2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Project X LZ Hand Crafted Now Available

TrueTemper

The new Project X LZ Hand Crafted shafts are now available through Performance Fitting Centers and OEM custom programs. All Project X LZ Hand Crafted shafts are proudly and meticulously created in Project X's San Diego Prototype Lab.

Loading Zone Technology

The LZ in Project X LZ stands for loading zone technology which is designed into each shaft and specifically positioned by flex. This unique technology maximizes shaft load during the downswing for 7% greater energy transfer to the ball at impact.

Loading Zone technology is a strategically positioned localized area of reduced bending stiffness in the mid section that fine tunes the spin/flex properties of the shaft.

This unique recipe of a very flexible mid section combined with robust butt and tip sections produces a radically different shaft load profile during the downswing to optimize energy transfer to the ball at impact.

FlexLok

Proprietary FlexLok™ torsional bands provide ultimate stability in the loading zone to reduce twisting and ovalization resulting in even greater efficiency of energy transfer.

Weight Profiles

Project X LZ Hand Crafted is available in three weight profiles: 50g, 60g, 70g. Each weight category has specific flex designations and a unique color.

Project X LZ 50g: White; 5.0-7.0

Project X LZ 60g: Blue; 5.5-7.0

Project X LZ 70g; Lime Green; 6.0-7.0

For full specs and more information, visit www.pxshaft.com.

WITB

Driver-Titleist TSr3 9* w/ HZRDUS Green 60TX (HULK)

3 Wood-Titleist TSi2 15* w/ ACCRA TZFive 70 M5 (Masters Edition)

Irons-Taylormade P7MC 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Wedges-Titleist Vokey 56.12D &60.12D w/ Dynamic Gold Mid S400

Putter-Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec Newport 2 w/ Steelfiber i125p

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the 7% greater energy transfer, does that directly relate to 7% more ball speed? If so that'd be amazing. I'm guessing it's not though...

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/[/url]

[quote name='wcbjr' timestamp='1400070533' post='9292451']
Gotta ask, why only available through PFC's?
[/quote]

If they are genuinely hand made my guess is volume would be a big bottleneck for them if they tried to go full retail.

Hand laid/wound carbon on a mandrel plus adding woven carbon on a specific area of the mandrel sounds labor intensive.

Doubt ruins more dreams than failure
ever will - someone on the internet

Tried one yesterday in a Bertha alpha, incredible feel of that shaft loading in loading.
Flight was very true to loft (not high not low) but the spin seemed very good especially considering it was a 6.0 and I typically play X.
And of course the texture of the shaft and graphics are incredible in person!
Can't afford the msrps I've heard floating around but a sweet shaft none the less!

I was surprised as well to see it as an option on the Callaway fitting cart as well. I did not get a chance to hit it, but I hope to soon.

Driver. RBZ Tour TP 9 Kaili 70x
Three Wood: RBZ Tour TP 14.5 RIP Beta 70
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19 Kuro Kage
Irons: TaylorMade 2014 CB 4,5, MC 6-PW
Putter: Odyssey Protype Black #9
Wedges: Vokey 53/10 and 59/7

TrueTemper,

How would you respond to the research done by UST that says a very stiff mid section increases accuracy? This would be the opposite bend profile of the LZ. Many of the iron shafts gaining popularity have gone this route as well (KBS Tour-V, Nippon Modus).

Thanks in advance.

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

hit this in a BB and I tell you, this shaft is awesome ... plain and freaking simple
smooooooth, smooooth, smooooth
i wanted this set up in a BB bad ......

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1400363542' post='9315201']
TrueTemper,

How would you respond to the research done by UST that says a very stiff mid section increases accuracy? This would be the opposite bend profile of the LZ. Many of the iron shafts gaining popularity have gone this route as well (KBS Tour-V, Nippon Modus).

Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

DT

I am unaware of UST's research into their theory. Our goal with this technology was to find a way to bring more ball speed without going light weight (hard to get much lighter than the PXv 39). We have always known that increasing loading can increase stored energy released through the ball but can come at a loss of accuracy (a perfect illustration of this is swinging a ladies flex shaft as hard as you can).

