Michigan Trip - All Reviews and Photos Added

Many months back my father and I decided to take one last trip before I leave for college. Coming from Wisconsin the only real golf destination is Kohler. Both my father and I have played the Kohler courses many times, and wanted to change things up a bit. Many reviews on here led us to Michigan, and once we started research, everything came together fast. I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything, so, I posted on here for other course recommendations and such. This is what we ended up with:

Itinerary

Day 1 (Sunday, July 6, 2014)

• Home to Arcadia Bluffs

Day 2 (Monday, July 7, 2014)

• Morning round at Arcadia Bluffs (9:30 a.m.)
  • Arcadia Bluffs to Forest Dunes
  • Eat at Forest Dunes

Day 3 (Tuesday, July 8, 2014)

• Morning round at Forest Dunes (9:34 a.m.)
  • Forest Dunes to Bay Harbor
  • Possible late nine on the Preserve at Bay Harbor
  • Eat dinner on the upper deck at the clubhouse of Bay Harbor or Boones Steakhouse

Day 4 (Wednesday, July 9, 2014)

• Morning round at Bay Harbor (9:30 a.m.) Links and Quarry nines.
  • Eat lunch on the upper deck at the clubhouse of Bay Harbor or Boones Steakhouse
  • Afternoon around Bay Harbor

Day 5 Thursday, July 10, 2014)

• Morning around Bay Harbor or Mackinaw Island

• Bay Harbor to Timberstone

Day 6 (Friday, July 11, 2014)

• Morning round at Timberstone (9:20 a.m.)
  • Timberstone to Home
  • Eat at Romagnoli’s

We are scheduled to leave this Sunday morning for Arcadia Bluffs, and couldn't be more excited. As some of you may know my father is a huge photographer, so, I should have plenty to share. I am bringing my laptop, and will try to update each night with photos and a brief summary. Thanks to everyone for the input!

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 6.2X

Fairway Wood: Titleist TSi3 15° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 8.2X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi3 20° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 8.8X

Irons: Titleist T150 4-PW | KBS Tour V 110s 

Wedge: Vokey SM9 Raw Finish 48.10F, 54.10S, & 60.10V | Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5.5

Putter: Scotty Cameron Limited Release Champions Choice Flowback 5.5 Button Back

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have fun on your trip. I've got a tee time this Thursday afternoon at Arcadia Bluffs and looking forward to it.

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

IMG_0744_zps7a7b436e.jpg

Arcadia Bluffs Entrance Sign

The start to our trip could not have been better - playing Arcadia Bluffs in Arcadia, Michigan. When you pull into the course, it is evident this won’t be an ordinary round. With little hotel options near the course, we decided to pony up and pay the stay and play rate. Although it won’t be the cheapest package, it was something I know I will never forget.

Without going into too much detail, let me say that the clubhouse was top of the line. The pro shop was well stocked with plenty of Arcadia Bluffs merchandise, and just outside was one of the nicest restaurants I have had the pleasure of eating on after a round. We opted for the “Lakeview Room” and got exactly that; the room contained one king bed, an optional pull out bed, a balcony, and a bathroom with top-of-the-line Kholer fixtures. Although it wasn’t cheap, staying on sight is just an experience that was worth the added cost – at least, to me.

Now, onto the golf:

IMG_0816_zpsa6d9e201.jpg

Arcadia Bluffs Golf Course - #2 Tee Shot

The second hole at Arcadia Bluffs is a very visually demanding par three. The green has two distinct levels, which effectively reduces the landing area in half. As with most holes at Arcadia, avoid the bunkers at all cost, they can be costly.

IMG_0823_zps584b267a.jpg

Arcadia Bluffs Golf Course - #3 Tee Shot

The second of the three par fives on this nine offers a great chance to get one back after the demanding second. If your tee shot finds the fairway, the green is potentially reachable in two. If you miss the fairway, or do not have the distance to hit the green in two, make sure you carry the cross bunkers on the right side of the fairway with your layup.

