2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Worth the Upgrade? (S300 to C-taper)

LUMA

I am about 2 weeks away from getting some 712 or 714 CB's. I play an S300 right now and my only real complaint is that I would prefer a shaft that is just a tad lighter and didn't feel as harsh. Ball flight seems good and I have no issues with a 6i sticking close to it's mark on the green.

I know I should probably get a shaft fitting but my problem is is that I have nowhere within a 2 hour drive that does Titleist and does it outside. I would love to hit my CB head with a couple different shafts and check it out but it's very difficult. I do have a place here locally where I can do some shaft fitting outside but it will be with Caraway irons. They seem much heavier than my CB's but maybe it's in my head... You think I should just get shafts fit with a somewhat comparable Callaway head? You think it would make much of a difference if I fit with an Apex Pro rather than a Titleist CB head? Will I be surprised when my CB's arrive when the flight and feel is different?

I know this seems ridiculous but I simply don't have the time to travel across the state, pay a bunch of money for a fitting, and drive home to then order irons.

Basically, does all the hassle and extra cost of trying to get numbers really make a difference? Am I correct in assuming the S300 and C-Taper are very similar except the KBS spins a tad less and weighs a tad less? It's either I drive over to Edwin Watts in Ocala and buy my irons off the rack with S300 or I go custom and have to wait awhile. Nobody likes to wait lol.

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist 716 MB PW-6i / T100 4i-5i Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

[quote name='Exist' timestamp='1407461513' post='9884037']
If you haven't hit the C Tapers then I wouldn't think it's a a good idea. If you have, and know that's the shaft for you then by all means go ahead as I'm a firm believer in playing shafts that suit you and inspire confidence.
[/quote]

I did hit them on an Apex Pro head but I wasn't hitting the ball very well that day. I did notice that they flattened out the flight a little and for sure looked to turn down the spin.

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

[quote name='AdamWestAustralia' timestamp='1407462141' post='9884129']
I hit a C Taper in an MP 64 when I was getting fit. Not sure if I would call it an upgrade from an S300.

I always look at different shafts but the good old S300 just seems to keep working, it really is pretty hard to beat.
[/quote]

Well after I hit the KBS tour indoors in a CB head, I was involve with the weight and feel! Problem is is I don't need anything higher than how I am hitting the S300. KBS tour will most likely too flighty and spinny.

Unless KBS tour in 714 MB???? hmmmmm lol.

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Well if you like the feel of the KBS then that is probably your answer.

People seem to think that there is some huge difference in performance when switching between shafts. With the likes of C-Taper, S300, project X etc I have found the difference in actual performance on course to be so slight that feel and confidence are as good of a reason as any to choose which shaft to play.

Take Luke Donald, Mizuno DNA puts him into a X100 I think (or was it KBS Tour?) but he got to number 1 playing S300. Do you really think that 100rpms here or there or .5 degree launch makes that much of a difference?

[quote name='AdamWestAustralia' timestamp='1407464075' post='9884405']

People seem to think that there is some huge difference in performance when switching between shafts. With the likes of C-Taper, S300, project X etc I have found the difference in actual performance on course to be so slight that feel and confidence are as good of a reason as any to choose which shaft to play.

Take Luke Donald, Mizuno DNA puts him into a X100 I think (or was it KBS Tour?) but he got to number 1 playing S300. Do you really think that 100rpms here or there or .5 degree launch makes that much of a difference?
[/quote]

Thats more where my head is at. Find a comparable shaft with at most a little lower ball flight to the S300 that I like the feel of. I still need a good day with the C-Taper to really know. I am going to get with my guy tomorrow and see if I can't iron it out with an Apex Pro head. I took a 4 month break from golf and the last couple of range sessions, I have started hitting the ball well again. Driver is another story lol.

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Just some thoughts,,,,,,,

I'm a 6 and hit Ping G20s.

Ordered them 3 seasons ago with DGS300 and played very well with them for 2 years

For whatever reason I wanted to change to C-Tapers,,,,,,,,, so I did,,,,,,,,

Played about 50 rounds with the C-Tapers. I felt they felt "stiffer" than the S300s. They didn't seem to "kick" as much. I felt I hit the C-Tapers a bit straighter. There doesn't seem to be any way I can hit a big hook with them. With the S300s occasionally one could get away from me. However,,,,, I did get the C-Taper "S" and I think I probably should've gotten the R+. Probably not a whole lot of difference but,,,,,,,,,,,,,

A strange thing I noticed was I didn't seem to be "digging" as much with the C-Tapers. I typically left fair sized divots and using the C-Tapers I seldom "dig" anymore - I seem to be sweeping the ball.

