Looking to play paa ko ridge

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='puttnforthe8' timestamp='1404847504' post='9661081']
HUH? Thoughts on what? If you want to play, gp play.
[/quote]

Lol seriously

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

I played PaaKo 3 weeks ago and it was in great shape, as usual. PaaKo is expensive for NM golf with the regular rate for Fri-Sun being $117. However, the twilight after 2:00 is a great deal at $62. Also, I hear you can purchase a round at Cost Co for ~$79. This time of year sunset is at ~8:15pm so you can easily tee off before 3:00 and finish 18. Even as tough as PaaKo can be, one can play pretty quickly as there usually aren't a lot of people backing things up. I love coming down the stretch in the early evening there as it is cool and quiet. I recently got $200+ in PaaKo bucks for my birthday plus I have one punch on the 3 rounds for the price of 2 card that they sometimes give out. So, I will likely play another 4-5 times this season. PaaKo is definitely a treat but is pretty tough. I usually tell people to throw away the score card and enjoy the course. We play the tips on the last 3 holes for fun and to enjoy the spectacular view. Feel free to PM me if you want more info on PaaKo, other central and northern NM courses, or general info about Santa Fe (my home) and ABQ.

Check into Twin Warriors, Sandia, and Santa Ana, UNM Championship, and Isleta. Also, Cochiti about 45 minutes north of ABQ is pretty fun and in good shape, I am playing in a tourney there on Saturday.

[quote name='NMgolfer89' timestamp='1404851851' post='9661597']
I live just south of Albuquerque. Is there a membership you recommend getting?
[/quote]

I buy the Champions Club membership at Sandia and it saves me $20 of the peak rate which is usually when I play (Fri-Sun). It goes for around $150 but you get a free round and a free twilight, then after ~10 rounds you get another free one. I buy a similar card at Twin/Santa Ana which gives a free twilight and regular round at both Santa Ana and Twin. I think I save ~$16 each time I play there. Cochiti has the best senior rate (if that applies) and a really good weekday rate. I prefer Twin and Sandia for ABQ and usually try to get to PaaKo for twilight rounds.

[quote name='NMgolfer89' timestamp='1404853827' post='9661777']
No senior rate. Isleta is the closest to me is their club worth it. It's similar to sandias I believe.
[/quote]

Probably similar to Twin and Sandia. I rarely play there, coming from Santa Fe I pass Cochiti, Twin/SA, Sandia, and UNM Championship, so why keep going? I did play there last fall for the first time in a long time and I really enjoyed it though. So, if I lived down south I would probably join their club and also UNM. UNM can get beat up but it is a great track and a lot of fun. The greens are big and undulating so they can play very tough. It is nice to hit driver on almost every hole. I used to play there a lot when I first started back in the mid 80s.

I don't think it is like Twin or Sandia. It is a parkland style course with very little desert. No carries, desert, etc. Not a whole lot of elevation changes except that it goes from the top(start) down to river level. I have always found it to be much 'wetter' than other courses so not a whole lot of roll out. The grasses are generally rather lush throughout the course.

I have always liked the course for the change of pace it offered from the desert golf. Plus with 3 nines it allows for additional variety.

[quote name='tesuquegolfer' timestamp='1404856745' post='9662077'][quote name='NMgolfer89' timestamp='1404853827' post='9661777']
No senior rate. Isleta is the closest to me is their club worth it. It's similar to sandias I believe.
[/quote]

Probably similar to Twin and Sandia. I rarely play there, coming from Santa Fe I pass Cochiti, Twin/SA, Sandia, and UNM Championship, so why keep going? I did play there last fall for the first time in a long time and I really enjoyed it though. So, if I lived down south I would probably join their club and also UNM. UNM can get beat up but it is a great track and a lot of fun. The greens are big and undulating so they can play very tough. It is nice to hit driver on almost every hole. I used to play there a lot when I first started back in the mid 80s.[/quote]
Do you have a favorite course in Santa Fe? I have a friend that lives up there but he usually comes down here to play but I've been wanting to go up there.

[quote name='puttnforthe8' timestamp='1404857457' post='9662133']I don't think it is like Twin or Sandia. It is a parkland style course with very little desert. No carries, desert, etc. Not a whole lot of elevation changes except that it goes from the top(start) down to river level. I have always found it to be much 'wetter' than other courses so not a whole lot of roll out. The grasses are generally rather lush throughout the course.

