2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Seniors Only. How far do you hit the ball?

It has been bugging me a lot this year that my distances are decreasing. Trying things to get the distance back to what it was even a scant five years ago has had marginal results. Therefore, thought I'd start this thread to form some consensus on distance numbers from you "veteran young guys" here on the Wrk. Lets go with those 60 and older (- a couple of years if you want). D and 7i numbers. No young guns please, never attained your reported distances even in my prime.

I am 63, no health issues, flexibility is not bad considering my "advancing" age. R flex shafts.

Driver = 210 carry plus rollout.

7i = 140 yards.

One side to this is that my accuracy (i.e. Straightness) has been been better than ever. So I've got that going for me....which is nice. Should I just accept the fact its time to play "old man's" golf (175, 175, pitch and putt)?

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

55 yrs old I am not fat just under tall!

Driver 240 carry and 20 yds roll out ave around 260 when we get the occasional pure shot it goes out to 280 or so.
7 iron carry 163 flat out stung 172.

I never had this distance in the past. Current technology and ball construction has gone a long way for me. I played the other day with a couple of guys. One older gent pretty dam accurate, not very long but shot even on the front and had some issues on the back. He ended up with a 79 on the day.

I had two dbls on the round and ended up with a 75. The 3rd in our group could not hit any of his irons for distance. He was hitting his 6 iron around 145. He was amazed when I hit my 9 iron 150. I have to admit that I am very pleased with my current game and ability to hit the ball. Odd thing though, when I retired from the Army, my HCP was around a 3 or 4, 15 yrs later, same hcp. Who says technology cannot help you. :golfer:

You do not have to accept the role of old man golf, Enjoy the game and move to a set of tees that let you play and score to the best of your abilities. I play with a regular group on Saturdays and two of the guys moved it up to the next set of tees. They have been far more happier as they can hit irons to the green vs playing the member tees and hitting driver wood to every hole. It is what you make of it, don't let ego stand in the way of enjoying the game.

Callaway XR 9.5 degree
Callaway X Hot 15 degrees
NIKE VR 21 degree hybrid
Callaway Razr Tour Irons
50 degree Volkey
[url="Seemore%20Putter"]WITB Link[/url]
58 degree cleveland
52 degree Sixron

I'm 62, driver carry varies from 200-220. 7 iron carry is 140. I never try to hit the ball as far as I can. I like to stay in the short stuff.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

I have had a number of guys say when they hit 50 they lost distance. So far I cannot put any stock in that perception. I am sure it happens due to less flexibility perhaps time on the course to practice and play.

Callaway XR 9.5 degree
Callaway X Hot 15 degrees
NIKE VR 21 degree hybrid
Callaway Razr Tour Irons
50 degree Volkey
[url="Seemore%20Putter"]WITB Link[/url]
58 degree cleveland
52 degree Sixron

Thx for the responses so far. As to tees, always have played the whites. Golf is tough enough....without compounding the problem by adding additional distance. Just not ready to go to the senior tees yet. Yes....its ego.

More practice, more lessons, more golf, different equipment, more time and resources would have an impact. But, there is a limit to how much of all this I'm willing to invest. Thought that with retirement, I would have all this extra time to persue the game. Finding out that's not necessarily the case.

67 years old now, LD competitor for a lot of years which took a toll on my body, used to hit between 200-300 full drivers every other day on the range(if I could find one that would let me hit there). Can still hit a driver over 300 yards here in NJ & my 7 iron is about 170. This is WAY short of what I could do in my prime years, when I could drive par 4's & hit my 7 iron well over 200 yards. Hate getting old! I've been to 5 Remax World Championships, finished 2nd in the world once back in 2003.

• Like 1

[quote name='Ballgofarboy' timestamp='1406892474' post='9830977']
I have had a number of guys say when they hit 50 they lost distance. So far I cannot put any stock in that perception. I am sure it happens due to less flexibility perhaps time on the course to practice and play.
[/quote]

I won't chime in with any distances because I'm a little young yet to fit the criteria for the OP's question (51 in a few days), but I'm dreading the coming distance loss you're referencing. It hasn't happened yet, but I know it's just around the corner. I can imagine it's incredibly frustrating even though it happens to almost everybody and you know its coming.

Sorry to pop into your thread OP, without being able to offer an answer to your question.

Concur completely on hybrids. Those came in and the long irons were out 5+ years ago. Play 23* and 27* with the occasional 20*. Just couldn't get the ball elevated with 4 and 5i any longer. Always been a 7w fan, so that is my 175 yd. club. Considering adding a 31* H....but having a hard time wrapping my head around that.

