2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Cleveland HiBore XL Tour

Distance Driven Technology DISTANCE DRIVEN GEOMETRY

Moves weight lower and deeper in the clubhead. This optimized CG location aligns the Center of Gravity Projection (CGP) with the C.O.R. Hot Spot in the center of the face, resulting in optimal launch conditions for greater overall distance.

Full Face Performance

FULL FACE PERFORMANCE

Alignment of Sweet Spot and C.O.R. Hot Spot produce optimal launch conditions over a larger area of the face, allowing for efficient energy transfer that maximizes ball-speed across the entire face.

High Moment of Inertia

HIGH MOMENT OF INERTIA

High MOI and deeper CG provide increased stability on off-center hits, leading to greater distance and a tighter shot dispersion over the entire face.

The HiBORE XL Tour clubhead is slightly smaller (440cc) than the standard HiBORE XL (460cc). The XL Tour has a 3 degree open face angle, 1 degree flatter lie angle than the standard XL and neutral internal weighting to work the ball more easily.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Already gave a reveiw on the Hi-Bore thread. Just reposting in correct spot.

Hi-Bore XL Tour 8.5* Reveiw

My previous driver was a Taylor Made R5 Dual TP 8.5* Neutral Bias set on a YS-7 TSX (Tour X Stiff) at 45.5â€, I had this driver for 4 years and it was originally set in a Taylor Made R580 8.5 head which I had replaced 3 times because of cracked faces. The last time I sent it in to TM for repair it came back with the upgraded Dual head which was cool. Then I, put it in play only to find problems leading me to believe that shaft was breaking down and the mounting was wrong. My accuracy was nowhere to be found and the overall performance was lacking. So I had it “Flo’ed†to find the Kick and frequency which came out to be 275 (280 new) which was odd and the head mount was off forcing the club to move in a circular motion rather than UP/DOWN. Before it was sharp and accurate using the 400cc head of the 580 and I was happy.

Since that time, I have been getting very untrusting and erratic outcomes off the tee within the last few months after getting it back from TM. So, I visited my local Golf Galaxy as usual to refit the head and to talk with friends in the biz and try out some of the gear they have in stock. While I was waiting to have the shaft and head reworked and balanced, the store manager (Jocelyn) mentioned that the Tour Vans for TM, Callaway, Nike, and Cleveland would be having fitting/demo days on consecutive Saturdays starting May 30th. She knew of my struggles to find a good shaft head combo outside of the store and thought the TV’s would be my best option for success.

TM was first followed by Nike, Callaway, and then Cleveland. A trend started to work itself into the fitting sessions the further I went along in my search for a new shaft and driver. This was positive reinforcement that I was not the owner of a disastrous swing and cleared me of being at fault. TM, Nike, and Callaway all mentioned the same shaft for me to use but, the issue was with in every session was spin and that dictated which head I should use. Nike was out of the running almost immediately, Taylor Made wanted me to do too much manipulation to the shaft and head in order to bring my spin down, Callaway was perfect in every facet but the spin was still to high. I was about to go the FT-5 Tour N route when Jocelyn contacted me by phone and told me she scheduled a fitting session with Cleveland the next Saturday to try out the New Hi-Bore XL head. That Saturday came and I worked with Cleveland for about 15 minutes, right away , the rep threw a Hi-Bore XL Tour 8.5* head at me in a Diamana 83 X Blueboard, after about 5 cuts on 2 other shafts (VS Proto, V2), Launch was ideal, flight was piercing, spin was WAAAYYYY low (2300 to 2550), the accuracy was so close I actually started to laugh at how tight I was keeping my shot pattern, distance was unfairly long and forgiveness and feel made me believe I was centering everything that got in the way of the head. I could care less how the head looked, if it performed this well it was in my mind the finest looking thing since Jessica Simpson! I have had the new driver in play 2 weeks total on the Diamana Whiteboard 83 X and those rounds played have been the most positive and mentally confident rounds off the tee that I can ever recall. The best thing I could ever have done for myself was to demo with all the OEM's to find what was right for me. This is the route I will follow each and every time I plan on fitting myself for clubs in the future! I wish all the other major O E M's the best but for me Cleveland has the best performing head in the Biz hands down!!

