2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Hybrid Board Shorts

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own a few pair of Hurley phantom's, and I've been wearing them more and more to golf. I love how light they are and the length is perfect. Honestly, wore a pair of RLX Cypress shorts this weekend, and thought the Hurley shorts were much better. They're basically all i wear now on and off the course.

[quote name='Badaxe' timestamp='1401314768' post='9384707']
Thanks, I'm going to give them a try.
[/quote]

i'd check ebay, or maybe local surf shops for possible sales. even found some at nike outlets, now that nike owns hurley they pop up from time to time there.

i lucked out that a few weeks ago that hurley.com had a 50% off sale on their entire site and i loaded up on a few.

The hybrid board shorts are called Walk Shorts in the surf industry. Basically as described, board short material with chino pockets so you can surf in them and immediately go shopping or out to eat without the need for changing. They are gaining more popularity over the last few seasons. Don't see why they wouldn't be a good alternative to a golf short. Can't imagine wearing a pair of sport board shorts like Phantoms though with no pockets.

[quote name='papichulosteve' timestamp='1401312842' post='9384471']
I own a few pair of Hurley phantom's, and I've been wearing them more and more to golf. I love how light they are and the length is perfect. Honestly, wore a pair of RLX Cypress shorts this weekend, and thought the Hurley shorts were much better. They're basically all i wear now on and off the course.
[/quote]

+1 on the Hurley Phantoms. Very comfortable shorts and great in hot weather. I picked up a couple of pairs at Nordstroms Rack for $25 each.

If you're into a more traditional look, Hurley is making chinos using Nikes Dri-fit material. Might want to take a look at those

[quote name='timmy8151' timestamp='1401318141' post='9385007']
[/quote]

+1 on the Hurley Phantoms. Very comfortable shorts and great in hot weather. I picked up a couple of pairs at Nordstroms Rack for $25 each.

If you're into a more traditional look, Hurley is making chinos using Nikes Dri-fit material. Might want to take a look at those
[/quote]

How did y

[quote name='timmy8151' timestamp='1401318141' post='9385007']
[/quote]

[/quote]

How did you pick up $125 board shorts for $25??

[quote name='Chilidog' timestamp='1401320321' post='9385217'][quote name='timmy8151' timestamp='1401318141' post='9385007']
[/quote]

[/quote]

How did you pick up $125 board shorts for $25??[/quote]

The phantom hybrids are like 60 max retail, i can easily see last seasons popping up at a nordstrom rack for 25. I paid 25 for a pair in september at an end of season sale at a surf shop.

Also picked up a pair of the previously mentioned dri-fit's in a pant version, super light material, not as stretchy, but definitely a nice soft feel.

[quote name='papichulosteve' timestamp='1401321890' post='9385389']
[quote name='Chilidog' timestamp='1401320321' post='9385217'][quote name='timmy8151' timestamp='1401318141' post='9385007']
[/quote]

[/quote]

How did you pick up $125 board shorts for $25??[/quote]

The phantom hybrids are like 60 max retail, i can easily see last seasons popping up at a nordstrom rack for 25. I paid 25 for a pair in september at an end of season sale at a surf shop.

Also picked up a pair of the previously mentioned dri-fit's in a pant version, super light material, not as stretchy, but definitely a nice soft feel.
[/quote]

Gotcha. You guys are talking about about the cheap Phantoms and not the Phantom Fuse or Create. Still don't know how you play golf in shorts with no pockets.

How did you pick up $125 board shorts for $25??

Gotcha. You guys are talking about about the cheap Phantoms and not the Phantom Fuse or Create. Still don't know how you play golf in shorts with no pockets.

not sure how everyone assumes we're talking about actual boardshorts.

these are the type of shorts the OP was referencing, the one's i've worn on the course plenty of times...

trans.gif

http://www.swell.com...u0c2_3C-XvD_BwE

Check out 18greens.com. They have a casual water short and it is designed to essentially double as a swim suit. Hands down my favorite golf shorts that I own. They are very light, dry very quick (just like a board short would) and fit great. I highly recommend them.

Travis Mathew also has a pair of shorts which double as board/water shorts. I believe the model is called the Spicolo. I have not tried them though so I really can't vouch for them,

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Please stay on topic. Thanks!

