Bandon vs Whistling Straits/Erin Hills

Planning on a boys trip and wondering what you guys would choose. The options are as follows.

Bandon Dunes Trip

Fly in to Seattle on a Saturday

Sunday attend a Seahawks game

Monday morning play chambers bay

Monday afternoon drive to bandon dunes

Tuesday play Bandon Dunes/punchbowl

Wednesday play old Mac and Bandon Trails

Thursday play pacific dunes and bandon preserve

Friday drive back to Seattle and fly home

Whistling Straits trip

Saturday fly in

Sunday either a bears game or packers game depending on who comes

Monday drive to Kohler and play whistling straits Irish course

Tuesday play both black wolf run courses

Wednesday play straits course

Wednesday afternoon drive to Erin Hlls

Thursday play Erin hills

Friday fly home

Both are coming in around the same price of around $3,500 plus food,booze and caddies if taken.

Group will be 8 guys all between 0-6 handicaps. We are fairly evenly split on what one we would prefer so thought we would see what you guys have to say about it. Bandon we would do in November where as whistling straits we would do last half of October.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bandon based on the time of year you're going. I think you'd have a better chance of scoring a nice day that week than if you were to do Wisconsin in October.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

[quote name='ratspros' timestamp='1407337980' post='9870415']
Planning on a boys trip and wondering what you guys would choose. The options are as follows.

Bandon Dunes Trip

Fly in to Seattle on a Saturday
Sunday attend a Seahawks game
Monday morning play chambers bay
Monday afternoon drive to bandon dunes
Tuesday play Bandon Dunes/punchbowl
Wednesday play old Mac and Bandon Trails
Thursday play pacific dunes and bandon preserve
Friday drive back to Seattle and fly home

Whistling Straits trip

Saturday fly in
Sunday either a bears game or packers game depending on who comes
Monday drive to Kohler and play whistling straits Irish course
Tuesday play both black wolf run courses
Wednesday play straits course
Wednesday afternoon drive to Erin Hlls
Thursday play Erin hills
Friday fly home

Both are coming in around the same price of around $3,500 plus food,booze and caddies if taken.

Group will be 8 guys all between 0-6 handicaps. We are fairly evenly split on what one we would prefer so thought we would see what you guys have to say about it. Bandon we would do in November where as whistling straits we would do last half of October.
[/quote]

Number 1 looks really good, but both are great trips. May also want to think about making your return flight from Portland instead of Seattle. It will save some time driving and depending on where you live it may save some money

My group has played at both resorts and we like Kohler a little bit better. One of the primary reasons is Bandon is so hard to get to. I can't tell from your profile where you are traveling from, so travel time is something to consider. That being said, you are really pushing your luck playing at Kohler in late October. I would not recommend this. I was at Kohler in early October several years ago and it was cold and very windy. Not pleasant conditions at all. If you want my opinion, dump the NFL games from your itinerary and do this trip in the summertime. You're coming out of pocket too much coin not to give yourself a good chance at better weather at whichever resort you decide to visit.

Living in Wisconsin, my favorite course in the world is Whistling Straits. With that being said, and all the information you have given, I would choose Bandon. The weather in October can be dicey, and you certainly wouldn't want to spend $3,500 in miserable weather. With that being said, if you could go late August/early September my vote would be for Wisconsin.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 6.2X

Fairway Wood: Titleist TSi3 15° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 8.2X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi3 20° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 8.8X

Irons: Titleist T150 4-PW | KBS Tour V 110s 

Wedge: Vokey SM9 Raw Finish 48.10F, 54.10S, & 60.10V | Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5.5

Putter: Scotty Cameron Limited Release Champions Choice Flowback 5.5 Button Back

[quote name='johnnylongball' timestamp='1407353432' post='9872985'] My group has played at both resorts and we like Kohler a little bit better. One of the primary reasons is Bandon is so hard to get to. I can't tell from your profile where you are traveling from, so travel time is something to consider. That being said, you are really pushing your luck playing at Kohler in late October. I would not recommend this. I was at Kohler in early October several years ago and it was cold and very windy. Not pleasant conditions at all. If you want my opinion, dump the NFL games from your itinerary and do this trip in the summertime. You're coming out of pocket too much coin not to give yourself a good chance at better weather at whichever resort you decide to visit. [/quote]