IMG_0842_zpsb712c2fc.jpg

Arcadia Bluffs Golf Course - #5 Tee Shot

IMG_0847_zps7c5578d0.jpg

Arcadia Bluffs Golf Course - #5 Second Shot

The third par five on the front nine is the most difficult. The hole is designed to play a three shotter, with a aiming guide to help with the layup. I learned the hard way not to go for this green in two. My advice, play directly at the aiming guide and play for par – it’s a tough one!

IMG_0854_zpsdf248b1a.jpg

Arcadia Bluffs Golf Course - #6 Tee

The second par three is further uphill than you think. Make sure to club up to carry the greenside bunker that guards the front. Also, pay attention to the pin placement; this green has some huge slopes that can leave easy three putts!

IMG_0865_zpse7359298.jpg

Arcadia Bluffs Golf Course - #8 Tee Shot

This par four plays dramatically up hill. The tee shot offers two lines; the conservative play is left of the pot bunker, while a drive down the right will considerably shorten the second shot. The green has a false front, so make sure to take an extra club on the approach!

IMG_0881_zps5070edc6.jpg

Arcadia Bluffs Golf Course - #11 Tee Shot

IMG_0885_zps79e1e6fe.jpg

Arcadia Bluffs Golf Course - #11 Fairway and Clubhouse

The signature hole at Arcadia Bluffs is definitely a stunner. This downhill par five cannot be hit in two shots. The tee shot should favor the left side in order to use the slope and gain some much needed distance off the tee. Should you find the fairway, the layup will need to find the bottle neck fairway in order to hit this green in regulation. Don’t be tricked by the views, this hole has some teeth!

IMG_0902_zps62228434.jpg

Arcadia Bluffs Golf Course - #14 Tee Shot

This is the narrowest fairway at Arcadia Bluffs and happens to be on one of the shortest holes. In order to hold this small green, the tee shot must find the fairway. At only 340 yards from the tips, a drive is not necessary off the tee. Pick your club wisely as finding this fairway is imperative to scoring well on this relatively easy par four.

IMG_0922_zps60b35a43.jpg

Arcadia Bluffs Golf Course - #17 Tee Shot

The final par three is definitely the most demanding. This green sits high on a hillside, leaving it open to the strong winds. Add at least a club for the uphill and pay trust your yardage! Par is a great score here.

IMG_0925_zps7d973d32.jpg

Arcadia Bluffs Golf Course - #18 Tee Shot

The final hole at Arcadia Bluffs is quiet the challenge. The tee shot must find the fairway in order to hold this elevated green. Take aim at the fairway right of the pot bunker to leave the best angle in. Make sure to take enough club for the elevated green. As with 17, par is a great score here.

IMG_0921_zps1cfe1015.jpg

Arcadia Bluffs Golf Course - #18 Fairway and Clubhouse

All in all, Arcadia was exactly what I expected - a world class golf course, with world class facilities. If you have the chance to play Arcadia Bluffs, I strongly recommend it. Even though it may not be the cheapest round of golf in Michigan, it may be the most memorable – at least for me.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Limited Release Champions Choice Flowback 5.5 Button Back

Arcadia Bluffs and Forest Dunes reviews and photos are up!

IMG_0930_zps181a44a0.jpg

Forest Dunes Entrance Sign

As with Arcadia Bluffs, we decided to stay on sight for Forest Dunes and could not have been happier. Upon arrival, we were greeted at the bag drop where our clubs were put on our own personal cart for the stay. For the stay, we were given unlimited use of the practice area, a cart, a double queen bed room, and breakfast. As with many other luxury resorts, Forest Dunes certainly wasn't cheap, however, it was well worth it.

