2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

My take on the Cobra Bio Cell Pro Driver, Fairway Plus and Hybrid

Grapehunter

Prelude

Let me start off by saying that I am a golf equipment ho as many of us are on our beloved GolfWRX forums. Every chance I get I try out new gear. More often than not I end up gaming said gear until something new peaks my interest. Before I dove into the world of Cobra I was gaming the ever popular Taylormade SLDR's. Similar type of set up. I try to keep parts of my bag uniform and so I played the 460 Driver, Fairway and Hybrid. It was a joy when my ball striking was on but left something to be desired when I was off some.

I remember my gamers of the past, cycling through the dozens of woods that have come and gone over the years. Some with fond memories and some with regret. There was always that first true love that we let go of and spend a lifetime to find once again, maybe not necessarily in the same setup but by hopelessly and endlessly trudging through the Golf Store Wastelands. Enter the Cobra Bio Cell Pro Driver, Bio Cell Plus Fairway and Bio Cell Hybrid...

The Set Up

- Cobra Bio Cell Pro Driver w/ Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec VC 7.2 X-Flex

- Cobra Bio Cell Plus Fairway w/ Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec VC 7.2 X-Flex

- Cobra Bio Cell Hybrid w/ Fujikura Fuel 85HB X-Flex

The Big Dog

It was like shaking hands with a stranger that somehow felt familiar to you. You don't know where you've met before. All you know is that your paths have crossed at some point in the past. Such was the case with the Bio Cell Pro Driver. The very first swing I took with this club was not in my living room after it's unboxing but off the first tee and my local favorite course. My expectations were very high. More so that it was even for the SLDR with as much attention as that driver has received. My expectations were met with an swift swing, a muted almost thud like sound, a grimace after impact as I knew I hit it toe side high and then relief as I saw a nice high draw pulling the ball back into the fairway. Not the longest drive I've hit off that tee but given then impact point I was pleased. That same swing with the SLDR would've landed me 20 yards shorter and left off the fairway. A few more tee shots into the round and I've found my groove and the results were nothing less than stunning!

When Cobra says this driver is "Looooooooooong" they mean it. Even with my best drives with the SLDR I was easily 20 Yards+ further. Now before I go any further, let me make it clear that in no way am I saying that the Cobra Bio Cell Pro Driver is longer than the SLDR for everyone but I will say that it is undoubtedly longer for me. My drives all day were beautiful piercing bullets that would peak and then just keep going! Hole 10 is a 570 yard par 5. Never hit the green in two but it only took a Drive and a Hybrid shot to comfortable reach the back of the green. The greatest part off all this was I wasn't hitting it on the screws all the time. Some shots were a little on the toe side, some were low on the face, some were high on the face but all of the mishit drives were all easily within 5 yards of each other. Shots caught dead center were putting me in places on the course I've never before seen off the tee and I was always in the fairway! This is exactly what I've been searching for. A low spinning, forgiving driver that does not sacrifice distance for accuracy. The best way I can describe this club is if the Ping G25 and Taylormade 430 SLDR had babies, this driver would be the lovechild!

x4f2gj.jpg

35mo3mo.jpg

The Unfair Way

I almost had no use for this club. Let me explain... You see, I've built my bag so I could attack par 5's on the courses I play the most in my local area. Most of the time this meant a Driver and then Fairway into the green. Such is no longer the case. The Driver has put me past the point of needing a 3 Wood off the fairway. So what to do? Guess I'll just use it off the tee more often. So that's exactly what I did. Following suit with the Driver, the Cobra Bio Cell + Fairway was very forgiving on miss hits. Still got the ball in the air with ease but the spin was nice and low so accuracy was deadly. I've always struggled with my fairway woods in the past. Most of the time they ended being my draw club. With the Bio Cell + I simply picked a spot and swung away. Straight every time with maybe a slight power fade. Perfect! It worked great for when I needed to poke one out there on a narrow fairway or if driver was going to put me in the water at the end of the fairway. Once again, longer for me than the SLDR fairway but only on average. The SLDR Fairway in this case was equally long but on average the Bio Cell + was longer.

