Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Irons

Comments

• Joe9977Joe9977  541WRX Points: 1Handicap: 8Banned Posts: 541 Bunkers
    Wow, nice. If the DPC's were still in production, I'd buy a new set! I wish they'd reproduce these!!!! Can't find a good set on the "Bay :-(
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • RrsclydeRrsclyde Tulsa, OK 204WRX Points: 39Handicap: 8.7Members Posts: 204 Fairways
    I got to play a round (albeit in 20 mph winds) with my newly acquired J40 DPC's yesterday....pretty impressed. These things just want to hit the ball straight, which isn't a bad thing for me!!

Probably going to pull the Steelfiber i95 stiffs out and replace them with a set of KBS $-Tapers that I have waiting, but think these have a chance to be my gamers.
    Posted:
    PXG Gen2 0811XF Ventus Red regular
    Ping G410 3 Hybrid
    PXG Gen2  5 Hybrid
    Epon AF505 Oban CT115 R+
    Ping Glide 3.0 55* & 60*
    Piretti Savona Elite
    Lamkin Sonar Tour
  • morgan1819morgan1819 Official Member  1012WRX Points: 128Members Posts: 1,012 Platinum Tees
    Joe9977 wrote:

Wow, nice. If the DPC's were still in production, I'd buy a new set! I wish they'd reproduce these!!!! Can't find a good set on the "Bay :-(

I had both the J15cb and J40 DPC. If you prefer a longer blade length, and less offset, then the J40's may be the perfect iron. I prefer the progressive offset of the J15, and the slightly shorter blade length, as it is more inline with what I am used to looking at. I was initially concerned about the slightly wider sole on the J15, but they have turned out to be perfect.

So if you struggle to find a set of J40's that are clean enough for you, I 100% recommend the J15cb's. Can't-go-wrong.

Posted:

Srixon 10.2 degrees. Accra TZ5 80
    Srixon 16.0 degrees. Accra TZ5 90
    Srixon 21.0 degrees. Accra TZ5 97
    Srixon Z 4-PW. TI S400
    Cleveland 52, 58. Raw. TI S400
    Byron Morgan DH89

• Chewey85Chewey85  209WRX Points: 36Members Posts: 209 Fairways
    Missed out on a 2 nice sets this week cause I wasn't sure yet. The only ones I see don't show actual photos.
    Posted:
    morgan1819 wrote:

Joe9977 wrote:

I had both the J15cb and J40 DPC. If you prefer a longer blade length, and less offset, then the J40's may be the perfect iron. I prefer the progressive offset of the J15, and the slightly shorter blade length, as it is more inline with what I am used to looking at. I was initially concerned about the slightly wider sole on the J15, but they have turned out to be perfect.

So if you struggle to find a set of J40's that are clean enough for you, I 100% recommend the J15cb's. Can't-go-wrong.

Thanks, I'll check out the J15 CB's, can't believe these are already out of production, wish they'd just keep all the sets in stock, they would sell.
    Posted:
  • RrsclydeRrsclyde Tulsa, OK 204WRX Points: 39Handicap: 8.7Members Posts: 204 Fairways
    I got the Steelfiber i95 stiff shafts pulled and installed a set of KBS $-Taper R+ shafts that I had on hand. Played today and found this setup to be great for me--as I said above, the J40 DPCs just want to go straight!!
    Posted:
    PXG Gen2 0811XF Ventus Red regular
    Ping G410 3 Hybrid
    PXG Gen2  5 Hybrid
    Epon AF505 Oban CT115 R+
    Ping Glide 3.0 55* & 60*
    Piretti Savona Elite
    Lamkin Sonar Tour

Advertisement
    rtraudt wrote:

trp3319 wrote:

CB or DCP?

Title says DPC.

JHag, glad you found them. There have been many threads on the DPC recently as more people discover how good of an iron they are. I've thoroughly enjoyed mine since getting them late last season.

