2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Kekoa's Journey has ended.

kekoa

For anyone that knows me or follows my WITB at all, you may notice that things don't really change much. Sure there may have been a new driver here or new shaft there, but the core bag IMO (irons and wedges) have remained fairly constant. Like many of you, I had never heard of Scratch Golf or the legendary Don White before becoming introduced and then addicted to this crazy site sometime in 2008. The company name almost made me chuckle. I mean who names a golf company Scratch?? Once i started seeing the quality of product and pure customization available from Scratch- I immediately knew I had to have a set. I can't remember the exact date, but I believe it was sometime in 2009 when I first reached out to Patrick at Scratch about a set of custom TD set ground by DW himself. There was no way in hell I was going to buy a set sight unseen for $2,500 so our conversations ended fairly quickly, but the thought of the irons always stuck in the back of my mind. Fast forward a couple months and Patrick calls saying he had a mint set for sale at a fraction of new cost that he wanted to move. I jumped on this set and really never looked back.

Although things are a bit foggy, I want to say my last set of non Scratch irons were the Nike VR blades. From a profile and feel standpoint, these irons are probably in my top 5 favorites of all time and would eventually become the foundation for all my first fully custom Scratch set (See 10/26/10). Prior to the VR's, and in no particular order, I've dabbled with Miura BB's, Cally X-forged, Titleist Z forged, Original Nike blades, Hogans, Mizuno MP-29, 33's, and most recently EPONS. All these sets really helped me discern what I wanted in a perfect set.

Fast forward to 10/26/10. After about 100 e-mails and multiple texts with Patrick, I sent off the specs for my second Scratch set, but first fully customized. Here is the email verbatim.

3 iron - 5 iron (AR-1) - slight, slight offset (much less offset than retail model). Thinned top line to flow with SB-1's.

6 iron - pw (sb-1) - very, very slight to no offset

Shaft- DG tours (s-400). Shaft label turned down.

Paintfill- Everything white except for initials on toe. I would like that done in kelly green.

Ferrule- Black with two white smaller rings and slightly larger kelly green ring in the middles of the white.

Grips- White iomic sticky (logo down). Standard size with two wraps of tape (I'll supply these)

Finish- SATIN CHROME

Grind- Sweeper/slider in longer irons progessively to Driver/slider in mid to short irons.

Stamping- Normal 'S' on toe side of all irons (including the AR-1's) with initials skm in lower case, 'dancing' letters on heel side in smallish, clean font like RM in pic attached. I want initials to look discreet and clean

Swingweight- D4 in long irons progressively heavier to D5-D6 in 9-pw

Head shape- Squared toes in the shorter irons that get progressively more round (but still on the squared side) as they move into the longer irons (to keep the long irons from looking so short toe to heel).

Other Details: Numbers on soles are to be towards toe and welded over and handstamped in new smaller number style (not italic). DW had stamp towards heel as normal.

L/L/L based on Nike VR blades.

length / loft / lie

3i 39 21 60

4i 38.5 24 60.5

5i 38 27 61

6i 37.5 31 62

7i 37 35 62.5

8i 36.5 39 63

9i 36 43 63.5

pw 35.75 47 64

A little less then 8 weeks later, these show up at the door and it was pretty much love at first sight.

I'm not sure what happened, but almost a year later on 10/6/11 and another 100 or so texts and e=mails I came up with this set and sent the order to Patrick.

3 & 4 irons (TD EZ-1) - No offset. Thin/Thin top line to flow with flat-backs.

5 iron - pw (sb-1 flat-back) - No offset. Thinned top-line (Refer to attached pic for flat-back shape I want). I would like the channels a little less deep though.

* I would like the COG to start lower in the low irons and move progressively up in the high irons.

* Slight fade biass if possible. smooth muscle transition from heel to toe.

Shaft- DG tours (s-400). Shaft label turned down.

Paintfill- TBD

Ferrule- TBD

Grips- No1 Grip- 50 series (I'll supply these)

Finish- SATIN CHROME

Grind- Sweeper/slider in longer irons progessively to Driver/slider in mid to short irons.