I have always liked the course for the change of pace it offered from the desert golf. Plus with 3 nines it allows for additional variety.[/quote]
I think he meant the memberships were similar. I've played isleta and sandia once before. I liked them both. I think getting the membership in isleta would be better just because the gas getting there won't kill me.

[quote name='NMgolfer89' timestamp='1404858233' post='9662203']
[quote name='puttnforthe8' timestamp='1404857457' post='9662133']I don't think it is like Twin or Sandia. It is a parkland style course with very little desert. No carries, desert, etc. Not a whole lot of elevation changes except that it goes from the top(start) down to river level. I have always found it to be much 'wetter' than other courses so not a whole lot of roll out. The grasses are generally rather lush throughout the course.

I have always liked the course for the change of pace it offered from the desert golf. Plus with 3 nines it allows for additional variety.[/quote]
I think he meant the memberships were similar. I've played isleta and sandia once before. I liked them both. I think getting the membership in isleta would be better just because the gas getting there won't kill me.
[/quote]

DOH!! :to_become_senile:

[quote name='NMgolfer89' timestamp='1404858142' post='9662193']
[quote name='tesuquegolfer' timestamp='1404856745' post='9662077'][quote name='NMgolfer89' timestamp='1404853827' post='9661777']
[/quote]

Probably similar to Twin and Sandia. I rarely play there, coming from Santa Fe I pass Cochiti, Twin/SA, Sandia, and UNM Championship, so why keep going? I did play there last fall for the first time in a long time and I really enjoyed it though. So, if I lived down south I would probably join their club and also UNM. UNM can get beat up but it is a great track and a lot of fun. The greens are big and undulating so they can play very tough. It is nice to hit driver on almost every hole. I used to play there a lot when I first started back in the mid 80s.[/quote]
Do you have a favorite course in Santa Fe? I have a friend that lives up there but he usually comes down here to play but I've been wanting to go up there.
[/quote]

Santa Fe has Las Campanas and Marty Sanchez, then Cochiti a bit South. I personally like all three courses. You should go up and play Black Mesa...not much farther.

[quote name='NMgolfer89' timestamp='1404858142' post='9662193']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I like the layout of Marty Sanchez but it is rarely in great shape. I wish they would put a little more money into it and it could be really nice. Black Mesa, which is about 30-40 minutes north of SF is a great track and really pretty unique. However, it is in fair condition now due to a lack of water. They recently cleaned house and got rid of the business manager and super. Hopefully the rain will bring it back soon. I don't care for a lot of greens and some pin placements are just unfair. It also takes some knowledge to play well there with a few blind shots and important aiming spots. Maybe you guys can play Cochiti and then head into SF for dinner at the Ranch House (great ribs w/ honey chili sauce) one of my favs, or some local fair at Tomasitas, or Marias which boasts tons of Tequilas and Margarita specialties. I'll try to get an update on Black Mesa as it could be worth the trip if it is in good condition.

[quote name='NMgolfer89' timestamp='1404858952' post='9662277']
I actually snuck away from work and played nine. (Working north of espanola) it was nice. I had heard a lot of good things about it and didn't think it lived up to the hype but I would go back I think.
[/quote]

Black or Marty? Condition update please.

[quote name='tesuquegolfer' timestamp='1404859344' post='9662315'][quote name='NMgolfer89' timestamp='1404858952' post='9662277']
I actually snuck away from work and played nine. (Working north of espanola) it was nice. I had heard a lot of good things about it and didn't think it lived up to the hype but I would go back I think.
[/quote]

Black or Marty? Condition update please.[/quote]
Black. I wasn't that impressed. Lots of weeds and brown patches. The range was a wreck. That was Friday btw

[quote name='NMgolfer89' timestamp='1404859599' post='9662349']
[quote name='tesuquegolfer' timestamp='1404859344' post='9662315'][quote name='NMgolfer89' timestamp='1404858952' post='9662277']
[/quote]

Black. I wasn't that impressed. Lots of weeds and brown patches. The range was a wreck. That was Friday btw
[/quote]

Yeah, I heard it was in pretty sad shape, I guess that is why they cleaned house. How did you like the layout? The views are pretty cool. I have friends that live just across the road. I could have gotten a lifetime membership for me and my 2 kids for $12,000. I hear they are now charging those members a nominal fee of like $12-$15 per round. I wonder how that is being accepted. However the members don't have much of a leg to stand on as the deal they struck with the members was a handshake and cash. I'll probably wait until the fall to play there.

