What are you working on? Handicap?

Even at the Pro level there are parts of ones game that can always be worked on. I thought it would be interesting to see what people are working on and what correlation it has, if any, to your handicap.

I'm currently playing to a 13.7 handicap and working on dropping my hands down in the slot and using the ground for leverage.

M1 460 Driver<br /><br /><br /><br /> M1 3 Wood<br /><br /><br /><br /> M1 Hybrid<br /><br /><br /><br /> RSi TP irons PW-4<br /><br /><br /><br /> Edel Wedges 50,55,60<br /><br /><br /><br /> MACHINE M2A Converter Putter<br /><br /><br /><br /> <a href="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1012489-grapehunters-witb/" title="WITB Link" target="_blank">WITB Link</a><br />

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ball position at setup. I've always played it back in my stance and if you saw me address the ball a few months ago you'd tell me I had waaaayyyy to much shaft lean. Trying to move the ball up and get my address more upright.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1

I went from 5.6 to 4.4 this year, mostly on improved driving accuracy and consistency. Putting and general short game play are still holding me back. Will be focusing on short game for the rest of the season.

Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS 

4w - Callaway Rogue ST Max

3H - Taylormade Stealth Plus 

4U - Hogan UiHi

5-PW - Hogan PTx Pro/Icon Combo

50F, 54D, 58D - Vokey SM9

Putter - Evnroll ER1 Blade

I don't think most golfers work on anything specific at all. When they go to the range, they just pound balls with the overall goal of hitting it better. The problem is that they are usually just ingraining more compensations to get to that goal. I never hit balls without working on something specific except as a warm up before rounds...When I was playing a lot, I constantly worked on grip, posture, stance and alignment. Now, I am working on those things but in a 9 to 3 swing. I want to get back to hitting the ball solid again...

Working on consistent ball contact and flight.

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

Roughly a month ago, even though I was playing well, I made a pretty major swing change. Went from an insanely strong grip where I actively had to hold off a release to a neutral grip where my best swings I release naturally.

Since then I've been working on different thoughts and feels to make sure I get that release. Since I used to play everything right to left, I've had to work on changing my set up and just my "mind's eye" over the ball to seeing the ball fly straight, or with a little cut.

I still visit the short game area and putting green each week, but I've been doing a little more work with full swing than I normally would mid-season.

Handicap: 5.9 as of latest revision.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

[quote name='TheCityGame' timestamp='1405531393' post='9713673']
Roughly a month ago, even though I was playing well, I made a pretty major swing change. Went from an insanely strong grip where I actively had to hold off a release to a neutral grip where my best swings I release naturally.

Since then I've been working on different thoughts and feels to make sure I get that release. Since I used to play everything right to left, I've had to work on changing my set up and just my "mind's eye" over the ball to seeing the ball fly straight, or with a little cut.

I still visit the short game area and putting green each week, but I've been doing a little more work with full swing than I normally would mid-season.

[/quote]

I made that exaxt change. I am still not playing as good as I did with than insanely strong grip. I figured out last week after finally looking at my swing on video that my grip was now insanely weak...Dang...

[quote name='themouth1' timestamp='1405531798' post='9713721']
[quote name='TheCityGame' timestamp='1405531393' post='9713673']

[/quote]

I made that exaxt change. I am still not playing as good as I did with than insanely strong grip. I figured out last week after finally looking at my swing on video that my grip was now insanely weak...Dang...
[/quote]My last couple rounds have been back to "good". I've spent a lot of time on the range, and really threw away 3 or 4 rounds committing to the change.

What really sealed the deal was playing with the club champion for a whole weekend. It became dreadfully obvious to me that even though I had a decent game, I really had to make a change if I wanted to get to the next level. Actually, I thought it would take a lot longer that it has. A lot of my old good habits I developed have really carried over.

I made the change after seeing an instructor. Went back to him after a couple weeks to make sure I was doing it right.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

8.4 and trending up. Working on takeaway with alingment rods. Once everything is on plane for me hitting the ball is automatic. I struggle getting too flat w/ mid irons to fairways.

