Las Vegas Courses

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only travelled to Vegas once, but played rounds at TPC Las Vegas, Paiute Wolf and Rio Secco. All three were great, Rio Secco had fantastic views of the city. But if I were going back and could only play one, I'd go back to Paiute. It's a good 30-40 minutes from the strip, but the conditions were fantastic. If I recall, I did a GolfNow deal for around $60 but that was in May. I don't know what October rates would be. TPC LV was $110, Rio $75ish.

Have a great time!

913D3 9.5*
913F 15*
915F 18*
913H 24*
712 AP2 5-PW
Vokey SM6 52*
Vokey SM4 56* 60*
Scotty Cameron Futura (2004)

If you do a search here you will find many threads on this. Here is the cliff notes-

Money not a concern
Shadow Creek and Casacata

Next level
What was listed by geoangus above. Plus Bears Best and the Wynn course. Couple private clubs as well if you have connections. You will see those in the search.

Stay away from Walters golf courses. Massively over priced for conditions and to comparable courses in the same price range.

I run into the September issue out there often since we head out there most years around then. If Wolf Creek is open, go. It's a ride but a really cool place. Rio is usually open then I think and I like it a lot. Shadow Creek and Casacata are worth it at least one time. Bali Hai is convenient and very nice but also pretty steep. The three Paiute courses are always a good bet. TPC is nice as well.

Bears Best and Arroyo Golf club at Red Rock...are two courses design by the best but no clue how much during October because I played when it was 110 during the summer.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

was there in 2010 & played Royal Links, TPC Summerlin, Paiute (Snow Mountain), Southern Highlands and Wolf Creek (Mesquite).

Royal Links was okay, but it is apparently a replica course of famous UK & Scotland holes. TPC Summerlin was dull. Southern Highlands was challenging and in great shape. Paiute was fun and not expensive.

But the only one I would really like to play again is Wolf Creek (about a 90 minute drive from Vegas). But I hear it has conditioning issues recently.

[quote name='Go_Time' timestamp='1404248139' post='9618311']
Play Rio Secco, Shadow Creek and Dragon Ridge.
[/quote]

This.

Followed by Wolf Creek or Bears Best for in Vegas. Bali Hai is the worst course in the area.

If you're willing to drive, Coyote Springs, Conestoga and Wolf Creek are your next best options.

A bit further than that and Sand Hollow and Entrada are worth it.

Vegas and Mesquite both overseed at that time. Coyote Springs used to do it earlier and was very playable the end of September. Courses that don't overseed, that I know of, Mountain Falls (Pahrumph), Sand Hollow and most of St. George. I've played the Oasis and Wolf Creek after overseeding and they both sucked. Wolf Creek was cart path only and at 110°, quickly lost all of its fun.

We quit going to Vegas in September, just go to St. George instead, maybe drive down to Mesquite for a little gambling.

Shadow Creek, Cascata and the Wynn are nice but really expensive ($300 - $500 per round.) if you are willing to drop that kind of dough for 18 holes, play Shadow Creek , but you'll need to stay at an MGM affiliated hotel to play there..

If that level of green fee is too rich, then I'd play the three Paiute courses (located 25-30 minutes from the strip) or the two Primm Courses (located 45 minutes from the strip)

Of the other Vegas courses mentioned, I like Dragon Ridge and Bear's Best the best. Royal Links is about as similar to Scotland as the Venetian Hotel is to Italy. In other words, its nothing like the real deal. Rio Seco and TPC are okay but not my favorites I'd play Paiute or Primm before playing Rio Seco or TPC. Boulder Creek and Rhodes Ranch are a couple of good lower priced options

Some of the best choices that have already mentioned are further away from Vegas:

Coyote Springs is about an hour North.

Wolf Creek and Conestoga are in mesquite which is a little more than and hour's drive. Someone mentioned the conditioning issues at Wolf Creek. Those have been fixed. They mis-used a chemical last winter that killed the greens. They re-did the greens in February and they should be fine now.

Sand Hollow and Coral Canyon are about a half hour further (don't forget that you lose an hour when you cross the border.)

Mountain Falls in Pahrump is about an hour away.

Here's a link to photo tours to 18 coourses in the area: https://www.flickr.c...57631988064259/

Have fun.

8178754474_f423158195_c.jpg

LV Paiute Snow Mountain #10 from clubhouse rev

12603522673_2a7631fd0d_c.jpg

Paiute Sun Mtn #17 par 3 b139 r

8178731101_962a35910e_c.jpg

Las Vegas Paiute Wolf #8 par 3 don't miss right rev

8178566662_f0b9b6a99c_c.jpg

Primm Desert 1 (3rd hole)

8178591792_ea04f68481_c.jpg

Primm -Lakes 11 (2nd hole)

8180027718_a5dd6e0117_c.jpg

Wolf Creek - #17 from #2 tee

8458605746_7c6e4f26a3_c.jpg

Sand Hollow #12 b - from tee zoomed r

8460379610_964234083c_c.jpg

Conestoga #12 view back toward tee r

8180060393_da87900f69_c.jpg

Coral Canyon - 5

8178775059_9b517aec4c_c.jpg

The Chase at Coyote Springs #2 par 5 from tee rev

8178463225_84df950b7a_c.jpg

Dragon Ridge

12625514965_3b0fc088d8_c.jpgMountain Falls #9 view back 69 r[

Mountain Falls #9 view back 69 r

8460578192_2301561f9b_c.jpg

Rhodes Ranch #3 par 3 - 230 from tips r

[quote name='leftie' timestamp='1404882414' post='9664459']
Thanks for the pics. I will have done a far bit of driving before we get to Vegas , so will only want to venture to courses within 30 mins of the strip
[/quote]

Then Shadow Creek (they'll take you out in a limo), Dragon Ridge, Rio Secco, or Bear's Best....in that order, imo. ;)

I just got back from a week in Vegas (july 1-8) played Boulder Creek, Rio Secco, Bears Best, TPC las Vegas, Paiute Wolf and Paiute Sun. Bears Best bunkers were hard and rocky. TPC Las Vegas bunkers were also concrete hard and basically small gravel/large grit sand. At least Bears Best will be redoing their bunkers starting in August for the front nine and the back nine in January. TPC has no plans for doing anything. You can actually hurt yourself in the bunkers, they are that hard.