All hail the puppetmaster for helping me discover these as well. Picked up a set at the beginning of the year and I couldn't be happier. They're all I'm asking for in an iron- great feel, thin topline, great turf interaction, and as much (if not more) forgiveness than you could ever hope to find in an iron with a "player's look.". Plus I rather enjoy the fact that none of the guys I play with have Bridgestone irons. Owning them is like knowing about an amazing hole in the wall restaurant that few realize even exists.

I use all Bridgestone irons, they are awesome and good call, no one I know uses them.
    Posted:
    Nice set of J15 CB's on the 'bay, 3-PW, 3-iron barely used...I can't pull the trigger on them though.
    Posted:
  • ZNDavisZNDavis  112WRX Points: 90Handicap: 10.7Members Posts: 112 Fairways
    Got my 4-PW set of J40 DPCs on Craigslist as well, the guy was fed up with them and let them go for $150. I love them! They're my first forged set, that feeling when you catch it pure is just beautiful
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ • Tensei CK Pro White
    Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood • Tour AD MT7X
    Titleist 718 T-MB 2 iron, 4 iron, AP2 5-PW • KBS Tour 130X
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 50°, 54°, 60° wedge • KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • aiyyeraiyyer  1840WRX Points: 803Members Posts: 1,840 Platinum Tees
    I had my 4 year old J40 combo sets reshafted last year with PX LZ shafts - butter!!
    Posted:
  • tbonetwtbonetw  412WRX Points: 106Members Posts: 412 Greens
    Joe9977 wrote:

Agreed. I like my irons I have now, but I should've never gotten rid of the DPC I had. It was an odd combination that I really liked. Slightly bigger head, more forgiveness. But still forged and thin sole and no offset. The changes they made to the DPC in the J15 series just don't work for me. And they're just ugly lol.

But if I could find a new or mint set of J40 DPC I'd buy them right then.
    Posted:
    TM SIM 9* PX Smoke Green 70S
    Srixon Z85 13.5* Rogue 70S
    Adams Super LSP Tour issue 17* Kuro Kage 80S
    Adams Super LSP Tour issue 20* Kuro Kage 80S
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 4-6 DG TI S400
    Bridgestone J40 CB 7-PW DG TI S400
    Cleveland RTX 4.0 52* 58* TI S400
    Cleveland Frontline ISO putter
    TM TP5

Advertisement
  • LifeStoryLifeStory  376WRX Points: 66Handicap: >:(Members Posts: 376 Greens
    the bridgeys feel amazing no doubt.

i think imma sell my lefty set of j15cbs, but i will admit that they are **** nice.

but the pocket cavity backs, rly? man, those aren't my cup of tea.

i havent hit em and im sure they feel great (knowing bridgestone), but i cant friggin stand pocket cavities argggg

ever since i had a pocket cavity rust out on me that was next to impossible to clean, i just havnt been able to look at em the same way.

>.< hahahha image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' /> image/telephone.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':telephone:' /> image/swoon.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':swoon:' /> image/angry2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':angry22:' /> image/dntknw.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' />
    Posted:
    rtraudt wrote:

RPJET wrote:

I hit the J40 DPC's for the first time a few days ago. I was really impressed. I agree with the other posters. It is a great set of irons.

(Fade to Black). They are more forgiving then the AP2's.

I would have to agree. Plus, IMO, they look way better than the AP2s. Something about forgiveness in such a clean package that is appealing. No multi-material badges, designs, etc. to clutter it up. Tell me this doesn't look fantastic...Bridgestone_J40_DPC_irons_01.jpg?m=1343432445

Hands down, I would buy a set of these new in box if they came out now, I missed the boat!!!! Argh!!!!!!!!
    Posted:
  • Merkury10Merkury10  157WRX Points: 28Members Posts: 157 Fairways
    The legend of the DPC lives on. With as big of following as these irons have, why wouldn’t they release them? I know I’d be in for a set.
    Posted:
    If Titleist came out w/ this exact club, it would be up there w/ their highest selling iron ever, IMHO.
    Posted:
    Freddy Boom Boom Couples used the DPC's in last year's Masters and he had an excellent tourney! Oh Yes!
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • krantzdakrantzda  123WRX Points: 47Members Posts: 123 Fairways
    Joe9977 wrote:

I have a pretty nice set of DPCs I would let go.
    Posted:
  • Merkury10Merkury10  157WRX Points: 28Members Posts: 157 Fairways
    krantzda wrote:
    Joe9977 wrote:

I have a pretty nice set of DPCs I would let go.

