What's your "hidden gem" golf course?

1235»

Comments

• iyi4iyianiyi4iyian Posts: 760 ✭✭
    tnels20 wrote:

I would have to say with the Golfnow app, I have found many "hidden gems" due to some great deals. Best I would say is a nice course called Table Creek near Nebraska City off Hwy. 2 about 45 min. east of Lincoln. I have played many rounds there for less than $20 for 18 & cart. Course was always in real good condition last summer. I just checked now and they have some $13 deals for this weekend. Insane. Their website is even impressive. http://www.tablecreek.com/

Capture.JPG

Thanks for posting. I've always noticed it on there but never actually set up a time. Looks like I will have to get out there sometime soon.

seeing rounds for this cheap makes me want to vomit...rounds in NY cost an arm and a leg!
    Driver: Taylormade M5 - 10.5º - Fuji Black Tour Spec 6s
    Fairway:
    Hybrid: Taylormade TP UDI - 18º - C-Taper Lite 110 S
    Irons: Taylormade P790 4-6 & P770 7-PW - DGTI S400
    Wedges: Taylormade Milled Grind - 50º & 55º and Hi-Toe 60º DGTI S400
    Putter: Taylormade Spider X Copper - 34 inches 
  • masemoneymasemoney Members Posts: 32
    Any course I can tee it up with my dad and brother. Is a hidden gem
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,150 ✭✭
    ephmen wrote:

Taconic Golf Club, Williams College, Williamstown, MA. Go EPHS!

I concur. (See post #15.)
    On Sundays, I used to play hickory
  • GBglfrGBglfr Posts: 167
    My first gem is well known locally but would probably get scoffs from outsiders, its our county course Brown County. Plays about 6800 from tips, is quintessential woodlands golf, and just recently renovated every green to perfection. Its worth the search in northeast Wisconsin.

My other course is truly a hidden gem as its hard to find and always empty. That would be eagle creek in hortonville wi. Its a spectacular layout with lots of distance. Also helps that its normally in pristine shape due to lack of play. The only downside is the green structure. Some think its gimmicky and unfair. Welp, everyone has to play the same greens so I say get over it and enjoy the value. Normally play 18 w/ cart for under 40$, many times under 30$.
  • BrettasaurusBrettasaurus Members Posts: 812
    edited May 28, 2014 #126

Sarabay in Sarasota

Golf Club of Oklahoma in Tulsa

Both are outstanding tests of golf

The Golf Club of Oklahoma is my home course. It's out in the "country" and private but it is a great Tom Fazio design. The back 9 is more visually striking but I prefer the front 9 for its subtleties. A 280 yard tee shot on the Par 5 8th leaves you with this for a second shot;
  • scagnettiscagnetti Haq Attaq Members Posts: 549 ✭✭
    private courses shouldn't count as a 'hidden gem' as they are immediately inaccessible...

I've a few to recommend, for LA city dwellers, a weekday round at Roosevelt in Griffith Park across from The Greek Theatre is always fun, fast and affordable...

Back in my family's home in Kansas City, Missouri, a couple munis come to mind, Shoal Creek up north of the river, and Swope Memorial out south in Swope park. I have an irrational love for Minor Park, but I know people hate it...

And one more random course, if ever in Manila, Philippines, you will likely be playing 30-60 minutes outside the city, north or south, and if you find your way out south, in Cavite, there's a tiny little place that is just wonderful, South Forbes Golf Club, which can be played with a cart and a caddie (w/o tip) for about $15 USD...