Having said that I expect it's more likely a small swing change I've made. I've been working on keeping my head back instead of letting it follow my hips forward through the release. I expect that's more the cause of my AoA changing.

What I did was to get a single C-Taper shaft and swap it out with my 8 iron. Then hit that iron and the 9 back-to-back to give myself a feel of the 2 different shafts.

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

[quote name='LUMA' timestamp='1407464342' post='9884445']

[/quote]

Thats more where my head is at. Find a comparable shaft with at most a little lower ball flight to the S300 that I like the feel of. I still need a good day with the C-Taper to really know. I am going to get with my guy tomorrow and see if I can't iron it out with an Apex Pro head. I took a 4 month break from golf and the last couple of range sessions, I have started hitting the ball well again. Driver is another story lol.
[/quote]

Yeah good plan.

I wouldn't be holding up too much hope that the shaft will lower your ball flight though. I might be wrong but I have never seen shafts change my flight from high to mid etc. Perhaps a small reduction, but if you deliver the club for a high flight not even a crow bar will drop it that much.

The C Taper is the KBS version of the Project X. perhaps a little lighter.

Find a Mizuno dealer and try both using the same head for consistency of at least one component. Try the Optimizer while you're there.

Then, don't be surprised if you discover that the C Tapers feel somewhat harsh when compared with the DG.

[quote name='kloyd0306' timestamp='1407473849' post='9885609']
The C Taper is the KBS version of the Project X. perhaps a little lighter.

Find a Mizuno dealer and try both using the same head for consistency of at least one component. Try the Optimizer while you're there.

Then, don't be surprised if you discover that the C Tapers feel somewhat harsh when compared with the DG.
[/quote]

I did notice the stiff harsh feeling. Not like the KBS Tour. I think I may be a great candidate for the KBS TourV. Maybe hard step the stiff once to bring it down.

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Changing shaft flex from S to X isn't going to make much of a difference to your ball height let alone hard- stepping once. These adjustments in shaft are more about feel than any flight difference.

Not saying feel isn't a valid reason to tinker with shafts etc but I find it funny that people believe this sort of change makes some major difference.

I'm ready for the trolls but...

I bet you wouldn't notice a flight difference [u]on course[/u] between an S and an X in DG, Project X or KBS in a blind test. Feel yes, flight no.

I have not had outdoor experience with a tour in my heads, but a few years ago while shaft testing in Golf Galaxy, the monitor showed a higher launch angle and spin in the Tour S compared to the s300. But dam did they feel fantastic. The Tour S did feel like they had a bit more kick to them than the S300.

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Again that might be true on a LM but in my experience the difference in shafts out in the real world is small enough that you play what you like the feel of not what gives a certain number.

A few hundred RPM spin or a .5 degree launch difference is neither here nor there you will hardly notice any difference when you put them in your CB's.

So update...

I borrowed a guys callaway forged cb with c-taper x in them. They were fantastic. My ball flight was lowered a bit and the spin was definitely cut down. Even for an X flex, they felt great. I myself don't need an X flex as I hit my 6 around 175 so the stiff should be perfect. I really liked these shafts a lot!

Done deal. I will be ordering 714 CB's with C-Taper S and white multi compound grips. Woot.

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

[quote name='LUMA' timestamp='1407520688' post='9889097']
So update...

I borrowed a guys callaway forged cb with c-taper x in them. They were fantastic. My ball flight was lowered a bit and the spin was definitely cut down. Even for an X flex, they felt great. I myself don't need an X flex as I hit my 6 around 175 so the stiff should be perfect. I really liked these shafts a lot!

Done deal. I will be ordering 714 CB's with C-Taper S and white multi compound grips. Woot.
[/quote]

Cool. Just so you know, they make an S+ flex too.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='AdamWestAustralia' timestamp='1407465510' post='9884681']
[quote name='LUMA' timestamp='1407464342' post='9884445']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah good plan.