34qldt1.jpg

243pb0o.jpg

The Shocker

So this is where things really surprised me. Remember I said I didn't have much use for the 3 wood anymore? This club right here is probably the biggest reason why. Originally I thought I made a mistake by ordering the 3/4 Hybrid which only goes down to a 19 degree setting at it's lowest loft. In the past I always carried a 17 degree hybrid. In hind sight I am very happy now that I made the choice that I did because this little thing is a beast! I'm not going to go into numbers here because it seems like every time I do, some people have a hard time believing them so until I get on trackman with these clubs I will tell you this... Normally with a 17 degree Hybrid I am anywhere from 240-245 yards off the tee. With the SLDR my longest was about 270 yards. I saw that drive once and then never again. The Bio Cell Hybrid; However, drops a turd on the ball that was just struck with the SLDR hybrid as it flies by with ease. Average yardage with the SLDR hybrid was probably close to 245-250. Average yardage with this hybrid is more and I'll leave it at that. This is the biggest surprise for me of the three woods tested here today. As with the Driver and Fairway, Mishits were forgiven in almost ludicrous fashion. One drive with the hybrid I nearly missed the club head altogether and the ball still landed in the fairway with a little draw about as far out as my old hybrid (pre SLDR) would fly. When I looked at the mark on the club face from the ball I didn't even see an entire ball mark. Thats how bad I miss hit it!

10nf2it.jpg

sy89s8.jpg

Conclusion

So the question of the hour is, are the Cobra Bio Cell woods all they are cracked up to be? The answer is a resounding NO. They are so much more. All the hype, all the stories, all the claims in my case 150% true. Are there other low spin alternatives out there? Yes. Are there other equally forgiving woods out there? Absolutely. Do any of them deliver in the way Cobra has in their Bio Cell line up? Hell no! Low spin? You got it! Forgiveness? You go it! Extra Distance? You got it! And if that wasn't enough this setup as I have it now would be considered a Premium Upgrade in the way of shafts and yet you could have any off these three woods for less than the upgraded version of the Taylormade or Callaway equivalents. How's that for a punch in the gut? I've enjoyed golf for many years and I've tooled with the idea of quitting for a while because of my struggles at times. I laughed, I've damn near cried but never have I giggled like a little school girl after tee shots like I have with these woods. To say that I have found my holy grail would be an understatement and yet to say that I've finally satiated my need to ho would be a lie, I can very comfortably and confidently say that for now, at this very moment that these woods are irrevocably what's in my bag.

M1 460 Driver<br /><br /><br /><br /> M1 3 Wood<br /><br /><br /><br /> M1 Hybrid<br /><br /><br /><br /> RSi TP irons PW-4<br /><br /><br /><br /> Edel Wedges 50,55,60<br /><br /><br /><br /> MACHINE M2A Converter Putter<br /><br /><br /><br /> <a href="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1012489-grapehunters-witb/" title="WITB Link" target="_blank">WITB Link</a><br />

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good stuff grape. What is your index?

Isnt amazing how forgiving the pro driver is for being 440 cc?

I hope my findings are similar to yours with the fwys. Ill also be coming from the sldrs which ive had issues being consistent with off the turf. From my understanding the plus fwys are equally as long as the sldrs with added forgiveness. Perfect.

Thanks for the fantastic review.I haven't had a Cobra driver since the L4V & that was a monster(except the sound).The Cobra line up looks great;especially the driver.Now I may have to head over toa demo day this weekend to try them out.

Adams 9015D w/X con4,Ping G20 w/HD6& [color=#0000CD Mizuno JPX 900 5 & 7 woods,Mashie 3 & 4
Bridgestone J40 DPC’s & S3 Pro’s,Mizuno S7 54 & 58
[color=#FF0000]Bettinardi SS7, BC1,Ping Anser 1968 BeCu

Nice reviews, Cobra has really made some fantastic inroads for their wood lineup in the last few years. I'd respectfully disagree on the hybrid slightly, I found the distance on their 19 just wasn't there compared to my adams - she seemed pretty heavy - easy to control - absolutely but almost 20 yards less than my Super LS.

pretty awesome review, great pics and to the point - well done
we don't have the Pro's in stock yet, Id like to see one in person before I pulled the trigger tho

Question - did you have the Speeders in the SLDR's too?

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

I was pretty set on getting the BC+ driver, but your pictures have me thinking that I might "need" the 3W as well now.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Really want to spring for a + 3 wood but it's going to be hard getting my CB4 Tour/PX 8A4 out of the bag. I keep hearing great things about the BioCell + fairway woods though....

