Should there be a separate Hickory, Persimmon and Classic Clubs BST forum?

I apologize if this has been brought up before but, I personally do not like trying to navigate through the BST forum that currently exists for golf clubs, shafts, grips, etc.,

I feel like 99.99999% of what is posted there currently are for items that are POST METAL and the filter either doesn't work or just about no one is trying to BUY, SELL or TRADE anything vintage or classic.

Am I a total neophyte or what?

I realize that what most of us possess is probably considered ancient or outdated by today's younger generation.

Are we to be considered pre-historic or dinosaurs?

Please voice your opinions!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't see why there couldn't be a pinned Classic/Vintage Buy-Sell-Trade thread at the top of this forum ?

Personally I'd be all in favour of a few more sub-categories as well. A separation of Hickory vs Persimmon & Classic would be a good idea for starters ...

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

I am sorta new to this forum but I think it has been brought up before. It would be a good idea though. Most of us myself included seem to be hoarders but personally I would get rid of some of my stuff to a good home. I think most of us appreciate the vintage stuff and want to preserve it and put it in play

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1403214237' post='9534629']
I am sorta new to this forum but I think it has been brought up before. It would be a good idea though. [b]Most of us myself included seem to be hoarders[/b] but personally I would get rid of some of my stuff to a good home. I think most of us appreciate the vintage stuff and want to preserve it and put it in play
[/quote]

In a moment of clarity yesterday evening I laid out all of my vintage golf clubs (all acquired in the last 12 months) on the bedroom floor. Yikes! I may need an intervention soon. I tried and tried to figure out how to downsize my hoard but holy Moses I'm attached to them all! The look on my wife's face as i tried to rationalize it was some combination of pity and disgust, lol. Bless her heart, though, I think she still loves me. She's definitely a keeper!

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

HC,
It is tough as hell to get rid of a sweet set. I understand, but it can be done. I have come to the rationalization that I can only play one bag at a time . I remember when I had only two sets of irons. Took me forever to decide which one to play. Now, I have bought, sold, horse traded so many sets over the years that I have gotten over the need to put any emotional investment in any one set.

[quote name='HoldenCornfield' timestamp='1403227707' post='9536083']
[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1403214237' post='9534629']
I am sorta new to this forum but I think it has been brought up before. It would be a good idea though. [b]Most of us myself included seem to be hoarders[/b] but personally I would get rid of some of my stuff to a good home. I think most of us appreciate the vintage stuff and want to preserve it and put it in play
[/quote]

In a moment of clarity yesterday evening I laid out all of my vintage golf clubs (all acquired in the last 12 months) on the bedroom floor. Yikes! I may need an intervention soon. I tried and tried to figure out how to downsize my hoard but holy Moses I'm attached to them all! The look on my wife's face as i tried to rationalize it was some combination of pity and disgust, lol. Bless her heart, though, I think she still loves me. She's definitely a keeper!
[/quote]At least you can lay yours out on the bedroom floor. To lay all of mine out I would need at least a 40 by 40 bedroom. My wife she is a saint she never says anything. She says it could be worse I could be hanging out at the bars and chasing lewd women :)

[quote name='super20dan' timestamp='1403261663' post='9537905']
if there was a section for us in the bst =they would just make fun of us there
[/quote]Heck let thm make fun I can probably take my vintage stuff and beat a majority of them from the proper tees of course

• 2 weeks later...

Great idea. I have a few sets I am trying to track down.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='JMSDKS' timestamp='1403383843' post='9547221']
I would vote for one. This is really the only forum on GolfWRX that I come to anymore. Can't quite relate to the others.
[/quote]

Bumping as this is exactly what has happened with me. A BST would be so beneficial.

Particularly an area where we could post......"looking for a xxx 7 iron to complete my set" and not have it get lost in the clutter.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1409793885' post='10060459']
[quote name='JMSDKS' timestamp='1403383843' post='9547221']
I would vote for one. This is really the only forum on GolfWRX that I come to anymore. Can't quite relate to the others.
[/quote]

Bumping as this is exactly what has happened with me. A BST would be so beneficial.

Particularly an area where we could post......"looking for a xxx 7 iron to complete my set" and not have it get lost in the clutter.
[/quote]

There are too many guys on the other posts who are stroking one another about prices for current clubs. Most of the posters on this site seem to be avid, real , and honest. My opinion is that we should have our own site, but I doubt the powers that be will allow it.