Let’s see them!
    Posted:
    Joe9977 wrote:

rtraudt wrote:

RPJET wrote:

I hit the J40 DPC's for the first time a few days ago. I was really impressed. I agree with the other posters. It is a great set of irons.

(Fade to Black). They are more forgiving then the AP2's.

I would have to agree. Plus, IMO, they look way better than the AP2s. Something about forgiveness in such a clean package that is appealing. No multi-material badges, designs, etc. to clutter it up. Tell me this doesn't look fantastic...Bridgestone_J40_DPC_irons_01.jpg?m=1343432445

Hands down, I would buy a set of these new in box if they came out now, I missed the boat!!!! Argh!!!!!!!!
    beautiful clubs!
    Posted:
  • slide13slide13  1347WRX Points: 139Members Posts: 1,347 Platinum Tees
    Still so glad I got a set of these when they were available new. Amazing combination of forgiveness, feel, low offset, and sleek lines. Makes me sad there aren’t more options like this as it’s the perfect type of club for me.
    Posted:
    Minimal: Titleist 913 D3 / Cobra F8 4w / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie
  • sm_wattssm_watts  750WRX Points: 142Members Posts: 750 Golden Tee
    Alright, you guys talked me into it. I've never hit a Bridgestone iron and no one around carries them, but I just bought a set of J40 DPC heads off the BST and we'll give them a shot right quick & in a hurry!
    Posted:
    Taylormade M2 2016 10.5 w/UST ATTAS Elements, MK reg
    Taylormade M2 2017 HL 16.5 w/UST ATTAS Elements, DK reg
    TEE e8 22 & 25 hybrids/Recoil 460 F3
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged/Recoil 95 F3
    Corey Paul forged 50/54/58 w/KBS Rev 2.0 115
    TP Mills Sycamore...or Spaulding TPM VIII...or maybe the TP Mills Elite...or the TP Mills Softtail???

Advertisement
  • slide13slide13  1347WRX Points: 139Members Posts: 1,347 Platinum Tees
    Good pickup, I can't imagine you'll be disappointed in them! I saw those and considered buying them myself just to have as backup.
    Posted:
    Minimal: Titleist 913 D3 / Cobra F8 4w / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie
  • Bobb3rdownBobb3rdown Bothell, WA 726WRX Points: 193Members Posts: 726 Golden Tee
    You'll love em. I have j36 pocket cavities. And plan on reshafting them after this summer season
    Posted:
    mizuno st190 9.5
    Callaway rouge sub zero 15
    Adams pro mini 20
    Bridgestone tour b x-cb 4-pw 
    Vokey sm7 50.12, sm7 56.10, sm6 62.08
    Maltby ptm-4
    2018 Players 5 stand bag
    Srixon Z Star xv
  • pinestreetgolfpinestreetgolf  3539WRX Points: 340Handicap: 4Members Posts: 3,539 Titanium Tees
    As I posted in another thread, the j40s are great. There are (basically) three issues:

1. Bridgestone makes literally nothing in the j40 line at 50*. So unless you like a six degree gap from PW to GW (or you want to start bending lofts) your up the creek.

2. It is easier to find the holy grail than it is to find a j40 DPC 3 iron (you can find j40 3 irons easily, but I have never found a j40 DPC 3 and I've been looking for literally years). The website says it exists, but I doubt it actually does.

3. They copied the design (right down to the "Forged" badge) from the Adams CB3 Idea Tech Blacks, which do not have the first two problems. The head is just slightly smaller, but other than that it is virtually identical, and its easy to find Idea Tech 3 irons and Gap Wedges.