IMG_0942_zpsc755375e.jpg

Forest Dunes Short Game Practice Facility

IMG_0943_zpsf70c0678.jpg

Forest Dunes Practice Facility

IMG_0944_zps80884f68.jpg

Forest Dunes Practice Putting Green

The practice area was free for unlimited use throughout our stay, so, we made sure to take advantage of it. The range features two sides with many different targets and distances to hit at. To the far side of the range is the short game area complete with a lone bunker and a fairway on each side. Conveniently located on the way to the first tee is the putting green. As far as practice goes, Forest Dunes certainly offers it all.

Now onto the course:

IMG_0962_zps4d935a02.jpg

Forest Dunes Golf Club - #1 Tee Shot

The first hole at Forest Dunes is easy enough. The fairway moves from left to right - the further right you take your tee shot, the shorter the approach. As with every hole at Forest Dunes, be sure to pay attention to your pin sheet. This green has a ridge running through the middle - be sure to be on the correct side!

IMG_0969_zps873c4485.jpg

Forest Dunes Golf Club - #2 Tee

The second hole is the number one handicap hole on the course. The tee shot must find the fairway in order to give yourself a chance at this long hole in two. Be aware of the run off right of the green; the right bunker appears to be greenside, however, it is an illusion. If you are going to miss this green, miss it right.

IMG_0973_zpsd402f609.jpg

Forest Dunes Golf Club - #3 Tee Shot

The first par three on the course may be the easiest of them all. Make sure to check your pin sheet, as the green has many tricks that can make a three-putt bogey come out of no where. This shouldn't be too hard of a par, if you play it smart.

IMG_0984_zps90767218.jpg

Forest Dunes Golf Club - #6 Tee Shot

This is the first split fairway at Forest Dunes. The ideal tee shot is right of the tree and over the bunkers. If you do not feel comfortable, or would like to take a more conservative line, there is plenty of room out to the left. This green is very long from front to back, so, make sure to pay attention to the hole location!

IMG_0997_zps883d03a7.jpg

Forest Dunes Golf Club - #8 Tee Shot

IMG_1001_zps151d9521.jpg

Forest Dunes Golf Club - #8 Approach Shot

This long par four can prove to be quiet the challenge. A good tee shot will favor the right side, cutting the distance on the second shot dramatically. The right fairway bunkers should be avoided at all costs! If you manage to find this fairway, the second shot is hit to a well guarded green. Par is a great score here!

IMG_1003_zpscf10f7fb.jpg

Forest Dunes Golf Club - #9 Tee Shot

The second par three on the front nine proves to be difficult. From the back tees, this hole plays 200 yards over water to a well guarded green. Trouble front and back of this green make club selection imperative. If you are going to miss, miss left.

IMG_1016_zps7965604e.jpg

Forest Dunes Golf Club - #11 Tee Shot

This medium length par three should be an easy par. The green is very wide across, however, the many slopes will cause putts to be difficult. If you are going to miss the green, make sure to be on the same side as the pin.

IMG_1031_zps2e424153.jpg

Forest Dunes Golf Club - #14 Tee Shot

IMG_1033_zpsac2f0b28.jpg

Forest Dunes Golf Club - #14 Approach Shot

One of the longest par fours on the golf course is very demanding. The tee shot must find the fairway, in order to hit the well guarded green in regulation. A good tee shot should favor the right, allowing the best angle into the narrow green. Be aware of the water running up the left side of the hole, it is not always visible with the tall brush.

IMG_1037_zps5a7b1d23.jpg

Forest Dunes Golf Club - #16 Tee Shot

The final par three (not counting the bonus hole) is the longest on the course. At over 230 yards, it will require an accurate long iron or fairway wood to find the green. As with most greens, this hole is guarded by the dunes and will gladly suck up an errant tee shot. Par is a great score here!

IMG_1040_zps2de70896.jpg

Forest Dunes Golf Club - #17 Tee Shot

IMG_1042_zps9be66a6c.jpg

Forest Dunes Golf Club - #17 Approach Shot

This short par four can easily be driven with the proper wind. As most driveable par fours, there is risk involved with going for it, however, the reward will certainly pay off. If you decide to lay up, make sure to leave a comfortable yardage. Even though it may be a short hole, it still has some teeth.

