What's the latest on the Exotics Driver?

mike0814

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... anyone have a review on performance yet?

63235[/snapback]

I talked with Andy, TouredgeExotics, the other day and he said the heads just came in and they were assemblying them and shipping them out. I would expect user reviews soon.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

I hit it a few weeks ago first on the range and then on a Vector LM....I started a thread in Domestic Equipment....check it out there.

63245[/snapback]

Here's the link>>>TE Driver review

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

I hit it a few weeks ago first on the range and then on a Vector LM....I started a thread in Domestic Equipment....check it out there.

63245[/snapback]

ok cool ... so, it's high launch and low spin. same kind of feel as the fairways? same kind of look with a little face progression?

you gonna be hitting it again any time soon? thinking seriously about putting one in play?

i ask a lot of questions because around the s.f. bay area these things are no where to be found. i bought my 13* head sight unseen (something i don't think i've ever done before) based on so many glowing reviews ... and getting a sense from some good pictures that it had a look i'd like.

thanks for the feedback. i know the tee drivers are not technically out yet, but i also know some guys have them already (as always) .. and yet the reviews/references are pretty vague.

I'm probably going to be swinging by to hit it again on Monday.  Let me know what kind of info you need...I'll do my best to get your questions answered!

63255[/snapback]

gracias. pretty much the questions i have from above regarding looks, feel, maybe face angle.

numbers in relation to others (ballspeed) are nice too ... though true flight and performance can't be determined from a machine.

I'm probably going to be swinging by to hit it again on Monday.  Let me know what kind of info you need...I'll do my best to get your questions answered!

63255[/snapback]

putt4doh,

i'd be interesting in the following specifically:

1. does the exotics driver look similar to the fairway woods at address (appeared that way in the pictures to me), i.e. classic modern with pronounced curvature to the face (the opposite of a flat-faced taylormade, similar to a titleist)?

2. does the 9* indeed appear square or is it a litle closed looking?

3. does the head hide it's 460cc's well to your eye ala a cleveland comp?

4. does the feel off the face resemble the titanium fairways ... this one is hard to describe in words?

5. i wouldn't worry about the 's' flex shaft too much vs. your usual 'x' unless it's an absolute noodle ... the head design and loft will contribute way more to your launch and spin numbers ... that said, how do the exotic's numbers compare in launch angle and spin rate to your 9.5 titleist??? ... i'm particularly interested in this as i play a 7.5 983e, which i can hit plenty high ... if i were to buy another 983e i'd go to an 8.5 and trade the extra launch for a little more forgiveness ... thus, i'm thinking 8* exotics based on what you said about it being a slightly higher launch head than the titleist (and i believe the 905 series is higher launch than the 983) ... thus, i'm really interested to hear what the actual numbers are for launch and spin on the exotics vs. the titleist even though the shaft is different.

6. appeal-wise (granted the exotics is 60cc more than your titleist), how do you like the exotics at set-up compared to your 905 ... look closed, too upright, etc.?

i'm pretty certain that unless one of my buddies shows up with one of the exotic drivers that i'll end up having to buy it sight unseen. that worked for the fairway wood ... thus, a nice comparative is the driver against the fairway woods ... i'm sure tour edge tried to incorporate the positives of the fairways into the driver (but hopefully with higher cog and less spin) ... but, did they succeed?

also, like you and others, my guess is that we're talking about buying a $400 head only because a re-shaft will be required. none of the stock shafts come close to suiting my needs ... but, that is pretty much always the case. i've heard that other shafts will be available and that there are folks who can get exactly what you want ... but, if true, who knows how long that might take :-).

i appreciate any feedback you can provide ... i love the 3+ wood and (except for the funky holes in the sole, which is no biggie) thought the driver head looked very good in pictures for a 460cc ... and very reminiscent of the look of the fairway woods.

thanks,

mike

63255[/snapback]

Putt4doh,

Just advancing this back to the top ... were you able to hit the TEE agian ... if not, any plans to do so?

65318[/snapback]

Sorry for the delay, I'm headed over there on Friday. More of an update to come on Friday afternoon.

63255[/snapback]

Putt4doh,

Just advancing this back to the top ... were you able to hit the TEE agian ... if not, any plans to do so?

65318[/snapback]

Sorry for the delay, I'm headed over there on Friday. More of an update to come on Friday afternoon.

65377[/snapback]

cool ... i'll look forward to it.

63255[/snapback]

Putt4doh,

65318[/snapback]

65377[/snapback]

cool ... i'll look forward to it.

65467[/snapback]

bumping this thread, I want to know more about this driver and results...