I just posted a couple seconds after you a very similar statement. As you said about weather in October, I just dug up an old thread that I added pictures to of the River Course on October 26, 2013. [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/914469-black-wolf-run-river/"]This[/url] should give you a good idea of what a "nice" day is that time of year in Wisconsin.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 6.2X

Fairway Wood: Titleist TSi3 15° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 8.2X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi3 20° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 8.8X

Irons: Titleist T150 4-PW | KBS Tour V 110s 

Wedge: Vokey SM9 Raw Finish 48.10F, 54.10S, & 60.10V | Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5.5

Putter: Scotty Cameron Limited Release Champions Choice Flowback 5.5 Button Back

[quote name='puttnforthe8' timestamp='1407339868' post='9870677']
IMO...not even close....Bandon is an experience. The WI golf is about golfing good courses but lacks much of the "experience".
[/quote]

Unless you get in at the Riverbend club, eat at river wild and stay at the American club... Pretty cool experience really.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

[quote name='NCWolfpack' timestamp='1407353816' post='9873035']
[quote name='johnnylongball' timestamp='1407353432' post='9872985'] My group has played at both resorts and we like Kohler a little bit better. One of the primary reasons is Bandon is so hard to get to. I can't tell from your profile where you are traveling from, so travel time is something to consider. That being said, you are really pushing your luck playing at Kohler in late October. I would not recommend this. I was at Kohler in early October several years ago and it was cold and very windy. Not pleasant conditions at all. If you want my opinion, dump the NFL games from your itinerary and do this trip in the summertime. You're coming out of pocket too much coin not to give yourself a good chance at better weather at whichever resort you decide to visit. [/quote]

I just posted a couple seconds after you a very similar statement. As you said about weather in October, I just dug up an old thread that I added pictures to of the River Course on October 26, 2013. [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/914469-black-wolf-run-river/"]This[/url] should give you a good idea of what a "nice" day is that time of year in Wisconsin.
[/quote]

We would try to go as soon after the rate drop of October 15th as we could. Those photos look great for that time of year. Especially for some Canadians the weather sounds nice not cold. Thanks for the advise. So far looks like Bandon is taking the lead.

I would fly into PDX
Go watch the Ducks play Stanford on Nov. 1st- GO DUCKS :) and depending if its a night game play Emerald Valley before the game!
Skip Chambers, I know its the US Open Course but they are gonna most likely be temp greens in the fall/ winter and it isn't playing that great right now anyways. Plus your getting better links golf at Bandon..
Give yourself an extra day at Bandon and fly home from Eugene or PDX. Its about a 5 hr drive from PDX

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]
[size=3]TM SIM Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Pro White 80TX[/size]
[size=3]​TM P790 3i w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX[/size]
[size=3]TM P790 4i w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]Srixon 765 5-PW w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Milled Grind 50deg, 54deg, and 58deg High Toe w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Spider X Copper[/size][/font]

Having been to both it's Bandon without a doubt. Whistling Straits is geat but everything about Bandon is phenomenal!! I would play an extra 18 at Bandon or Pacific though rather than doing the Preserve. The 3rd round of the day at Bandon is free, we played it after 2 rounds of Pacific. Makes for a lot of walking in one day but so worth it. Played #1 twice to make it an even 50 holes walked in 1 day. Get some very comfortable golf shoes!!

[quote name='johnnylongball' timestamp='1407353432' post='9872985']
My group has played at both resorts and we like Kohler a little bit better. One of the primary reasons is Bandon is so hard to get to. I can't tell from your profile where you are traveling from, so travel time is something to consider. That being said, you are really pushing your luck playing at Kohler in late October. I would not recommend this.
[/quote]

This. My group has done both and pretty much everyone preferred Kohler though not by a lot. Bandon was more spectacular, and it's really cool having everything right there are the resort. Bandon is also run fantastically, the gold standard as far as the trips we've taken. However Bandon is much harder to get to and that wind can wear you out after a few days. At the end of the day our group enjoyed the golf courses a little better at Kohler (we were playing 36 a day so that was the big priority). Given the dates you've chosen though, that would swing it hard toward Bandon. October in Wisconsin can be really dicey.