IMG_1052_zps72091827.jpg

Forest Dunes Golf Club - #18 Tee Shot

The final regulation hole at Forest Dunes can be quiet the monster. Even though it is named, "Eagle Chance," there can be high scores made. A good drive will tempt players to go for it. My advice - don't try it; the green is covered with trouble. As with many holes out here, par is a perfectly fine score.

IMG_1060_zps9a149040.jpg

Forest Dunes Golf Club - #19 Tee Shot

Forest Dunes is different from many courses in Michigan as it offers a "Bye hole" intended to help settle bets and ties. It is nothing more than a wedge to a well guarded green with a bunker in the middle. Certainly a fun way to conclude a great round at a great course.

All in all, Forest Dunes wasn't the cheapest course I have played, however, the variety and views made it very enjoyable. Although I liked Arcadia Bluffs better than Forest Dunes, I can certainly see where the debate lies. In the end, it all comes down to personal preference - either way, you can't loose!

[quote name='North Texas' timestamp='1404996030' post='9672167']
Man, those are some awesome pics!
[/quote]
Thanks! I'm by no means skilled with a camera. I just try to look good!
[quote name='MaxPower328' timestamp='1405004756' post='9673111']
Outstanding pictures. Those will be great to look back on. Enjoy college!
[/quote]

Thanks! More to come with Bay Harbor and Timberstone.

Thanks for posting the pics and commentary Wolfpack. I will be playing Arcadia 7/22 a.m. and your pics really got me amped up to play there. This has been a "bucket list" course for a long time. Hope you don't mind, I copy/pasted your posting in a email to my playing buds. The comments ranged from what a beautiful layout to what the hell are you getting us into. All are excited. The wives will be playing another course nearby and meeting back at the Bluffs for cocktails and whitefish pate on the veranda after our rounds. Not going to be lodging there as we have friends in the Beulah area we're staying with.

The best as you begin your college years. Someday, you will look back on these next several years and realize that they were some of the best years of your life. Enjoy the journey!

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I would like to say a big thank you to everyone who commented. After some recent issues on this site, I was reluctant to post any pictures on here. The way people have responded to this both on this forum and in personal messages has made me much more willing to continue to post, and even possibly start a WITB. I can tell you that while none of the courses we played will be my favorite in the world (a spot firmly locked by Whistling Straits) Arcadia, Forest Dunes, and Bay Harbor are certainly up there.

On another note, I am currently working on the Bay Harbor and Forest Dunes reviews. I want to make sure they are perfect before being posted.

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1405163753' post='9685869']
Thanks for posting the pics and commentary Wolfpack. I will be playing Arcadia 7/22 a.m. and your pics really got me amped up to play there. This has been a "bucket list" course for a long time. Hope you don't mind, I copy/pasted your posting in a email to my playing buds. The comments ranged from what a beautiful layout to what the hell are you getting us into. All are excited. The wives will be playing another course nearby and meeting back at the Bluffs for cocktails and whitefish pate on the veranda after our rounds. Not going to be lodging there as we have friends in the Beulah area we're staying with.

The best as you begin your college years. Someday, you will look back on these next several years and realize that they were some of the best years of your life. Enjoy the journey!
[/quote]

I certainly do not mind at all. That was the original purpose of this thread, to show people what is out there, and let them decide for themselves if they would like to play. Also, great call eating at Arcadia; you can expect higher than usual prices, however, they certainly are top of the line dinning.

Great thread, I love Northern MI. My family vacations in the Traverse City area most summers, and my Dad and I made the trip to Arcadia last summer. It was incredible- had a great steak dinner out on the porch after the round as well. I've also played Manitou Passage and Leelanau Club and Bahle Farm in the area. Great spot for golf.

