Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Irons

Comments

• ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,224 ✭✭
    Back when the J40s DPC were in production, I got a test packet from Bridgestone. It contained a 5i and 9i in NS Pro 950 R, and a 5i and 9i in DG.SL R300.

The 950 clubs felt a little light, and the DG.SL clubs didn't have much feel. And it was raining a lot during the test period, so I didn't really get a chance to work them out as I wanted.

The 950 flew about as well as my X20 Tours reshafted in NS Pro 8950GH, but in a tie my existing irons stay.

I have since wondered if a livelier shaft such as KBS Tour 90 in R or S flex might have worked better.
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr. (As of 21 Nov 2018)
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Slotline Inertial SL-583F / 34" w. SuperStroke 2.0 MidSlim grip
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • Joe9977Joe9977 Banned Posts: 541 ✭✭
    Wow, nice. If the DPC's were still in production, I'd buy a new set! I wish they'd reproduce these!!!! Can't find a good set on the "Bay :-(
  • RrsclydeRrsclyde Members Posts: 182 ✭✭
    I got to play a round (albeit in 20 mph winds) with my newly acquired J40 DPC's yesterday....pretty impressed. These things just want to hit the ball straight, which isn't a bad thing for me!!

Probably going to pull the Steelfiber i95 stiffs out and replace them with a set of KBS $-Tapers that I have waiting, but think these have a chance to be my gamers.
    PXG Gen2 0811XF Graphite Design Tour AD VR stiff-regular
    Ping G410 3 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 5 Hybrid
    Apex 19 Smoke Combo 5-AW Elevate Tour reg (hardstepped)
    Vokey Slate Blue 55* & 60*
    Piretti Savona Elite
    Lamkin Sonar
  • morgan1819morgan1819 Official Member Members Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Joe9977 wrote:

Wow, nice. If the DPC's were still in production, I'd buy a new set! I wish they'd reproduce these!!!! Can't find a good set on the "Bay :-(

I had both the J15cb and J40 DPC. If you prefer a longer blade length, and less offset, then the J40's may be the perfect iron. I prefer the progressive offset of the J15, and the slightly shorter blade length, as it is more inline with what I am used to looking at. I was initially concerned about the slightly wider sole on the J15, but they have turned out to be perfect.

So if you struggle to find a set of J40's that are clean enough for you, I 100% recommend the J15cb's. Can't-go-wrong.

Srixon Z 785 10.2 degrees. Accra TZ5 80
    Srixon Z 785 16.0 degrees. Accra TZ5 90
    Srixon Z U85 21.0 degrees. Accra TZ5 97
    Srixon Z Forged 4-PW. TI S400
    Cleveland RTX 4 raw 52, raw 58. TI S400
    Byron Morgan DH89

• Chewey85Chewey85 Members Posts: 203
    Missed out on a 2 nice sets this week cause I wasn't sure yet. The only ones I see don't show actual photos.
    morgan1819 wrote:

Joe9977 wrote:

I had both the J15cb and J40 DPC. If you prefer a longer blade length, and less offset, then the J40's may be the perfect iron. I prefer the progressive offset of the J15, and the slightly shorter blade length, as it is more inline with what I am used to looking at. I was initially concerned about the slightly wider sole on the J15, but they have turned out to be perfect.

So if you struggle to find a set of J40's that are clean enough for you, I 100% recommend the J15cb's. Can't-go-wrong.

Thanks, I'll check out the J15 CB's, can't believe these are already out of production, wish they'd just keep all the sets in stock, they would sell.
  • RrsclydeRrsclyde Members Posts: 182 ✭✭
    I got the Steelfiber i95 stiff shafts pulled and installed a set of KBS $-Taper R+ shafts that I had on hand. Played today and found this setup to be great for me--as I said above, the J40 DPCs just want to go straight!!
    PXG Gen2 0811XF Graphite Design Tour AD VR stiff-regular
    Ping G410 3 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 5 Hybrid
    Apex 19 Smoke Combo 5-AW Elevate Tour reg (hardstepped)
    Vokey Slate Blue 55* & 60*
    Piretti Savona Elite
    Lamkin Sonar
    rtraudt wrote:

trp3319 wrote:

CB or DCP?

Title says DPC.

JHag, glad you found them. There have been many threads on the DPC recently as more people discover how good of an iron they are. I've thoroughly enjoyed mine since getting them late last season.

All hail the puppetmaster for helping me discover these as well. Picked up a set at the beginning of the year and I couldn't be happier. They're all I'm asking for in an iron- great feel, thin topline, great turf interaction, and as much (if not more) forgiveness than you could ever hope to find in an iron with a "player's look.". Plus I rather enjoy the fact that none of the guys I play with have Bridgestone irons. Owning them is like knowing about an amazing hole in the wall restaurant that few realize even exists.

