Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Irons

JHagJHag Members Posts: 39
Just got back from the range and 9 holes with these irons. I'm blown away. I've never played Bridgestone clubs before. I wish I had tried these sooner. I have the Project X flighted shafts in them. The feel of the irons are very soft and solid. The long irons are easy to hit up in the air and the short irons don't balloon at all. I found the forgiveness better than my s55 ping irons. It's too bad they aren't more readily available to demo because I think they have an awesome iron here.

Comments

• trp3319trp3319 Members Posts: 537 ✭✭
    CB or DCP?
  • PuppetmasterPuppetmaster Members Posts: 14,933
    trp3319 wrote:

CB or DCP?

Title says DPC.

JHag, glad you found them. There have been many threads on the DPC recently as more people discover how good of an iron they are. I've thoroughly enjoyed mine since getting them late last season.
    WITB Link

Cobra King Ltd 8.5*, Speeder TS 6.2
    Callaway BBA 16*, Speeder TS 8.2
    Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump
    Maxfli Revolution 4-PW, DG
    Vokey 254.10, V-Grind 60*
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M
  • JHagJHag Members Posts: 39
    edited May 27, 2014 #4
    trp3319 wrote:

CB or DCP?

DPC
  • trp3319trp3319 Members Posts: 537 ✭✭

trp3319 wrote:

CB or DCP?

Title says DPC.

JHag, glad you found them. There have been many threads on the DPC recently as more people discover how good of an iron they are. I've thoroughly enjoyed mine since getting them late last season.

Lol, duh...somehow I missed it. Thanks for pointing it out
  • rtraudtrtraudt Members Posts: 1,747 ✭✭

trp3319 wrote:

CB or DCP?

Title says DPC.

All hail the puppetmaster for helping me discover these as well. Picked up a set at the beginning of the year and I couldn't be happier. They're all I'm asking for in an iron- great feel, thin topline, great turf interaction, and as much (if not more) forgiveness than you could ever hope to find in an iron with a "player's look.". Plus I rather enjoy the fact that none of the guys I play with have Bridgestone irons. Owning them is like knowing about an amazing hole in the wall restaurant that few realize even exists.
    Callaway Epic SZ 9* Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8 63 or Yonex Ezone 380 9* Matrix MFS 40+
    TM M2 15* Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8 73 or Yonex Ezone ST 15* Matrix MFS 40+
    TM TP UDI 21* S300
    Adams MB2 Raw 4-P S300
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54 Nippon Modus 115
    Cleveland RTX4 58 Nippon Modus 125
    Byron Morgan 612 or Odyssey Jailbird S Mini
    Sun Mountain 3.5/CaddyTek
    Snell MTB Red
  • blink3665blink3665 #TwistFaceExperience Members Posts: 5,966 ✭✭
    I'm glad you're enjoying them. I love my DPCs. Being a club ho I thought I would give them a try. I'm sure glad I did. I have the j38s, but they are pretty similar. They seem to be getting a lot of love recently. It's a great mix of forgiveness, looks, and feel.
    Srixon z785 9.5* EvenFlow Handcrafted Blue 65 / / Taylormade M4 9.5* EvenFlow Handcrafted Blue 65
    Taylormade M3 HL MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")
    Taylormade M4 19* UST Proforce V2h R -0.5" (40.25")
    Taylormade M4 22* UST Proforce V2h R -0.5" (39.75")
    Srixon 545 - 5-PW - 2* flat - Modus3 120s - Best Grips Classic
    Cleveland CBX 48* +1* loft - -0.75" - 2* flat
    Cleveland RTX4 Raw 54* mid, 58* xlow -0.75" - 2* flat // TM Hi Toe 58* 2* flat
    Slighter Proto 1 - #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*
    Odyssey OWorks 2ball - 32"
    GolfWRX (Nike Collegiate) bag (White) / Nike HyperAdapt

WITB Link
  • Fade to BlackFade to Black Members Posts: 3,776 ✭✭
    More or less forgiving than the AP2s (712)
    Driver: Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
    Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
    Irons: Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
    Wedges: Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
    Putter: Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
    Balls: Srixon ZstarXV
  • RPJETRPJET Posts: 317 ✭✭
    I hit the J40 DPC's for the first time a few days ago. I was really impressed. I agree with the other posters. It is a great set of irons.

