Victoria BC Canada Course recommendations?

Alastor

not really sure about transit, but Google maps will help.

From the downtown area, Highland Pacific is a decent choice. Greens fees about $75 plus $25 / $45 rental clubs. It's a walkable course (if you're in shape) and is set on the side of a mountain.

Bear Mountain is pretty far from downtown by transit. The Valley course is fun; the Mountain course is a hard slog. Fee $150 plus $60 rental.

(The best & most scenic course in the area is Victoria GC, but it is private, expensive and may not have rentals.)

Bear will be pretty much impossible from public transit as nothing goes up the hill i don't think. Uplands is probably your best bet reasonably easy to get to via transit and a pretty good track. If you can try to get on VGC or Colwood you should both can be played as a non-member but are pricy. VGC is easy to get to from downtown by bus, I did it all school year.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

I've done some more research, and bear mountain is not gonna happen. Impossible to reach without a rental car or very expensive cab ride! Turns out I may be able to play Victoria GC as a non-member! 200 bucks plus whatever for the clubs. Probably we'll worth it though, as I've read it's one of nicest couses in BC. They'll call me if they find a chaperon. If it doesn't work out highland pacific looks promising. May check out the Cedar Hill muni today as it's right down the street from where I'm staying. Anybody have any experience there?

[quote name='Alastor' timestamp='1399917395' post='9280207']
I've done some more research, and bear mountain is not gonna happen. Impossible to reach without a rental car or very expensive cab ride! Turns out I may be able to play Victoria GC as a non-member! 200 bucks plus whatever for the clubs. Probably we'll worth it though, as I've read it's one of nicest couses in BC. They'll call me if they find a chaperon. If it doesn't work out highland pacific looks promising. May check out the Cedar Hill muni today as it's right down the street from where I'm staying. Anybody have any experience there?
[/quote] If the 200 doesn't bother you I'd try to get onto Royal Colwood, I think its 140 and you can get there via bus from downtown. VGC has some great views and some great holes, although it does have a few mediocre ones. I think as a one time thing it would be a good experience to have

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Didn't play golf when we there but it's hard not to love Victoria. Easily one of the coolest cities I've ever seen. There are tons of places to go for a drink/bite but I highly recommend Bard & Banker. Good food and Innis and Gunn is pretty tough to beat.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

Thanks All for all the help and suggestions! I was busy and internet access was spotty, but I'm back home and thought I'd update all or anybody in the future who finds this thread if they're visiting Victoria. I did play my first round at Cedar Hill as time was a short and so was the bus ride. I didn't have high expectations as most of the online reviews were pretty mediocre. I actually ended having a really good day! Firstly I think I played the course at the best possible time of the year. Being late spring the grass was in great shape. The fairways were lush, definitely slower than the dryer fairways I'm used to in Southern California, but very playable. The greens looked like they'd been punched 2-3 weeks earlier. They too were on the slower side but very playable. I actually found the course to be a pretty interesting layout for a longer (par 67) executive. As ryu123 mentioned there are lots of up and down hill holes (mostly on the front). The Par 4s were on the shorter side for the most part, with large landing areas. The threes were both long and short and often well protected. I especially liked Hole 10. A beautiful short par 3 with a long narrow landing area in the front. I was paired up with a threesome of locals who were great fun for the day, and even gave me a ride home at the end. Lastly the rental clubs. They were new Top Flight Stratas. The irons were actually playable for the most part, but the steels shafted hybrids and 3 wood were a joke. I did actually hit a few good drives with the driver, but it was really cheapish to say the least. I heard the old rentals were old clubs that were complete garbage, so these must have been a huge improvement.

I never heard back from the Victoria Golf Club, Colwood had a tournament, as did Uplands. Ended up playing Highland Pacific, as it was the only course that actually had tee times, and was an EASY bus ride from my sisters house. I was not disappointed. Brand new Taylormade Speedblades, woods, and driver for rentals. They even had them in different flexes! The course was beautiful, and very well maintained. The fairways had been punched recently so they were a little shaggy, but overall not a big deal. Lots of BEAUTIFUL holes cut out of the mountain. I did make the mistake of walking. It was quite the trek and I was very tuckered by the last few holes and completely fell apart. Oh well, it was still fun even finishing with the bad golf. I've attached a few pictures.

