Sawgrass Mariott Golf

Hi guys,

My wife and I will be at the SawGrass Marriott in Ponte Verda Fl at the end of August/2014. We would love to reserve a tee time for Aug. 31 but have no idea of a good course to play.

I did a preliminary search but don't know the area so I am not sure where to go.

I respect and value the opinions here, so if you can point me in the right direction of a decent course that we can play that's in the area, I would be very grateful.

We will drive down so we do have transportation at will.

If you have an idea on an approximate cost per player for 18 holes would be nice but I can find that out later as well.

I prefer not to drive to far from the resort (5 mile radius is pretty much the limit)

I don't want you to do my homework guys as I don't mind doing the research, I am just asking those who may have already been in the area to just get me started.

Thanks guys,

You all rock!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for responding, I just called about 4pmEDT and was transferred to the golf shop but the phone the rang then finally went to voicemail. I chose not to leave a Vmail at this time.

Then I Google the coursed and saw TPC sawgrass which I believe had unfavorable reviews but I wasn't sure if it is/was the same place. I remembered Golfwrx.com so here I am :)

I'm not sure what you mean by "unfavorable reviews" but it's good enough to host one of the biggest tournaments in golf for umpteen years, and boasts what may be the most famous par three in the world. And is designed by one of the games premier architects.

Are you doing a little leg pulling? :-)

No I am not!

However, I will admit I did a brief scan and I can't find the page where I saw it on which is why I will reserve judgement until I can speak with someone at the resort on Monday and hear what others have to say.

I receive A.J.'s recommendation and don't want to pass up this opportunity to play the course.

I will be on a marriage retreat and I would like an all-around great experience if it is possible.

My wife and I are "HUGE" fans of reviews and we don't take them likely. We have a numeric ratio system (# over 4star reviews) that we have employed for five years to great success. We have only been burned twice if that during that time-frame due to heeding to reviews.

While we are no where near what someone would call rich, I am not adverse to paying a hefty price for such an occasion which is why I am checking things out. If the course was $65 per (I know it is not) I wouldn't blink at it and just sum it up as "Par for the course" (pun intended).

I do thank you for indulging me in this exchange and do appreciate your viewpoints and comments. However, I really don't care about who designed what golf course as beauty is in the eye of the beholder. While we do enjoy a well landscaped golf course, I'm sure I speak for my wife when I say that we are more concerned about the play-ability of the course; preferably moderate to challenging.

As far as it having the most famous par three in the world which I am sure my wife would enjoy as she is rather deadly on par three because she is a two-strokes or less putter anywhere on the green for the most part, St. Andrews is [b]"THEE"[/b] most famous golf course on this planet and we will definitely play it when given the chance and is in the works. BUt that's only because of it's history so we don't really go up on famous and will play the course (probably) because we are there. If you will remember, I initially was just looking for a course to play in Ponte Verda because we will be at the Sawgrass and just want to swing the clubs on a decent to fantastic course while we are there.

Thank you just the same as the jury is still out.

:wave:

Oh and FTR Sawgrass, there was a tournament about a month or two ago and I REALLY HATE THAT I CAN"T REMEMBER WHICH ONE. But the course looked hideous. It was the talk in my golf circle for a few days.

If I did a keyword search, I could probably find the name of it and I probably would remember it if I heard it. It too was a big name tourney with big name golfers.

Not trying to be nasty or any such thing :)

No, you are not harsh JClark3 and yes I have heard of TPC as well as the other many big name courses with Firestone in Akron, Ohio being one of them that I had the chance to play "and join" (but I didn't join)

I am indeed frugal with my money and don't just spend it because I can. I feel confident that TPC may live up to its reputation but it isn't one of those courses like "The Masters in Augusta" that I would pay premo dinero just to play it because of its name and which famous golfer played it; again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

So now, I am guessing I probably should just play it and be done with it. Come September, I may be writing here that I have just played the best round in my life (lol)

[quote name='Cubby Woods' timestamp='1407018800' post='9842351']
Oh and FTR Sawgrass, there was a tournament about a month or two ago and I REALLY HATE THAT I CAN"T REMEMBER WHICH ONE. But the course looked hideous. It was the talk in my golf circle for a few days.

If I did a keyword search, I could probably find the name of it and I probably would remember it if I heard it. It too was a big name tourney with big name golfers.