(Fade to Black). They are more forgiving then the AP2's.
    Cobra F8+ 9.5 - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60S
    Cobra F8+14* - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60S
    TM RBZ Black19* & 22* hybrids
    TM P790 5-AW - TT DG105 S300
    Titleist SM7 wedges 54* 58*
    Ping Karsten Series Zing putter
  • Agreed!

I have the J40 CB's with KBS Tour Stiff and couldn't be happier.
  • endyendy Members Posts: 3,099 ✭✭
    Hidden Gem for sure! These irons are tough to beat!
    Srixon Z785 9.5* KK XD 60TX
    Srixon F85 13.5* Atmos Black TS 8TX
    Srixon H85 19* Oban Kiyoshi Black 90X
    Srixon Z785 4-PW KBS $-Taper 130X
    Cleveland RTX-4 50/54/60 TI S400
    Toulon Garage Columbus
    Srixon Z-Star XV
  • rtraudtrtraudt Members Posts: 1,747 ✭✭
    RPJET wrote:

I hit the J40 DPC's for the first time a few days ago. I was really impressed. I agree with the other posters. It is a great set of irons.

(Fade to Black). They are more forgiving then the AP2's.

I would have to agree. Plus, IMO, they look way better than the AP2s. Something about forgiveness in such a clean package that is appealing. No multi-material badges, designs, etc. to clutter it up. Tell me this doesn't look fantastic...Bridgestone_J40_DPC_irons_01.jpg?m=1343432445
    Callaway Epic SZ 9* Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8 63 or Yonex Ezone 380 9* Matrix MFS 40+
    TM M2 15* Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8 73 or Yonex Ezone ST 15* Matrix MFS 40+
    TM TP UDI 21* S300
    Adams MB2 Raw 4-P S300
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54 Nippon Modus 115
    Cleveland RTX4 58 Nippon Modus 125
    Byron Morgan 612 or Odyssey Jailbird S Mini
    Sun Mountain 3.5/CaddyTek
    Snell MTB Red
  • MrFlapjackMrFlapjack Members Posts: 2,586 ✭✭
    They are crazy good irons.
    Cobra LTD Pro HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
    Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
    Srixon Z U45 18, 20, 23 () (Testing Cobra F8 and Ping G 3 hybrids)
    Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff) (Testing Cleveland CBX 7-PW, and Nike Vapor Fly 4-6 irons)
    RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff) (Testing Cleveland CBX wedges 48, 52, 56 bent to 50, 54, 58)
    YES Milly - 100gm TLP. (Testing Ping Ketsch Mid)
  • sectxag06sectxag06 Members Posts: 101
    I picked up a set of J40 CBs a couple of weeks ago with Nippon 1050s

They are incredible. Will be in the bag for a long time.
  • CallawayKid86CallawayKid86 Proud Member of Big Blue Nation!! Members Posts: 3,332 ✭✭
    The J40's are some of the best looking irons out there. Just picked up a set of J38 DPC on a trade. I need to remember never to venture away from Bstones. Something about them just works well for me.
    Royal Collection CV Pro 390 10* W/ Matrix F7M2
    Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 16.5* W/ Matrix F7M2 Proto
    Adams Super LS 19* W/ Kuro Kage 80
    Tour Edge Exotics Xtreme CB 5-PW W/ Aldila RIP SLT 115
    Fourteen RM22 50* W/ Aldila RIP SLT 115
    Cleveland RTG+ DSG 54*+60* W/ Aldila RIP SLT 115
    MacGregor Ironmaster IM Putter
    Bag - Honma Mini Staff
    Ball - Taylormade RBZ Urethane
  • hunter42hunter42 Members Posts: 346 ✭✭
    Great irons...look, feel, and forgiveness. Hard to find a negative with these irons.

