What's it like to hit a modern 1 iron? TaylorMade UDI Testing Thread

aturskyatursky Members Posts: 699 ✭✭
edited Jul 14, 2014 in Equipment #1
Here's the first post in what's sure to be a fun thread. Five GolfWRX Featured Writers and myself received the new TaylorMade UDI 1 iron built to our specs for this testing thread.

We're here to answer your questions the best we can, so fire away!

My new 1 iron

The UDI has a hollow body and a Speed Pocket that measures the same size as seen in the SpeedBlade irons from TaylorMade. This allows the face to flex efficiently and consistently and encourages a high launch. The weight of the club head was moved low and forward due to its engineering, also helping with forgiveness and high launch. The clubs also have a thicker topline than seen in the Tour Preferred MC irons, and the face has a lower profile as well.

Dare I say this club actually does what TaylorMade says it does? The answer is yes.

It's available in lofts of 16 degrees (1 iron), 18 degrees (2 iron) and 20 degrees (3 iron), with the lower lofts probably better left to golfers who are looking for a club to hit off the tee. While I didn't have the opportunity to test the 3 iron, my guess is that it's going to be a great 3-iron replacement for golfers who play TaylorMade's Tour Preferred CB, MC or MB irons, or similar-sized players irons from other manufacturers.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bjrapperbjrapper Members Posts: 452
    Very interesting. What was the length of the 1 iron?
  • OneTime16OneTime16 Members Posts: 629
    Any comparison to the 712u's?
    Cobra LTD 9.5*D Project X HZRDUS 6.5 75g
    Cobra Bio Cell + 14.5* Fuji Speeder 757x
    Cobra Bio Cell + 17.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 70x
    Adams CMB 4-G KBS C-Taper X
    Vokey TVD 54*K, SM 60*K
    Machine M10 Adjuster M/L Plumbers Neck / Kingston GSS KP2

ProV1X / Snell MTB
  • tkgolf5tkgolf5 Members Posts: 61
    Really nice write up. Would be curious to see the comparison with the nike driving iron when it is released.
  • aturskyatursky Members Posts: 699 ✭✭
    bjrapper wrote:

Very interesting. What was the length of the 1 iron?

+.5 inches from std. length. So, 40.25 inches.
  • aturskyatursky Members Posts: 699 ✭✭
    OneTime16 wrote:

I've never tested one. Hopefully one of the other testers can answer this!
  • Indy GolferIndy Golfer Members Posts: 272 ✭✭
    Nice writeup!

It's a great club, I think it will do well
    TM M2 8.5* Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6X+
    TM TP UDi #1 w/ Diamana
    TM TP UDi #3, MC 4-7, MB 8-P w/ Tour V S+
    TM TP EF Tour Issue 50* & 56*, 62*
    TM Spider Mallet w/ Carbon insert
    TM TPx
  • gprubesgprubes twit: @shaeggy Members Posts: 815 ✭✭
    Nice write-up. Can't wait to try one of these myself!!
    • Taylormade M3 440 9° - Fuji Motore Tour Spec VC 6.2 S
    • Ping G400 14.5° - Alta CB 75 S
    • Taylormade P790 4-PW - KBS C-Taper 120 S
    • Honma TW737 18° - Vizard Type-Z 70 S 
    • Vanilla Wedge 50°, 55°, & 60° - KBS 610 Wedge S
    • Odyssey O-Works Black 1 Wide S w/Tour SNSR Contour Pro 140cc
  • Ed SettleEd Settle #InsideTMAG ClubWRX Posts: 6,051 ClubWRX
    edited Jul 14, 2014 #9
    Could be the club that propels Justin Rose, Jason Day or Dustin Johnson to victory.

Read today that Dustin went with a graphite shaft in his.

Any thoughts on graphite vs steel shaft?

Seems this is treated more as an iron as opposed to a hybrid.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Twitter: @Ed_Settle

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Graphite Design VR-6X
    Fairway 3w: TaylorMade M5 Ti 3/15* GD GP-6X 
    Driving Iron: TM P-790 4/23* KBS Proto Hyb 85S
    Irons: New Level 4-PW Nippon Modus 105 S
    Wedges: New Level 50/52/Callaway Custom 60 WB Grind Modus 115 Wedge 
    Putter: Something new from Toulon Design
    Ball: Callaway ERC Soft/Callaway CSX Triple Track
    Bag: Vessel Black 14 way carry

My WITB
  • Jamboy72Jamboy72 Powered by the old school Members Posts: 5,959 ✭✭
    Here are some pics of my 1 iron -

atursky wrote:

OneTime16 wrote:

I've never tested one. Hopefully one of the other testers can answer this!