Rio Secco was in fantastic condition as were both Paiute courses. Boulder creek was decent but a bit gravelly in the bunkers. Bears best was ok except for the bunkers which are going to be redone later this year and next. TPC was fair condition but the bunkers were just beyond belief. On one hole, I actually thought the cart path was softer than the bunker when I walked from the cart path to the bunker. I really wouldn't recommend TPC to anyone right now.

If money is no object then of course, Shadow, Cascata and Wynn are the choice (or Southern Highlands - private). I played with a couple that had played Cascata the day previous to the one we played and they said Cascata was in fantastic condition.

Normally Bears Best is a bit too pricey. Rio charges less if you go to their website and get a tee time there versus calling for a time.

Paiute Wolf is back into excellent shape after the flood last year as is Paiute Sun.

Boulder Creek is about 30 minutes out as well and I haven't seen it mentioned a lot. Very reasonable prices considering everything.

Cascata is top of list for me. I was not a fan of Dragon Ridge. A friend of mine is a member at Paiute and I've never had a bad round there.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

Thanks for the pics. I will have done a far bit of driving before we get to Vegas , so will only want to venture to courses within 30 mins of the strip
[/quote]

Do you know where you are staying? A lot of times the hotel concierge will have arrangements with local courses and have deals, especially if you need rental clubs. Not sure what you want to spend, but a cheaper option that has a little history is Las Vegas National. Older style layout, but personally I like that; I don't enjoy the target golf of some of the desert courses. Neat clubhouse with some Rat Pat stuff, and about a 10 minute drive from the strip. I was out there last winter and got 18 holes w/ cart, range balls and rental clubs (nice Callaway set) for about $50 I think. Again, nowhere near a nice as some of the other options mentioned, but it is a close and affordable option near the Strip.

Ping G410+ 

Ping G25 4W

Ping G 3H

Ping I200

Ping Glide 3.0 54WS 58WS

Ping Bruzer

MacKenzie Walker

[quote name='Jolly Golfer' timestamp='1405188109' post='9687213']
[/quote]

Do you know where you are staying? A lot of times the hotel concierge will have arrangements with local courses and have deals, especially if you need rental clubs. Not sure what you want to spend, but a cheaper option that has a little history is Las Vegas National. Older style layout, but personally I like that; I don't enjoy the target golf of some of the desert courses. Neat clubhouse with some Rat Pat stuff, and about a 10 minute drive from the strip. I was out there last winter and got 18 holes w/ cart, range balls and rental clubs (nice Callaway set) for about $50 I think. Again, nowhere near a nice as some of the other options mentioned, but it is a close and affordable option near the Strip.
[/quote]

Most likely the Venetian, I'm going to bring my clubs with me

I've been going to Vegas annually for about 10 years (usually 2 rounds/trip) and here's my take on courses I've played.

Cascata: top notch but very expensive. Worth it if cost not an object.

Paiute: I go there almost every year. I love the secluded feel of the facility and all three courses are excellent. Very reasonably priced.

Bears Best: It was nice but I didn't consider it as memorable as some of the others.

Primm Valley: I liked the Lakes course (never played the Desert). Something a little different since it doesn't have the desert feel of many other courses in the area.

Revere Lexington: While not as highly rated as some of the others, I found it very playable and interesting. Some of the holes on the back nine were really unique. Within a housing development - a bit of a negative.

Wolf Creek. A long drive but definitely a unique experience. More wow factor than most any course you'll play anywhere. I wouldn't want to play it every day, but I'm glad I had the experience.

Eagle Crest: A pretty nice executive course if you have a limited amount of time for an extra round.

Note: I played on the two courses at Lake Las Vegas multiple times. Too bad it's closed - but I hear that at least Reflection Bay will be reopening

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/958463-vegas-baby-photos-added/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/958463-vegas-baby-photos-added/[/url]

Check this out from my 3 week trip earlier this year.

JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 Inspirer
50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/910665-bennysupremes-first-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I was in Vegas two weeks (during heat wave) and played every day that I was there. Paiute courses and Rio Secco were in great shape. Boulder Creek was fun and in pretty good shape although bunkers needed some work. Bears Best also was in good shape except for the bunkers (lots of gravel and hard pan). They are totally redoing the bunkers starting in late August/September - front nine this year and back nine next year. TPC las vegas seriously overpriced with concrete gravel and hardpan for bunkers. Had aerated some time before and still had major holes in fairway and some greens. Would not recommend them at all to anyone.

My recommendations are the three Paiute, Rio Secco and Boulder Creek of the ones that I played.

I heard fantastic things about Cascata while I was at Rio Secco by a couple that had played it the day before. Shadow Creek is always great but pricey and hard to get on.