2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Lack of drinking water on golf courses.

I prefer to push a cart around a course rather than ride.

On a hot day walking a hilly course, I'll fill a 20oz water bottle at almost every cooler to stay hydrated. My home course has a cooler on the range and 6 coolers on the course, one of which is usable for both the front and back nines.

I hate it when I play another course that has no coolers. You have to plan ahead to bring enough water and It is a pain to carry enough with you.

Courses with beverage carts are more than willing to sell you water. I could end up spending as much on water and cart girl tips, as the greens fee cost.

The course I played yesterday, from late morning untill mid afternoon, had neither water coolers or a beverage cart. Before finishing the hilly back nine, I really could have used some water.

Maybe I should call the course I played yesterday, and ask if they have water coolers on the course. When they say no, I'll tell them " I guess I don't need a tee time then".

I really don't know why courses have stoped putting coolers out. Are they looking to cut expenses by not putting water out ? Are they trying to increase sales for their beverage carts ? Is there a liability issue ?

If I want to play away from my home course, the first thing that i'm going to ask, is if they have water coolers out on the course. If they answer no, then I'll tell them "okay, Have a good day, goodbye".

End of rant.

G400Max 10.5 Driver Red Velocore 6S
G410 5 Wood Tensei Orange stiff
Ping G410 Hybrid 22* & 26* Evenflo Black 6.0 stiff

Ping G Gap-6 iron Steelfiber i95 R.flex

Ping Anser 52* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Cleveland CBX 56* Steelfiber i95 R fles
Callaway X Tour 59.5* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Scotty Newport 2,  prov1x, Motocaddy M1

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[u][b][color=#282828]Are they trying to increase sales for their beverage carts ?[/color][/b][/u]

You nailed it. Why provide water for free if you can sell it for $2.50 a bottle.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

[quote name='KARL M' timestamp='1408545028' post='9972297']
I prefer to push a cart around a course rather than ride.

On a hot day walking a hilly course, I'll fill a 20oz water bottle at almost every cooler to stay hydrated. My home course has a cooler on the range and 6 coolers on the course, one of which is usable for both the front and back nines.

I hate it when I play another course that has no coolers. You have to plan ahead to bring enough water and It is a pain to carry enough with you.

Courses with beverage carts are more than willing to sell you water. I could end up spending as much on water and cart girl tips, as the greens fee cost.

The course I played yesterday, from late morning untill mid afternoon, had neither water coolers or a beverage cart. Before finishing the hilly back nine, I really could have used some water.

Maybe I should call the course I played yesterday, and ask if they have water coolers on the course. When they say no, I'll tell them " I guess I don't need a tee time then".

I really don't know why courses have stoped putting coolers out. Are they looking to cut expenses by not putting water out ? Are they trying to increase sales for their beverage carts ? Is there a liability issue ?

If I want to play away from my home course, the first thing that i'm going to ask, is if they have water coolers out on the course. If they answer no, then I'll tell them "okay, Have a good day, goodbye".

End of rant.
[/quote]

We have ice coolers almost always topped off by our outside operations every 5 holes and at every "crossroads" where two paths cross. It is huge here in South Carolina, it gets hottttt

Any course that would purposely not place coolers or fountains on the course is just ridiculous in my opinion and deserves a good slap in the head. That is just wrong, especially if they are doing it with financial gains in mind.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

If you don't plan on playing there again, you could always call into the shop claiming heat exhaustion, ask to be brought back to the shop via cart, and when they get there be sure to be laying face down or something. Water might not be free, but sometimes amusement is.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

If I'm playing a waterless course I'll pop two 20oz Gatorades in the freezer and two more in the fridge the night before.

Four 20oz drinks are usually enough to get me around on a 80-90 degree day. I also push cart it so it's easier to push the extra weight around than carry it.

But I would say it's probably more about course revenue than anything else. They have to pay the bills as well!

When I worked a summer on a golf course, and this is 10 or so years ago, the course was in the process of removing all it's water stations because a teen in Arizona had died due to some sort of contamination with the water coolers. The course was sued and shortly thereafter went under, and a ripple effect went throughout the entire industry and courses began to remove their water jugs to protect themselves. At the same time many offered bottled water for sale to customers and made some small profit on it. In doing so they learned to both cover themselves from litigation and make more money.

its not just trying to increase cart sales of drinks

there have been several e coli incidents that carry huge liability for the course to offer free water.

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

We don't really warrant it up here in the rainy Northwest very often. However, it is REALLY nice when a course has them. We don't take well to heat up here (well.... some of us don't). I was dying yesterday on my round. There was 1 water cooler. It is located on 16. It was heavenly... However, up here I can see how it isn't really an issue. The courses that I have played down in AZ and TX had coolers at least every few holes. My old home course would actually send a marshall out with a cooler full of water to give away when it would get too hot.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

I used to caddie and our course only had 3 drinking fountains for the entire 18 holes. But they had about 4 beverage carts going around and a halfway house with $5 Gatorades and $4 waters.