I found the UDI to be a bit more forgiving than the 712 - That was the most noticeable difference for me...launch was maybe a bit higher as well...
  • Zach HeusserZach Heusser Marshals Posts: 5,154 mod
    edited Jul 14, 2014 #12
    Andrew I'm sure you kill that UDI. I can't wait to see / try one!
    Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur University <br /><br />My WITB<br /><br /><br /><br />http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/<br />@Zheusser on twitter
  • DickieThonDickieThon Members Posts: 1,100 ✭✭
    I'm curious to know if there's any difference between this 1 iron and one of the other driving 2 irons bent strong, i.e. I have an MP Fli-Hi bent to 16*
  • KaneCKaneC Featured Writer Posts: 10
    Photos of my 1-Iron

photo-11-e1405383162318.jpg

photo-21-e1405383216706.jpg

photo-31-e1405383259207.jpg

photo-41-e1405383302832.jpg

photo-51-e1405383341253.jpg

Like Andrew, I received my 1-Iron on Friday and headed to the range about 20 minutes after the packaged arrived. I also got to the course over the weekend and put it in play. Built at +1/4" and 1up, I went with the KBS C-Taper Lite in S-flex (I have the same in my SLDRs).

Let me start by saying I'm no where near as long as Andrew... he's crazy long! Alright, I had to get that out of the way.

My gut reaction looking at this club is that it doesn't look like a traditional 1-iron. There is plenty of meat behind the face and at 16º with the way it sits behind the ball, you still get the feeling you will be able to launch shots in the air. Basically, I felt like I actually had a chance to get shots off the ground.

Even with the visual confidence, I was really curious how it would launch. It did not disappoint. Like Andrew, I had no problem getting the ball in the air. The launch was a little lower than my SLDR 4i, flew for days and rolled out nicely. Like I said, I don't have his distance, but I was flying shots on the range 235 with significant rollout from there. Same on the course. For me, this club sits between my 3-hybrid and fairway wood. What I like though, is that I didn't have a single shot get away from me like a fairway or even a hybrid could. I can overcook both those clubs, putting me in trouble, but all my solid hits with the 1-Iron had a nice straight to tiny draw shape to them that would keep me in even the narrowest fairways. Even though I launch my hybrid a little lower than some, this 1-Iron was even a bit lower. It got up easily, but not too far up and when it hit the ground it rolled for days.

Don't get me wrong, I can and did mishit this club. As expected, more mishits and less distance off the turf than off a tee. Toe hits were more penalizing for me and distance dropped to the 200 mark on the worst of them (extreme toe side) with more right to left movement as expected. Still in the fairway, but that distance is pretty short. That was the extreme. Subtle mishits were very forgiving, surprisingly so for a 1-iron.

I really liked the feel off the face, which reminded me more of the solid hit of my 4i than what I expected a 1-iron to feel like. Very powerful and springy off the center and plenty of feedback.

I went into the test with an open mind and left very impressed. This club is staying in the bag, but I do want to test the 2-iron and really compare the performance, weighing total distance against any additional forgiveness a couple more degrees might offer. I plan to use this primarily off the tee in place of a hybrid or fairway when I really need to keep the ball in play, so I'll stick with either the 1 or the 2-iron.
  • longbal30longbal30 Members Posts: 2,500 ✭✭
    edited Jul 14, 2014 #15
    Review UDI

Thank you Taylormade Golf and Golfwrx for including me in this testing. Love this site and love giving back to the community.

First and formost I want to tell you guys I am a fan of driving irons. I have the Callaway from a couple years ago and also a R9TP 2 iron that I shafted with a Fubuki Axe. That R9TP has served me very well over the last 2 years. I play a quite a few tournaments per season and it has been my fairway finder on some of the tighter venues. The Callaway always left me with a feeling of something lacking. Never really liked the ballflight, and really never liked the fact you can see the cavity bump out from address.