[quote name='NMgolfer89' timestamp='1404859878' post='9662375']
Yea I think cochiti is next on my list. I like the fact that its isolated and I've heard it's in good condition.
[/quote]

It is pretty cool that it is out in the middle of nowhere. It is a Robert Trent Jones course and some people get all excited about that. Check their web site for deals. It is a good layout with some good holes and has some nice views. It took me a while to figure out how to play it though. I played there about 2 weeks ago and it was in very good condition and the greens were pretty fast at 11+. Watch you speed as you drive on the reservation (50 MPH), basically from I-25 to the course, as they patrol regularly and will cite you.

By the way, check PaaKo's web site and register for the email and get a free birthday round.

[quote name='tesuquegolfer' timestamp='1404859902' post='9662381'][quote name='NMgolfer89' timestamp='1404859599' post='9662349']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, I heard it was in pretty sad shape, I guess that is why they cleaned house. How did you like the layout? The views are pretty cool. I have friends that live just across the road. I could have gotten a lifetime membership for me and my 2 kids for $12,000. I hear they are now charging those members a nominal fee of like $12-$15 per round. I wonder how that is being accepted. However the members don't have much of a leg to stand on as the deal they struck with the members was a handshake and cash. I'll probably wait until the fall to play there.[/quote]
The layout was cool. The gps didn't work on the cart which I should I have taken back but after I played No. 1 I figured out the layout so it wasn't bad. I'll go back for sure but want to give them some time to get it in better shape.

[quote name='tesuquegolfer' timestamp='1404860190' post='9662413'][quote name='NMgolfer89' timestamp='1404859878' post='9662375']
Yea I think cochiti is next on my list. I like the fact that its isolated and I've heard it's in good condition.
[/quote]

It is pretty cool that it is out in the middle of nowhere. It is a Robert Trent Jones course and some people get all excited about that. Check their web site for deals. It is a good layout with some good holes and has some nice views. It took me a while to figure out how to play it though. I played there about 2 weeks ago and it was in very good condition and the greens were pretty fast at 11+. Watch you speed as you drive on the reservation (50 MPH), basically from I-25 to the course, as they patrol regularly and will cite you.

By the way, check PaaKo's web site and register for the email and get a free birthday round.[/quote]
Thanks for the advice. I already did the paa ko deal but my birthday isn't until march.

Played Paa-Ko in June. Great course in great condition. We were the second group out in the am and played in 3.5 hours. Played Black Mesa. Great layout, terrible condition, but they discounted the green fees so still worth playing IMO.

Nearer to Santa Fe, (15-20 minutes) we played Towa. They have scenic 27 holes, with mostly wide fairways and good (but slow) greens. Worth playing is staing in Santa Fe

Here's a link to photo tours: https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/collections/72157644665989269/

14394458543_ab5ee55735_c.jpg

Paa-Ko Ridge #12 from tee par 5 r

14373337964_f942e9b9b2_c.jpg

Paa-Ko Ridge #16 par 3 228 from tips zoomed r

14191484587_76a1eaa285_c.jpg

Black Mesa #16 from white tee- par 5 uphill r

14376979444_fb16bfdf99_c.jpgBlack Mesa #11 - par 3 102 from gold tee r

14355946276_2a8c8b997a_c.jpg

Towa - Valley #7 par 3 r

14215577757_13a0884774_c.jpgTowa - Pinion #6 view back from 7th tee r

This thread really makes me miss living in New Mexico.. :( Sad to hear about Black Mesa, it was always worth the drive up there from Santa Fe for me.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Srixon  ZX 5 MKii 4-7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

[quote name='NMgolfer89' timestamp='1404868554' post='9663223']
[quote name='Mike_C' timestamp='1404866894' post='9663007']This thread really makes me miss living in New Mexico.. :( Sad to hear about Black Mesa, it was always worth the drive up there from Santa Fe for me.[/quote]
Where did you move to?
[/quote]

Moved to North Carolina, then last year moved to East Texas. At least here in east Texas they sell New Mexico Green Chiles in the fall, couldn't find them in NC....

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Srixon  ZX 5 MKii 4-7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV