2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

V-Steel... Opinions please

Flylow

I am currently hitting a R9 4 Wood. A friend of mine is willing to sale me his V-Steel 3 & 5 Woods. What are your thoughts on the V-Steel's replacing my R9? I know that it really comes down to how they perform for me, but thought I would get some opinions as well. Should I go for it, or am I wasting my time and should be looking at Woods that are a bit more modern?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You probably won't get much in difference as far as performance goes. but in terms of bag appeal? big upgrade. V steels are cult classics as far as TM is concerned.

It's like that scene from gone in 60 seconds. Would you be cool if you parked your new ferrari in front of starbucks (r9)? Or would you be a connoisseur with your vintage ferrari (vsteel).

I love V Steel's. Best fairway I have played. I even bag a 7w that easily kicked my 20* hybrid out. Easier to hit both off the tee and off the deck and it is easy to flight up or down. Never played the r9 fairways, but the V Steels are just a classic.

Callaway Rogue SZ 10.5* W/ Matrix F7M2
Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 16.5* W/ Matrix F7M2 Proto

Adams Super LS 19* W/ Kuro Kage 80
Royal Collection Tour VS 5-PW W/ Aldila RIP Tour 115
Taylormade RAC Satin 50 + 54 W/ Aldila RIP Tour 115
MaxFli CrossBax 3.0 (#9 Style)
Bag - Honma Mini Staff
Ball - Taylormade RBZ Urethane

I switched to one after to years with the two previous rocketballz models which were basically 2nd drivers. Very east to hit high with a soft feel when struck vs the harsh feel from the low and forward COG newer models. Definitely shorter than the newer 3 woods, but shouldn't be when compared to the R9's.

In search of solid contact...

I have to be honest with you, in spite of all the hype on this site and elsewhere, the V Steels are quite possibly the worst fairway wood ever made. And the tour issue versions...well, don't even get me started on [i][b]that[/b][/i] one.

Accordingly, I have decided to perform a public service for golfers everywhere by doing my level best to remove all of these from the aftermarket, and dispose of them properly (usually with some variation of the Speeder shaft, or a good, heavy Purple Ice). For the tour issue versions, I'll even pay shipping, if that helps get these dangerous woods off the market and out of the hands of children!!!

By the way, I feel just as strongly about the MP-650 fairway woods. If I were you, I'd stay away from the seductive powers of both. You've been warned...

Okay, well it sounds like I better give them a shot for sure. My next question is should I refinish them? I just bought a new Red ZL Encore driver, and it crossed my mind to refinish them in Red to match (if I hit them well). I have a friend that has a Powder Coating shop, so I thought about hitting him up. Thanks for all of the replies and help! I appreciate it!

lol, I have to agree with last post. I know I am in the minority but I don't get the love for the V steel. For me, they set up too closed at address & the distance is 10-15 yards shorter compared to RBZ 2 tour.

I have a LH 3 wood I have been trying to sell. Would take $35 incl shipping. Has decent shaft (Aldila Voodoo SVS7)

Driver- Taylor Made SIM, Project X Hzrdus HC 6.0

3 wood- Mizuno STZ, Fujikura Motore X f3
Hybrid- Taylor Made SIM 2, Mitsubshi Tensei AV Blue 80
Irons- Mizuno JPX 921 SEL, KBS $ Taper

Wedges- Titleist SM8- 50, 54 & 58 
Putter- Bettinardi Innovai 6.0

I just acquired a V Steel T/S 13 degree from the BST. Played three rounds. Loving the club, but may want to replace the original mas shaft. I am amazed at how easy it is to elevate this club off the deck. I've been playing an Adams 13 degree 5050 with old original Blueboard, but I rarely would hit it off the deck, although I love it off the tee.

I haven't figured out the distance with the V Steel, but I think it's not as long as the 5050, which is why I'm contemplating a shaft change. The V steel also seems to go very straight.