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

[quote name='TheBerk' timestamp='1401447837' post='9394931']
Nice reviews, Cobra has really made some fantastic inroads for their wood lineup in the last few years. I'd respectfully disagree on the hybrid slightly, I found the distance on their 19 just wasn't there compared to my adams - she seemed pretty heavy - easy to control - absolutely but almost 20 yards less than my Super LS.
[/quote]

Listen in all fairness, the super LS is not your typical hybrid. I have one and that thing is stupid long!! My 17 degree puts it out there in 3 wood distances more often than not. I have been trying to find a longer 3 wood than my 15 degree TEE CB4 because it is only 5-10 longer than the adams, and thats only on very well struck shots.

[quote name='drvrwdge' timestamp='1401455125' post='9395457']
Really want to spring for a + 3 wood but it's going to be hard getting my CB4 Tour/PX 8A4 out of the bag. I keep hearing great things about the BioCell + fairway woods though....
[/quote]

I am in the same boat with my CB4, it is such a great FW, but as I mentioned above, I need some distance gapping from my 17 Super LS. I hit one of the Cell + 3 woods indoors and it felt amazing. It does have a smaller head than I prefer, but it felt so good coming off the face. Very similar to my CB4. If I could put a good 20 yard gap withe the cell + and my Super LS it would be a no brainer!

[u]Driver [/u]- Taylormade M5 9 degree - Tensei Pro White 70TX
[u]3 wood[/u] - TEE CB4--Axivcore Tour Green 85X
[u]Hybrid[/u] - Callaway X2hot 18 Tour Green 75X
[u]Irons[/u] - Titleist 714 AP2 4-pw DG X100
[u]Wedges [/u]- SM7 52, SM5 58 DG X100
[u]Putter [/u]- Seemore FGP Mallet

[quote name='rodney24' timestamp='1401455579' post='9395501']
[quote name='TheBerk' timestamp='1401447837' post='9394931']
[/quote]

Listen in all fairness, the super LS is not your typical hybrid. I have one and that thing is stupid long!! My 17 degree puts it out there in 3 wood distances more often than not. I have been trying to find a longer 3 wood than my 15 degree TEE CB4 because it is only 5-10 longer than the adams, and thats only on very well struck shots.

[quote name='drvrwdge' timestamp='1401455125' post='9395457']
[/quote]

I am in the same boat with my CB4, it is such a great FW, but as I mentioned above, I need some distance gapping from my 17 Super LS. I hit one of the Cell + 3 woods indoors and it felt amazing. It does have a smaller head than I prefer, but it felt so good coming off the face. Very similar to my CB4. If I could put a good 20 yard gap withe the cell + and my Super LS it would be a no brainer!
[/quote]

I think the issue is with the Adams, I dont believe that is a 3 wood on th emarket longer than the cb4 tour, not for me anyways. Its almost too long, I wish I had gotten the 16.5.

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

[quote name='kekoa' timestamp='1401432839' post='9394617']
Good stuff grape. What is your index?

Isnt amazing how forgiving the pro driver is for being 440 cc?

I hope my findings are similar to yours with the fwys. Ill also be coming from the sldrs which ive had issues being consistent with off the turf. From my understanding the plus fwys are equally as long as the sldrs with added forgiveness. Perfect.
[/quote]

Playing to a 12.2 index right now and trending down. Spent the last 5 months overhauling the swing. Things are starting to feel second nature to me now. It's allowing me to comfortably be aggressive which is my play style.

The 440cc driver head is remarkable. The E9 face technology is the real deal. Hard to describe but I can tell when I'm off center but it still feels and goes like a centered shot. I like the classic look of the smaller head but wanted the forgiveness lacking with the SLDR head. Cobra nailed it.