TM M1 460 10.5° .::. MRC Tensei CK Blue 6S
Adams XTD Ti 15° .::. Matrix 7Q3 S
TM R15 Black 19° .::. Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1 S (tipped 2")
Bridgestone Airmuscle 2i 19° .::. PX HD2
Tourstage X Blade 709 CB 4i .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Tourstage X Blade 909 Ltd 5-PW .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Bridgestone J15 Black Ox 52°/58° .::. DG Onyx S400
Piretti 'Tour Only' Cortino II w/ Matrix U11-P01 Proto
Piretti 'Cortino LN' Long Neck Tour Ltd
Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1059465-bpark1210-witb-bridgestone-pic-heavy/page__pid__9832393#entry9832393"]WITB Link[/url]

You don't want to know my handicap - neither do I. I'm a senior and getting stiff so what I work on is rotating back to my "end stop" where my hips can't continue round any further. Since it feels like a non-negotiable end stop I'm hoping it will give me a repeatable swing. Seems to be working.

The other thing I'm working on is getting the static weight of my irons and the SW exactly right. I have a few sets of irons and by comparing them I've pretty much worked out my best shaft weight (Nippon 950GHs) and SW (around D1). Getting the feel of the club right in the swing is pretty darned important too. When the clubs are too heavy or too light it puts me right off. Same when the SW is out.

[quote name='themouth1' timestamp='1405528197' post='9713253']
I don't think most golfers work on anything specific at all. When they go to the range, they just pound balls with the overall goal of hitting it better. The problem is that they are usually just ingraining more compensations to get to that goal. I never hit balls without working on something specific except as a warm up before rounds...When I was playing a lot, I constantly worked on grip, posture, stance and alignment. Now, I am working on those things but in a 9 to 3 swing. I want to get back to hitting the ball solid again...
[/quote]

I think you are right. I didn't really have a purpose when I went to the driving range before I started taking lessons. Now I always practice with a purpose.

What's interesting for me is I used to best hundreds of balls a day at one point with zero purpose and never get better. Now 90-100 balls with a purpose is enough to definitely make some improvements.

M1 460 Driver<br /><br /><br /><br /> M1 3 Wood<br /><br /><br /><br /> M1 Hybrid<br /><br /><br /><br /> RSi TP irons PW-4<br /><br /><br /><br /> Edel Wedges 50,55,60<br /><br /><br /><br /> MACHINE M2A Converter Putter<br /><br /><br /><br /> <a href="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1012489-grapehunters-witb/" title="WITB Link" target="_blank">WITB Link</a><br />

I'm working on getting in a better position at the top of my backswing--more specifically, syncing up my hands and chest so that I don't lay off the club and early extend.

The change is particularly aimed at keeping my ball in play off the tee. My goal is to keep 100% of my drives in play (in play--not in the fairway). I truly believe I would go from a 6 (think I'm a 5.6 index now or something like that) to a 0-1 if I eliminated the "off the planet slice" from my bag.

Gotta stop the overswing and flying my right elbow. That and not putting like a fool. I'm a 13.4 so biggest thing for me is consistent ball striking and putting. Season goal is to consistently be in the mid to low-80s and to card my first sub-80. I need to be keeping the ball in play and minimizing my dispersion. I feel like a tighter swing will help me with that.

Around scratch, working on consistency. My scores are all over the map, some really low, some in the high 70's low 80's.

Specifically, tempo and not sliding my head forward, and staying more behind the ball. And shortgame, always shortgame

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Went from weak grip longer swing to stronger grip shorter swing about 2 months ago. Everything about my ball flight has changed, and I'm working on getting used to it. I can hit a nice, high draw that carries roughly 2 clubs longer with every club through my bag when compared to my old swing. Of course, that's when I get it right, so I'm trying to get it right more often. The goal is to hit more greens and this swing puts shorter clubs in my hands for approach shots, which theoretically should mean I'm able to hit more greens. I'm a 16 index and only hit around 4-5 greens a round. I'd like to get that up around 9-10.

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

I am a 12 and working on my swing tempo (all) and plane (driver). Making solid contact on putts, chips and pitches. And, finally, avoiding doing really dumb things on the course: two chips, three putts, crazy outs, etc.