Stamping- Largest 'S' on the lowest toe side of all irons (including the EZ-1's) with initials skm, 'dancing' letters on heel side in smallest font available. I would like the letters very close & almost squished together if possible.

Swingweight- D4 in long irons progressively heavier to D5-D6 in 9-pw

Head shape- Squared toes throughout. Slightly sharpened edges.

Other Details: Numbers on soles are to be towards toe and welded over and handstamped in new smaller number style (not italic). DW had stamp towards heel as normal.

- Maybe want small Scratch 'S' symbol stamped mid-way up on the extreme toe of each iron if possible. TBD.

length

3i 39

4i 38.5

5i 38

6i 37.5

7i 37

8i 36.5

9i 36

pw 35.75

Lofts- 1* strong

Lie- Standard

Once again about 8 weeks later these show up. Aside from these being double muscles and conforming, I also asked that Don make some minor changes to the head shape and move the COG around a bit. Needless to say, they turned out perfect-Again. These have been my primary gamer set for a few years now.

Now

There was no way I could keep the annual order thing up, but since my last set in 2011, my mind was churning about what I wanted in my next set if there ever was one. I would be more than happy playing the DB's for a very very long time. There was one muscle design that always caught my eye, but I couldn't get myself to pull the trigger. Well, thanks again to Patrick it happened and on 6/9/14 my best and hopefully final order went in. Since Don is now grinding in TN with the main shop being in MI, progress pics are a bit hard to come by. Here is the latest shot Patrick sent me. I'm not sure what to think. I'll keep updating as I can.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kekoa buddy, I can not wait to see the final product
I just like looking at your pics, such top notch
When I saw those irons, I was thinking wow, those right there are players irons ... then I see the wear spots...confirmed !!!!

subscribed

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

Awesome post, scratch golf is great. I think their wedges are the best on the market, even better if you have the coin for hand grounds. We just had a MI Wrx outing and scratch was well represented in the bags.

You sticking with a combo set? Looking forward to more pics and congrats!

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

I absolutely love Scratch equipment. Had a couple of EZ long irons and they were probably the easiest long irons I have ever hit. Eventually I would love to have DW build me a set, but unless I strike it rich soon, it will have to wait. Lol. Those sticks look great.

Callaway Rogue SZ 10.5* W/ Matrix F7M2
Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 16.5* W/ Matrix F7M2 Proto

Adams Super LS 19* W/ Kuro Kage 80
Royal Collection Tour VS 5-PW W/ Aldila RIP Tour 115
Taylormade RAC Satin 50 + 54 W/ Aldila RIP Tour 115
MaxFli CrossBax 3.0 (#9 Style)
Bag - Honma Mini Staff
Ball - Taylormade RBZ Urethane

I've gamed the original JDM wedges and 1018 series since they were introduced. Now I have the 50, 53, 56 and 60, all sweeper/slider. Currently the 60 is in back-up for a Nike TS 60 but the 53 and 56 are trusted veterans now, especially the 56. From 70-85 yards, I have high confidence that I'll have a very makeable putt. It's also solid from the sand, but I tend to prefer the L wedge from most traps.

Like you I also worked with Patrick when I ordered my first set of Scratch irons, a combo of EZ and AR. Patrick was awesome to work with. I was treated like I was the most important customer they had. They too were outstanding for years. I ordered my first 1018 wedge, the 56, directly from Patrick when they were launched, and haven't looked back.

The sets you're showing here are incredible, and I know I'll never have the game to play them! :) Thanks for sharing.

Cobra Aerojet 10.5 +1.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li S
Cobra LTDx 5w PX Hzrdus green 5.5

Cobra King Utility 20.5 Elements Chrome S 20.5

Mizuno 243 5-P DG S200
Corey Paul 52, 56, 60 
Mizuno OMOI 3 black 35"
Emeritus set:  Mizuno MP20 HMB 5, MMC 6-8, MP 9-P KBS C-taper Lite R 

[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1406038629' post='9757709']
Awesome post, scratch golf is great. I think their wedges are the best on the market, even better if you have the coin for hand grounds. We just had a MI Wrx outing and scratch was well represented in the bags.

You sticking with a combo set? Looking forward to more pics and congrats!
[/quote]

Thanks for the comments guys.