Not trying to be nasty or any such thing :)
[/quote]

If you are worried about conditioning, most guys without turf grass backgrounds don't understand (golfwrx an exception), but these courses stop watering for the most part around the beginning of the tournament week Sawgrass was in insanely awesome conditioning for the PGA Player's Tournament, but it wasn't green because they were trying to get it firm and fast like Pinehurst #2 was at this years open. I am sure that it will look more lush for when you play it, I don't know how new you are to the game but this is on my top 5 bucket list before I die. This course will play very difficult I knew a kid that played it every year who was a scratch golfer and still hasn't broke 80 from his proper tees.

Ping G Elements Chrome 5F4
Srixon F65 17 Stock Stiff

Ben Hogan VKTR+ 18 Stock Recoil

Titleist AP2 716 DG SL TI S300 4-PW

Titleist SM5 Tour Chrome 50/08 F, 54/10 M and SM7 58/14 K Grind S300

Taylormade Ghost Tour Black Indy

Thanks [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/user/127471-labraegolfer/"]LaBraeGolfer[/url],

I'm not worried about condition, and reading the other guys posts, I have concluded that I'm probably not referring to the same course I saw the bad reviews on.

I probably will go ahead and reserve early tee time Monday.

It sounds like it will be a hard course for me as I am on the cusp of breaking 90 but at least I will be able to add it to my "notable golf courses played".

;)

Cubby,

TPC Sawgrass is a little bit better then a "notable golf course". It hosts The Players every year and is Pete Dyes gem. There are two courses, The Stadium Course and Dyes Valley. Pay the extra and play the Stadium Course. It will be an experience you will never ever forget. Enjoy the clubhouse, it's unreal.

PING G400 LST 10* Tensei Pro Orange
TI 16 Tmag M2 16.5 Tensei Pro White
Taylormade P790 3-PW KBS $-Taper
Vokey SM7 54, 60
Few CT's
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/614765-noyes-witb-updated-8-4-13/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 5 weeks later...

OK,

My trip to Sawgrass was incomplete because I didn't get to play TPC. I was under the impression that our coordinator made arrangements for early tee-times on any of the three days we stayed there only to find out they just secured a discount green fee of $275 per person BUT NO TEE TIMES; only TWO GUYS manage to play Thursday because they got there a day ahead of the group.

They only had ONE time available on Sunday 8/31/2014 at 2:30pm which I refused because it was already 88 degrees at 9am and rising.

Maybe I shouldn't have judged but I saw and listened to the guys that were going over to the course and didn't want to find myself playing behind them at 88 plus degree weather.

[url="http://bit.ly/SawGrass"]The golf pro (Steve Naff)[/url]was a first class snob and I really didn't believe they still existed but that story is at another site and I won't repost it here.

The staff was out of this world and were just as friendly as anyone could be. I enjoyed the resort but I have unfinished business and must play the course now. It was fun watching the guys going out smiling and coming back with a long face.

Wait until you read where we ended up playing. (Ha-Ha)

[quote name='Cubby Woods' timestamp='1409788245' post='10059805']
OK,

My trip to Sawgrass was incomplete because I didn't get to play TPC. I was under the impression that our coordinator made arrangements for early tee-times on any of the three days we stayed there only to find out they just secured a discount green fee of $275 per person BUT NO TEE TIMES; only TWO GUYS manage to play Thursday because they got there a day ahead of the group.

They only had ONE time available on Sunday 8/31/2014 at 2:30pm which I refused because it was already 88 degrees at 9am and rising.

Maybe I shouldn't have judged but I saw and listened to the guys that were going over to the course and didn't want to find myself playing behind them at 88 plus degree weather.

[url="http://bit.ly/SawGrass"]The golf pro (Steve Naff)[/url]was a first class snob and I really didn't believe they still existed but that story is at another site and I won't repost it here.

The staff was out of this world and were just as friendly as anyone could be. I enjoyed the resort but I have unfinished business and must play the course now. It was fun watching the guys going out smiling and coming back with a long face.

Wait until you read where we ended up playing. (Ha-Ha)
[/quote]

cubby you weren't able to play tpc sawgrass because the junior players championship tournament hosted by the AJGA was being held on it from august 28th - 31st.....i went out there on sunday to watch the youngsters play and the course was in [b]pristine[/b] condition. there were no ropes, grandstands or volunteers "in the way" so i did my part to respectfully take advantage basically standing on the tee right behind or next to the caddies, walking on the fairways, standing in the rough next to the green :D definitely get back to "chop out your piece of turf" from there. i'll be back in a few weeks to see how the dye's valley course looks for the web.com tour championship. it's been closed for 6 months due to pretty extensive maintenance so looking forward to it

[attachment=2405347:IMAG2559.jpg]

[attachment=2405361:IMAG2561.jpg]

[attachment=2405369:IMAG2564.jpg]

[attachment=2405379:IMAG2566.jpg]

[attachment=2405389:IMAG2567.jpg]

[attachment=2405395:IMAG2569.jpg]

[attachment=2405407:IMAG2570.jpg]

[attachment=2405411:IMAG2571.jpg]

[attachment=2405415:IMAG2572.jpg]

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

I live in sawgrass and to be 100% honest, the stadium course is hit or miss condition wise throughout the year. Most of the time it's only about average. Now I have played the course many times but only 1/2 a dozen within a few days after the players and to me it almost the only time I care to play it now. After 1 time the novelty wears off and it's very over priced. The valley course is a blast but still closed but shoukd be even better after the web.com championship.