Callaway GBB Epic 9*, Aldila Rogue
Ping i25 3w, G400 3hy
Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW
Vokey 50* SM7 F, 56* SM7 S, 61* SM5 Raw M
Newport 2 Select

12 here, really working on consistency and power with driver, for some reason with the longer club in my hands my swing goes to s$*&. Focusing on bracing my right leg ( I tend to get my weight outside my right foot) creating more coil and not overswinging.

Cobra F9
Cobra SZ 14.5*
Ping G400 19*
Mizuno MP 53 KBS Tour 4-PW
Ping Glide 2.0 50*
Cleveland RTX 3 54* 58*
Scotty Cameron Futura X5

+2

Working on proximity from 150-200 yards, putting from 6-12 feet, and proximity with wedges from 65-115 yards.

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

Covering the ball a bit more at impact and "dead hand" chipping from <100. 2.2 HC

TM Sim2 w/ Tensei CK White

TM Sim2 Titanium 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
TM Sim2 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
TM P790 4i w/ HZRDUS Smoke
TM P7MC 5 - 8 w/ Project X LZ

TM P7MB 9 - PW w/ Project X LZ
TM MG 50 and 55 w/ Project X LZ

TM MG Hi-Toe 60 w/ Project X LZ
TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

[quote name='Yepyukon' timestamp='1405573936' post='9717997']
Covering the ball a bit more at impact and "dead hand" chipping from <100. 2.2 HC
[/quote]

Can you expound on the dead hand chipping? I am doing the same thing right now trying to improve my impact position. I stumbled on it on the range one day. I didn't know there was any methodology behind it.

Latest revision: 5.0

[b]Working on: [/b]a few different things in the full swing, mainly elements to reduce early extension. Not over rotating in the backswing, and firing my right side properly in the downswing.

I'm devoting a bit more practice in the short game now. I figure some "low hanging fruit" to drop further is to find marginal areas of improvement in scrambling. Experimenting with different clubs from different lies and figuring out which ones are more consistent, and really practicing a lot out of bunkers. My rhythm in the long game seems to be correlated with lots of bunker practice.

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

[quote name='themouth1' timestamp='1405601989' post='9719453']
[/quote]

Can you expound on the dead hand chipping? I am doing the same thing right now trying to improve my impact position. I stumbled on it on the range one day. I didn't know there was any methodology behind it.
[/quote]

Here is an explaination from Stricker:
"At address, set your weight favoring your left side and lean the shaft slightly forward (that’s all the wrist hinge you’ll need). Then take the club back with your shoulders and forearms. All your hands do is hold onto the grip. The thought you want is to drag the clubhead through impact. Sometimes when amateurs have too much wrist set, their impulse is to release it on the way down and flick at the ball. With my style, the hands and wrist stay quiet."

Basically, my biggest problem was loading or really setting and releasing my wrist through short shots which would cause me to be off in distance and take a huge divot. Doing this method has really helped shallow out my swing, take very little to no divot, and has really helped narrow down my carry yardage from <100.

TM Sim2 w/ Tensei CK White

TM Sim2 Titanium 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
TM Sim2 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
TM P790 4i w/ HZRDUS Smoke
TM P7MC 5 - 8 w/ Project X LZ

TM P7MB 9 - PW w/ Project X LZ
TM MG 50 and 55 w/ Project X LZ

TM MG Hi-Toe 60 w/ Project X LZ
TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

[quote name='Yepyukon' timestamp='1405620567' post='9721771']
[quote name='themouth1' timestamp='1405601989' post='9719453']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Here is an explaination from Stricker:
"At address, set your weight favoring your left side and lean the shaft slightly forward (that’s all the wrist hinge you’ll need). Then take the club back with your shoulders and forearms. All your hands do is hold onto the grip. The thought you want is to drag the clubhead through impact. Sometimes when amateurs have too much wrist set, their impulse is to release it on the way down and flick at the ball. With my style, the hands and wrist stay quiet."

Basically, my biggest problem was loading or really setting and releasing my wrist through short shots which would cause me to be off in distance and take a huge divot. Doing this method has really helped shallow out my swing, take very little to no divot, and has really helped narrow down my carry yardage from <100.
[/quote]

Sounds like we are working on the same things. Since I have started playing again, my distance control with the short irons has been terrrible and I am taking huge divots. I've look at my swing on video and I am very flat. This drill is really helping me. It is odd...