M1 460 Driver<br /><br /><br /><br /> M1 3 Wood<br /><br /><br /><br /> M1 Hybrid<br /><br /><br /><br /> RSi TP irons PW-4<br /><br /><br /><br /> Edel Wedges 50,55,60<br /><br /><br /><br /> MACHINE M2A Converter Putter<br /><br /><br /><br /> <a href="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1012489-grapehunters-witb/" title="WITB Link" target="_blank">WITB Link</a><br />

[quote name='enis750' timestamp='1401453459' post='9395315']
pretty awesome review, great pics and to the point - well done
we don't have the Pro's in stock yet, Id like to see one in person before I pulled the trigger tho

Question - did you have the Speeders in the SLDR's too?
[/quote]

I did not have speeders in the SLDRs. I had Obama Devotion shafts in the driver and fairway and the stock shaft in the hybrid. Not a direct comparison but my goal moving into the Cobra woods was to reduce some spin with a lot more forgiveness. The lowest loft setting on the 460 SLDR is 8 degrees which for me doesn't work. I could've gone into a 430 SLDR but I'd be sacrificing even more forgiveness so the Bio Cell Pro set to 7 degrees fit the bill perfectly. Less spin, hot all over the face.

The Motore Speeder 7.2 Tour Spec made a HUGE difference in my G25.

I know I'm going to end up with a Pro at some point.

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

Mizuno STG 15* Ventus Blue 7x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 5

[quote name='t4t3r' timestamp='1401455016' post='9395437']
The Pro head is nicer looking than the Plus for sure, but the paint break on my white/black Plus head does frame the ball nicely. Holding off on the Pro as I JUST got the Plus, but a few more of these "reviews" and I'll be scouring eBay for the Pro :)
[/quote]

I do not think you need to scour anything for a great deal. Cobragolf has a terrific deal going on right now using CPGFAMILY for additional 35% off. You can get the Bio Cell Pro for $194 with 3 different shaft selections (but I think some shaft selections are gone already).

Driver: Titleist TSR4 - Folds of Honor Ventura Blue TR
Fairway: Taylormade Stealth 2 16.5 - Tour UB TX

7 Wood: PXG Gen 5 7 wood - AD XS

Hybrid: PXG Gen 6 22* 4 - Tour AD 95x
Irons:   PXG 0317 CB 5-G - Steelfiber Reserve 110cw
Wedges:  TaylorMade MG3 54* / Taylormade Hi Toe 58* - KBS TGI
Putter: 1st - Low Tide Stability BLACK / Odyssey Tank Stability Black CounterBalance / Goodwood M6
Ball: Titleist -Prov1x, 2022 AVX, Tour B XS, TP5x  (Left Dash is number 1 ball but Bridgestone XS is close second)  

[quote name='MPG' timestamp='1401810156' post='9421539']
The Pro head is nicer looking than the Plus for sure, but the paint break on my white/black Plus head does frame the ball nicely. Holding off on the Pro as I JUST got the Plus, but a few more of these "reviews" and I'll be scouring eBay for the Pro :)
[/quote]

I do not think you need to scour anything for a great deal. Cobragolf has a terrific deal going on right now using CPGFAMILY for additional 35% off. You can get the Bio Cell Pro for $194 with 3 different shaft selections (but I think some shaft selections are gone already).
[/quote]

Great deal indeed. Not a fan of the launch/spin on my Plus so I ordered a Pro last night - hopefully they honor everyones orders.

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on this? Still in love with the pro?

• AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Kaili White 60X
  • TM SIM Ti 18.25* - Tensei AV White 2.0 TX
  • TM Stealth 7w 21* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS

Very much so. Been so busy with work lately. I'll do an update soon.

[quote name='Grapehunter' timestamp='1402591981' post='9480981']
[/quote]Cool thanks. My black Pro/DI7x black version combo just came in and im staring at it in my office. Can't wait to hit the range with it!

• AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Kaili White 60X
  • TM SIM Ti 18.25* - Tensei AV White 2.0 TX
  • TM Stealth 7w 21* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS

[quote name='t4t3r' timestamp='1401819599' post='9422833']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Great deal indeed. Not a fan of the launch/spin on my Plus so I ordered a Pro last night - hopefully they honor everyones orders.
[/quote]

Just got my Cell Plus today and plan to try it out tomorrow. Original plan was to get 913 D3, as I've been wanting to go back to a smaller head, but liked what I was hearing about the Cell Plus, in terms of forgiveness and spin, in comparison to the D3. Actually preferred the look of the Pro, but was thinking it might be too low spin for me, as it has been described as having lower spin than the Plus. So looking for comparison between Pro and Plus in terms of launch and spin for those in the know. Thanks.