Driver: Ping G25 10* V2 stiff

Fwy: Ping G25 4wd Ad DJ 6x

Hybrid: i25 22* Aerotech 110 stiff

Irons: 4-uw i25 Cfs Stiff

Wedges: Titleist SM 5 54*/58*

Putter: Cameron Golo 3 35inch
    Ping G400* Stiff
    Ping G 20 4 wood Stiff
    Callaway Steelhead Pro Stiff
    Titleist SM6 55/60
    Odyssey O Works 330M

Sun Mountain
  • Odoyle107Odoyle107 Members Posts: 163
    I just ordered a combo set yesterday of 4-6 DPC and 7-PW CB's, I am beyond excited to say the least. I was really torn on which set to get between these, the MP54's and the Apex Pros, but I have yet to find a negative review on these, and knowing that I probably won't run into someone else with the same set pushed me over the edge. This will be my first new set of irons since 2003 when I got the original RAC OS's in high school and I have been playing them since. I plan to do a full review in a few weeks hear once I receive them and get a few rounds under my belt.

For anyone looking, I would highly recommend giving Discount Dan's a call or shoot them an email. They gave me an awesome deal, and their customer service is top notch!
    R1 Black - TI Aldila Tour Green ATX65s
    07 Burner - 3 Wood
    Adams Pro DHy - 21*
    J40 DPC 4-6 and CB 7-P w/ PX 6.0
    Vokey SM5 50*f & 60*m - Raw Black
    Vokey SM5 56*m - Indigo
    WITB Link
  • CheckJVCheckJV Male Model Posts: 2,092 ✭✭
    I bought a set of J40 DPC's here in the BST and shafted them with a set of Project X 6.0 graphite. They are fabulous. Never thought I would find a set of irons that would knock my Cleveland TA2s out of the bag, but these have!
  • SwitchSwitch Members Posts: 580
    These irons ousted my AP2 714. Look much better to me, more forgiving, and feel better. Steelfiber i110 shafts.
    M1 460, Shaft TBD
    Epic 15*, Oban purple 05 flex
    SLDR Rescue, 19 , X Fujikura
    Irons (5-P)- PXG 0311, (4) - O311XF, Steelfiber 110
    Bettinardi Kutchar - DASS
    Edel 51, 55, 59, Steelfiber 110
    Switch wrote:

These irons ousted my AP2 714. Look much better to me, more forgiving, and feel better. Steelfiber i110 shafts.

How do you like the steelfiber shafts as compared to a steel shaft? Do you notice a big difference in feel and ball flight?
  • SwitchSwitch Members Posts: 580
    I was playing Project X shafts and find the steel fiber have a smoother feel, tighter dispersion, similar flight and spin. Most importantly to me, they don't hurt my joints. The project X were giving me slight tendon pain. When I switched, it stopped.
    M1 460, Shaft TBD
    Epic 15*, Oban purple 05 flex
    SLDR Rescue, 19 , X Fujikura
    Irons (5-P)- PXG 0311, (4) - O311XF, Steelfiber 110
    Bettinardi Kutchar - DASS
    Edel 51, 55, 59, Steelfiber 110
  • Used2BGoodUsed2BGood Posts: 103 ✭✭
    Yup. Play mine with Nippon Pro 1050s and just love them. Nothing else out there in performance or quality that can be had for so little $$$.
  • vwgolfervwgolfer Posts: 1,962 ✭✭
    Hooked mine up with some recoils. The only irons that will replace these are the J40 CBs or the J42's, when they come out next year. Never ever will I look at another iron besides bridgestone.
    F8 attas cool
    F8 3w. attas 3
    F6 hybrid. vts silver
    Z565. recoil 95
    Pur wedges
    Piretti Matera
  • federerfan23federerfan23 Members Posts: 684 ClubWRX
    I had these once with a set of Matrix Programs in. Really liked them but I felt my yardages were a little too inconsistent. This past week I borrowed a buddies for a round shafted with PXi 5.5's and fell in love. Ordered a set that night for $500 brand new with PXi's. These are the perfect combination of forgiveness and looks.