This leads us to my experience with the new Taylormade UDI 1 iron. I got mine from Taylormade shafted with a Steelfiber 110 stiff shaft, playing at a length of 39.5", standard lie and swingweighting at D1. I received it today and have not get to play with it yet. I will be taking it out tomorrow morning. I did however get to have a session in my garage utilizing my Forsight GC2. Before we get into that I would like to go over the appearance of the club. Taylormade has hit this one out of the park. Perfect size heel to toe, meaty top line for some confidence (I mean we are talking about a 16* 1 iron here), and limited offset. I love the set up, less offset then my R9TP,  but roughly the same size. You can not see the cavity bump at all from address. It really is a beautiful golf club.

Now down to the data. I warmed up with some shots going up through the bag. After 50 or so balls, I got to the UDI. I have tried the Steelfiber before with limited sucess, usually fight a bit of a hook with the shaft. I'm just not too keen on the feel of the shaft. Don't really like how it releases, kick point etc. the numbers show this as well. I hit my R9TP with a little better ballspeeds, usually around 145-146. With that said, I am still pretty impressed with 142 ball speed with this club set up, especially when the spin is sub 3000. I was hitting off a short tee, basically the same as I would for any iron off a tee. I found that heel shots lost around 4-5 miles per hour while toe shots lost about 2-3. Shots low on the face seemed to perform very well, as I only saw a 2-3 mph drop on ball speed there as well. I was actually pretty surprised with the launch angle, I was consistently getting numbers around 11-14*, very good for a 1 iron. With the carry numbers I was getting which were in the mid 230's, I would expect to hit this a total of 260ish with the spin numbers where they are. We will see tomorrow.

I will be reporting back tomorrow in this same post after my round. I will let you guys know how it plays in real world golf.
    TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
    Callaway XR Pro 15* Fairway
    Taylormade GAPR 2
    Honma 737V 4-pw
    Titleist SM6 52/58
    Machine M20 Converter Aluminum Bronze
    Scotty Newport Select
  • BIGDUB512BIGDUB512 The Woodlands, TXMembers Posts: 283 ✭✭
    How was the turf interaction when hitting a stinger shot? Were you able to keep it as low as you wanted when trying to hit that kind of shot?
    PXG Gen 2 0811X 9* - Small Batch HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 6.5TX
    Taylormade Original One Mini Driver 11.5*- Aldila Rogue 70X
    Callaway X2 Hot 18* - Proforce V2 Tour 104X
    Mizuno MP18 Fli-Hi 4 Iron- Project X 6.0
    Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 5-7 - Project X 6.0
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 8-P - Project X 6.0
    Vokey SM5 Raw 50* - Project X 6.0
    Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 56* - Project X 6.0
    Taylormade High Toe 60* - Project X 6.0
    Artisan Custom Made 0117
    BIGDUB512 wrote:

How was the turf interaction when hitting a stinger shot? Were you able to keep it as low as you wanted when trying to hit that kind of shot?

I had no problem keeping it low - I basically just took a 3/4 swing and played it a bit back in my stance and played it kind of like you'd play any other knockdown shot...great wind ball!
  • KaneCKaneC Featured Writer Posts: 10
    BIGDUB512 wrote:

I thought it cut through the turf nicely, especially for a 1-iron. To be honest though, I likely won't pull it from the bag off the ground as much as off the tee. I could flight shots low and high pretty easily, with my low stinger shot flying where I would expect it to.
  • PuppetmasterPuppetmaster Members Posts: 15,019 ✭✭
    KaneC wrote:

Photos of my 1-Iron

photo-51-e1405383341253.jpg

I went into the test with an open mind and left very impressed. This club is staying in the bag, but I do want to test the 2-iron and really compare the performance, weighing total distance against any additional forgiveness a couple more degrees might offer. I plan to use this primarily off the tee in place of a hybrid or fairway when I really need to keep the ball in play, so I'll stick with either the 1 or the 2-iron.