I use all Bridgestone irons, they are awesome and good call, no one I know uses them.
    Nice set of J15 CB's on the 'bay, 3-PW, 3-iron barely used...I can't pull the trigger on them though.
  • ZNDavisZNDavis Members Posts: 54 ✭✭
    Got my 4-PW set of J40 DPCs on Craigslist as well, the guy was fed up with them and let them go for $150. I love them! They're my first forged set, that feeling when you catch it pure is just beautiful
    Taylormade M3 • Ping G25 23° hybrid • Titleist T-MB 2 iron • Bridgestone J40 DPC 4 - 9 irons
    Titleist Vokey SM5 46°, 50°, 54° wedges • Taylormade Hi-Toe 58° wedge • Taylormade Spider Tour Red
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • aiyyeraiyyer Members Posts: 1,471 ✭✭
    I had my 4 year old J40 combo sets reshafted last year with PX LZ shafts - butter!!
  • tbonetwtbonetw Members Posts: 383 ✭✭
    Joe9977 wrote:

Agreed. I like my irons I have now, but I should've never gotten rid of the DPC I had. It was an odd combination that I really liked. Slightly bigger head, more forgiveness. But still forged and thin sole and no offset. The changes they made to the DPC in the J15 series just don't work for me. And they're just ugly lol.

But if I could find a new or mint set of J40 DPC I'd buy them right then.
    Titleist TS3 9.5* Hzrdus Smoke
    TEE CBX 15* Hzrdus Black
    TEE CBX 18* Hzrdus Black
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hm Pro KBS C-taper lite 
    Titleist SM6 50*,54*,60**
    Wilson Infinite West Loop
    Snell MTB X
  • LifeStoryLifeStory Members Posts: 300 ✭✭
    the bridgeys feel amazing no doubt.

i think imma sell my lefty set of j15cbs, but i will admit that they are **** nice.

but the pocket cavity backs, rly? man, those aren't my cup of tea.

i havent hit em and im sure they feel great (knowing bridgestone), but i cant friggin stand pocket cavities argggg

ever since i had a pocket cavity rust out on me that was next to impossible to clean, i just havnt been able to look at em the same way.

>.< hahahha image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' /> image/telephone.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':telephone:' /> image/swoon.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':swoon:' /> image/angry2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':angry22:' /> image/dntknw.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' />
    rtraudt wrote:

RPJET wrote:

I hit the J40 DPC's for the first time a few days ago. I was really impressed. I agree with the other posters. It is a great set of irons.

(Fade to Black). They are more forgiving then the AP2's.

I would have to agree. Plus, IMO, they look way better than the AP2s. Something about forgiveness in such a clean package that is appealing. No multi-material badges, designs, etc. to clutter it up. Tell me this doesn't look fantastic...Bridgestone_J40_DPC_irons_01.jpg?m=1343432445

Hands down, I would buy a set of these new in box if they came out now, I missed the boat!!!! Argh!!!!!!!!
  • Merkury10Merkury10 Members Posts: 141 ✭✭
    The legend of the DPC lives on. With as big of following as these irons have, why wouldn’t they release them? I know I’d be in for a set.
    If Titleist came out w/ this exact club, it would be up there w/ their highest selling iron ever, IMHO.
    Freddy Boom Boom Couples used the DPC's in last year's Masters and he had an excellent tourney! Oh Yes!
  • krantzdakrantzda Members Posts: 116 ✭✭
    Joe9977 wrote:

I have a pretty nice set of DPCs I would let go.
  • Merkury10Merkury10 Members Posts: 141 ✭✭
    krantzda wrote:
    Joe9977 wrote:

I have a pretty nice set of DPCs I would let go.

Let’s see them!
    Joe9977 wrote:

rtraudt wrote:

RPJET wrote:

I hit the J40 DPC's for the first time a few days ago. I was really impressed. I agree with the other posters. It is a great set of irons.

(Fade to Black). They are more forgiving then the AP2's.

I would have to agree. Plus, IMO, they look way better than the AP2s. Something about forgiveness in such a clean package that is appealing. No multi-material badges, designs, etc. to clutter it up. Tell me this doesn't look fantastic...Bridgestone_J40_DPC_irons_01.jpg?m=1343432445

Hands down, I would buy a set of these new in box if they came out now, I missed the boat!!!! Argh!!!!!!!!
    beautiful clubs!
  • slide13slide13 Members Posts: 1,330 ✭✭
    Still so glad I got a set of these when they were available new. Amazing combination of forgiveness, feel, low offset, and sleek lines. Makes me sad there aren’t more options like this as it’s the perfect type of club for me.
    Minimal: Titleist 913 D3 / Cobra F8 4w / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie
  • sm_wattssm_watts Members Posts: 640 ✭✭
    Alright, you guys talked me into it. I've never hit a Bridgestone iron and no one around carries them, but I just bought a set of J40 DPC heads off the BST and we'll give them a shot right quick & in a hurry!
    Taylormade M2 2016 10.5 w/UST ATTAS Elements, MK reg
    Taylormade M2 2017 HL 16.5 w/UST ATTAS Elements, DK reg
    TEE e8 22 & 25 hybrids/Recoil 460 F3
    Bridgestone J40 DPC's/Recoil 95 F3
    Snake Eyes 685BX 52*
    Hogan TK 57*
    TP Mills Sycamore...or Spaulding TPM VIII...or maybe the TP Mills Elite...or the TP Mills Softtail???
  • slide13slide13 Members Posts: 1,330 ✭✭
    Good pickup, I can't imagine you'll be disappointed in them! I saw those and considered buying them myself just to have as backup.
    Minimal: Titleist 913 D3 / Cobra F8 4w / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie
  • Bobb3rdownBobb3rdown Bothell, WAMembers Posts: 546 ✭✭
    You'll love em. I have j36 pocket cavities. And plan on reshafting them after this summer season
    Titleist 910d3 8.5
    Callaway diablo edge tour 15
    Adams A7 19
    Adam's pro mini 23
    Bridgestone J36 pc 5-pw
    Cleveland Rtx3 50,54,58
    Ping karsten piper
    2018 Players 5 stand bag
    Srixon Z Star xv
  • pinestreetgolfpinestreetgolf Members Posts: 3,433 ✭✭
    As I posted in another thread, the j40s are great. There are (basically) three issues:

1. Bridgestone makes literally nothing in the j40 line at 50*. So unless you like a six degree gap from PW to GW (or you want to start bending lofts) your up the creek.

2. It is easier to find the holy grail than it is to find a j40 DPC 3 iron (you can find j40 3 irons easily, but I have never found a j40 DPC 3 and I've been looking for literally years). The website says it exists, but I doubt it actually does.

3. They copied the design (right down to the "Forged" badge) from the Adams CB3 Idea Tech Blacks, which do not have the first two problems. The head is just slightly smaller, but other than that it is virtually identical, and its easy to find Idea Tech 3 irons and Gap Wedges.

I play the j40 DPCs and I think, when it comes to the actual iron itself, they are a perfect refinement/evolution of the best player's CB line ever concieved - the decade-long Adams Idea Tech Forged line. However, Bridgestone the company sucks when it comes to supporting their products. Next irons won't be b-stone for this reason. Who comes out with a 46* PW and the lowest wedge is 52*?!
    Nike SQ Lucky 13* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 X-Flex, 43.5"
    Ping G30 Hybrids 2 17*,  3 19*, 4 22* TFC 419 Stiff
    Pinhawk SL 5-SW +3 Up Apollo Stiff 115
    PM Grind 64*
    As I posted in another thread, the j40s are great. There are (basically) three issues:

1. Bridgestone makes literally nothing in the j40 line at 50*. So unless you like a six degree gap from PW to GW (or you want to start bending lofts) your up the creek.

2. It is easier to find the holy grail than it is to find a j40 DPC 3 iron (you can find j40 3 irons easily, but I have never found a j40 DPC 3 and I've been looking for literally years). The website says it exists, but I doubt it actually does.

3. They copied the design (right down to the "Forged" badge) from the Adams CB3 Idea Tech Blacks, which do not have the first two problems. The head is just slightly smaller, but other than that it is virtually identical, and its easy to find Idea Tech 3 irons and Gap Wedges.

I play the j40 DPCs and I think, when it comes to the actual iron itself, they are a perfect refinement/evolution of the best player's CB line ever concieved - the decade-long Adams Idea Tech Forged line. However, Bridgestone the company sucks when it comes to supporting their products. Next irons won't be b-stone for this reason. Who comes out with a 46* PW and the lowest wedge is 52*?!

I play 52 and 58 wedges - works for me!!
    aiyyer wrote:

Whats your up and down rate?

Whats your conversion rate from 110 and in?
    PM Grind 64*
    aiyyer wrote:

Okay for a 10 handicap - play more with feel and 3 wedges is plenty.
    aiyyer wrote:
    aiyyer wrote:

Okay for a 10 handicap - play more with feel and 3 wedges is plenty.

That might be true for you but not giving the option is ridiculous on b-stones part. Literally nobody else with a 46* or 47* PW skips 50*, even brands like Acer. Bridgestone equipment is awesome but product line has massive gaps.
    PM Grind 64*
  • buynagamebuynagame Members Posts: 111 ✭✭
    I play the J40 21 and 24 hybrids, so the lack of a 3 iron does not bother me. There are plenty of wedges available from Mizuno and Titleist of various loft and bounce that suit me. Every manufacturer has the clubs that they do best. I use a Taylor Made RBZ 3HL because it is the best for me.

The J40 DPCs are great for me. I have been playing them for 5 years and don't plan on changing.
    WITB:
    2017 M1 10.5
    RBZ 3HL
    Bridgestone J40 Hybrids 21, 24
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 5-PW
    Mizuno JPX 50, 54, 58
    Scotty Mil Spec Putter 35"/330g