I play the j40 DPCs and I think, when it comes to the actual iron itself, they are a perfect refinement/evolution of the best player's CB line ever concieved - the decade-long Adams Idea Tech Forged line. However, Bridgestone the company sucks when it comes to supporting their products. Next irons won't be b-stone for this reason. Who comes out with a 46* PW and the lowest wedge is 52*?!
    Posted:
    Wilson Triton 10.5 Rogue 125 msi 60 X-Flex
    Ping G30 2, 3, 4, 5*, 6 Hybrids TFC 419 Stiff Flex
    M2 7-AW ReAx 75 Graphite
    PM Grind 56* KBS Rev 2.0
    Cameron Mallet
    As I posted in another thread, the j40s are great. There are (basically) three issues:

1. Bridgestone makes literally nothing in the j40 line at 50*. So unless you like a six degree gap from PW to GW (or you want to start bending lofts) your up the creek.

2. It is easier to find the holy grail than it is to find a j40 DPC 3 iron (you can find j40 3 irons easily, but I have never found a j40 DPC 3 and I've been looking for literally years). The website says it exists, but I doubt it actually does.

3. They copied the design (right down to the "Forged" badge) from the Adams CB3 Idea Tech Blacks, which do not have the first two problems. The head is just slightly smaller, but other than that it is virtually identical, and its easy to find Idea Tech 3 irons and Gap Wedges.

I play the j40 DPCs and I think, when it comes to the actual iron itself, they are a perfect refinement/evolution of the best player's CB line ever concieved - the decade-long Adams Idea Tech Forged line. However, Bridgestone the company sucks when it comes to supporting their products. Next irons won't be b-stone for this reason. Who comes out with a 46* PW and the lowest wedge is 52*?!

I play 52 and 58 wedges - works for me!!
    Posted:
  • pinestreetgolfpinestreetgolf  3539WRX Points: 340Handicap: 4Members Posts: 3,539 Titanium Tees
    aiyyer wrote:

Whats your up and down rate?

Whats your conversion rate from 110 and in?
    Posted:
    M2 7-AW ReAx 75 Graphite
    PM Grind 56* KBS Rev 2.0
    Cameron Mallet

Advertisement
    aiyyer wrote:

Okay for a 10 handicap - play more with feel and 3 wedges is plenty.
    Posted:
    aiyyer wrote:
    aiyyer wrote:

Okay for a 10 handicap - play more with feel and 3 wedges is plenty.

That might be true for you but not giving the option is ridiculous on b-stones part. Literally nobody else with a 46* or 47* PW skips 50*, even brands like Acer. Bridgestone equipment is awesome but product line has massive gaps.
    Posted:
    M2 7-AW ReAx 75 Graphite
    PM Grind 56* KBS Rev 2.0
    Cameron Mallet
  • buynagamebuynagame  125WRX Points: 68Handicap: 12Members Posts: 125 Fairways
    I play the J40 21 and 24 hybrids, so the lack of a 3 iron does not bother me. There are plenty of wedges available from Mizuno and Titleist of various loft and bounce that suit me. Every manufacturer has the clubs that they do best. I use a Taylor Made RBZ 3HL because it is the best for me.

The J40 DPCs are great for me. I have been playing them for 5 years and don't plan on changing.
    Posted:
    WITB:
    2017 M1 10.5 
    M4 3HL, 5HL
    Ping g410 Hybrid set at 23
    Ping i210 5-PW AWT 2.0
    Mizuno JPX 50, 54, 58
    Scotty Mil Spec Putter 35"/330g
    Sun Mountain 4.5 LS/14 Way

Advertisement
  • Scottie68Scottie68  803WRX Points: 58Handicap: 8Members Posts: 803 Golden Tee
    I never realized how rare the 3 iron is, so feel lucky to have one.

As far as wedges, I have added 3 at that end of the bag (dropped the 4 iron, and play 5w, 3w, driver). Up and downs from 100 in are better than most, so very happy with the set-up.

Currently looking to set up a set of j15 dfp the same way!
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.