Titleist TSR2, 10 degrees, GD Tour AD DI 5
Titleist TSR2 16.5(@15.75) degrees,  Fuji Speeder Evo I 661
Titleist TSR2  18 (@17.25)  degrees,  Fuji Speeder Evo I 661
Mizuno CLK 19 degrees,   Mitsu Tensei CK Pro Blue Hybrid Shaft
Mizuno STZ 230 22 degrees, Mitsu Tensei CK Pro Blue Hybrid Shaft
Mizuno STZ 230  25 degrees, Mitsu Tensei Blue Hybrid Shaft
Mizuno Pro 225,  DG 95

Vokey SM9 50/8F, SM9 56/10S
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Tour B RX

[quote name='wgmoney' timestamp='1402611130' post='9483139']
[quote name='t4t3r' timestamp='1401819599' post='9422833']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just got my Cell Plus today and plan to try it out tomorrow. Original plan was to get 913 D3, as I've been wanting to go back to a smaller head, but liked what I was hearing about the Cell Plus, in terms of forgiveness and spin, in comparison to the D3. Actually preferred the look of the Pro, but was thinking it might be too low spin for me, as it has been described as having lower spin than the Plus. So looking for comparison between Pro and Plus in terms of launch and spin for those in the know. Thanks.
[/quote]

If you know your launch numbers with the cell plus then figure 600 rpm or so and about a half degree lower launch like for like setup.

[quote name='Albatross85' timestamp='1402592195' post='9481013']
[quote name='Grapehunter' timestamp='1402591981' post='9480981']
[/quote]Cool thanks. My black Pro/DI7x black version combo just came in and im staring at it in my office. Can't wait to hit the range with it!
[/quote]

Wow. That sounds exactly like me. I just got my BCP, Black ADDI6, and BC+ 5/7 at the office. It's sitting in the corner glaring at me. I have a 6:00 tee time tomorrow morning. So no range time before I take her on her maiden voyage. To make matters worse I injured my wrist this morning golfing and can't get any power with my release. I'll report back tomorrow, but I have a feeling I am heading for doom without range time and with the injury...

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

My Bio Cell Pro:

I bought a black Cell Pro with PXV 52 6.5 shaft.
I had an Attas T2 6X lying around that plays 5/8" shorter than the stock shaft.
I snagged a Cell+ tip adapter on Ebay, bought some epoxy, mounted it up, and the next morning gamed it without ever swinging it.
I had 7 career drives on that course.
I had my longest drive ever anywhere ( flat ground, no wind ) at 305 yd
I shot my lowest score ever anywhere at +2 ( coulda been under par if not for a few simple gaffs )

I have never had a driver change that yielded such noticeable improvements for me.
I had always been chasing low lofted heads ( 7.5 & 8.5 ) , mated with Low/Low shafts to reduce my spin.
It was quite the feeling to have a career round, much of it attributed to the Big Daaawwwg !
( I even bought a backup blue Cell Pro head from the BST )

- Andy

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Titleist TSi2 10*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrids  |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Received my BCP and BC + 3/4 wood today. Both in orange with the D+ 72. Looking forward to gettin out tomorrow and hitting the range. There's a titleist demo day at my club and I need to find what grind I want in my 58 SM5.

Really curious to see if the BC+ 3 wood can get out my trusty CB4 tour.

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

[quote name='drvrwdge' timestamp='1402615299' post='9483501']
Received my BCP and BC + 3/4 wood today. Both in orange with the D+ 72. Looking forward to gettin out tomorrow and hitting the range. There's a titleist demo day at my club and I need to find what grind I want in my 58 SM5.

Really curious to see if the BC+ 3 wood can get out my trusty CB4 tour.
[/quote]

BC+ fairway is a beast I just put it into play last round with one range session. Just got my pro in today with a black ad di 7x. Ready to give it a go against my ZLE.

Cobra Speedzone 9.0 Tour AD-GP 6x
Cobra Radspeed Big Tour 14.5 Tour AD-TP 7X 
Cobra Speedzone Tour 17.5 Tour AD-HD 8x
Tee CB Pro U 21 Tour AD DI 95x
Cobra King Forged Irons 5-G Nippon Modus 130 S
Cobra King Versatile 56* 60* Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
Kingston KP001 GSS