I've done both more than once and agree it is a very tough call. As many have said, the weather in Kohler in October can be brutal. One year we played on Columbus Day weekend and it was miserable. Cold temps and biting wind--no one had fun. However the courses at Kohler can definitely match those at Bandon.

The only drawback for Bandon that I can see is the travel getting there. I live in the East and it is a gigantic PITA to get there. Adding Chambers Bay is a big plus, IMO. That is a really fun, interesting course to play.

If it were me, the potential for bad weather in Kohler in October (especially late October) would probably steer me to Bandon Dunes. BD may have rain and wind, but it is definitely manageable. However if it weren't for the weather, I would choose Kohler over BD because traveling to BD is such a pain.

Have fun with your trip!

One thing I will add is that we that a lot of people don't like how difficult it is to get to Bandon. You can fly into Coos Bay which is 30 min away from Portland but we drove the 4 hours. Even though it took longer, none of us regretted it. Driving down the coast on Hwy 1 was absolutely beautiful and we all very much enjoyed it.

I live in Chicago....last year it was in the mid 40s by mid October. We have similar weather to Wisconsin and in fact might be a tad warmer than our brother to the north.

I do a Wisconsin trip every year and this year we are doing it the week after Labor Day which is about as deep into the calendar as I think you should risk it when talking about Wisconsin golf at premium courses.

[quote name='DLiver' timestamp='1407413216' post='9877663']
I've done both more than once and agree it is a very tough call. As many have said, the weather in Kohler in October can be brutal. One year we played on Columbus Day weekend and it was miserable. Cold temps and biting wind--no one had fun. However the courses at Kohler can definitely match those at Bandon.

The only drawback for Bandon that I can see is the travel getting there. I live in the East and it is a gigantic PITA to get there. Adding Chambers Bay is a big plus, IMO. That is a really fun, interesting course to play.

If it were me, the potential for bad weather in Kohler in October (especially late October) would probably steer me to Bandon Dunes. BD may have rain and wind, but it is definitely manageable. However if it weren't for the weather, I would choose Kohler over BD because traveling to BD is such a pain.

Have fun with your trip!
[/quote]

Have you ever priced a trip to the British Isles versus Bandon?

[quote name='natedd' timestamp='1408137102' post='9943351']

Have fun with your trip!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Not lately. But I did when I first went to BD and the flights to GB were several hundred dollars cheaper than those to BD.

[quote name='DLiver' timestamp='1408190367' post='9946129']
[quote name='natedd' timestamp='1408137102' post='9943351']

Have fun with your trip!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Not lately. But I did when I first went to BD and the flights to GB were several hundred dollars cheaper than those to BD.
[/quote]

I have heard that if you live east of Chicago, the trips are roughly even in cost and travel times, but haven't personally priced them out.

My father prefers Bandon even though we are in that area that the prices are equal, but it has more to do with flying over the ocean.

Having been to both, Whistling Straits feels more high end, but Bandon feels more special. Bandon is my pick between the two. Also, look at rental houses in the area. We got a 6 bedroom house that saved us around $1k off what Bandon was asking for the week.

Also, if you are on the east coast, go to Ireland or Scotland instead. Just the experience is SO much better than here in the States.

[quote name='kygolfer1980' timestamp='1407405827' post='9877339']
Having been to both it's Bandon without a doubt. Whistling Straits is geat but everything about Bandon is phenomenal!! I would play an extra 18 at Bandon or Pacific though rather than doing the Preserve. The 3rd round of the day at Bandon is free, we played it after 2 rounds of Pacific. Makes for a lot of walking in one day but so worth it. Played #1 twice to make it an even 50 holes walked in 1 day. Get some very comfortable golf shoes!!
[/quote]

Agreed. The Preserve is fun, but I'd do another 9 or 18 at PD in a heartbeat.

Make sure you bring multiple pairs of socks each day, and change them between rounds. Buy some good runners socks, the type with no internal seams. Worth every penny to avoid blisters.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Have not played either yet...sadly!!! Bandon is on the list for next year. Others in our group have played Whistling and some both places. All said they loved all the courses but Brandon for the golf.

Those who have played both noted: Whistling has good golf, but also things to do beyond the golf......Bandon the best golf there is but nothing else there and it is hard to get too. Depends on what you like I guess.

I don't think you can wrong with either.