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade BRNR Mini, 11.5*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Srixon ZX Utility 20*, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

This is basically the only type of shorts I wear in the summer. Most people don't even know they are technically swim trunks. The golf industry is catching on, however. I've seen the same exact shorts from Travis Mathew in the TMCA collection and from John Ashworth's new company Link Soul. The other thing I like is that most of the pockets have a mesh side that allows any dirt that gets into your pocket from tees, divot tool, and titleists to fall through. Not good for yardage books though. The only way they could be better is if one of the back pockets was water proof.

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1401371223' post='9388481']
Check out 18greens.com. They have a casual water short and it is designed to essentially double as a swim suit. Hands down my favorite golf shorts that I own. They are very light, dry very quick (just like a board short would) and fit great. I highly recommend them.

Travis Mathew also has a pair of shorts which double as board/water shorts. I believe the model is called the Spicolo. I have not tried them though so I really can't vouch for them,
[/quote]

I've seen those shorts and were really tempted to buy them, the only reason i didn't was i couldn't justify having both those shorts and hybrids which, like you said are essentially the same exact thing.

[quote name='papichulosteve' timestamp='1401389626' post='9390747']

[/quote]

I've seen those shorts and were really tempted to buy them, the only reason i didn't was i couldn't justify having both those shorts and hybrids which, like you said are essentially the same exact thing.
[/quote]

yeah that makes sense. I find myself wearing the 18greens shorts all the time. I just wish they had more colors. I have the grey pair and really can't see myself wearing the other colors (maybe black but I already have a couple pairs of black shorts). I find myself wearing these shorts not only for golf on nice days but they are my go to in hot rainy rounds, I've worn them out on my friend's boat when I didn't feel like just wearing board shorts or mesh shorts, etc. I love the concept. I need to pick up a couple more pairs like these.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1401463043' post='9396359']
[quote name='papichulosteve' timestamp='1401389626' post='9390747']

[/quote]

[/quote]

yeah that makes sense. I find myself wearing the 18greens shorts all the time. I just wish they had more colors. I have the grey pair and really can't see myself wearing the other colors (maybe black but I already have a couple pairs of black shorts). I find myself wearing these shorts not only for golf on nice days but they are my go to in hot rainy rounds, I've worn them out on my friend's boat when I didn't feel like just wearing board shorts or mesh shorts, etc. I love the concept. I need to pick up a couple more pairs like these.
[/quote]

I'm right there with you. I've completely abandoned all other shorts besides my Hurley Hybrids. Even the darker colors work for more 'dressier' occasions.

i like cheap stuff so i wear these. they are a hybrid board short with full pockets and are awesome golf shorts

[url="http://www.walmart.com/ip/Op-Men-s-Solid-Surf-and-Turf-Shorts/30956712"]http://www.walmart.com/ip/Op-Men-s-Solid-Surf-and-Turf-Shorts/30956712[/url]

[url="http://www.walmart.com/ip/Op-Men-s-Large-Plaid-Surf-and-Turf-Shorts/30956643"]http://www.walmart.com/ip/Op-Men-s-Large-Plaid-Surf-and-Turf-Shorts/30956643[/url]

[quote name='jtj74' timestamp='1401468634' post='9396961']
i like cheap stuff so i wear these. they are a hybrid board short with full pockets and are awesome golf shorts

[url="http://www.walmart.com/ip/Op-Men-s-Solid-Surf-and-Turf-Shorts/30956712"]http://www.walmart.c...Shorts/30956712[/url]

[url="http://www.walmart.com/ip/Op-Men-s-Large-Plaid-Surf-and-Turf-Shorts/30956643"]http://www.walmart.c...Shorts/30956643[/url]
[/quote]

How are these when it comes to wrinkles?

[quote name='topr' timestamp='1401478389' post='9398013']
[quote name='jtj74' timestamp='1401468634' post='9396961']

[url="http://www.walmart.com/ip/Op-Men-s-Solid-Surf-and-Turf-Shorts/30956712"]http://www.walmart.c...Shorts/30956712[/url]

[url="http://www.walmart.com/ip/Op-Men-s-Large-Plaid-Surf-and-Turf-Shorts/30956643"]http://www.walmart.c...Shorts/30956643[/url]
[/quote]

How are these when it comes to wrinkles?
[/quote]

i'm one of those kind of guys that doesnt fold laundry. i just jam it in my drawer. these are basically wrinkle free. or as wrinkle free as they can be after being jammed in a drawer. i guess what i'm saying is they are great about not wrinkling.