63255[/snapback]

putt4doh,

1. does the exotics driver look similar to the fairway woods at address (appeared that way in the pictures to me), i.e. classic modern with pronounced curvature to the face (the opposite of a flat-faced taylormade, similar to a titleist)?

4. does the feel off the face resemble the titanium fairways ... this one is hard to describe in words?

5. i wouldn't worry about the 's' flex shaft too much vs. your usual 'x' unless it's an absolute noodle ... the head design and loft will contribute way more to your launch and spin numbers ... that said, how do the exotic's numbers compare in launch angle and spin rate to your 9.5 titleist??? ... i'm particularly interested in this as i play a 7.5 983e, which i can hit plenty high ... if i were to buy another 983e i'd go to an 8.5 and trade the extra launch for a little more forgiveness ... thus, i'm thinking 8* exotics based on what you said about it being a slightly higher launch head than the titleist (and i believe the 905 series is higher launch than the 983) ... thus, i'm really interested to hear what the actual numbers are for launch and spin on the exotics vs. the titleist even though the shaft is different.

6. appeal-wise (granted the exotics is 60cc more than your titleist), how do you like the exotics at set-up compared to your 905 ... look closed, too upright, etc.?

i'm pretty certain that unless one of my buddies shows up with one of the exotic drivers that i'll end up having to buy it sight unseen. that worked for the fairway wood ... thus, a nice comparative is the driver against the fairway woods ... i'm sure tour edge tried to incorporate the positives of the fairways into the driver (but hopefully with higher cog and less spin) ... but, did they succeed?

also, like you and others, my guess is that we're talking about buying a $400 head only because a re-shaft will be required. none of the stock shafts come close to suiting my needs ... but, that is pretty much always the case. i've heard that other shafts will be available and that there are folks who can get exactly what you want ... but, if true, who knows how long that might take :-).

i appreciate any feedback you can provide ... i love the 3+ wood and (except for the funky holes in the sole, which is no biggie) thought the driver head looked very good in pictures for a 460cc ... and very reminiscent of the look of the fairway woods.

thanks,

mike

63884[/snapback]

Alright, I hit the TEE driver again yesterday and here's what I can tell you....

1. Yes, it looks similiar to the FW (face, crown), but it doens't really look at address like the classic pear shaped, Titleist. If I had to say it looked like something, probably closer to a Cleveland at address than a Titliest. But, it is a bit taller than you might expect, ala 983e/905s

2. The 9*, I believe is a degree closed (Tour Edges' specs). It doesn't look like a hook machine---If it is a degree closed, they did a pretty good job 'hiding' it.

3. Yes, they say it's 460, but looks noticably smaller when placed next to a G5.

4. Couldn't really do another A/B on the LM, they were turned off due to the cold front. I think I mentioned some number in the other thread through...

5. I love the traditional shape/setup of Titleist. For whatever reason I don' hit anything as well as a Titleist. That being said, the TEE driver didn't bother me at address....I think we all have something we just can't stand looking at, but I would certainly NOT put this in that category.

I hope that helps a little. I did hit a couple ridiculous bombs with this thing, but wasn't nearly conisistent enought to consider a change...but then again the setup was wrong for me, but it still made me take pause. Most any other club in a 65g/S flex just does really bad things when I swing it---the TEE driver didn't.

Incidentally, they have a 5 of the beauties for sale....

63255[/snapback]

putt4doh,

thanks,

mike

63884[/snapback]

Alright, I hit the TEE driver again yesterday and here's what I can tell you....

1. Yes, it looks similiar to the FW (face, crown), but it doens't really look at address like the classic pear shaped, Titleist. If I had to say it looked like something, probably closer to a Cleveland at address than a Titliest. But, it is a bit taller than you might expect, ala 983e/905s

2. The 9*, I believe is a degree closed (Tour Edges' specs). It doesn't look like a hook machine---If it is a degree closed, they did a pretty good job 'hiding' it.

3. Yes, they say it's 460, but looks noticably smaller when placed next to a G5.

4. Couldn't really do another A/B on the LM, they were turned off due to the cold front. I think I mentioned some number in the other thread through...

5. I love the traditional shape/setup of Titleist. For whatever reason I don' hit anything as well as a Titleist. That being said, the TEE driver didn't bother me at address....I think we all have something we just can't stand looking at, but I would certainly NOT put this in that category.

I hope that helps a little. I did hit a couple ridiculous bombs with this thing, but wasn't nearly conisistent enought to consider a change...but then again the setup was wrong for me, but it still made me take pause. Most any other club in a 65g/S flex just does really bad things when I swing it---the TEE driver didn't.

Incidentally, they have a 5 of the beauties for sale....

66730[/snapback]

gracias.