11.1 handicap.
I'm working on getting my irons in a correct position at the top. Make a relaxed, tension free and wide arc away from the target.Starting with the takeaway I try to make sure the club is pointing straight up when it gets parallel to the ground instead of shut. Next taking a shallower route up to the top position. Before i was too steep which resulted in a bad out to in pull, albeit very consistently. Once i get to the top my club is at a 45 degree angle and i let the wrist c0ck take me to parallel with the ground. After recording from 4 different angles i determined that my position at the top is as ideal as i'm going to get. Club is parallel to the target line and pointing just to the left of the target.

After getting to that point I fire the left hip, do a little gravity drop and swing away. Hitting a little 5 yard fade with good consistency. Any tips on how i can straighten it out or even introduce a draw to that swing?

Currently a 4.5, but play the same course which has rough that is not penal, not many bunkers and next to no water and somehow has a rating of close to 72 for the tees I play and I play the back tees sometimes which are over 73. I need to make a "tougher" course my home course to practice and play at to challenge myself more with thicker rough, more water, greens that are tougher, etc. With all of that said I would not play like a 4.5 at other courses and probably more like a 6 of which I was recently.

Currently working on:

1. Loading into rear heel in backswing. Big issue for me. Hips "counter swivel" when they turn and the lead one gets way outside the lead ankle and I have no room to get my arms down. If LV is
reading this he knows my problems with my hip stability.
-Most of this work is done in the mirror and without a ball. I've been working on it off and on, but now dedicated to making the change.
2. Keeping club head outside the hands and square to the plane on the take away.
-Same at the first item
3. Getting clubface square on the downswing. I hit too many pushes and push slices. Path is too far in to out, but if I had a clubface that would match it I'd just hit bigger push draws vs pushes and push fades.
-Tricky here. I hit balls both full and punch with an alignment stick out in front of me trying to start it to the push side and curve back. This is much tougher than it sounds and at least keeps me
working on clubface control when hitting balls.
4. More arms and less hips. Literally have to make swings where I feel as un-athletic as I can and just feel the arms dominate the swing. When done correctly I hit it further than I have in a long time.
5. Chipping with 6-SW to get a better feel for distance control and what clubs to use in which situation.
6. Painting driver face and hitting 10 balls to see impact location. Trying to hit the center of the face with the driver as much as possible and stay away from low/heel. I never thought this would produce any results, but it is amazing looking at the face after each strike and your mind knowing how to fix it on the next swing. Hitting it off the heel? Line that bad boy up at the heel and try to hit it off the toe. If you have some hand eye coordination you'll adjust. Driver is all about center face contact.

What do I need to work on more? Well all of the above, but I need to implement pitching mechanics as well as working on pitching distance control.

In search of solid contact...

[quote name='nowitski41' timestamp='1405715843' post='9730669']
11.1 handicap.
I'm working on getting my irons in a correct position at the top. Make a relaxed, tension free and wide arc away from the target.Starting with the takeaway I try to make sure the club is pointing straight up when it gets parallel to the ground instead of shut. Next taking a shallower route up to the top position. Before i was too steep which resulted in a bad out to in pull, albeit very consistently. Once i get to the top my club is at a 45 degree angle and i let the wrist c0ck take me to parallel with the ground. After recording from 4 different angles i determined that my position at the top is as ideal as i'm going to get. Club is parallel to the target line and pointing just to the left of the target.

After getting to that point I fire the left hip, do a little gravity drop and swing away. Hitting a little 5 yard fade with good consistency. Any tips on how i can straighten it out or even introduce a draw to that swing?
[/quote]

That sounds like a lot of swing thoughts all at once. I went through a similar phase when I was reworking my swing. I know personally that there is no way I could implement all of those swing thoughts at the same time while learning to hit a draw.

I feel comfortable enough now that my back swing is nearly second nature. ie. I don't think about it much once I'm past 3pm on the take away. It's only now when I'm starting to think about shaping the ball more. That might be the best course of action for you as well. Of course we all learn at a different pace and I've been accused of riding the short bus from time to time lol.

Started a 17 this year, Currently at 12.4. Biggest things I am working on is still my putting. Trying to really get 30 putts or less a round. The second, is precise feel & control 75 yards and in.

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"