Ping G410+ 

Ping G25 4W

Ping G 3H

Ping I200

Ping Glide 3.0 54WS 58WS

Ping Bruzer

MacKenzie Walker

R-120425_zps57a1848e.jpg

Bay Harbor Golf Club - Entrance Sign

The third stop on our trip was to Bay Harbor Golf Club in Petoskey, Michigan. We elected not to stay on sight for this course due to two reasons: the hotel was still a ten minute drive from the course, and the stay and play rate would have cost around $200 more! Regardless of the reasons, it was still evident that the Inn at Bay Harbor was a top of the line resort, just like the course it's self.

For those of you who may remember the show "Shell's Wonderful World of Golf" you may remember Phil Mickelson vs. Tom Lehman which took place at Bay Harbor on the Links and Quarry nines. If you don't remember the show, Bay Harbor is an upscale, semi-private course with 27 holes along Lake Michigan. Through much research both on and off golfwrx, it seems that the Links/Quarry rotation is the favorite, thus the one we elected to play.

Onto the golf:

R-120373_zpse538f3bd.jpg

Bay Harbor Golf Club - The Links #1 Fairway and Green Looking Back

The opening hole on the Links is a relatively easy start to a very beautiful nine holes of golf. The tee shot should favor the right side of the fairway in order to leave a shorter approach to this green. If you find the fairway off the tee, you should be left with a short iron or wedge to this well guarded green. After all is said and done, the first hole should be an easy par.

R-120341_zpsfbe00f3a.jpg

Bay Harbor Golf Club - The Links #3 Tee Shot

R-120348_zps97265edf.jpg

Bay Harbor Golf Club - The Links #3 Green Looking Back

The third hole is the start of many risk/reward opportunities. This tee shot can be played one of three ways: out to the left fairway which will require a long carry, or at the right bunkers with a fairway metal. Or, if you decide to play aggressive with the driver, a third option is to aim directly at left side of the fairway bunkers with a slight draw, which will allow the ball to roll down the hill and leave a much shorter approach. As long as your tee shot finds the short grass, a wedge is all that will be needed to find this green in regulation.

R-120349_zpsb55f8714.jpg

Bay Harbor Golf Club - The Links #4

One of the best holes on The Links. This down hill par three will play significantly shorter than the yardage suggests. Be aware of the pin placement on this green and hit away from it - you do not need to be a hero! Par is a great score here.

R-120364_zps483c4a5c.jpg

Bay Harbor Golf Club - The Links #7

The signature hole on The Links. This up hill par five will require two great shots to hit it in two. My advice, play this one as a three shotter. This green is slightly raised and will leave difficult up and downs from anywhere. Unless you have an absolutely perfect number, lay up over the left fairway bunker and try to make birdie the hard way - you'll thank me later!

R-120388_zpse04ec281.jpg

Bay Harbor Golf Club - The Quarry #3

The longest par five on this nine will require three great shots to find the green in regulation. The tee shot should favor the left in order to leave the best angle for the lay up shot. The approach shot is hit into a small green guarded by a hazard both short and right. Par is nothing to be ashamed of here!

R-120389_zpsef32b8f1.jpg

Bay Harbor Golf Club - The Quarry #4 Tee Shot

R-120390_zpsd9e02190.jpg

Bay Harbor Golf Club - The Quarry #4 Approach Shot

The fourth hole on The Quarry nine is a very demanding par four. The tee shot must find this wide fairway in order to hit this well protected green. Depending on the wind and pin placement, this approach shot could be anything from a 9 iron to a 6 iron requiring great control to find this green. If you make a par here, you definitely played a great hole.

R-120391_zps027aae69.jpg

Bay Harbor Golf Club - The Quarry #5 Tee Shot

R-120395_zpsdcc8a502.jpg

Bay Harbor Golf Club - The Quarry #5 Green

The second par five on this nine offers a great chance for birdie. The widest fairway on the course shouldn't be hard to find, and if hit long enough, should allow a long iron or hybrid into this green. The approach shot offers the first views of the quarry which gives this nine it's name. If you elect to lay up, pay attention to the pin location on this short, but wide, green.