I wouldn't be holding up too much hope that the shaft will lower your ball flight though. I might be wrong but I have never seen shafts change my flight from high to mid etc. Perhaps a small reduction, but if you deliver the club for a high flight not even a crow bar will drop it that much.
[/quote]shafts do very little to ballflight...gamed numerous shafts in numerous flexes and results were very minor....All comes down to way they kick and how they feel for me....I am way more to blame for dispersion, spin rates and launch angle.....humans cannot reproduce swings like a robot so very hard to know what fault is person swinging and how much shaft is doing.....how they kick at impact and feel is what it comes down to for me.....and prolly 5 or so shafts I can play without any problem whatsoever.....and so forgiveness of shaft too....boarder c taper shafts are less forgiving on one's swing....have to load and unload perfectly....S300 and especially nippons very forgiving

The C-Taper is for sure worth the upgrade after I did some testing outside. It did bring my ball flight down a little and flattened it out by cutting down the spin. After hitting with a C-Taper X, my S300's felt like bendy marshmallows and the ball was climbing much higher. The tapers were around a half club longer as well. I am for sure ordering my new irons with a c taper. Of course I don't need an X flex... my 6 iron is 170-175 so S should be perfect.

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

I've considered going back to C-Taper's in my irons but trying the standard stiff rather than the S+. I've found that soft stepped X100's are very nice as well as S+ KBS Tours. I think C-Taper S's would be a decent move for me to make because of the shaft weight being a little lighter while still being a fairly stiff and low spin shaft.

Titleist 913D3 9.5* Diamana D+ 72s
Titleist 906F4 13.5* Fuji Rombax 8Z08 X
Titleist 712 CB 4-9, MB PW KBS Tour (HS1X)
Titleist SM5 52-08 & 58-07 S400's
Yes! Victoria II

I tried the C-Tapers because those are the stock shafts in the Adams CMB's and I was a disappointed. I much prefer the Project-X over the C-Taper. Reports that these shafts tend to bend at the hosel don't help much either. For me the C-Taper lauched much higher than the PX and I didn't like that.

Some people may like the C-Taper, but what comes to mind for me is the word OVERRATED.

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

• 2 years later...

Sorry to revise an old thread but thought this might be useful. I've been curious on the new tech shafts after 3 decades playing Dynamic Gold (S300, S400) and recently the KBS Tour shaft (120 stiff).

I bought 3 Ping i25 7 irons from Ebay at a total cost of about $50. Re-built them with all same components and to same swingsweights, only difference was the shafts.

1) DG S400 - used as my old standard to compare against.

2) C-Taper 120 (stiff)

3) Project X 6.0 (soft-stepped with a 6 iron shaft to bring stock FCM of 6.5 down to 6.1.

All clubs hover around the 6.0 FCM range now. Spent several weeks on an outdoor range and on a launch monitor. I play to an 8 by mid-summer, driver swing speed hovers around 107, usually hit a 7 iron to a 160 yardage. I've always had a high ball flight with fairly high spin numbers on the irons so am trying to get both down a bit.

Project X 6.0 soft-stepped - I really like the 6.0 soft-stepped better than straight in. To me, the 6.0 feels stiffer than the specs indicate it should be. The soft-step gave it a better feel, not significantly but enough to notice. I think this shaft is far more playable this way. For me, it launched higher than the S400 but with lower spin and a lower, flatter trajectory. A little more distance than the S400. Even soft-stepped, this is a big boy weapon.

C-Taper straight in - this one shocked me. On paper, it is the direct rival to the Project X. I expected a similar stout feel. The C-Taper feels nothing like the Project X, actually as far apart as possible. Overall, the C-Taper feels much, much softer than the PX and even the S400 although in a different way. There was no "kick point" feel to it like the other two. Instead, you can feel the entire length of the shaft flex a little bit. It's minimal but you can actually feel it but it's very damp, feels like it's flexing in slow motion compared to the other 2 shafts. It feels soft at impact. The ball launched the lowest for me, had the lowest spin numbers and flew the longest distance. The trajectory was lower but not significantly so. Still very playable. This one surprised me because I expected a shaft that might be too much for my swing and the C-Taper was anything but overpowering. I think this shaft gets a bad rap of being too stout for many players. Find the right flex for you and this one can be played by a wider group of golfers than the PX in my opinion.

Why the difference in feel? I wish I had taken a photo of the tips during installation. I put them down next to each other to look at structural differences and it jumps out at you. The metal thickness on the butt end of these shafts was pretty comparable. If there was a difference, it was nothing the naked eye could pick up.

