Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Irons

Comments

• HackerD  HackerD Student of the game Members Posts: 3,141 ✭✭
    Still playing my J40 DPC, like them pretty well, but they are not as forgiving as other more GI clubs (AP1 for example). I think the J15 DPF has a larger blade and is more forgiving. But I've never hit them.
    Ping G30 12°
    Adams Tight Lies Ti 3w
    Cally X2 Hot 3-4H
    Mizuno JPX-850 5-GW
    Vokey SM 54.14
    Cally MD PM 58.10
    SC Studio Select Newport 2
  • Joe9977Joe9977 Banned Posts: 541 ✭✭
    I play J33 CB's, awesome irons, just started with them last year...I missed the Bridgestone boat!

Anyone looking to move a set of these?
  • Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX Posts: 3,956 ClubWRX
    Just picked up a set of J38 DPC off the bay for dirt cheap... This is my 3rd set and these are staying this time.... worth a look if you're in the market for the DPC but want to spend less than the J40 price. I'm not getting much practice in these days so these really fit the bill for the flight and feel I like, plus the added forgiveness with the larger head. Great irons!
    Ping G400 9* Proforce V2 66s
    Taylormade M2 15* Proforce V2 66s
    Titleist 816 H1 19*  Fujikura Motore 8.8 TS
    Srixon Z745 4-P PX 5.5 Flighted
    Titleist SM5 50/56
    Odyssey PT2
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • WoodridgeWoodridge Earl of Aberdovey ChicagolandMembers Posts: 1,885 ✭✭
    I just put these back in the bag. My golf handicap is an 11, but I'd be a 25 handicap just with irons. If I wasn't a sweeper, I'd have huge shovels in the bag. But, as it is, the J40 DPC's seem to be my best option.
    Callaway Epic Flash 12* Accra 140 M2
    Taylormade RBZ 3 wood
    Callaway X-Hot 5 wood
    Tour Edge Exotics EX10 3 hybrid
    XXIO9 4 hybrid
    XXIO9 5 hybrid
    Tour Edge Exotics EX10 6 hybrid
    PXG 0311, Accra 7-G
    Vokey 56
    Epon Copper 208KGX 58 bent to 60
    Ping Redwood ZB 33" w/Flatso 1.0 Counterweight grip
  • Brad75Brad75 Members Posts: 125
    Woodridge wrote:

I just put these back in the bag. My golf handicap is an 11, but I'd be a 25 handicap just with irons. If I wasn't a sweeper, I'd have huge shovels in the bag. But, as it is, the J40 DPC's seem to be my best option.

I'm putting them back in the bag tomorrow. Sure they're not as long as some of the new offerings, but boy are they confidence inspiring!
  • suprfli6suprfli6 Members Posts: 459 ClubWRX
    I'm in my second year with a set I purchased used, and am starting to keep an eye out for cheap sets to have as a backup. They do everything I want them to and look and feel great, I see absolutely no reason to get a different set going forward.
  • steelfansteelfan Members Posts: 82
    Very close to the perfect iron for me little offset,forged,some bounce and a killed leading edge i have them in the bag for awhile the only iron i even look at is the j15 cb but it would have to be a great deal
  • WoodridgeWoodridge Earl of Aberdovey ChicagolandMembers Posts: 1,885 ✭✭
    I got my set used and have struggled a bit getting used to the Nippon 950GH shafts. I have always been a Dynamic Gold guy and these shafts definitely have a different feel to them. Which shafts are people using in their DPC's?
    Callaway Epic Flash 12* Accra 140 M2
    Taylormade RBZ 3 wood
    Callaway X-Hot 5 wood
    Tour Edge Exotics EX10 3 hybrid
    XXIO9 4 hybrid
    XXIO9 5 hybrid
    Tour Edge Exotics EX10 6 hybrid
    PXG 0311, Accra 7-G
    Vokey 56
    Epon Copper 208KGX 58 bent to 60
    Ping Redwood ZB 33" w/Flatso 1.0 Counterweight grip
  • Nippon modus 120x in the J40 DPC is a very good combo, super smooth, great launch for me and was also a DG guy.
  • pjcpjc In The Middle Posts: 593 ✭✭
    I play the Nippon 1050 stiff in the CB's and I believe this is the perfect combo for me. BS still swing weighted the irons to a hair shy of their stock D3, so yeah they may feel a little head heavy with that shaft, but I like that.
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Srixon Z-TX 10.5* OG MRC Diamana BB 63 S[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Maltby UFW 15* MPF Pro Series FWY S [/font]
    [font="Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif"]Maltby UFW 18* MPF Pro Series FWY S[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Bridgestone J15 CB 4-PW Nippon 1050GH S[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Bridgestone J15 forged 51* Nippon 1050GH S[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Bridgestone J15 forged 56* DG Spinner[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 Rossie black[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Srixon Z-STAR[/font]
    I'm looking for a set of these J40 DPC's, wish these companies would keep great clubs on the shelf instead of ending sales.
    Darn, it's hard to find a set of these!!!!

etrichards wrote:

Can anyone compare these to the Srixon Z Star Forged irons? I'm looking for something a bit more forgiving than the players CBs I have now. Used to love the J33CB's. I'm a little hesitant to go to a club face as either of these appear, but at the price you can get these for now willing to take that chance on either the Z-Stars or the J40's.