The Boom Bapp

Aaron Morris

Callaway XR Pro 9* Mitsubishi Fubuki zt 70x tipped .5"
Callaway XR Pro 14* Mitsubishi Fubuki z-fw 85x
Mizuno MP- 33 3-pw KBS-Tour x stepped x 2
Nike VR Forged 52*,56*,60*
Mizuno Bettinardi C-03 Blade @ 33"
Titleist Prov1x

• 2 weeks later...
Already gave a reveiw on the Hi-Bore thread. Just reposting in correct spot.

Hi-Bore XL Tour 8.5* Reveiw

The best thing I could ever have done for myself was to demo with all the OEM's to find what was right for me. This is the route I will follow each and every time I plan on fitting myself for clubs in the future! I wish all the other major O E M's the best but for me Cleveland has the best performing head in the Biz hands down!!

The Boom Bapp

Aaron Morris

I 2nd this remark. I'll be in contact with my cleveland rep to order me one.

Hi there Boom Bapp. I enjoyed your review. I am interested in why you went for the whiteboard over the blueboard? Do you see any significant difference. Do you get more roll with the Whiteboard (if you can tell). What about Launch angle?

I would be very interested in your thoughts as I am strongly contemplating gettig a driver like this with one of these shafts.

thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my story isn't as technical, but I picked up a HiBore XL Tour 9.5 this season. The sole reason I ever considered it was the 3* open face angle. I fight a pretty nasty hook/draw, so I need all the help I can get. I took out a stock stiff 9.5 tour (all the rep had available in LH), and immediately liked it. The 9 holes that I took it out I only used it three times, and each drive was a monster. Down the pipe, nice little draw. I was sold, but I knew I'd need a better shaft because it was a tad on the high side.

I tried using an MFS 40+ X shaft I got on eBay. That worked a little better, but I found that my dispersion became notably worse. So, after a few weeks of fighting that shaft, I got my hands on a Diamana Blueboard 73x, and that is the winner! On the many times I have hit on the launch monitor, I have always struggled to keep my spin rates low. I'm consistently in the 4000+ range, even with my old 8.5* G2 with a Grafalloy Blue X in it. This time around, with the Blueboard installed, I was putting up numbers I didn't think I was capable of. Nice launch angle (averaged about 15ish degrees), and a spin rate of around 2700!!! I know that maybe the spin rate could go down even a tad bit more, but for now, I'm really happy!!

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS w/Tensei Orange // Callaway Epic Flash 3W w/GD Tour AD IZ-7 // Adams Idea Pro a12 w/UST VTS //

Callaway X Forged 2018 5-PW w/PX Catalyst 100 // Callaway JAWS MD5 50* 54* 58* & Full Toe 64* w/PX Catalyst 80 // Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there Boom Bapp. I enjoyed your review. I am interested in why you went for the whiteboard over the blueboard? Do you see any significant difference. Do you get more roll with the Whiteboard (if you can tell). What about Launch angle?

I would be very interested in your thoughts as I am strongly contemplating gettig a driver like this with one of these shafts.

thanks!

I selected the Whiteboard because I received less spin and better distance in air and on the ground due to a much stiffer tip, I load the shaft a ton at the top of my backswing and the Blueboard was kicking me right and had higher spin. That is the sole reason. I could have played either one but the White is a much better fit for my attributes!

Hope this helps.

Titleist Prov1x

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
:shout: Recently purchased a Hibore Xl Tour 9.5 with an Aldila VS Proto 70 in it. This thing is a cannon. Even off center hits want to go straight ,but when you catch it in the sweet spot the ball seems to go forever. I also love the unique sound it makes. This club will be in the bag for a long time. Definitely worth trying.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
:) Recently purchased a Hibore Xl Tour 9.5 with an Aldila VS Proto 70 in it. This thing is a cannon. Even off center hits want to go straight ,but when you catch it in the sweet spot the ball seems to go forever. I also love the unique sound it makes. This club will be in the bag for a long time. Definitely worth trying.

I just got the same club, the thing rocks

Last June I played some golf in Montana with a buddy of mine and was hitting a superquad TP and thought that was about the best I could hit a driver until my buddy introduced me to the Hibore XL Tour. I hit his against the superquad TP and the Hibore bombed it way past and was super easy to hit. After that trip I bought one and tinkered with shafts, went through the UST V2, VS-Proto, GD Pershing and then was eyeing a Matrix Ozik for the high launch low spin but bought a GD Purple Ice 75-S off ebay for $20 to hit until I saved up for the Matrix Ozik. Well long story short, the numbers I put up with the GD Purple Ice were very similar to the Matrix Ozik and I haven't hit a driver better. I work at a local golf store on Sunday's for playing money and was able to compare the new Hibore Tour XLS to the Tour XL. The new one goes way to high and spins a lot more than the old one. I am definitely sticking with my XL Tour and am considering buying a second one as a back-up and to start playing with lower launch shafts again for those windy days in the neighborhood of Las Vegas.