I am sticking with a combo set. If you look at my 2010 set, I went with AR-1's and SB-1's. On the 2011 set I was trying to get more forgivness on the 3-4 irons so I went with no offset EZ-1's. Come to find out, I had a lot more consistency with the AR-1's in the long irons so I went this route again on my final set. Currently, the EZ-1's are sitting in a staff bag collecting dust.

You're still sporting a 20 handi and those are your sticks? I guess it's like buying shoes a little big, you can "grow" into them?

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1406056282' post='9760247']
You're still sporting a 20 handi and those are your sticks? I guess it's like buying shoes a little big, you can "grow" into them?
[/quote]
I don't think a 20 cap will put wear marks like that on their clubs.

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

Awesome thread! I really love the look of the 2011 SB-1 irons!!! Looking forward to seeing the new irons!

I have visited the Chattanooga facility just before the move up to Michigan was completed. I had the pleasure of meeting Don White and know I want a set of irons crafted by him. I am not sure the muscleback design but believe the grind of the 2011 set might be on the line of what I want. I'll play blades from 4-PW. I may have them grind a GW with the same grind as well. Toe not quite as square. Not sure about 3 iron but might do SBs or just go to a hybrid. I love the stampings on these and would probably mimick these, expect the dancing initials. :)

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Just curious who deleted my post and why?

Still wondering if Kekoa is a 20 handi or if he needs to update his profile?

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1406063870' post='9761055']

[/quote]

I was wondering the same thing. Those are pretty impressive wear spots on those irons for a 20 HC. :lol:

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

[quote name='dwboston' timestamp='1406064153' post='9761087']

[/quote]

I was wondering the same thing. Those are pretty impressive wear spots on those irons for a 20 HC. :lol:
[/quote]

I believe he ordered them with the wear spots. I did the same with my irons, but they're on the toe.

Nice pick up lil buddy...I know you been talking about these for a while. Can't wait to blade them when we play next!

[/quote]

Haha I've met kekoa in person to buy some gear and commented that he had some pretty impressive gear for a 20 handi. He plays off something like a 4 if I remember correctly

[quote name='horty1388' timestamp='1406067454' post='9761463']

[/quote]

Haha I've met kekoa in person to buy some gear and commented that he had some pretty impressive gear for a 20 handi. He plays off something like a 4 if I remember correctly
[/quote]

Plays off a 4?

Not if [i]he[/i] has anything to say about it. :tongue:

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Looking forward to seeing how these turn out...

Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x / MyStealth+ 9 Atmos Blue 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x
TI P770 2 | P770 3, P7MC 4-5, P7MB 6-9 / Miura 1957 4-9, $-Taper 125
TI MG3 46, 50, 54, $-Taper 125 | TI MG3 58 / HT 58, KBS Tour 120 SS
Mann Mini / Cameron CT, MC Smooth | TP5x | My WITB Thread

[quote name='kekoa' timestamp='1406070169' post='9761789']
[quote name='rebby' timestamp='1406069872' post='9761747']
Looking forward to seeing how these turn out...
[/quote]

Same here Reb. Just need to get around all the handicap police here. :busted_cop:
[/quote]

Don't worry about them, I'm a 22 (see what I just did there? LOL).

Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x / MyStealth+ 9 Atmos Blue 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x

[quote name='rbhan12' timestamp='1406070671' post='9761849']
Your picture looks like it has both the wingback at the bottom and the diamondback at the top. If so, that's awesome.
[/quote]

Close but def not wingbats. This set will combine a muscle and finish that hasnt been done before. I have a feeling the next pics i get to share will be the finished product.

[quote name='kekoa' timestamp='1406081605' post='9763527']
[quote name='rbhan12' timestamp='1406070671' post='9761849']
Your picture looks like it has both the wingback at the bottom and the diamondback at the top. If so, that's awesome.
[/quote]

Close but def not wingbats. This set will combine a muscle and finish that hasnt been done before. I have a feeling the next pics i get to share will be the finished product.
[/quote]

From the very little that we can see in your pic, it almost reminds me of a Hogan Channelback. Of course, I could have the CB on the brain though since I recently acquired a set.

• kekoa unlocked this topic