CHARLEY PENNA

As someone who buys and sells quite a bit on Ebay I would love to be able to post more here but in the past when I did I got no responses and felt they were lost with the newer clubs,.
I also as a buyer find it hard to find any classics in the wrx section,
So I too think it would be great if we had our own buy and sell merged with our classic forums, . We can still follow the rules they need us to, just put the link here in the Classic forum section.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I looked at the main BST forum yesterday and found only 3 posts with classic/vintage clubs for sale in the first 4-5 pages. One Wilson 8802 putter, one set of Hogan Personal irons and one set of Hogan PC irons. The rest are modern sticks/accessories for sale. I feel this once again proves that anyone looking to buy, sell or trade classic/vintage golf clubs will look elsewhere. Why should that be? The younger generation of golfers looks at our beloved gear as ancient and worthless. We take pride in the design and craftsmanship of forged blades and persimmon woods. We search for our next "Holy Grail" find and rejoice in each others good fortune.

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

[quote name='xgolfx' timestamp='1411565200' post='10174429']
[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1409829361' post='10062031']
Well Charley, if anyone has the stroke to make it happen. Perhaps we could start some type of petition
[/quote]

There are only 21 replies to this post to date. How can we do a petition and attract more replies

CHARLEY PENNA
[/quote]

I would love to see it here so I didn't have to buy from Ebay!

Well Charley, if anyone has the stroke to make it happen. Perhaps we could start some type of petition
[/quote]

There are only 21 replies to this post to date. How can we do a petition and attract more replies

CHARLEY PENNA
[/quote]

I've been pondering this as I've pondered it before. One challenge we have is the active # of golfers we actually have in this forum.

If the number of active posters in the last six months is greater than 30, I'd be surprised.

In my case, I posted a year ago that I would love some Staff Buttonbacks - within two days, I had two members offering me sets. Bob has offered me some set-fillers and some persimmon when I've needed it. I'm divesting myself of some clubs, and posted that I was. With no PMs in three days, I felt guilt-free about putting them on eBay.

One of the things I like about our group is we are enthusiasts. We help each other out, and usually do so at little to no cost to whomever needs the help. By going "BST Style", it now turns this into more of a marketplace. IMHO, we already have eBay and the BST forum if we are looking to spend or collect bigger $$$ for something that is a bit nicer than regular daily gamers.

Just my thoughts guys (and gal).

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1411565902' post='10174501']
[/quote]

CHARLEY PENNA
[/quote]

I've been pondering this as I've pondered it before. One challenge we have is the active # of golfers we actually have in this forum.

If the number of active posters in the last six months is greater than 30, I'd be surprised.

In my case, I posted a year ago that I would love some Staff Buttonbacks - within two days, I had two members offering me sets. Bob has offered me some set-fillers and some persimmon when I've needed it. I'm divesting myself of some clubs, and posted that I was. With no PMs in three days, I felt guilt-free about putting them on eBay.

One of the things I like about our group is we are enthusiasts. We help each other out, and usually do so at little to no cost to whomever needs the help. By going "BST Style", it now turns this into more of a marketplace. IMHO, we already have eBay and the BST forum if we are looking to spend or collect bigger $$$ for something that is a bit nicer than regular daily gamers.

[/quote] I think you may be correct . From what I have seen on here most of us "regulars" are alike we like to collect and play old stuff. I for one dont collect for profit but i dont see anything wrong if someone does it. But as you said there are not really a lot of us regulars on here about 30 or so. It may not be worth the effort for the folks who run this site to do us a seperate BST forum I have no idea whatsoever about the mechanics of such a site as this. Like you said we do like to help each other out from time to time and that is a good thing and I for one enjoy it

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1411592115' post='10177189']
[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1411565902' post='10174501']
[/quote]

CHARLEY PENNA
[/quote]

[/quote] I think you may be correct . From what I have seen on here most of us "regulars" are alike we like to collect and play old stuff. I for one dont collect for profit but i dont see anything wrong if someone does it. But as you said there are not really a lot of us regulars on here about 30 or so. It may not be worth the effort for the folks who run this site to do us a seperate BST forum I have no idea whatsoever about the mechanics of such a site as this. Like you said we do like to help each other out from time to time and that is a good thing and I for one enjoy it
[/quote]

As a newcomer around here, was somewhat unsure on how to broach the subject of "looking to buy". Did not want to run afoul of the rules and regs. Well, awhile back, found a set of irons that was missing the 5. Posted a thinly veiled request for one. Within minutes, Teevons responded with a "I got one" post. (Thx, Teevons!). I guess the way to approach this is to come right out and state your BST request. Then if there is interest, take it to PM.

If I looking to flip something, and try to make a few small shekels (financing for future acquisitions) I'm mostly likely going straight to eBay. If for no other reason than respect for the "code of conduct" you regulars seem to have created concerning such matters.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

We're a pretty good self-regulating group.

Even the flamers and trolls who stop by are treated gracefully and are invited to spend some time with us.

I often wonder if moderating this forum is the easiest mod job Smitty has ever had.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

I do find a lot of stuff and I dont do flea bay I just like to help out and dont do it for profit. I just love old clubs and the history and memories of some players I knew that played a certain club or ball etc. Heck if it dont violate any rules of the board if you are looking for something feel free to drop me a PM like I said if it does not violate any rules. I will try to help