• 1 month later...

Had been playing the Titleist 907 D1 for about 2-3 weeks. I really liked this driver as it helps fight a hook. I was hitting a bunch of fairways with it, but seemed to lose quite a bit of distance.

I went to Golf Galaxy and tried the Cobra LV4, Cobra Speed X, Callaway FT-5 & Cleveland XL Tour. I liked the Callaway FT-5, but seemed to draw it more. I know the tour version says it is 1* open but it looked closed to me. I didn't like the LV4 at all. The speed X was nice, but didn't give me as good of launch numbers.

In the end, the Cleveland Hibore XL Tour was the hands down winner. I was hitting it very solid and my misses were very playable. I ended up purchasing the 10.5 with the stock Fuji Red Stiff and really like it.

I hit the driver today on the range and was absolutely amazed at the accuracy & distance I was getting. I had never been able to hit a driver that far at my driving range. Solid hits produced slight draws and dead straight shots. My misses were slight push cuts. I definately am happy with my purchase. I was a little concerned with the shaft playability, but am very pleased with its performance.

Based off of the Golf Galaxy launch monitor the Cleveland XL Tour gave me the following numbers: 108 Club head speed, 158 Ball Speed, 3300 spin rate, 13* Launch, and 1.51 smash factor. I was consistently hitting the drives around 300 in the simulator. I was skeptical of these numbers on the simulator, but found that the ball just jumped off of the club face on the range. I was hitting the ball with a high launch, boring trajectory that carried a long way. Needless to say I am very satisfied with my purchase.

Ping 410 LST 9* X

Taylormade super fast 2.0 15* S

Ping 400 19* S

Ping i210 S 4-W

Ping Stealth 2.0  52,56,60

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a Hibore XL tour 9.5* with a Purple Ice 85X and I was thinking of putting a Diamana in it. I have a fast tempo and SS around 113mph. What are the difference in the white, blue and red? What would be the right fit?

Driver- Cobra LTDx LS 9* Tensei 65S

3W- Cobra LDTx LS 14.5 Tensei 75S

2I- Taylormade 17* 790 UDi

4-W- Mizuno MP-66 KBS Tour 120S

50* 54* 58* Cleveland RTX4

Putter- Scotty Futura 5W

• 3 weeks later...

So I have gone through 4 drivers just this year, started with the Nike SQ Sumo 9.5*, t** 905R 8.5*, t** D1 8.5*, t** D2 8.5* and just couldn't get comfortable with any of them. So yesterday i went to the PGA Tour Stop in St. Augustine and picked up a HiBore XL Tour 9.5* and went out today and played my first round with it. Wow is all I have to say. This thing really does hit bombs, I averaged about 285 yds on my drives today but had 3 that were over 300 yds one which was 314 yds. Yea the head takes time to get used to and the sound does too but man if I keep hitting it like I did today I don't care how loud this thing is, only thing I need to do now is reshaft it. And for only being $199, this is a driver everyone should give a shot.

• 2 months later...

I just put a 9.5 XL Tour in the bag and after a round with it not overly impressed. My 905S seems much more solid than does the Cleveland. This seems more like a hitters club than a swingers club. My hope is it gets better as I play more.

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

Just wanted to put my two cents in on the Cleveland Hi Bor XL Tour. I purchased this driver with 8.5* loft and the red factory x shaft. The first time I took it out on the course I hit it straight but not very long. I recently reshafted it with the UST Proforce 65 Classic X Flex and left the total club length at 45.5 inches. What a difference, I just got done playing 5 holes with it and man is it looooooooooooong and straight. It was the farthest I have hit the ball and the feel is awesome.

MY STICKS

DRIVER: Cleveland HI Bor XL Tour 8.5 degrees

Irons: Cleveland TA1 Blades (3-9) Ping i3 blade 2 iron

Wedges: Cleveland Form Forged (52*,56*,60*)

Putter: Ping Anser Copper

• 4 weeks later...

