Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Irons

Comments

• jackdangerjackdanger Minneapolis, MN 12WRX Points: 21Handicap: 8.4Members Posts: 12 Bunkers
    rxk9fan wrote:

The Bridgestone J40 DPC launched significantly higher than the MMC. Even significantly more than I would have expected from the loft difference in the two 7 irons. The degree of this difference really surprised me. As for distance, I was hitting with a pretty stiff wind at my back and the DPC was in the air so much longer that I am sure this contributed to it being significantly longer than the MMC (even though the MMC has the stronger loft).

Just picked some up too after reading this thread and was able to compare them on a launch monitor to my JPX Tour's and found the DPC launch significantly higher as well and I'm pretty sure they are the same lofts, only difference was they were also carrying about 10-12 yards shorter so I'm thinking it may have been the wind on your part.
    Posted:
    Driver - z565 w/Hzrdus Black 6.5
    3W - TEE EX9 - w/Kuro Kage S
    3i - Adams DHY PRO 21*
    4i - Adams DHY PRO 24*
    5-PW - Bridgestone J40 DPC
    50,54* - Vokey SM7
    58* - Callaway MD PM Grind
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • golfgolf77golfgolf77  131WRX Points: 27Handicap: 8Members Posts: 131 Fairways
    jackdanger wrote:

After reading this entire thread's hype on the J40's DPC, I pulled the trigger on a set of these I stumbled across. Love the look and feel but got them in NS Pro 950's (stiff) and currently testing against my JPX 900 Tours which are in Steelfibers i95 (also stiff), the J40's are launching much higher and spinning about 1500 rpm's more - especially in the 8-PW - than the Tours which is resulting in about 10-12 yards of distance loss. I'm not a guy who needs to hit his irons far by any means but I don't like such a high flight with those clubs, do ya'll think this is the shaft or the heads?

Must be the shafts, the DPC are one degree stronger than the J40 CB.

Can you comment on the Steelfiber i95 stiff? I have a set of irons w/ these shafts, looking for feedback before I try them...I use DG S300 a lot.

I have a nice set of J40 DPC, 4-PW, I too would love to find a DPC 3 iron.
    Posted:
    And I'll add that every time that I put the J40 DPC's in the basement, I see Freddie Couples still bagging them, and out they come, in my bag now!!!!!
    Posted:
  • rxk9fanrxk9fan Midwest 922WRX Points: 225Handicap: 6.9Members Posts: 922 Golden Tee
    I got on the monitor today (no wind lol) and found the same thing you found. MUCH higher launch, more spin, and significantly less distance. And, the MMC felt better. I will give them one more try to evaluate dispersion vs the MMC. In other irons I have found the Steelfiber to promote lower ball flight and less spin than the Recoil shafts. The DPC certainly nullified that.

After one outing I am disappointed, but I may keep the shafts for a later use in another combination?
    Posted:
    TaylorMade M6 driver with Tensei Orange
    Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 5 wood with Tensei Blue stiff
    Taylormade M6 Rescue 19 degree with Atmos orange stiff
    Srixon z785 with Recoil 110 F4 shafts
    Vokey 50 F, 54 S, 58 K
    Odyssey O-Works 7s

• rxk9fanrxk9fan Midwest 922WRX Points: 225Handicap: 6.9Members Posts: 922 Golden Tee
    golfgolf77 wrote:

jackdanger wrote:

After reading this entire thread's hype on the J40's DPC, I pulled the trigger on a set of these I stumbled across. Love the look and feel but got them in NS Pro 950's (stiff) and currently testing against my JPX 900 Tours which are in Steelfibers i95 (also stiff), the J40's are launching much higher and spinning about 1500 rpm's more - especially in the 8-PW - than the Tours which is resulting in about 10-12 yards of distance loss. I'm not a guy who needs to hit his irons far by any means but I don't like such a high flight with those clubs, do ya'll think this is the shaft or the heads?