I've seen my fair share of hybrid/driving irons and that looks really nice in the address position, really nice. Also, I'm curious to see how the 18* would fare too, I'm not sure I have the swing for a 16* iron.
    WITB Link

Cobra King Ltd 8.5*, Speeder TS 6.2
    Callaway Steelhead 4+, Diamana Kai'li
    Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump
    Cobra Fly Z+, KBS Tour 
    Vokey 254.10, V-Grind 60*
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M
  • PuppetmasterPuppetmaster Members Posts: 15,019 ✭✭
    Stingers? My full swings with the 16* would be unintentional stingers. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
    WITB Link

Cobra King Ltd 8.5*, Speeder TS 6.2
    Callaway Steelhead 4+, Diamana Kai'li
    Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump
    Cobra Fly Z+, KBS Tour 
    Vokey 254.10, V-Grind 60*
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M
  • BIGDUB512BIGDUB512 The Woodlands, TXMembers Posts: 283 ✭✭
    haha im a moon ball hitter. thanks for the responses guys, will be heading to the tmag performance lab to check one of these out in the coming weeks. Pretty confident it will be going in the bag as I have been searching for hybrid replacement.
    PXG Gen 2 0811X 9* - Small Batch HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 6.5TX
    Taylormade Original One Mini Driver 11.5*- Aldila Rogue 70X
    Callaway X2 Hot 18* - Proforce V2 Tour 104X
    Mizuno MP18 Fli-Hi 4 Iron- Project X 6.0
    Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 5-7 - Project X 6.0
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 8-P - Project X 6.0
    Vokey SM5 Raw 50* - Project X 6.0
    Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 56* - Project X 6.0
    Taylormade High Toe 60* - Project X 6.0
    Artisan Custom Made 0117
  • GoldenhawkGoldenhawk Members Posts: 3,241 ✭✭
    From the write ups, the UDI is a lot more forgiving than it looks. So when do us GolfWRX mortals get our hands on one?
    Callawa Epci Flash, 9.0* Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Blueboard 63
    Callaway Epic Flash, 15* 3-wood, Project X Evenflow 65
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 18* 5-wood, Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Redboard 73
    Titleist AP3, 4 to AW, True Temper AMT Black S300
    Titleist Vokey Wedges, 50*, 56* and 60*, M Grind, True Temper Dynamic Gold S200
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Goldenhawk wrote:

From the write ups, the UDI is a lot more forgiving than it looks. So when do us GolfWRX mortals get our hands on one?

Absolutely! Really more forgiving than people probably think initially...I'd love to give the #3 UDI a run!
  • texcromtexcrom ClubWRX Posts: 3,513 ClubWRX
    I have the MC's, and have grown tired of people on here who talk about the feel of the cast 3-7 irons, when they haven't really played the clubs.

These irons, as a result of either the softer cast material or the slot (or combination of both) feel as good as any irons I have ever played.

As for the UDI, I may consider the 2 iron, but to paraphrase a statement used by NRA members about their weapons, you will have to pry my cold, dead fingers off my MC 3 iron and 4 iron. They might be my favorite clubs in the set!
    Any combination of 14 of the clubs below make up the bag at any given time:
    Titleist TS3 10.5 degree HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 70g Stiff 
    Titleist TS3 16.5 degree HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 70g Stiff
    Titleist 718 T-MB 3 - PW Project X PXi 6.0
    Titleist 718 AP2 4 - PW AMT Tour White S-300
    Titleist Vokey SM7 46-10F, 50-08F, 54-10S, 58-12D, 60-12D
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport.
    Titleist Pro V1X

Others:
    Titleist 905R 10.5 degree YS6+ Stiff, Taylormade R7 425 TP, Taylormade R7 TP Titanium 3 wood, Ping Anser 35 inch brass (old), Cleveland Designed By blade putter, Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser black

GO VOLS!
  • BAlberstadtBAlberstadt GolfWRX Staff Writer United StatesMarshals, Media Staffer Posts: 126 mod
    edited Jul 14, 2014 #25
    Hello, all. Your intrepid Featured Writer and occasional lightning rod here.

I know I bear the scarlet "L" of forum lurker, but be assured that this post marks my start of, well, actually posting (which I'm sure at least two or three of you may actually be excited about).

Anyway, I was lucky enough to get the not for UDI testing and received a 16-degree 1-iron in the mail Friday. The 1-degree upright beauty is equipped with a KBS TOUR C-Taper Lite shaft (stiff).