Our goal was to create a shaft that is easier to load but without a loss of stability or accuracy.

We have done this in two ways.

1: Increasing tip and butt stiffness around the LZ. The EI profile attached shows the loading zone in the middle of the shaft with the slightly stiffer butt and tip sections. This gives us the same launch and spin control as original PX shafts but the soft mid section makes the shaft easier to load

2: Flex Lok material. The Loading zone has a reduced laminate thickness compared to standard PX which could lead to increased deformation of this section resulting in a loss of energy transfer and stability. The Flex Lok material we wrap around the loading zone brings stability back to this region.

Thanks for the questions and your interest
Don
Lead designer
Project X

WITB

[quote name='TrueTemper' timestamp='1400409875' post='9317397']
TrueTemper,

Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

DT

I am unaware of UST's research into their theory. Our goal with this technology was to find a way to bring more ball speed without going light weight (hard to get much lighter than the PXv 39). We have always known that increasing loading can increase stored energy released through the ball but can come at a loss of accuracy (a perfect illustration of this is swinging a ladies flex shaft as hard as you can).

Our goal was to create a shaft that is easier to load but without a loss of stability or accuracy.

1: Increasing tip and butt stiffness around the LZ. The EI profile attached shows the loading zone in the middle of the shaft with the slightly stiffer butt and tip sections. This gives us the same launch and spin control as original PX shafts but the soft mid section makes the shaft easier to load

2: Flex Lok material. The Loading zone has a reduced laminate thickness compared to standard PX which could lead to increased deformation of this section resulting in a loss of energy transfer and stability. The Flex Lok material we wrap around the loading zone brings stability back to this region.

Don
Lead designer
Project X
[/quote]

I really appreciate the feedback. Absolutely makes sense and I can't wait to try an LZ.

In terms of the UST findings, here is some info from their Elements line of shafts:

"UST Mamiya’s research has uncovered new data that proves Mid-Flex Stability is the most important feature in the golf shaft for spin and launch. The research to isolate the benefits of Mid-Flex Stability has led to the design and extension of the mid-section profile to enhance performance, reduce dispersion and increase ball speed. The result is longer, straighter and more accurate shots! Elements Fire is designed with an extremely stable and reinforced mid-section for a mid-launch and spin for a penetrating ball flight."

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1400414106' post='9317497']
[quote name='TrueTemper' timestamp='1400409875' post='9317397']
TrueTemper,

Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

DT

Don
Lead designer
Project X
[/quote]

I really appreciate the feedback. Absolutely makes sense and I can't wait to try an LZ.

In terms of the UST findings, here is some info from their Elements line of shafts:

"UST Mamiya's research has uncovered new data that proves Mid-Flex Stability is the most important feature in the golf shaft for spin and launch. The research to isolate the benefits of Mid-Flex Stability has led to the design and extension of the mid-section profile to enhance performance, reduce dispersion and increase ball speed. The result is longer, straighter and more accurate shots! Elements Fire is designed with an extremely stable and reinforced mid-section for a mid-launch and spin for a penetrating ball flight."
[/quote]

DT

I certainly understand their focus on mid flex stiffness for improved accuracy and spin control, there isn't a stiffer mid section in the world than the Grafalloy Blue and that design certainly controls both spin and accuracy... But the average player can't load a Blue (on Tour we actually had to label R flex Blues with S·, because tour players couldn't load the S) and that inhibits distance.

The goal of PX LZ was to increase energy transfer but maintain accuracy, The combo of Loading Zone and Flex Lok accomplishes just that.

Thanks
DB

WITB

[quote name='wcbjr' timestamp='1400070533' post='9292451']
Gotta ask, why only available through PFC's?
[/quote]

With a technology this new we want to makes sure people are properly fitted for it. It's a big cash outlay for it and we don't want anyone to buy one without being properly fitted either at a PFC or by an OEM fitter.