I think that most of the reviewers hit the nail on the head already. Ultra low spin, great sound and feel. Vijay and other pros like the XL over the XLS and I do too. Really no reason to pay the extra $$$$$ for the XLS. I've got one with a Pype and one with a Grafolloy Blue. Blue is longer but Pype is straighter, overall-5 stars!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Loved it while I had it. :ok:

Adams 9016d head did the XL Tour in and it would have cost me too much in length and overall performance to keep the Cleveleland in the bag!

You were good to me my friend but the your time has come.

Hey BBgolfer, enjoy the XL Tour 8.5*, it was a trusty and reliable friend, I am sure you will enjoy it as well.

Titleist Prov1x

• 4 weeks later...

I was unhappy with this club. I have 10.5 with Fujikura Fit-On red. Distance was alright, but the sound and feel were horrible. The open face is not evident at address, but was a problem for me. I had to concentrate on keeping the ball from slide off to the right. Forgiveness was nothing to brag about.

Overall not a horrible club, just not the straightest, and not the nicest. Hit this thing on the screws and it will go with the best of them, just doesn't have the WOW factor.

• 2 months later...

Bought the hibore xl tour 9.5* with a VS proto 60 on it. I have a tendency to hook the ball and this club changed it to a straight loong shot. Sometimes it fades a little bit. I think it's the 3 degree open club face. It is an awesome club however, ball never seem to ever land. Some people are having problem with the sound, I don't think it's that much of a big fuss for me since we are playing in an open field anyway. However, doesn't matter how it sounds like, as long as it works, it works.

• 2 months later...

Well I picked a 9.5 XL Tour with stock stiff shaft(red) as a temporary backup because my FT-9 Tour Imix head got a dent on the face. It really was just on a whim, I like the way it looked and since it was only 79.00(and I had a 20.00 gift card) I figured I could get by with it until Cally sent me a replacement. Well this club is a perfect fit for me.....Im hitting it longer and straighter than any driver I have owned. I dont know if its the smaller head,or if the stock shaft just seems to suit me but I have found a real gem.

I remember when these came out and went to a in store Cleveland Tour Van visit....it felt good but the numbers were not anything special, I wish I would have taken one out to the course I bet I would have bought one at full retail back then.

Ping 410 Lst 9 w/ Black Rdx smoke 6.0

Cally Sub Zero 15 with Fuji Xlr8 Pro 73 TS
Cally Big Bertha Alpa 816 5wd 18 Aldila Rogue 70 R
Cally Epic Tour issue 4 Hybrid w/KBS Proto 65s
Cally X-Tour (1st gen) w XP/95 R-300 5-pw
Cally Pm19 54/58 w/KBS Hi Rev 115
Taylor Spider Tour black with white T

• 1 month later...

I know I'm somewhat late to the party on this one but I wanted to add my 2 cents as well. I tried the 10.5 with Gold shaft (hit about 40 balls with it) and I'm not entirely positive about making the switch from the original Hi Bore to the Hibore XL. It was actually shorter than the original Hi Bore. I'm not putting up LM numbers because my swing isn't consistent enough to hit them on the sweet spot every time but I say this after 90 minutes at the range and checking the actual ball flight myself.

One caveat: my original Hi Bore has an after market shaft called SK Fiber Lite Revolution I. A lower launching shaft that brought down my spin and launch.

First, my ball flight is weird. Hard to explain but my current ball flight is on top. but, with the XL Tour 10.5 Gold shaft, it looks like second one: (not drawn to scale: XL's overall flight is lower)

ballflights.jpg

The air time is shorter on the new driver, has a more of a gentle ballooning going on (although it doesn't fall out of the sky in a vertical fashion like Big Bertha drivers used to for me) and takes a big bounce when it hits the ground. Overall, it has a longer roll (and bounce) after it lands but the overall distance came up always shorter by 5 to 10 yards.

Second, the shaft is not as smooth as my current shaft. It doesn't load uniformly on down swing and it kicks it up at the end and has a "crackling" or "harsh" feel to it when it meets the golf ball. I tried a Fuji Zcom shaft a long time ago but this isn't the same feeling. I know I'm going to get critical remarks from other members for bashing a Fuji shaft over my cheap SK shaft but that's how I feel.

Dispersion: This is somewhat better with the XL Tour. My biggest reason for changing was the original's left bias. It went left no matter what. With the Tour it either goes straight or produces a slight fade, which is OK with me.

Not sure what to do. I can reshaft this with my existing SK shaft or get some other head. I was a high spinner to begin with and can probably try other low spin heads like Hyper X, Bobby Jones Players Series.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on my ball flight.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...