Thanks again everybody for all the help, it really helped! And for anybody considering playing a round or two in Victoria you won't be disappointed. Both courses were very picturesque and playable. Hope to return soon and check out the private clubs! :)

• 2 months later...

Highland Pacific is great. Unique range too.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

• 10 months later...

I'm staying at the Bear Mountain Resort over Labour Day weekend.

Planning on playing both sides and am looking for a 3rd course. Highland Pacific seems to be pretty close. Anything else I should consider that's nearby?

Titleist 917D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
Titleist 917F 18* GD DI-7s
Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Ball: 7 yards ahead of Cruisin's

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna play Olympic View on Friday then the Bear Mountian courses Saturday/Sunday.

I haven't played at sea level for years. What's the factor people use? full club?

Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

[quote name='Double K' timestamp='1437007417' post='11956828']
Gonna play Olympic View on Friday then the Bear Mountian courses Saturday/Sunday.

I haven't played at sea level for years. What's the factor people use? full club?
[/quote]When I was in Victoria I found it a little over 10%. That was all in the winter though and right on the coast. The one time I played bear mountain it was definitely less different albeit I played it in 30* weather which helped carry too

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Go with one club as you are from Calgary. That's the advice I give to Albertans who live in the high country. Calgary is at 3300 feet (AGL) and Bear Mountain is at 500 feet (AGL). Olympic View is at about 300 feet (approx.). If you can get on Victoria Golf Club, hole 5 is about 10 feet on the left side of the fairway and in the ocean just right of the fairway.

Hope your round went OK at OV. Both courses at BM are different in character. Lots of blind shots on the Mountain Course with big greens that tend to be over read. The Valley has a bias on the greens that runs from Mt Finlayson to the valley. No putt has ever broken towards Mt Finlayson. The drop on hole #6 to the green (par 3) is 28 yards.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a golf vancouver island card (won it free from the Vancouver golf show :) ) and am going to head over to Victoria and make my way up the island. after reading the comments here it sounds like everyone likes Highland Links, so am looking to go there or olympic view (eventually both). I prefer to walk and dont really care if its a bit hilly, but would just like to confirm that both Olympic view and Highland links are both walkable ? The poster above said he "made the mistake" of walking highland links, but it doesn't look too bad from his pictures. I walk Northlands in North Vancouver as a reference and a couple holes are a bit of a b***h, but I would prefer to sweat a bit and save $20, but just dont want to walk a big distances between holes, etc.

Slightly off topic, but has anyone walked Crown Isle/Fairwinds/Story Creek up the island ? I am just going to hit up some of them as well and am not sure if carts are required there or not.

Thanks

I think you are referring to Highland Pacific. It's a tough walk. Lots of up hill. Nice Course though. Olympic View is certainly walkable. I walked and carried over 100 rounds there last year and I'm 65. There is a courtesy cart after #9 to get you up to the tee box on 10. Walk up the chip trail at the head of the green and jump in the cart. The courses up island that you mentioned Crown Isle, Storey Creek and Fairwinds are all walkable and carts are not required. Storey Creek is my favourite of the up island courses. The weather right now is perfect for golf but courses are having water shortages with 30 degrees Celsius predicted for this weekend. Should make for some hard and fast fairways. Hope you have a good trip.

[quote name='ryu123' timestamp='1399931017' post='9281783']
personally, I think $200 is worth it for Victoria. It's on the southernmost point of Vancouver Island, and holes 3 - 9 are breathtaking. Without exaggeration, it's like Monterey North.
[/quote]

I 100% agree. I've played Pebble, Spyglass and a few others in Monterey and the feeling I get playing VGC is just as good. I'd take a round at VGC over Spyglass any day of the week.