R-120396_zps1370ad8e.jpg

Bay Harbor Golf Club - The Quarry #6

A classic risk/reward hole. This tee shot will leave you with plenty of option from a iron to driver. My advice would be to lay up in the fattest part of the fairway, about 200 yards, and leave yourself 100 yards into this protected green. If you decide to go for it, make sure to bail out to the left to avoid the hazard.

R-120404_zps8e494b3e.jpg

Bay Harbor Golf Club - The Quarry #7 Tee Shot

R-120405_zps8e2e6a7d.jpg

Bay Harbor Golf Club - The Quarry #7 Approach View

The seventh hole offers the first views of Lake Michigan on The Quarry nine. A good tee shot will be aimed over the well placed fairway bunker, leaving a short wedge into the green. The only protection this huge green has is the bunker short left. As long as your tee shot finds the fairway, and you take enough club, this hole should not be too much of a challenge. Enjoy the views!

R-120409_zps63e8e5b3.jpg

Bay Harbor Golf Club - The Quarry #8 Tee Shot

R-120411_zpsbc05e273.jpg

Bay Harbor Golf Club - The Quarry #8 Green

Arguably the best views of Lake Michigan on the course, the dramatic eighth is as difficult as they come. This down hill par three with a well guarded green makes club selection a premium. My advice - don't be afraid to club down, it is a much bigger drop than you think. Par here is something to write home about.

R-120421_zpsced2f423.jpg

Bay Harbor Golf Club - The Quarry #9 Green

The finishing hole on The Quarry makes hitting the fairway a must. The entire hole contains a hazard left, and like eight, is much further down hill than you think. In order to keep the ball in the fairway, take less club off the tee than the yardage book suggests. If you find the fairway, make sure to chose your club wisely, the green is well protected. If you manage to end The Quarry nine with two pars, you've done well.

All in all, Bay Harbor certainly isn't a Forest Dunes or Arcadia Bluffs. However, the beautiful clubhouse, locker room, and practice facilities, offer what little semi private courses can - a great course, with even better views of Lake Michigan. If you manage to be in the Petoskey area, make sure to play Bay Harbor. I promise, you won't regret it.

R-120447_zpsfc866bdb.jpg

Timber Stone Golf Course - Entrance Sign

In Wisconsin, Timber Stone is a must-play group destination. It seems almost every big golf group goes to Timber Stone for their yearly get away. Being that the course gets such rave reviews in our area, we knew we had to try it out for ourselves. Unfortunately, we left very disappointed. I do not want to sound like I am bashing the hotel or down-grading it, however, I do feel compelled to give my honest opinion. From the moment you step on the ground, it is evident you are not at Acadia Bluffs, Forest Dunes, or Bay Harbor. The practice facilities are below par, and the club house is not much better than local public courses in my area. As for the lodging, Pine Mountain certainly had its pros and cons.such as: a great stay and play deal, new pool and hot tub, and newly renovated restaurant lobby. The rooms were not spectacular, but certainly fine for one nights stay at the price we paid.

Onto the course:

R-120471_zps92a115f7.jpg

Timber Stone Golf Course - #6

The toughest par four on the front nine is very intimating from the tee. The ideal tee shot is hit at the fairway bunkers with a draw, leaving the best angle into this protected green. If you find the fairway, a mid iron must be struck well to find the green surface and leave a birdie opportunity. One of the more difficult holes at the course, but certainly manageable with two great shots.

R-120479_zps92e8ef9d.jpg

Timber Stone Golf Course - #8

One of the more demanding shots at Timber Stone, the par three eighth plays severely downhill to a well guarded green. This green is much larger than it appears from the tee so don't be afraid to club down. If you are going to miss, miss it short - the front bunker is a relatively easy up and down.