Incidentally, Sugarloaf Social Club has a similar list of courses that can be found across the USA at their site HERE
    Winter Bag

Sun Mountain 2017 4.5LS Stand Bag
    PING Anser 9* GD Tour AD Di-6-X
    PING Rapture (2014) 13* 3W Aldila RIP Phenom Tour 70-X
    Wilson/Staff D-100 17* 2H Matrix Ozik Altus 5.6-S
    Callaway Apex UT 21* & 24* UST Mamiya Recoil 680 F4
    Adams Idea Black CB2 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S
    Nike VR Pro X3X 52/10 & 58/08  DG S400
    Odyssey TD Black 9
  • Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,650 ✭✭
    I'd say Stone Ridge outside of Eagle Point, Oregon fits the bill. Local's favorite, but unfortunately the conditioning has been sliding off over the years.
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 19,927 ✭✭
    There are over 200 public courses in the Chicago area (i.e. < 90 miles from downtown). We have some excellent courses, and a ton of OK munis. My pick for hidden gem would be Longwood GC in south suburban Crete. Illinois is the 2nd flattest state in the country next to Florida, so finding any significant elevation changes east of the Mississippi River valley is tough. While it's certainly no mountain course, Longwood has more elevation that your typical Chicago course. I believe the course is family owned, and conditioning can be spotty. However, peak weekend rates are only $30 walking, and $36 with cart. After 11 am it's only $24 to walk. By comparison, most of the municipal courses in the area charge more than $50 to walk.

An honorable mention would go to PrairieView GC in Byron, IL. Weekend rates are $42 w/ cart, and the course can be walked during the week for $18.
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Posts: 906 ✭✭
    Eagle Chase in Marshville, NC
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • DeeBee30DeeBee30 Posts: 295 ✭✭
    Argonne - interesting to hear Longwood mentioned. I've played it a few times over the last few years and always thought it was certainly a diamond in the rough. As you said, nice elevation changes - which is fairly rare around here - and it's a great deal (as you're likely to find down South). I talked to the GM there a few weeks ago and he said they're trying to attract more play - specifically, offering an annual unlimited membership for $1250 and a "value" membership for $200/yr + $16 per round.

Don't know if you know this, but the course has been for sale for quite a while. It went into receivership a few years ago and is currently owned by the bank. Maybe we should get a group of WRXers to pool together a few hundred grand. Tough business to be in these days, but it would be interesting to see if it could turn a small profit.
    Couple of woods
    OG Rescue club
    Some irons
    Fistful of wedges
    Flat stick
    Some balls
    Shop Pride Evolution Striped Plastic 2-3/4" tees
    Kapalua Color Magic Minuteman repair tool
    2001 & 2003 state quarter ball markers
  • runningdogrunningdog Members Posts: 18
    There are a lot, but the one that sticks out is the Machrie Links on the island of Islay (Scotland). It's the only course on the island and most of the people who visit (there aren't really that many, as it's a bit of a pain to get to) are there to drink scotch. I did both and couldn't have enjoyed Machrie more. My friend carried the bag and the flask and we walked the course and were the only ones out there. Definitely worth bringing the clubs if you're in the area (...and play Machrihanish and Machrihanish Dunes before you get on the ferry in Cambeltown).
  • FairwayFredFairwayFred Sponsors Posts: 3,967 ✭✭
    runningdog wrote:

There are a lot, but the one that sticks out is the Machrie Links on the island of Islay (Scotland). It's the only course on the island and most of the people who visit (there aren't really that many, as it's a bit of a pain to get to) are there to drink scotch. I did both and couldn't have enjoyed Machrie more. My friend carried the bag and the flask and we walked the course and were the only ones out there. Definitely worth bringing the clubs if you're in the area (...and play Machrihanish and Machrihanish Dunes before you get on the ferry in Cambeltown).

Did you play the new Machrie or the old? They just completely redid the course.

If your in the area don't miss Dunaverty in Southend (just south of Campbeltown) it's on land that would make Pebble Beach jealous.
    FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
    Ari Techner
    National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
    [email protected]
    IG: @nationalcustom
    Twitter: @WorksNational
    (still a huge club HO)
  • silver504silver504 Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Mirimichi Golf Course, Millington, TN

Used to be owned by Justin Timberlake in 2009
1235»