Medical/physical issues aside, does going to graphite in irons have any significant impact in one's iron distances? Kind of gleaned a mix bag of information on that issue here on the wrx. Lighter shaft = faster swing speed = more distance. However, seems to be ripe for over swinging and loss of accuracy. Whole new set of problems. Maybe senior steel?

Driver: 210 yds total, crushed = 235 yds
7 iron: 135 yds

You can see my club set-up below.

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite

I turned 60 this spring. Full driver with roll out 250-270. 7 Iron = 160. I picked up about a club and a half distance this year with my irons just based on ball placement. I took a few lessons over the winter and was told my swing was good but I needed a lot of work on my ball placement. I always just settled over the ball were it felt comfortable and pulled the trigger.

I have a nice setup in the garage so I spent the winter figuring out ball placement. Being more precise exactly were I set up over each Iron. I started with the gap wedge and made notes exactly How it looked as I was standing over the ball. As it worked out going from the gap wedge moving it forward about a quarter of a ball for each iron was the key for me.

I couldn't wait to try it out when spring came. It worked very well. I was flying greens until I got the new distance under control. My gap wedge used to be 80 yards is now a 100 and my 9 iron is now a pitching wedge.

So instead of loosing distance I've gained it. I would have never believed it if I hadn't gone through it. When I first started the lessons and he kept coming back to ball placement I didn't really go along with the idea. Then I figured he might know what hes talking about and did some serious work on it and as it turned out he knew exactly what he was talking about.

He took 5 years off my age as far as golf is concerned.

Handicap 7.7

60 here. Driver with steel and persimmon 220-230 carry average. Vintage loft 7 iron I play at 145. Add 20 yards for modern driver and 10 yards for modern loft 7 iron. Flexibility workout routine has been the key for me. Completely abandoned weight workouts and went with resistance bands and daily stretching routine. Plus a bit of over/ under speed training, I feel like I am in better "golfing" shape at this stage of my life than ever before and that's with sciatica issues and coming off major surgery. It's a process, but you can keep your game on point. I played with a 70ish gentleman last week and marveled at his.

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1406890295' post='9830887']
It has been bugging me a lot this year that my distances are decreasing. Trying things to get the distance back to what it was even a scant five years ago has had marginal results.

I am 63, no health issues, flexibility is not bad considering my "advancing" age. R flex shafts.

Should I just accept the fact its time to play "old man's" golf (175, 175, pitch and putt)?
[/quote]

Don't give up. Our age and game sound somewhat similar although I am just a kid (62). We also both live in the cold and soggy mitten known as Michigan. We had an overly long layoff this winter and even after the season started, the conditions have not been particularly good. Your impression of a loss of distance has been somewhat affected by the cooler temperatures, softer fairways and healthier rough we have had in Michigan this year.

I play in series of tournaments run by our club without real estate. Everyone is 50+ in age. Our players vary in age from 50 to 90 and the handicap indexes range from 0.0 to 30.0 We are probably a bit light on the low single digit players but overall the group is probably a decent cross section of the "over 50" golf population. Our entire membership of 188 players has struggled a bit this year. Two years ago conditions were much better for hitting the big drive. Temperatures were in the 90's, the fairways were firm and the rough baked out.

Lastly, your distances are not bad. Contrary to what one might think reading WRX, there are not a lot of senior players out there who can out drive you by 20-50 yards based on my experience with our club.

At 63 I play a 7 iron on a 150 par 3, and carry my driver 240, plus roll. I couldn't say that last year, it was a 6 iron on par three and my driver was under 240, about 220 carry... but still had some nice long drives. I joined the Y last winter where my wife works, and got a personal trainer to help me with golf exercises. It really helped as my swing speed is up again. I did have one driver about 3 weeks ago that was 290, and I was thrilled :) I have had a problem hitting my drives left this year, but I demoed the new Ping G30 yesterday, and I was really hitting it long and straight, so I'm getting fitted for it tomorrow. But it's not just that club, I'm convinced that working out and concentrating on my golf physique really helped. Heck, there's a guy in our league that's 75 who can outdrive me, so don't give up, just determine you can do it! Also, and this is just for me, I've always played the Pro V1, but just recently switched to the Callaway Speed Regime 2, and got a bit more distance with that as well.