The metal thickness at the tip end showed a drastic difference. The PX has the thickest metal at the tip, by far. The S400 is closer to the PX but still a visible difference. The C-Taper is thin, really thin at the tip end. The PX is easily double the thickness of the C-Taper. This is where 2 things likely come into play. The impact feel and the tip-bending issues that seem to plague the C-Taper.

I suspect the C-Taper feels so soft at impact because it is. The tip section is so very thin that it must factor into the impact force transmitted into the club. Also, that thin wall at the tip would bend much more easily than the other 2 shafts because there is so little metal there. It was shocking to see how thin the C-Taper is at the tip section.

After 3 weeks of feeding my OCD, I have reached paralysis through analysis. Each of the newer tech shafts provided better performance numbers than the S400 but each had their obvious drawbacks. The PX feels and plays stout. The impact is more harsh than the other two, even when soft-stepped. The C-Taper wins the feel game but I wouldn't expect those shafts to hold up long-term. There will be re-shaft projects over time due to how thin the metal design is. We've all read about it. Now I understand it and would expect it - although not welcome considering the premium price of these shafts.

On performance, both show better numbers than the S400. On impact feel, the S400 sits right in the middle. The S400 does feel the most active in its kick while the other two less so but in very different ways. Anyway, that's been my experience.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Since this thing got resurrected, I went to an MB with a PX 6.0 shaft recently. My spin numbers and launch improved and lost no distance. The C-tapers were hurting me in the past. Take that info and do what you like. 7 iron goes around 165 on average for me.

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

• 1 year later...

Little background, I play to +1, competitive in college, still make a run at some local tourneys and don't spend near as much time or energy on my golf game. 

With that said, my driver SS hovers around 114-118, but my irons I'm not nearly as aggressive. I found I play my best when I treat irons, as tools, to hit a specific yardage (6 iron used to be 178-184 yrds carry). I played S300's forever. Literally forever. Never even considered a change till I changed the plane of my swing. I went to a flatter delivery more aggressive release and figured out that S300's weren't stout enough anymore. I'd balloon my longer irons and every so often I'd find myself having to play 10+ yard draw with just about every club. I was comfortable doing so, but under tournament stress I became less consistent.

In my older age, I decided to start tinkering. I found the dgx100 to be straighter, with slightly less height. The major problem was not being able to hit 75-80 percent shots. Felt like the shaft didn't load properly. I had to hit everything 100 percent to ensure solid contact. Next I tried the S400. I WILL SAY, the S400 limited the "ballooning" effect in my longer irons, but with less and less time spent on the range, I found myself still fighting the "lefty lou's" more often. 

My amateur golf career changed when I purchased a set of forged MB clubs with the KBS-TOUR-C-TAPER-120. The set sets up as a D2 throughout. They lowered my launch a tad compared to the DG'S, but the spin was drastically decreased. I literally don't even carry a 3 or 4 iron anymore because I picked up almost 20 yards carry with the 6 and 5 irons. Granted I dont know how they perform on concrete greens, but I still flight the ball high enough to stop the ball on a dime on normal greens. 

The shaft itself feels smooth. I never knew what smooth is, but it's only the way I can describe them. The tip feels firmer but not boardy*. I feel like the ball just compresses more upon solid contact. I would say the overall feel isn't as soft as DG, but the KBS -Ctaper feels like the golf ball is on steroids when it leaves the face. I can work the ball both ways on command. I can flight it up... I can punch it just fine. I can't ever recall "over swinging these irons". (I'd say they play close to a S+ comparing to DG300). 

The only complaint over the past couple years, is about once every 2-3 rounds..... No matter what iron loft, I see a shot that just goes, inexplicably, too far. I'm not talking a flyer lie either. I mean 215 to the stick, no wind, and the 5 iron will launch same height but go 225-230 in the air off the tee. (7 iron close to 200). I can only assume my attack angle slightly decreases and a knuckle ball ensues. 

To make a long story slightly shorter: Conclusion: these shafts help me keep the ball down, prevent me from "over-drawing the ball", decreased spin which added distance (better in the wind as well). Feel just a smidge lighter and literally have made me a better/more versatile iron player. I can actually "feel" the shaft unload into the golf ball which also gives me tremendous feedback on my rythym and tempo. 

I am so happy I game these and stepped away from the S300. I recommend these for better players, folks that spin the ball too much, and ppl right in between s300-x100. Hope this helps.

(Fun fact, I still hit a lot of balls with a set of x-100 blades)... Might seem counterproductive, but it's just a practice measure so when I step back into the c-tapers...they feel that much better.