IMO the best year round course conditions wise in the area is Plantation. Sawgrass country club (other side of a1a) is a 27 hole course is usually always in mint condition but they are redoing one of the 9s at the moment. Public wise St. John's golf and country of 210 (25 min from stadium) is probably the best condition wise and hosts the fastest greens where memberships aren't needed.
South Hampton is a mile or two up the road and isn't bad. Cimmeron is a okay at best but new ownership is trying to make it better with real effort.

If you find your way to the world golf village (nothing special other than golf) play the king and the bear instead of slammer and the squire.

North Hampton (45 min away) is public and is a different layout than most fl courses and usually in solid shape.

You MUST stay away from the other course in sawgrass. It used to be called oak bridge but think it's called ponte vedra golf club or something. Unless you like putting through geese crap dirt and sand it's a dump.

Palencia is also a wonderful course if you can get on.

This area hosts some great golf, some over priced golf, some very good golf, and complete trash golf. If you wanna wear jean shorts or board shorts with a tank top we have those courses as well.

Heck if anyone is coming to the area and wants advice on courses food or whatever just pm me

G400 lst digital loft at 9 playing at 8
G400 3w. Xtorsion Black 80tx
G400 5w. Ad-di 8x
20 and 24 ft worth hi
5-pw Miura BB with x100 ti
60 mack daddy forged
Nike 006 proto

[quote name='bluejeeprubi' timestamp='1409846300' post='10063667']
I live in sawgrass and to be 100% honest, the stadium course is hit or miss condition wise throughout the year. Most of the time it's only about average. Now I have played the course many times but only 1/2 a dozen within a few days after the players and to me it almost the only time I care to play it now. After 1 time the novelty wears off and it's very over priced. The valley course is a blast but still closed but shoukd be even better after the web.com championship.

IMO the best year round course conditions wise in the area is Plantation. Sawgrass country club (other side of a1a) is a 27 hole course is usually always in mint condition but they are redoing one of the 9s at the moment. Public wise St. John's golf and country of 210 (25 min from stadium) is probably the best condition wise and hosts the fastest greens where memberships aren't needed.
South Hampton is a mile or two up the road and isn't bad. Cimmeron is a okay at best but new ownership is trying to make it better with real effort.

If you find your way to the world golf village (nothing special other than golf) play the king and the bear instead of slammer and the squire.

North Hampton (45 min away) is public and is a different layout than most fl courses and usually in solid shape.

You MUST stay away from the other course in sawgrass. It used to be called oak bridge but think it's called ponte vedra golf club or something. Unless you like putting through geese crap dirt and sand it's a dump.

Palencia is also a wonderful course if you can get on.

This area hosts some great golf, some over priced golf, some very good golf, and complete trash golf. If you wanna wear jean shorts or board shorts with a tank top we have those courses as well.

Heck if anyone is coming to the area and wants advice on courses food or whatever just pm me
[/quote]

WOW BlueJee! Where the heck were you at when I first started this post on 8/2/2014. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for and I can envision everything you have just posted. :)

@Kemau, You are correct about the Jr play but there must have been some creative scheduling because I know some of the guest were able to play Saturday and Sunday. Steve (the golf pro) told me that the course would be closed on Monday (Labor day) because the AJGA would have the entire course. The reason I know that is because I was willing to stay over one day so that I could play it early in the morning.

The pictures have me stoked to get back and play the course just once because I am in total (100%) agreement with BlueJee with what was posted regarding the area, other courses and price.

Thanx guys

[quote name='TBD203' timestamp='1409828009' post='10061991']
This thread and recent pictures has me insanely excited for November 5th. I will be playing Sawgrass and praying my first ace comes that day.
[/quote]

Yeah, I am looking for my first ace as well. I've came close but no cigars.

I almost had an Albatross (double eagle) once as well which is equivalent to a par 4 ace and better than a par 3 ace. My buddy got one and it cost him about $250 in drinks for the league. I saved him a little money because I was only drinking sodas.