So think about how the caddies felt, lugging double bags around in summertime heat with only 3 places to fill up. And you can't afford to carry too much water with you as you already have the weight from 2 bags, rangefinder, towels, etc.

Not really seeing the issue here, you have a cart bag and you're complaining about carrying water ?

The bags hold plenty, I walk and still take 2L with me, 2.5 sometimes. Odds are in summer I'll drink the lot and in winter I'll probably only use a litre but you freeze the one for the back 9 and it keeps the front 9 bottle nice and cool

[quote name='VNutz' timestamp='1408545650' post='9972381']
When I worked a summer on a golf course, and this is 10 or so years ago, the course was in the process of removing all it's water stations because a teen in Arizona had died due to some sort of contamination with the water coolers. The course was sued and shortly thereafter went under, and a ripple effect went throughout the entire industry and courses began to remove their water jugs to protect themselves. At the same time many offered bottled water for sale to customers and made some small profit on it. In doing so they learned to both cover themselves from litigation and make more money.
[/quote]

This...If not kept up, the coolers are a health hazard.

If the course doesn't have watering stations they need to make that abundantly clear at check in. If the course is in a warm area of the country and the only option is to buy bottled water it will be the last time I play that course. If there is anything that should be included with your day of golf it's a place to get a free drink of water.

[/quote]

[color=#282828]That's bull$hit and the courses fault...a golf course is no different than every restaurant or bar, the water all comes from the same place. Change the filter on your ice machine when it needs it, keep your hands out of the ice, and clean the jugs once a week. There are hundreds of thousands of guys that work outside who get water from a 5 gallon igloo[/color]

[quote name='topr' timestamp='1408547415' post='9972615']
If the course doesn't have watering stations they need to make that abundantly clear at check in. If the course is in a warm area of the country and the only option is to buy bottled water it will be the last time I play that course. If there is anything that should be included with your day of golf it's a place to get a free drink of water.
[/quote]

I'll play devil's advocate then. Is the course/club (unless private) in the business of making money? Is the course/club going to get its azz sued if someone gets sick from the on course water? Is the course/club going to have someone dedicated on staff to make sure that everything with the on course water up to par with going out on course, wash sterilize if needed, and replenish throughout the next day, even more so if you have an in ground water system?

The course I worked at last summer (private) had an issue with a couple of its on course taps and had an unbelievable bad sulphur taste/smell to it. All the lines got flushed 2-3 times but the problem still persisted. Short of digging up the lines, but not knowing what the problem was they just shut them down. Not so much of an issue at a private track, but if public, would they like to eat the $10k it might have taken to fix/replace the lines, or solve all of this by just selling bottled water?

Part of the issue with society is this 'everything should be free to no cost' attitude now. Is it a nice thing that courses have it, for sure, but they aren't obligated in anyway towards keeping you hydrated, or giving you free water (private obviously a different animal). If you know your going to go golfing, pack accordingly. Especially if you use a pull/push cart, then you have little to no excuse vs. a guy with a light weight carry bag for storage.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

[quote name='topr' timestamp='1408548584' post='9972773']
[/quote]

[color=#282828]That's bull$hit...a golf course is no different than every restaurant or bar, the water all comes from the place. Change the filter on your ice machine when it needs it, keep your hands out of the ice, and clean the jugs once a week. There are hundreds of thousands of guys that work outside who get water from a 5 gallon igloo[/color]
[/quote]

Not BS, litigation is changing how society runs. Everyone can sue for any basic reason (not so much in Canada) and get awarded stupid amounts of money and then everyone's insurance goes up to cover those lost profits, because insurance companies never lose out (one of the best scams going).

Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

[quote name='setter02' timestamp='1408548879' post='9972813']
[/quote]

[color=#282828]That's bull$hit...a golf course is no different than every restaurant or bar, the water all comes from the place. Change the filter on your ice machine when it needs it, keep your hands out of the ice, and clean the jugs once a week. There are hundreds of thousands of guys that work outside who get water from a 5 gallon igloo[/color]
[/quote]

Not BS, litigation is changing how society runs. Everyone can sue for any basic reason (not so much in Canada) and get awarded stupid amounts of money and then everyone's insurance goes up to cover those lost profits, because insurance companies never lose out (one of the best scams going).
[/quote]

Would you not let my secrets out ? You work for the PGA of America or something ?