I'd suggest you try them.

Good luck.

v-steels rule, im stil using mine :D

Mizuno STZ 9.5 Motore X F1s 44.5"
Callaway X-Hot Pro 15° Project X pxv 6.0

Mizuno CLK 3 Hybrid Tensei Blue S
Srixon ZX7 4-AW Nippon Modus3 Tour 120s 
Taylormade Hi-Toe Raw 56*-62* 
Wilson Staff 8802 Milled 32.5"
Titleist Tour Speed/ ProvV1 21

[quote name='Flylow' timestamp='1403790735' post='9582153']
I am currently hitting a R9 4 Wood. A friend of mine is willing to sale me his V-Steel 3 & 5 Woods. What are your thoughts on the V-Steel's replacing my R9? I know that it really comes down to how they perform for me, but thought I would get some opinions as well. Should I go for it, or am I wasting my time and should be looking at Woods that are a bit more modern?
[/quote]

Loved the look and feel of the V Steel but Im not sure I will ever find something I like as much as my R9 setup. I have messed with a few other 3w over the years and they just keep getting put in the "backup bag." I actually just ordered a new R9 head with the anticipation of eventually wearing mine out.

The newer fw woods do go longer than ones of the past. The RBZ 2 I have almost goes as far as my driver...but I feel like I can close my eyes with the ol' R9 and put one out in the middle of the fairway. Point being, it doesnt matter if you dont hit the V-Steel as far as the R9 as long as it does what a FW is supposed to do...find the fairway.

Stealth+ 10.5: LAG Trono 65x
Stealth 15: Speeder Evo I 757x
TM UDI 2: Motore Speeder Tour Spec HB9.8x
19 P790 4-PW: DG TI X100
TM MG 50, TM TW 56/60 
Scotty SS NP 2

I have a full arsenal of v steels, all with my preferred stock steel shaft. They are great off the tee or turf. Believe me, if they were "inferior" to newer clubs, I wouldn't still be playing them.

Ping G410 9* Alta CB
Ping G410 15* 3 Wood Alta CB
Ping G410 19* & 22* Hybrid Alta CB
Ping G 5-UW N.S. Pro Modus3 105
Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 54*, 58*
Ping Anser Milled 0
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1378338-pkshooter-witb-2016-all-ping/"]WITB Link[/url]

Threw my 5 wood one time after a not so good shot. Didn't feel particularly aggressive, but none the less the shaft snapped at the hosel. I plan on rebuilding her, though. I use a 5 wood as my longest club behind my driver, so I'm thinking about putting in a whiteboard 73x to make it launch a little lower and spin a little less, making it run out more. Since then I've been switching out between a g15 5 wood with a black prolite x flex and a 15* g10 hybrid with a shimmed .350 tip 757 stiff tipped 1", but I still look at my v steel longingly.

Ping G15 10.5* w/ Prolaunch Red S
Ping G15 18.5* w/ Prolite fairway X
Ping G10 21* w/ Oban Revenge S
Ping i15 4-W w/ PX satin 6.0
Ping Tour S 52* & 56*, Eye 2 60*
Ping Anser 2 Pat. Pending Black satin

[quote name='Smithj36' timestamp='1403799152' post='9583267']
lol, I have to agree with last post. I know I am in the minority but I don't get the love for the V steel. For me, they set up too closed at address & the distance is 10-15 yards shorter compared to RBZ 2 tour.

I have a LH 3 wood I have been trying to sell. Would take $35 incl shipping. Has decent shaft (Aldila Voodoo SVS7)
[/quote]

Lol. You know the previous poster was being sarcastic... right...?

There is 15 pages of vsteel love on one thread (could be more now). I have a t/s, 15*, and 18*. I dont normally carry a 3 wood. I loved the 5 wood. It was super easy to elevate. I had an Aldila RIP 80 in it and it had a piercing high trajectory every time... hm... with this post it makes me want to put it back in the bag instead of the BC+ 4w....