For anyone who wants to play VGC I have a tee time for this Sunday afternoon. As of now I have an extra spot to fill so if anyone here wants to join us please PM me and I'll give you the details.

[quote name='kokinos' timestamp='1438208752' post='12044102']
[quote name='ryu123' timestamp='1399931017' post='9281783']
personally, I think $200 is worth it for Victoria. It's on the southernmost point of Vancouver Island, and holes 3 - 9 are breathtaking. Without exaggeration, it's like Monterey North.
[/quote]

I 100% agree. I've played Pebble, Spyglass and a few others in Monterey and the feeling I get playing VGC is just as good. I'd take a round at VGC over Spyglass any day of the week.

For anyone who wants to play VGC I have a tee time for this Sunday afternoon. As of now I have an extra spot to fill so if anyone here wants to join us please PM me and I'll give you the details.
[/quote]
Jump on this someone, you won't be disappointed. I was a member there when I was at school at UVic 3 and 2 winters ago, great place and beautiful course, only regret is I never played it in the summer when it was a little firmer. Some world class holes.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='sikoram' timestamp='1438130855' post='12038230']
I think you are referring to Highland Pacific. It's a tough walk. Lots of up hill. Nice Course though. Olympic View is certainly walkable. I walked and carried over 100 rounds there last year and I'm 65. There is a courtesy cart after #9 to get you up to the tee box on 10. Walk up the chip trail at the head of the green and jump in the cart. The courses up island that you mentioned Crown Isle, Storey Creek and Fairwinds are all walkable and carts are not required. Storey Creek is my favourite of the up island courses. The weather right now is perfect for golf but courses are having water shortages with 30 degrees Celsius predicted for this weekend. Should make for some hard and fast fairways. Hope you have a good trip.
[/quote]

Thanks for your tips here, and just came back from going up island to Fairwinds, Crown Isle and Storey Creek. I know I'm going slightly off topic here but Storey Creek is a beautiful course carved out of the forest, where each hole is on its own, and it's just you and nature for 4 hours. I would definitely make the trip up there if you are near the mid island area. Crown Isle was nice, but was in a resort setting, and Fairwinds was a decent shorter course. Here are a couple pics of Storey Creek as well as some new friends beating the heat in the shade at Fairwinds.

Great pics of Storey. I am going up island for a week in September and will play there at least twice. Here's a Golfnow story. I booked a foursome at 2:45 pm last Saturday for the bargain price of $20.00 each and tax and booking fees for a total of $98.00 at Crown Isle. I have only ever seen it at $50.00 each at twilight. We were good to go and teed off early at around 2 pm in a light rain. After 9 holes we were done. Driving rain, sideways as the wind was 30 knots and standing water everywhere. No rain checks with Golfnow but that's the luck of the draw. I've always used Golfnow in my travels. It was still a good deal for 9 holes and we had a good laugh about how unprepared we were!

• 2 weeks later...

Just had two days of rain with more in the forecast until mid week. Olympic View is in good shape with greens a little firmer than I would like. The recent and forthcoming rain should soften them up. We were in drought conditions until this week but the Victoria (Capital Regional district) dam was increased in size about 5 years ago and we are only on stage 1 water restrictions which is normal watering. The Lower Mainland (Vancouver) is under heavier restrictions.

I'm booked into Olympic View as a single for Friday. Staying at Bear Mountain all weekend. What course should I play twice? I'm looking to get 36 in on Saturday and just 18 on Sunday. I've been told to play Mountain twice... Thoughts???

Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Go Mountain twice. The Valley is currently the site of the PNGA Mid Am so the greens are quick. They are done Thursday afternoon. We have had a lot of rain over here that has slowed the greens down a bit. Bring Gortex just in case for your round at Olympic View. Saturday is supposed to be sunny and 20 degrees. Its dark at 8 pm now so get your first round in early at BM. Tee times start at 0700.

FYI if you are staying at BM, the range is free anytime as part of your resort fee.