My colleagues have all detailed club performance in as good of detail as I could ever hope to, so I just want to share a few observations.
    • As a lover of the Mizuno Fli-Hi, this club was right up my alley. If you're a blade-and-woods-only purist, a "driving iron" is conceptually repugnant. Even if the concept turns your stomach, this club is worth test driving not because of its function out of the fairway, but because of the combination of distance and moderate forgiveness off the tee which my fellow writers have outlined. Simply, this UDI will replace your hybrid off the tee and maybe your 3-wood as well, depending on how you hit that club.
    • TMag hits the note of balancing the appearance of an iron at address without looking like a horrifying butter knife from the 1970s. As you can see from the photos the top is brushed, but there is the faintest site of the chrome-ish rear of the club, so its confidence-inspiring at address without having a game-improvement look.
    • The most coherent thing I can say about feel is that it's very similar to the RocketBladez with more vibration on mishits. Well struck shots feel like the combination of a pured hybrid and RocketBladez mid-iron (go figure).
    • Obviously, in my case, the shaft's color contributed to the overall iron-ness. Basically, I felt like I was standing over my 3-iron...the ball just flew 30 yards farther.
    • I think what players are looking for with this club is something that's more accurate than a hybrid or wood and flies a little lower with decent workability to use primarily off the tee. To this end, TaylorMade has hit a note.
    • As of now, I've only hit the club in a session at GolfTec, which I'm happy to share more about. However, I assume you'd all rather hear more from the better players. (I did not carry my 16-degree UDI 230 yards off the mat, more like 200 or 210).

I have more (inane) thoughts about the club, which I'm happy to share in the morning when my brain is hopefully a bit more functional.

Photos from my UDI unboxing below.
  • coghillcuttercoghillcutter Members Posts: 728 ✭✭
    Every time is see a pic of this thing I feel my pocket getting lighter. I'm going to dump my dhy for this thing. I've knocked TM in the past but this year I ended up with an SLDR and TP Wedges
    10* Ping G400 LST Tensei Pro Orange 60s
    14.5* Ping G400 Rouge Silver 70s
    18* Titleist 915h Rouge 85s
    Taylormade P790 4 iron
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-PW Nippon Pro Modus 120s
    Mizuno T7 50,55
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 59*
    Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini
  • TaylorMadeLuvTaylorMadeLuv Members Posts: 602 ✭✭
    OneTime16 wrote:

Easier to get in the air and also more forgiving.
    New Bag in the making...
  • TaylorMadeLuvTaylorMadeLuv Members Posts: 602 ✭✭
    DickieThon wrote:

I'm curious to know if there's any difference between this 1 iron and one of the other driving 2 irons bent strong, i.e. I have an MP Fli-Hi bent to 16*

I have both. The fli hi is big and by design flights much higher and does not get the ball speed or forgiveness of the UDI. The UDI is a much cleaner look and while not forged still gives you a great feel when hit anywhere on the face. It's really really good. Knocked my dHy out of the bag in 3 swings.
    New Bag in the making...
  • jonn443jonn443 Jonnystx Members Posts: 4,622 ✭✭
    This looks like it would be a good battle against the new Nike MM prototype driving iron, that one looks very promising as well. Any chance of a driving iron battle in the future?
    AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
    AB TP 3HL / 757
    XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
    DWS 24*/ VS Proto
    J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
    X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
    Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

DickieThon wrote:

I have both. The fli hi is big and by design flights much higher and does not get the ball speed or forgiveness of the UDI. The UDI is a much cleaner look and while not forged still gives you a great feel when hit anywhere on the face. It's really really good. Knocked my dHy out of the bag in 3 swings.

Other than aesthetics, etc. I think the biggest difference with the UDI is the blazing ball speeds...pound for pound, the UDI will probably be a bit longer
  • Arizonalefty59Arizonalefty59 Members Posts: 7,413 ✭✭
    I really don't like Taylormade, but this club has my attention.
    Titleist 915 D2 w/ Tour GP-6x
    Callaway Big Bertha V-Series w/ Attas 4U-7X
    Titleist 915H 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 85X
    Titleist 712 AP2's w/ X100's
    Titleist Vokey SM4's 52/56/60
    Odyssey Pro Type PT-82
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1112997/az-lefty-titleist-and-cameron-junkie-pic-heavy-11-05-update#latest