Can you comment on the Steelfiber i95 stiff? I have a set of irons w/ these shafts, looking for feedback before I try them...I use DG S300 a lot.

Not meant for me but I have played the Steelfibers in a couple of heads prior to these. My thoughts:

1. They play and feel much more like steel than graphite

2. Controllable trajectory (of course depending on head)

3. They play stout for their flex

4. Stand on them all you want, they will hold up
    Posted:
    Vokey 50 F, 54 S, 58 K
    Odyssey O-Works 7s

• tbonetwtbonetw  412WRX Points: 106Members Posts: 412 Greens
    When I had mine I had DG S300 in them and didn't have any spin issues. The were a little on the high side, but not necessarily in a bad way. I found them to be a club longer than the MP62 I played prior to them. Frankly I found them to go the distance I expect from any clubs with the same lofts. On the other hand I tried to MMC as I really thought that would be my next irons when they came out and I actually hit those shorter than I would've expected them to go given the strong lofts. Most likely a combination of that head with the PX LZ shaft I was hitting it with, but I really have no idea why some things work better for some people and worse for other people.
    Posted:
    TM SIM 9* PX Smoke Green 70S
    Srixon Z85 13.5* Rogue 70S
    Adams Super LSP Tour issue 17* Kuro Kage 80S
    Adams Super LSP Tour issue 20* Kuro Kage 80S
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 4-6 DG TI S400
    Bridgestone J40 CB 7-PW DG TI S400
    Cleveland RTX 4.0 52* 58* TI S400
    Cleveland Frontline ISO putter
    TM TP5

Advertisement
    rxk9fan wrote:

golfgolf77 wrote:

jackdanger wrote:

Not meant for me but I have played the Steelfibers in a couple of heads prior to these. My thoughts:

Thanks, that is what I need. I have an athletic swing but don't swing hard so I put a lot of meat/muscle into the shaft at impact. I just can't ease up through impact or I spray right or snap left, so I gotta go full through the shot. What an art it is for those who can take something off the shot and execute. I was advised, and successfully, to just take a bit less club on approach shots and hit a solid full shot, even if I hit the front of the green all day...
    Posted:
  • jackdangerjackdanger Minneapolis, MN 12WRX Points: 21Handicap: 8.4Members Posts: 12 Bunkers
    golfgolf77 wrote:

rxk9fan wrote:

golfgolf77 wrote:

jackdanger wrote:

Thanks, that is what I need. I have an athletic swing but don't swing hard so I put a lot of meat/muscle into the shaft at impact. I just can't ease up through impact or I spray right or snap left, so I gotta go full through the shot. What an art it is for those who can take something off the shot and execute. I was advised, and successfully, to just take a bit less club on approach shots and hit a solid full shot, even if I hit the front of the green all day...

Those 4 points are definitely spot on from rxk9fan. I was a S300 guy as well and was super worried about the weight of the Steelfibers being too light and if they'd hold up to my swing and surprisingly they felt strangely identical but I thought the Steelfibers were slightly smoother and my numbers were just a hair better in every category so I've been using them ever since.

It's funny, nearly everybody who spots me playing the graphites (I'm 6'4, 225 lbs) is surprised and always says "aren't those too whippy for you" and the only way I can explain how stout they are is to have them try them out for themselves.
    Posted:
    3i - Adams DHY PRO 21*
    4i - Adams DHY PRO 24*
    50,54* - Vokey SM7
    rxk9fan wrote:

I got on the monitor today (no wind lol) and found the same thing you found. MUCH higher launch, more spin, and significantly less distance. And, the MMC felt better. I will give them one more try to evaluate dispersion vs the MMC. In other irons I have found the Steelfiber to promote lower ball flight and less spin than the Recoil shafts. The DPC certainly nullified that.

After one outing I am disappointed, but I may keep the shafts for a later use in another combination?

Glad you got some hard numbers too. I played 18 on the SIM with the DPC last night and while I did have to club up nearly every time, my dispersion seemed very tight, and I was able to flight down a couple of 3/4 swing 9 irons and PW's, so it looks like I got a little more testing to do. Potentially a spin killer shaft like a stout Project X would be a better combination with this head. I would keep the Steelfibers if I were you as I've found them to be super versatile in nearly any iron although a little harsher than the Recoil shafts, also they can be expensive and somewhat hard to find a good deal on.
    Posted:
    3i - Adams DHY PRO 21*
    4i - Adams DHY PRO 24*
    50,54* - Vokey SM7
  • Mr. GrumpyMr. Grumpy The Quintana Changeup, sit em dwn  2542WRX Points: 368Members Posts: 2,542 Titanium Tees
    I only sold my set so I could jump in the single length pool. I loved the J40 DPC's! Mine were slightly off stock - PX 6.0 Flighted and soft stepped 1. That flighted shaft worked really well in these heads, prob why they were the stock offering. I have a set of Edel CB's as a test of sorts (I'm staying SL) and I liked the DPC's a lot more. Better feel for sure..
    Posted:
  • pcs11pcs11  1258WRX Points: 197Members Posts: 1,258 Platinum Tees
    I played the DPC for 5 years and loved them, but sold them just to try something else. Went to the J15 CBs for some time and sold them out of boredom. Still searching for something I like as much as these two sets.
    Posted:
    Cobra F8+ 10.5° - Fujikura Ventus Black 6
    Titleist 915 F 15° - Diamana 'ilima 80 
    Titleist 917 F2 18° - Diamana 'ilima 80 
    Titleist 818 H1 21° - UST VTS 100
    Titleist 915 H 24° - UST VTS 100
    Ping iBlades (5-9) - Shimada Tour 115
    Vokey 46° 52° 58° - KBS Tour 115
    Bettinardi BBF1 or Bettinardi Kuch2

Advertisement
  • aiyyeraiyyer  1840WRX Points: 803Members Posts: 1,840 Platinum Tees
    Mr. Grumpy wrote:
    I only sold my set so I could jump in the single length pool. I loved the J40 DPC's! Mine were slightly off stock - PX 6.0 Flighted and soft stepped 1. That flighted shaft worked really well in these heads, prob why they were the stock offering. I have a set of Edel CB's as a test of sorts (I'm staying SL) and I liked the DPC's a lot more. Better feel for sure..

The Stock flighted PX flighted shaft was good in the DPC’s (If you got the right flex) but the PX LZ is even better.

The combo sets are better as you get the best of both the DPC and the CB irons. I have a set of the PXLZ shafts and will never get rid of them
    Posted:
    jackdanger wrote:

golfgolf77 wrote:

rxk9fan wrote:

golfgolf77 wrote:

jackdanger wrote:

Those 4 points are definitely spot on from rxk9fan. I was a S300 guy as well and was super worried about the weight of the Steelfibers being too light and if they'd hold up to my swing and surprisingly they felt strangely identical but I thought the Steelfibers were slightly smoother and my numbers were just a hair better in every category so I've been using them ever since.

It's funny, nearly everybody who spots me playing the graphites (I'm 6'4, 225 lbs) is surprised and always says "aren't those too whippy for you" and the only way I can explain how stout they are is to have them try them out for themselves.

Love to hear this. I'm 6' but weighing in at 230lbs but that's because I still hit the squat rack at the gym w/ a professional trainer, and also still eat too much, hence the 230lbs.
    Posted:
    pcs11 wrote:

I played the DPC for 5 years and loved them, but sold them just to try something else. Went to the J15 CBs for some time and sold them out of boredom. Still searching for something I like as much as these two sets.

Have you tried the new Tour B X CB's? They don't look as good as the J40 or J15 but I've read that they are SWEET! I have almost every iteration of BStone but haven't tried the Tour B X CB's...and I'm now tempting myself...
    Posted:
  • pcs11pcs11  1258WRX Points: 197Members Posts: 1,258 Platinum Tees
    golfgolf77 wrote:
    pcs11 wrote:

Have you tried the new Tour B X CB's? They don't look as good as the J40 or J15 but I've read that they are SWEET! I have almost every iteration of BStone but haven't tried the Tour B X CB's...and I'm now tempting myself...

I have been eyeing them!!
    Posted:
    Cobra F8+ 10.5° - Fujikura Ventus Black 6
    Titleist 915 F 15° - Diamana 'ilima 80 
    Titleist 917 F2 18° - Diamana 'ilima 80 
    Titleist 818 H1 21° - UST VTS 100
    Titleist 915 H 24° - UST VTS 100
    Ping iBlades (5-9) - Shimada Tour 115
    Vokey 46° 52° 58° - KBS Tour 115
    Bettinardi BBF1 or Bettinardi Kuch2
    Alright, after their strong showing the other night I'm going to put them mono-a-mono against my beloved JPX 900 Tours tonight on the SIM and take extensive notes. Full 18 holes with played with their own balls to see who comes out on top. If the DPCs have a strong showing I'll practice with them more until the snow melts here in MN and then we can have a proper showdown outside between the two. Now, what course to play....
    Posted:
    3i - Adams DHY PRO 21*
    4i - Adams DHY PRO 24*
    50,54* - Vokey SM7

Advertisement
    How did the test go? Those JPX look great too, I've never tried, only use Bridgestone.
    Posted:
    golfgolf77 wrote:

How did the test go? Those JPX look great too, I've never tried, only use Bridgestone.

DPCs beat the Tours by 2 strokes at Bandon Dunes. I hit 3 more GIRs with the DPCs too. The Bridgestones performed really well and were a blast to play with and will have to stay in contention until I can try them outside. There is more forgiveness and a softer feel with the DPC's and I feel like I'm not giving up any accuracy. We'll see how they play with some outdoor elements but I am very optimistic and am enjoying them more and more the more I get to hit them.
    Posted:
    3i - Adams DHY PRO 21*
    4i - Adams DHY PRO 24*
    50,54* - Vokey SM7
    I am going to put mine side by side with my MMC's on a Trackman Friday. My expectations are the MMC's are currently a couple of degrees stronger than the DPC's. I will have a fitter there with me to bend as I want. My plan is to make sure the MMC's are all one degree strong from standard as ordered from Mizuno, and then bend the DPC's to the exact same. Then I will see how distance and dispersion compare while hoping not to negatively effect bounce to the point the DPC's dig (my expectations are they will need bent 2 degrees). It should be a fun!
    Posted:
    Vokey 50 F, 54 S, 58 K
    Odyssey O-Works 7s

• greggreg  98WRX Points: 101Members Posts: 98 Fairways
    golfgolf77 wrote:

pcs11 wrote:

Ha! you too huh?
    Posted:
  • ZNDavisZNDavis  112WRX Points: 90Handicap: 10.7Members Posts: 112 Fairways
    I've been fighting my inner club ho, testing out different irons...I think I know why I love these so much. It's almost impossible to find another set of irons with such a thin top line that's not a total blade. Seems like literally every other iron head on the market is chunkier than ****.

Any other irons with a fair amount of forgiveness that look as sleek as the J40s from above?
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ • Tensei CK Pro White
    Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood • Tour AD MT7X
    Titleist 718 T-MB 2 iron, 4 iron, AP2 5-PW • KBS Tour 130X
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 50°, 54°, 60° wedge • KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

Advertisement
  • pinestreetgolfpinestreetgolf  3539WRX Points: 340Handicap: 4Members Posts: 3,539 Titanium Tees
    ZNDavis wrote:

I've been fighting my inner club ho, testing out different irons...I think I know why I love these so much. It's almost impossible to find another set of irons with such a thin top line that's not a total blade. Seems like literally every other iron head on the market is chunkier than ****.

Any other irons with a fair amount of forgiveness that look as sleek as the J40s from above?

To me, the only other viable candidate are the Ping i e1 irons.
    Posted:
    Wilson Triton 10.5 Rogue 125 msi 60 X-Flex
    Ping G30 2, 3, 4, 5*, 6 Hybrids TFC 419 Stiff Flex
    M2 7-AW ReAx 75 Graphite
    PM Grind 56* KBS Rev 2.0
    Cameron Mallet
    jackdanger wrote:

golfgolf77 wrote:

rxk9fan wrote:

golfgolf77 wrote:

jackdanger wrote:

OK great, now just need some snow to melt and temps to go up about 30 degrees here!
    Posted:
    I'm on the market for a DPC 3-iron, haven't seen one in a few years...
    Posted:
    ZNDavis wrote:

Ping S56 are awesome irons, look much like the J40 CB at address, excellent performers...hard to find a nice set nowadays though, I had them and shot a few great rounds w/ them, then sold them to try out other clubs. If I could find a mint set of the S56, I'd consider using them again...most definitely...
    Posted:
    greg wrote:

golfgolf77 wrote:

pcs11 wrote:

Ha! you too huh?

Yup! Shoot my best scores w/ the Bridgestones, just awesome clubs.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • J9293J9293  346WRX Points: 139Members Posts: 346 Greens
    Have these irons reached legendary status yet?
    Posted:
    Driver: [font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Ping G400 Max - HZRDUS Yellow Handcrafted 6.0[/font]
    3 Wood:[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] Ping G400 - Alta CB[/font]
    Hybrid:[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] Ping G400 - Alta CB[/font]
    Irons: [font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Bridgestone J40 DPC - LZ 6.0[/font]
    Wedges:[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] Callaway X-Forged - S300[/font]
    Putter:[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] Scotty Cameron Red X5[/font]
    Ball:[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] Titleist Pro V1x[/font]
  • ChipNRunChipNRun  2058WRX Points: 452Members Posts: 2,058 Platinum Tees
    I got a test pack of J40 DPCs back when the model was launched. I got two 5i +9i pairs, one shafted with DG SL R300 and the second with NS Pro 950 R-flex.

Both flew fairly well at practice range, but due to bad spring weather I had to return them without taking them onto course. Ended up reshafting my Calla X20 Tours two seasons later with NS Pro 8950GH (launches slightly higher than NS Pro 950)
    Posted:
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr.
           4i refitted with SteelFiber 780 HLS Hybrid shaft R Flex 75 gr.
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS + MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr.  | Note: MD4 58°/8.C-grind may replace MD/PM
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) / 34" w. Ping Pistol PP60 grip (stock)
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperHot - orange
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course and season.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • Bobb3rdownBobb3rdown Bothell, WA 726WRX Points: 193Members Posts: 726 Golden Tee
    Played someone my best rounds with my old j36 pocket cavities. Might have to pull em out soon. To bad I didnt take care of them I let the shafts get pitted.
    Posted:
    mizuno st190 9.5
    Callaway rouge sub zero 15
    Adams pro mini 20
    Bridgestone tour b x-cb 4-pw 
    Vokey sm7 50.12, sm7 56.10, sm6 62.08
    Maltby ptm-4
    2018 Players 5 stand bag
    Srixon Z Star xv

Advertisement

Just thought I'd circle back to this thread as I am wrapping up a very successful 4 months of golf (maybe a bit of an understatement, playing the best golf of my life right now) with these fantastic irons. They've beaten out some tests against the before mentioned JPX 900 tours, various Srixons, 718 AP3's and most recently the 718 CB's. They feel so, SO dang good when you pure one. I literally dream about it for days after. If anybody reading this thread is on the fence trying them out just go for it. Still such amazing irons after all these years. They've stayed in the bag for way longer than I thought and I don't see them going anywhere soon. Now if only I can find J40 DPC of drivers....

Posted:
    3i - Adams DHY PRO 21*
    4i - Adams DHY PRO 24*
    50,54* - Vokey SM7

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.