R-120488_zpsd91d0042.jpg

Timber Stone Golf Course - #9 Looking Back

The longest par four on the golf course plays dramatically down hill. The tee shot must find the fairway in order to find this green in two. Be aware of the hazard running short of the green, it will gladly pick up any balls played too aggressively to the left. My advice, this green is HUGE so play to the middle and try and two putt for par on one of the hardest holes at Timber Stone.

R-120496_zps1f88bc2b.jpg

Timber Stone Golf Course - #13

One of the shortest holes on the course, offers a great chance at birdie. A fairway wood or hybrid off this tee is the smart play, hitting to the fat of the fairway. If you really want to get aggressive, a well struck driver over the right bunker will significantly shorten the approach shot. As with number nine, this green is HUGE. Pay attention to the pin sheet!

R-120519_zps54f288d9.jpg

Timber Stone Golf Course - #16

Possibly the toughest hole on the back nine, this up hill par four requires two great shots to hit this green in regulation. A well placed tee shot will favor the left fairway bunkers, leaving the best angle to this perched green. If you are going to miss this green, do not miss it right0

.0! Some of the deepest bunkers on the course are over there. A par on sixteen is certainly nothing to be ashamed about.

R-120522_zpsdca5ab40.jpg

Timber Stone Golf Course - #17

The seventeenth is the signature hole at Timber Stone, and certainly one of the best holes I have had the pleasure of playing. This par three plays three clubs down hill, to a massive green, guarded by two bunkers. Don't let the views fools you, this is quiet the challenge at 230 yards from the back tees. My advice, depending on the wind, it will be between two and four clubs less than the yardage suggests. Step up and commit to this one, it is quiet a stunner.

R-120525_zpsf74ea096.jpg

Timber Stone Golf Course - #18 Tee Shot

R-120528_zps2fa1526a.jpg

Timber Stone Golf Course - #18 Green Looking Back

The longest hole at Timber Stone, and possibly in the U.P. requires three great shots to find the green. This virtually unreachable par five needs to be played from the fairway. The yardage guide will give distances to each stone tier, which can be seen in the last photo. My advice, make sure to take enough club to carry all the tiers, the fairway will give an extra boost to any shot that carries that far. All in all, the last hole at Timber Stone is certainly a beast of a par five.

Overall, I was quiet disappointed with Timber Stone. The course has incredible views, and a very nice lay out. However, the conditioning was very poor when we played it. Sure the course was green, however, the greens were like putting from the fringe at Forest Dunes, and the fairway almost resembled the first cut of rough at my home course. For the price we paid to play the course, I would expect the grass would be cut a lot closer than it was. With the being said, I know they had a tough winter, and am willing to give the course the benefit of the doubt. However, if I could do it over again, Timber Stone would not be a stop on my trip.

That concludes the write up of my six day trip through Michigan. I hope my reviews may have helped other people decide whether or not they want to play one of these courses. And, I also hope my review of Timber Stone didn't come off wrong; I was simply trying to explain my honest opinion of each course, and how they played. Thank you all for reading!

Nice job.....next time play Greywalls and I would bet you say it's better than Arcadia, Forest Dunes, and Bay Harbor. You had a hell of a trip and you did a great job reviewing the courses.

PURE MICHIGAN!

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

[quote name='BG5' timestamp='1405262109' post='9691087']
Nice job.....next time play Greywalls and I would bet you say it's better than Arcadia, Forest Dunes, and Bay Harbor. You had a hell of a trip and you did a great job reviewing the courses.

PURE MICHIGAN!
[/quote]

I have heard Greywalls is a great view that you have to see, however, not many people like the actual lay out of it. It seems they like the views, condition, variety, but not the layout - If that makes sense?

Edit: Also, I am a huge fan of links golf with my two favorite courses in the U.S. being Whistling Straits (1) and Arcadia Bluffs (2). However, I might buy into the fact that I will like Greywalls better than Forest Dunes and Bay Harbor.