All of our local courses have stopped putting out water coolers. I have heard it rumored (I don't know if it's true or not) that the state required them to discontinue the water coolers on the course due to health risks, and that it is not up to the course but instead is a state mandated rule. Most of the courses now have actual coolers set up every 3 holes or so with sealed bottles of water floating in ice that are sold for 50 cents, with a mailbox to put your quarters in. They just operate on the honor system. I'm sure a lot of people steal them, but the courses aren't going to send golfers out in the heat of the summer with no water available.

The funny thing is that bottled water is still $1.00 in the pro shop, but the same bottled water is $0.50 on the third hole. :dntknw:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I understand that, but you can't draw the line at the water jugs. It could have just as easily happened from the beverage cart or the coffee maker in the clubhouse. It's nothing more than using litigation as an excuse to not have to provide water on the course.

[quote name='topr' timestamp='1408549304' post='9972863']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I understand that, but you can't draw the line at the water jugs. It could have just as easily happened from the beverage cart or the coffee maker in the clubhouse.
[/quote]

What is going to have constant interaction with employees and have an eye on it, the water coolers on course or the bev cart that gets cleaned usually everyday (courses I've worked for at least) or coffee maker?

You can't trust anyone anymore, which is really sad, but I'll take my chances on the equipment that is used all the time with constant attention over a kid filling a cooler up with a hose that's been left outside.

Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I understand that, but you can't draw the line at the water jugs. It could have just as easily happened from the beverage cart or the coffee maker in the clubhouse. It's nothing more than using litigation as an excuse to not have to provide water on the course.
[/quote]

I agree, any situation where a surface can be contaminated [i]should[/i] be kept clean and can be a potential hazard. But as in many things in life, the reaction to a high profile situation is generally greater than the reaction to other potential threats that haven't been brought to the public eye. Any course GM, executive or CEO who didn't remove the coolers would leave themselves and their course open to far more criticism and litigation having known about this situation and not removing the coolers. It's as much about PR, litigation, and covering their own backsides (and jobs) as it is about protecting from the issue at hand. If they don't take them down, then they leave themselves open to litigation if any golfer came down sick in the days and weeks following golfing there, whether the course was at fault or not. That's a PR and lawsuit nightmare, and many simply don't have the financials to take on such a situation, so removing coolers is the easy way out. It's taking down a lot of risk, all for something they offer for free and actually costs them money in water bills and time spent cleaning, filling and monitoring the coolers. And them realizing they could make money selling bottles of water was simply a byproduct of the situation IMO.

[quote name='VNutz' timestamp='1408551098' post='9973101']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree, any situation where a surface can be contaminated [i]should[/i] be kept clean and can be a potential hazard. But as in many things in life, the reaction to a high profile situation is generally greater than the reaction to other potential threats that haven't been brought to the public eye. Any course GM, executive or CEO who didn't remove the coolers would leave themselves and their course open to far more criticism and litigation having known about this situation and not removing the coolers. It's as much about PR, litigation, and covering their own backsides (and jobs) as it is about protecting from the issue at hand. If they don't take them down, then they leave themselves open to litigation if any golfer came down sick in the days and weeks following golfing there, whether the course was at fault or not. That's a PR and lawsuit nightmare, and many simply don't have the financials to take on such a situation, so removing coolers is the easy way out. It's taking down a lot of risk, all for something they offer for free and actually [b]costs them money in water bills and time spent cleaning, filling and monitoring the coolers. And them realizing they could make money selling bottles of water was simply a byproduct of the situation IMO[/b].
[/quote]

...and there it is.

That's the issue I have. With a little due diligence it's not any more a problem than a 100 things that could go wrong in the kitchen everyday but because "there's nothing in it for us" why bother?

might as well keep the lawyer on retainer for the guy that collapses and sues the course for heat stroke because there was no place to get drink.

So learning from an unfortunate situation is a bad thing? I'd think that spending $3-5 on bottled water is money well spent rather than assuming the course is doing its due diligence on cleaning coolers. If money is the issue, then learn to bring your own. I bring a 64 oz Nalgene whenever I play, it's not too heavy to carry and generally does the trick for walking and carrying. It's not too much to ask to have people look out for themselves IMO.

I've never heard so many people complain about not having access to free water. I don't think courses are obligated to feed of water anyone. Bring your own damn water if you need it that bad. Take ownership in your own well being and get on with it ... Geez. First world problems. There are people out there that don't have access to any form of clean drinking water ... Rant over ... :D

How can somebody sue for heat stroke on a golf course because they didn't provide free water? If somebody chooses not to drink beverages, that is their issue, not the course. That's just like somebody suing for getting hit with an errant ball, you take the risk by being on the course and making a decision on where you are.

[quote name='Hole1483' timestamp='1408549205' post='9972851']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Would you not let my secrets out ? You work for the PGA of America or something ?
[/quote]

CPGA Pro, tho leaving the golf industry so I can go back to enjoying golf again.

Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line