Now let the competition begin between these and the Nike Covert Forged.
  • HubaHuba Members Posts: 36
    vwgolfer wrote:

Hooked mine up with some recoils. The only irons that will replace these are the J40 CBs or the J42's, when they come out next year. Never ever will I look at another iron besides bridgestone.

how are you going with the recoils? did you start with the project X and then reshaft them or did you order them custom with the recoils? If you did reshaft, what have the differences been between the two shafts?

Thanks!
  • golfnuthbgolfnuthb Members Posts: 690
    TM 09 Burner 9.5
    Cleveland Launcher Ti 15*
    Adams Idea Pro 18*
    Cleveland 588 TT 4-pw
    Ping Scottsdale Tr
    588 Ta rtg 45* 51* 56* 60* S300
  • Can anyone compare these to the Srixon Z Star Forged irons? I'm looking for something a bit more forgiving than the players CBs I have now. Used to love the J33CB's. I'm a little hesitant to go to a club face as either of these appear, but at the price you can get these for now willing to take that chance on either the Z-Stars or the J40's.

Unfortunately I don't have a place I can demo either of these, and haven't found more of a GI iron that I've liked (and/or been willing to pay for) from the "Bigger" manufacturers.

Thanks!
  • federerfan23federerfan23 Members Posts: 684 ClubWRX
    etrichards wrote:

Can anyone compare these to the Srixon Z Star Forged irons? I'm looking for something a bit more forgiving than the players CBs I have now. Used to love the J33CB's. I'm a little hesitant to go to a club face as either of these appear, but at the price you can get these for now willing to take that chance on either the Z-Stars or the J40's.

Unfortunately I don't have a place I can demo either of these, and haven't found more of a GI iron that I've liked (and/or been willing to pay for) from the "Bigger" manufacturers.

Thanks!

The DPC are much more forgiving than the J33 CB's in my opinion. It has been many years since I had the 33's but if I recall they were not that forgiving.

I have no experience with the Zstar but as you can gather from this thread and others you really can't go wrong with the DPC especially if you are looking for a more forgiving CB.
  • Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members Posts: 3,807 ✭✭
    I am curious as well how these compare to similar irons. I want to know how they compare to MP54's. I am also curious as to how that test drive works through Bridgestone. I started a thread about the Bridgestone test drive program but am seeing no help. These irons have peaked my interest.
    Wyoming Cowboys
    etrichards wrote:

Can anyone compare these to the Srixon Z Star Forged irons? I'm looking for something a bit more forgiving than the players CBs I have now. Used to love the J33CB's. I'm a little hesitant to go to a club face as either of these appear, but at the price you can get these for now willing to take that chance on either the Z-Stars or the J40's.

Thanks!

Where do you live? I live in Danbury, CT. If you or any other WRXer would like to hit mine to try I'm more than happy to meet up at a local range.
  • PuppetmasterPuppetmaster Members Posts: 14,933
    Kingcat990 wrote:

I am curious as well how these compare to similar irons. I want to know how they compare to MP54's. I am also curious as to how that test drive works through Bridgestone. I started a thread about the Bridgestone test drive program but am seeing no help. These irons have peaked my interest.

To me, the main differences were visual and in how turf interaction was. The 54s look thicker and have more offset, although IIRC heel toe length was similar. The DPC sole grinds worked better for me than the 54s, which played like they had more effective bounce. I think overall forgiveness is pretty close between the two.
    WITB Link

Cobra King Ltd 8.5*, Speeder TS 6.2
    Callaway BBA 16*, Speeder TS 8.2
    Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump
    Maxfli Revolution 4-PW, DG
    Vokey 254.10, V-Grind 60*
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M