I just turned 72 am in reasonably good shape. I've never been "good", but used to break 80 frequently. I am starting to realize those days are gone (Although I somehow managed to score a 78 this year). The game varies, but my stats are similar to the OP. Driver 220 to 240 depending on roll out conditions but more recently only 210 consistently. I am finding I need to club up about 2 lengths these days. I estimate my 7I to be around 140. Hybrids have helped. I may experiment with hitting long iron off the tee as I can still manage to strike a 3I fairly well to about 190 and my 5I is pretty accurate, but a little short at 160. Current index is 19.9 (without the 78 round which I wrote off as an anamoly. (some say I should not have done so, but since I only keep index for my own purposes, it really does not matter).

"Non rinunciare mai quello
che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Driver: Titleist 913D

Fairway: Tour Edge XCG 7

Hybrids: Bobby Jones(Jesse Ortiz) Blackbird 3,4,5,6

Irons: 3-PW Titleist 710 MB (Rifle Project X 6.0 Flighted)

Wedges: Tour Edge 52, 56 deg, Cleveland RTX 50 deg 

Putter: Odyssey Custom Metal X 7

[quote name='bk52' timestamp='1406908857' post='9832865']
Your impression of a loss of distance has been somewhat affected by the cooler temperatures, softer fairways and healthier rough we have had in Michigan this year.
[/quote]

Hey bk, seen some of your postings over on ATMG. Lol at this portion of your post. I've been mentally telling myself this all season.....unconvincingly I might add. But may be truth.

[quote name='bk52' timestamp='1406908857' post='9832865']
Lastly, your distances are not bad. Contrary to what one might think reading WRX, there are not a lot of senior players out there who can out drive you by 20-50 yards based on my experience with our club.
[/quote]

Thx! I feel better now. Getting pumped to play in our mixed gathering this evening. If it doesn't rain.........again.

61. I drive with an original Ping Rapture 3 wood, 14 degrees. My average drive is 250 +/- 10 yards.

That's pretty long, buts it's the marriage of head and shaft. Aldila NVS in Regular, +1 inch, is magic for us slow swingers.

I only hit my 7 iron 150.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

62 Year. 230-240 with carry and roll. 7i=140-145. No health issues, walk most rounds, run 15-20mi /week.Lift weights, mostly in winter. Spin class, mostly winter.Have lost distance, but accuracy is better. Work hard on short game. Fitted with new shafts this year and shafts play at Reg + (between Reg and Stiff).

62 year old, driver is 230 - 240 with roll, 7 iron with roll is 155, index is 9.5.

It's been dry for two weeks so getting about another 10 -15 yards and it is a nice bonus. One club less last night during our match
play league. I went to 13.5 degree 3 wood solely for distance on the 2nd shot of par 5's, 18 and 20 degree hybrids and 5 - SW.

[i][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#000080][b]"People in a hurry, shouldn't play golf"[/b][/color][/size][/font][/i]

[color=#000080][size=2]Ping G400 9.5[/size]
[size=2]Ping G400 3, 5 Woods[/size]
[size=2]Ping G400 3, 4 Hybrids
Mizuno JPX 850 4 - PW, G, SW[/size]
[size=2]Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser 38"[/size][/color]
[color=#000080][size=2]Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black[/size]
[size=2]Bat Caddy X4r[/size][/color]

67, driver 235-242.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1406903926' post='9832167']
60 here. Driver with steel and persimmon 220-230 carry average. Vintage loft 7 iron I play at 145. Add 20 yards for modern driver and 10 yards for modern loft 7 iron. Flexibility workout routine has been the key for me. Completely abandoned weight workouts and went with resistance bands and daily stretching routine. Plus a bit of over/ under speed training, I feel like I am in better "golfing" shape at this stage of my life than ever before and that's with sciatica issues and coming off major surgery. It's a process, but you can keep your game on point. I played with a 70ish gentleman last week and marveled at his.
[/quote]Randy those are really good numbers for your combined factors especially because you are at sea level

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

57 years old Persimmon driver 220 carry 235 with roll Modern driver 240 carry 260 with roll roll rates due the fact I hit what most people call a "stinger" with the driver. Modern 7 iron 155 Macgregor VIP 7 iron 150. Like Randy these numbers are at sea level which makes a huge difference

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

At 61, I'm very happy to be able to hit a driver 200-230, 7I around 140. Technology plays no part. I play vintage and relatively modern with very little difference.

I play much better than I did in my 20's. With the horrible slice I had, my driver yardage was less than 200, rarely in play. Some of the time, I just hit a three iron off the tee. I'd break 90 not hitting woods.