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

V-Steel is a GREAT fairway wood....played it for ages. Great off the tee, fantastic turf interaction....I'd still be gaming it but came across a little gem of a 3w called the XHot Pro that sets up nearly the same but hits like a cannon.

Can't go wrong with the V-Steel....and it can be had for the cost of a cup of coffee these days!

If looking to a "modern" version, you might want to check out the XHP.

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

I own a refinished, reshafted 3 and 5 woods and (for me) those bad boys come alive with the Fubuki AX installed. Notwithsatnding that I rather stupidly purchased an R9 4 wood with a view to lofting it down to 16.5 deg to replace both my V Steels, £60 and 2 rounds later the V Steels are back in the bag. The R9 TP Matrix Ozik shaft feels horrible in comparison.

"Carol Vorderman..... I was watching her the other day .....and I got aroused...............7 letters ... not bad for someone who left school at 15"

Gotta love Peter Alliss!

I stumbled across a second hand v-steel fitted with YS6 X flex shaft about 8 years ago… the only club in my bag i haven't replaced. In fact i bought its little brother 5 wood and refitted them both with YS7+ X shafts. I have replaced my irons 4 times, driver 5 times and putter 3 times since buying the v-steel.

Driver: Callaway GBB Speeder Evo 2 665 X flex
Fairway: Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Irons: Apex Pro 3-PW
Wedges: Mack Daddy 2 50/54, TMag TP EF grind 60
Putter: Odyssey Protype #2 Black

There's a huge thread on this club alone (called Band of Brothers V-Steel I believe)...if you look at my signature, I use them myself, great feel and trajectory...TMs best fairway woods ever made...

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I've owned a couple of V-Steels in 3 & 4. Also have TM 07 TP 3 & 5 woods and R9 3 wood. Always loved the 07 TP, really like the R9, never got along with the V-Steel as well as the other 2. Sold em.

TM 2020 SIM, Aldila Rogue Silver 60 r
TM 2020 SIM 3w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM 2021 SIM2 5w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM M4 5-PW, TT XP95 S300 
TM EF 47* 52* & 56*, KBS  610, XFT 60*, KBS Hi Rev
TM CB Spider Mallet 

Yes, I firgured that but thought I would throw my 2 cents in. Clearly, I am missing something as there are multple discussions/posts on the V steel and how goods it is. I am going to give it another shot and bring it out on my next round

[quote name='blink3665' timestamp='1403841507' post='9587885']

[/quote]

There is 15 pages of vsteel love on one thread (could be more now). I have a t/s, 15*, and 18*. I dont normally carry a 3 wood. I loved the 5 wood. It was super easy to elevate. I had an Aldila RIP 80 in it and it had a piercing high trajectory every time... hm... with this post it makes me want to put it back in the bag instead of the BC+ 4w....
[/quote]

Driver- Taylor Made SIM, Project X Hzrdus HC 6.0

3 wood- Mizuno STZ, Fujikura Motore X f3
Hybrid- Taylor Made SIM 2, Mitsubshi Tensei AV Blue 80
Irons- Mizuno JPX 921 SEL, KBS $ Taper

Wedges- Titleist SM8- 50, 54 & 58 
Putter- Bettinardi Innovai 6.0

[quote name='Smithj36' timestamp='1403895341' post='9591621']
Yes, I firgured that but thought I would throw my 2 cents in. Clearly, I am missing something as there are multple discussions/posts on the V steel and how goods it is. I am going to give it another shot and bring it out on my next round

[quote name='blink3665' timestamp='1403841507' post='9587885']

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

In my opinion the greatness of the V-Steel is in the head and not the stock shaft offerings.

Driver: Adams 9088

Fairways: TM V-Steel

Hybrids: Nickent 3DX

Irons: Maltby TE Forged

Wedges: Acer XB Satin

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1