\

WITB

Yeah, I am loving my LZ right now. I can't remember a shaft that I have felt this much confidence in. In terms of accuracy and consistency it has to be a leader out there. The mid launch and low spin for me are also a bonus. I had a buddy of mine hit it today and was blown away at how good it was. Really need to try this shaft if you haven't.

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

Still loving mine too. It really works well for my swing. And I'm with you knudson, I haven't had this much confidence in a driver shaft in a really long time. Great distance and accuracy = perfect combo.

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

We are getting a demo in soon. Can't wait to hit it! Review coming very soon.

[b]Fairway Golf Online Store[/b] :golfer:
Website: [url="http://www.fairwaygolfusa.com"]http://www.fairwaygolfusa.com[/url]
Email: [email="[email protected]?subject=GolfWRX%20Inquiry"][email protected][/email]
Instagram:[url="https://instagram.com/fairwaygolfusa/"]https://instagram.com/fairwaygolfusa/[/url]
Phone: 1-619-702-1702

I got my demos in and put a 60 in a SLDR S last week. I've been very impressed so far, this might finally be an improvement over my original RBZ Tour/PX Black combination. I need to get a lighter weight in the S to match the head weight of my RBZ Tour and it might really be a winner.

2017 M1 460 9.5* Tensei Pro Orange or M1 440 10.5* HZRDUS T1100
2016 M1 3HL PXv Tour or SLDR Mini 16* 8M3
Adams Red 20* Altus Tour
JPX 900 Forged 4, 5 and Tour 6-PW Super Peening Blue
MP-T7 50*, 55* Super Peening Blue
MP-S5 60* DG TI Onyx
Ghost Tour Black Daytona

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Picked up a demo callaway xhot 9degree driver with project x handcrafted 6.0 shaft
I was hitting it well on range but felt i balloned a few balls with it
Brought it to course hitting prov x and taylormade tpx
This club with project shaft x is silly long
Ball takes off on medium piercing ball flight with plenty of rollout
Anyone else try this combo

• 6 months later...

[quote name='RochesterGuy' timestamp='1423791828' post='10942615']
True Temper,

I have been playing the PXv 52 6.0 in my driver for a few seasons. How would you compare it to the LZ 50 gram 6.0?

I play a ping G30 SFtec 12 degree… 95 MPH swing speed

Thanks
[/quote]

I know I am not True Temper, but I have had the chance to hit the PXv Tour 52 6.0, PXv 6.0, and the 60g LZ. The LZ for me launches lower and spins less than the PXv models. I also found the LZ to offer me more accuracy and consistency than the PXv models. I haven't hit the LZ 50, but I am loving the 60 and 70 that I currently have.

I have two lz shafts for my sldr 430
Lz 60 gram 6.0 flex found I flighted this tad low and has tendency to hit hooks
I believe this is because of heavy head in sldr
Lz 70 gram 6.5 flex this is the one for sldr
Launches higher with low spin numbers for me
Low 2000s with with straighter flight
I've a new project upcoming
Purchased a few new heads off a member here
Vega rad 03 10.5 head and matching 3/5 woods
Any input from other members I would appreciate
Club head speed 110 ball speed late 150s early 160s with sldr 430 10.5 launch angle 12/14 degrees tendency for draw flight

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Any thoughts on 6.0 vs. 6.5? I like 60g shafts, and I play PX 6.0 in my irons, and I play a Motore Speeder Tour Spec X 6.3 in my driver (10.5 Ping G30 LS Tec). swing speed around 110, maybe like 108-ish... I like the driver shaft, BUT am not entirely comfortable with it. I feel like the only time it works is when I try to just absolutely hammer it (off of left toe, and balls to the wall as if on a down-wind par 5). leads me to believe that it's a bit stout for me. I've always played X in my driver, as I play right to left and look for a like low launching/low spinning shafts for a little more stability for my flight, etc. but I want something that I can play more shots with than simply trying to launch it every time. Any suggestions re: whether I should go 6.0 or 6.5? I know that launch monitor testing is the right answer, but just looking for some feedback.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='jupiterkook' timestamp='1431454985' post='11546328']
Any thoughts on 6.0 vs. 6.5? I like 60g shafts, and I play PX 6.0 in my irons, and I play a Motore Speeder Tour Spec X 6.3 in my driver (10.5 Ping G30 LS Tec). swing speed around 110, maybe like 108-ish... I like the driver shaft, BUT am not entirely comfortable with it. I feel like the only time it works is when I try to just absolutely hammer it (off of left toe, and balls to the wall as if on a down-wind par 5). leads me to believe that it's a bit stout for me. I've always played X in my driver, as I play right to left and look for a like low launching/low spinning shafts for a little more stability for my flight, etc. but I want something that I can play more shots with than simply trying to launch it every time. Any suggestions re: whether I should go 6.0 or 6.5? I know that launch monitor testing is the right answer, but just looking for some feedback.
[/quote]