Unfortunately I don't have a place I can demo either of these, and haven't found more of a GI iron that I've liked (and/or been willing to pay for) from the "Bigger" manufacturers.

Thanks!

The DPC are much more forgiving than the J33 CB's in my opinion. It has been many years since I had the 33's but if I recall they were not that forgiving.

I have no experience with the Zstar but as you can gather from this thread and others you really can't go wrong with the DPC especially if you are looking for a more forgiving CB.

The J33's are very forgiving. If you can't hit those, you probably can't really hit anything.
  • ex0dusex0dus Members Posts: 483 ✭✭
    I bought a J40 DPC 4 iron months ago because I wanted a more forgiving 4 iron (my other irons are 588 mbs). I liked it so much I bought the rest of the set. Per Maltby's site

https://www.golfworks.com/iron-head-mpf-ratings/a/870/

they have a low/centered cog and good moi. They also have a moderate sole width and a satin finish which is my favorite. Winner all around.
    Cobra King Ltd Pro
    Nike SQ2 13*
    Mizuno MP630 clk hybrid 20*
    Bstone J40 DPC 4 iron
    Cleveland 588 mb 5-pw
    Ping Gorge wedges 56*, 52*
    Cally Mack Daddy PM grind 60*
    Machine adjuster putter
    Bridgestone 330 ball
  • I had a set for 3 years or so. Don't get out and play much, so were still in great shape. After the PW snapped off the shaft and head went missing at the range, the 3-9i have been collecting dust.
  • judgesmails55judgesmails55 ClubWRX Posts: 33
    Have a set of these w/ the Modus3 120s. Second mjracer above as the Modus is a good pairing and its hard to beat the feel of these sticks. Hardly ever use them and collecting dust in the garage, may have to throw em up on the bst if there's this much interest in them.
    Ping G400 Max 9* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 60X
    Ping G20 4 Wood w/ Whiteboard 70S
    Ping G400 3 Hybrid w/ Atmos Blue 70S
    Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal 4-PW w/ KBS C-taper Lite 115X
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged GW w/ KBS C-taper Lite 115X
    Miura 1957 56* & 60* K w/KBS C-tapter Lite 115X
    Odyssey Havok
    Snell MTB Black
    I'm still looking for a set of these DPC's. I have a 3-iron. Amazing. Nothing on the 'Bay. Anyone looking to sell?
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members Posts: 18,176 ✭✭
    Joe9977 wrote:

I'm still looking for a set of these DPC's. I have a 3-iron. Amazing. Nothing on the 'Bay. Anyone looking to sell?

Odd. Just checked and there are several sets. J38DPC is identical other than the angle of the pocket too.
    Ping G400 driver w/Adila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    TEE XCG6 3 & 5 fairway woods & Srizon U85 3U
    Ping G25, G410, or i200 irons (depending on mood)
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges 
    Ping Anser putter - the "real deal!"
    There are no DPC sets except one from Australia. Look again. J40 better than J38.
  • Scottie68Scottie68 Members Posts: 803 ✭✭
    Joe9977 wrote:
    There are no DPC sets except one from Australia. Look again. J40 better than J38.

Better how? Having played both, I did not find any difference what so ever.
    When I looked the other day there were more sets of J40's than currently.

And the J38's are identical to the J40's other than the angle of the pocket.
  • xxioxxio Members Posts: 5,659 ✭✭
    Don't the 40s seem to dig less than the 38s?
  • Scottie68Scottie68 Members Posts: 803 ✭✭
    If you were to blind test the 38 vs the 40, I could not tell the difference standing over the ball nor in playability. I do believe there is a minor difference in the sole design, but nothing I would notice when playing them.
    The J38 makes a slight whistle noise when swinging hard as air passes over the pockets. The J40 doesn't do that because the pocket angle was changed. As far as I know that's the only change.
  • suprfli6suprfli6 Members Posts: 459 ClubWRX
    Nessism wrote:

The J38 makes a slight whistle noise when swinging hard as air passes over the pockets. The J40 doesn't do that because the pocket angle was changed. As far as I know that's the only change.
    I didn't know that, I wish my J40s did that actually, I'd know when I was putting a good swing on the ball lol.
    Maybe it's just a mental thing. I tried both 38's and a J40 3-iron, the J40 just feels better and better ball flight. Interesting how that works :-)

Although, Freddie Couples played the J40's in last years Masters, that's saying something.
    These almost go too far. Just played a round w tgem
  • Mr. GrumpyMr. Grumpy The Quintana Changeup, sit em dwn Members Posts: 2,263 ✭✭
    I played the J40 DPC for years.. I would not say they give you extra distance.. Like, I would have never used "almost go too far" in a sentence about them. I would use, "very accurate distance" though. I never had a flier....
    I'm a beast I guess.
  • RrsclydeRrsclyde Members Posts: 182 ✭✭
    I picked up the set of J40 DPCs here on BST. Hit them a bit indoors and think I might really like these (not sure if the Steelfiber shafts will work). Hope to get to play tomorrow!
    PXG Gen2 0811XF Graphite Design Tour AD VR stiff-regular
    Ping G410 3 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 5 Hybrid
    Miura CB 2008 Elevate Tour reg (hardstepped)
    Mizuno JPX 919 GW PX LZ 5.0
    Miura K grind 55* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Miura K grind 60* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Bettinardi QB8
    Lamkin Sonar