2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Off-Season Fitness

As I continue through my off-season plan (which you can read here and here), one aspect that I have tried to work on is a more golf specific fitness plan. Not the "I made a resolution to workout, blah, blah, blah" plan, but to actually incorporate exercises that will help ingrain better muscle memory for my golf swing, increase flexibility, and prevent me from losing any time during my golf season due to injury.

I also have another motivating factor which is purely selfish as I want to be one of the first men not to gain any "sympathy weight" during my wife's pregnancy.

Rather than spend money on a gym membership and risk the chance I would be too lazy to drive there, I built a small gym in my basement. Over the last three years I have purchased an elliptical, a treadmill, a Bowflex, a Swiss Ball, some dumbbells, and a five-pound medicine ball. I still need the 50-inch plasma, but that's for another time… <grin>

I have moved from the "how much can I bench press follies" of my youth into a total body workout plan that incorporates not only exercises to generate power and create muscle mass but also even more important, to develop and maintain flexibility. Flexibility and stretching is one area that I personally did not pay any attention to in the past and this lack of focus has caused a few minor injuries over the years. There's nothing worse than having to miss out on part of your golf season due to injury or having to cut your golf trip short because you can't finish the first day's 36 holes.

With all the different workout equipment available as well as several magazines, DVDs, and infomercials, it can be a bit daunting to put together a fitness plan. Your plan doesn't have to be that elaborate nor do you need to spend thousands of dollars on equipment that will end up being nothing more than a place to hang clothes to dry. Doing a little research before you start can save you time, money and frustration.

One of the better websites that I have used is the Titleist Performance Institute. Since Erik's review, MyTPI has gone from charging for their services (and individualizing your workout) to a free site that contains a great deal of information. They have quite an extensive article database you can use to find different exercises to assist in building a workout plan, video tips that show you how to do all the exercises as well as the Golf Fitness Academy clips that you may have seen on The Golf Channel.

If you are looking for a starting point to help build a workout plan, MyTPI is the place to go. Some other good resources I have found were the fitness sections at Golf Digest , Golf Magazine, Men's Health and The Golf Channel. All contain various golf specific exercises and workout plans that you can pick and choose from to develop a routine that is tailored to you.

If you have a gym close by or need a personal trainer to motivate you to keep you on your plan, then joining a gym may be a good idea. You have numerous pieces of fitness equipment available to use as well as the assistance of a staff of personal trainers that can help design a fitness plan that can help you reach your goals. Also, you have different classes you can take so don't get bored doing the same routine over and over. The last gym I belonged to even went so far to cater to golfers as to develop not only golf specific exercises their members could incorporate into their routines but also set up entire workout classes for golfers.

Cardiovascular activity is also a very important component to your workout routine. According to the the American Sports Medicine Institute:

Cardiovascular fitness is a special form of muscular endurance. It is the efficiency of the heart, lungs, and vascular system in delivering oxygen to the working muscle tissues so that prolonged physical work can be maintained. A person's ability to deliver oxygen to the working muscles is affected by many physiological parameters, including heart rate, stroke volume, cardiac output, and maximal oxygen consumption.

Walking briskly, running, biking, swimming, cross-country skiing and playing basketball are just some examples of activities you can do to get into better shape. Also, taking the stairs rather than using an elevator or parking your car further away from the entrance/exit door at work or at the mall are some other subtle ways you can exercise everyday.

Conclusion

Building an exercise plan doesn't have to be a difficult proposition. You don't need to spend hours upon hours putting together a complicated plan that you will abandon in a few weeks. Start with simple and easy exercises and move up as your strength, flexibility and motivation increases. It could be something like walking on a treadmill while watching golf on the weekend or jumping rope in your basement or garage several times a week. It doesn't have to be expensive either. Jump ropes, medicine balls, swiss balls, free weights and tubing are all examples of fitness equipment that is inexpensive and will provide you with many ways to gain strength and flexibility. Whether you buy a gym membership or pick up some equipment to use at your home the most important thing you can do is to start exercising today. Exercising not only will help out your golf game next season but will also help ensure you have plenty of golf seasons to come.

<span class="credit"> Photo Credits: © Golf Link, © MyTPI, © About:Golf

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Joined a new gym in January and have never looked back. My Girlfriend and I made a plan to start going to the gym it was not a resolution but we were just sick and tired or being over weight. She started weight watchers and I started to eat better. We are going 3 times a week Tuesday, Friday and Sunday she has lost 34lbs and I have lost 23lbs. I have had such an increase in confidence and energy not to mention my posture is 100% I can see nice tone in my body and I can fit into pants that I actually like. I have not focused my workout routine 100% on golf related exercises but I do life lighter weights and higher reps as to not gain too much mass and I make sure I am constantly stretching after each set. It's amazing how much better you feel and how much more energy you get because of working out. I have not be able to see how much of a difference it will make on my game because it is the ending of winter but I can't wait to get out there and hit the links.

Since I have been deployed since January, I have started to run 5 - 6 times a week right after I wake up, and then hit the gym for weightlifting in the evenings. This has helped, because even though I am not the biggest guy (I am not trying to be), I have more energy, and it helps pass the time. I won't be able to play until the beginning of Summer, so it will be interesting to see how I benefit. I know that it will help with my endurance towards the end of the round.

If you are looking to get into a healthier lifestyle, you should check out the Body For Life challenge. It is a 12 week challenge that focuses on cardio vascular health and muscle endurance. It is quite good and will help.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.