I have a very similar SS as you, ~108mph, and I am playing the 6.5 untipped. I will admit that I like the feel of a little more boardy shaft, so the 6.5 feels better than the 6.0 to me. I never felt like I had to go after it more with the 6.5 in order to hit it straighter or get more out of it. My normal swing produces a great ball flight will low spin. When I hit the 6.0 the performance wasn't a ton different. Little higher launch and with a little more draw, but I was impressed with the stability of the 6.0. Then again I feel like the LZ is one of the more stable shafts I have hit.

These shafts are absolutely fantastic. It's very hard to explain how a shaft can be so stable yet feel so explosive through impact. I went through a trackman fairway wood fitting and consistently hit the PX LZ 10 yards longer than any other shaft out there ~~ and the scary thing was the ball went straight. For those of you who have the opportunity to try one of these shafts, I can't suggest it enough. Plus, unlike most of the equipment out these, these are hand crafted in the USA ~~ how cool is that!!

Ping G430 LST 10.5* // Fujikura Speeder NX Green 60 X
Ping G430 Max 15* // Fujikura Speeder NX Green 70 X

Srixon ZX MKII 3H // Fujikura Speeder 904H S
Ping Blueprint S (4-W) // Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Titleist SM9 50F, 56S, 60L // Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Byron Morgan DH89

[quote name='knudson81' timestamp='1432814273' post='11641870']
[quote name='jupiterkook' timestamp='1431454985' post='11546328']
[/quote]

I have a very similar SS as you, ~108mph, and I am playing the 6.5 untipped. I will admit that I like the feel of a little more boardy shaft, so the 6.5 feels better than the 6.0 to me. I never felt like I had to go after it more with the 6.5 in order to hit it straighter or get more out of it. My normal swing produces a great ball flight will low spin. When I hit the 6.0 the performance wasn't a ton different. Little higher launch and with a little more draw, but I was impressed with the stability of the 6.0. Then again I feel like the LZ is one of the more stable shafts I have hit.
[/quote]

+1 My swing speed is very similar and I am using the 6.5 untipped in my driver. That said, I've found the LZ to be such a low spinning and stable shaft that you might be able to go down in flex and still have good control over the shaft. It might also be worth considering tipping a 6.0 to get a shaft that plays somewhere between the two flexes. I think I would try to get my hands of a demo first though.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* // Fujikura Speeder NX Green 60 X
Ping G430 Max 15* // Fujikura Speeder NX Green 70 X

Srixon ZX MKII 3H // Fujikura Speeder 904H S
Ping Blueprint S (4-W) // Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Titleist SM9 50F, 56S, 60L // Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Byron Morgan DH89

I picked up a new 70g 7.0 at a great price recently and wasn't sure what to do with it. I had an extra Nike FlexLoft tip laying around on my workbench and figured, why not? I took it out for one range session Saturday and then played 36 on Sunday in my Nike Vapor Flex. Unbelievable! Explosive is a great word to describe it. I mentioned this in another post, but I hit the longest drive I've hit in 10 years with this shaft and head combo. And dispersion was amazing too. Missed 4 fairways all day. My SS is 112-115 and I went with the 7.0 untipped. It's perfect! I had no complaints with the Rogue, until I hit this shaft. Rogue is a 60X 125MSI tipped 1/2 inch.

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

• 1 month later...