If ya like links then skip Greywalls and play Sweetgrass. It was in near Forest Dunes condition. I'm hoping next year to go to Kohler and check out those courses...they look awesome

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

[quote name='BG5' timestamp='1405294585' post='9693551']
If ya like links then skip Greywalls and play Sweetgrass. It was in near Forest Dunes condition. I'm hoping next year to go to Kohler and check out those courses...they look awesome
[/quote]

My father actually played Sweetgrass last year while on a trip with my mother. Unfortunately, I had a golf tournament and did not get to go with. As for Kohler, I have played all 5 courses there (LPGA Championship course) and can answer almost everything about the resort.

[quote name='GoldenBearCub' timestamp='1405373419' post='9700001']
Did you play ALL the way back on the championship tees at Arcadia or the Blacks? How did you fare from where you played?
[/quote]

Every course was all the way back. Arcadia played exactly 7300, Forest Dunes just under 7200, Bay Harbor around 6950, and Timber Stone around 7050.

Edit: Just saw the second part. Scores as follows:
Arcadia Bluffs: 37-40 = 77
Forest Dunes: 40-39 = 79
Bay Harbor: 40-36 = 76
Timber Stone: 37-38 = 75

Great write up! Heading to SW Michigan in a few weeks and wish that I could find a way to travel further north. Not in the cards with lots of family around but might try to get out to Harbor Shores which is just up the road from where we are staying

Paradym Ai Smoke Max Diamana PD 50S

Paradym Ai Smoke Max Tensei Blue 1K 60S

Paradym Ai Smoke 24* Tensei Pro 1K 70S

Mizuno 223 Pro  Modus 105S

Callaway JAWS RAW Modus 115W
Mizuno M Craft VI

[quote name='J LO ' timestamp='1405375837' post='9700241']Great write up! Heading to SW Michigan in a few weeks and wish that I could find a way to travel further north. Not in the cards with lots of family around but might try to get out to Harbor Shores which is just up the road from where we are staying[/quote]
Gotta get over to Harbor Shores for sure, check out GolfNow for 55 dollar weekday rates. 125 is accurate for the place but steep.

44.5" X Flex Student Loans up my-
Mizzy MP650 13.5 DI8x
S3 Pro MB 3-GW 130 X
Tour Trusty RF Proto 55, 60
Ontic Signature Series II Blade
Sun Mountain Swift X

[quote name='NCWolfpack' timestamp='1405375067' post='9700165']
[quote name='GoldenBearCub' timestamp='1405373419' post='9700001']
Did you play ALL the way back on the championship tees at Arcadia or the Blacks? How did you fare from where you played?
[/quote]

Every course was all the way back. Arcadia played exactly 7300, Forest Dunes just under 7200, Bay Harbor around 6950, and Timber Stone around 7050.

Edit: Just saw the second part. Scores as follows:
Arcadia Bluffs: 37-40 = 77
Forest Dunes: 40-39 = 79
Bay Harbor: 40-36 = 76
Timber Stone: 37-38 = 75
[/quote]

Some solid scores there... Couldn't imagine playing AB from 7300 with the winds they can get

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

[quote name='GoldenBearCub' timestamp='1405376231' post='9700293']
[quote name='J LO ' timestamp='1405375837' post='9700241']Great write up! Heading to SW Michigan in a few weeks and wish that I could find a way to travel further north. Not in the cards with lots of family around but might try to get out to Harbor Shores which is just up the road from where we are staying[/quote]
Gotta get over to Harbor Shores for sure, check out GolfNow for 55 dollar weekday rates. 125 is accurate for the place but steep.
[/quote]

Appreciate the heads up. will definitely look it up, thanks!! What does pace of play tend to be?? Are early tee times readily available?

Paradym Ai Smoke Max Diamana PD 50S

Paradym Ai Smoke Max Tensei Blue 1K 60S

Paradym Ai Smoke 24* Tensei Pro 1K 70S

Mizuno 223 Pro  Modus 105S

Callaway JAWS RAW Modus 115W
Mizuno M Craft VI