Recent trip to Scotland..

Ok Gent's I am terrible at writing, but it was brought to my attention that I indeed needed to share my trip with you all, so I will do my best to share it with all who care to listen..(read)

My trip started in the brain of a fellow high school classmate, as a 50th birthday trip for 8-12 of us and ended up as a trip with 8 great people who had the time of their lives ..(at least I think I can speak for them all in saying that) Of the original group, there was only 3..The final guys ranged in age from 40-62.

We started planning in June of 2013. We knew we wanted to play ST Andrews Old, Muirfield and Carnoustie for sure but wanted to play 6-7 rounds.

In the end we played 7, in this order;

Kingsbarns

Carnoustie

St Andrews New

St Andrews Old

Muirfield

Gullane #1

North Berwick

Keep in mind you were never allowed to play the championship tee's...And to be honest, after looking at where they were on some holes I'm glad we didn't...Everything was from about 6400-6700 yards

In order to play Muirfield (only open to public for Tuesday or Thursday) we had to book tee times a year in advance because the Open had just been played there so the times were hard to come by.

It started Aug 21st fly out to Edinburgh...I recommend a late afternoon flight (we left at 4:20) stopped in Philly and on to Edinburgh. We arrived at 8:40 AM 6 hr's 40 minutes sleeping about half the time. We had rental cars..My best advice...Automatics..We had sticks which were fine, but when you're sitting on the right side driving on the left hoping to not get in an accident, not shifting would be one less thing to worry about :good: We Drove to St Andrews..which some my not realize, is a great city and college that was founded in the early 1400's with a lot of history and not just a golf course. Our biggest task upon arrival was to stay awake until at least 9:00pm local time...Trust me it's a must!!! You will be exhausted but the next morning you will be closer to normal than if you crashed earlier. There are plenty of things to do (bars new liquor to try shops & people to see) Our Hotel Was the Hotel Du Vin..Great place to stay and about a 9 Iron to the 18th green & first tee of the Old course. You can stand on the front steps & look to your left & there they are.

Day two, playing Kingsbarns. Just a few pics

This is a great course, designed by an American architect who studied many Scottish courses before they moved any earth, which they did move a lot of. It opened in 2000 any was the youngest course by far!

This is where my writing skills will fail most of you..It was a great playing course but If I had to describe it, I would call it Americanized. Don't get me wrong, it was fantastic with true links golf all the way around. I shot 77 that day. No caddies, pretty straight forward.

Day Two we played Carnoustie..only a pic of the clubhouse at this time,

Caddies a Must...Carnoustie was a blast as well...It's all about the history..All Vandevelde had to do was go 8 iron-8 Iron wedge 2 putt win. To be fair, he was screwed when the shot hit the rail and bounced into the water. This course brought me troubles for the first 7 holes...Well if I'm being honest, the booze from the night before brought me troubles. I was 8 over after seven before finally clearing my head...Finished with an 80. Par here was 71 bogie on 18. The history like I stated, is what most of these courses have to offer as their best attributes. You have to appreciate the fact that there are many legends of the game that have played at all of these courses and you get to walk the same holes as they did.

Day 3 The new course at St Andrews...No Caddies Get a forecaddie though they help almost as much. It started out nice, but at the turn...20-30 MPH winds and cloudy...Sorry no pics. Shot 75 here...All along I had heard many say that the New course..(keep in mind it's over 130 years old) was a better golf course than the Old course...I would say no. It was a terrific course in it's own right but I would say without all the past history it isn't the same as the Old course. We got the full Scottish effect less the rain on the back side though...It's a different game in those winds on links courses. I lowered my loft on my driver to 8.75 (on the first tee) and played to keep it out of the wind. They will run forever. We had a blast though.

Day 4 the Old course...Caddies are a must. Humbling to say the least...standing on the first tee knowing that so many of the greats have stood there before you. I hit hybrid to layup short of the water..about 90 yards out...(they run forever)... hit a lob wedge to about 20' two putt par and were off and running...Like I stated, it's about the history..Many great holes and then some very regular holes. #5 is a 514 yard par 5. I was 138 out after my drive because I was lucky enough to hit the ball right where my caddy said with a slight draw...I am a 260-275 off the tee player...not 376, but they run forever in the right spots. Here's a few pics

It was an amazing day, all in all an amazing 5 days in St Andrews....The next morning we took off for Muirfield. We checked into our rooms at the Open Arms Hotel and soon boarded a train for Edinburgh it was a great day with many things to do and see. The castle is a must, but there is plenty to do for everyone.

Next morning a 9:00 am tee time at Muirfield. I shot 75 It's everything you would hope for guys..I truly can't put into words how great of a track it is. Keep in mind, you are truly a 2nd or 3rd class citizen to them though. They will treat you with respect, but are not afraid to let you know your place & where you are. Treat them as you would your best favorite grandparent or parents and you will be just fine. George was our starter and was a great first glimpse

of what to expect. Funny, light but you just know that yes sir & no sir were the absolute only answers he accepted. on a side note, after our round we had chosen not to stay for lunch..(you need to bring sport coats & ties with dress shoes to get in) but we were allowed to go into the men's lunch room and get a beer...Of course to bring back outside to drink..LOL George was kind enough to set up tee times for us at Gullane #1

Pics of Muirfield.

When we got to the Gullane #1 course, it was like most municipal course you might find with 3 courses...except this was in Scotland and was also over 130 years old. It was a final qualifying course for the 13" Open and if I heard correct only a couple people shot under par. I shot 81...It was a hilly course with great views of the north sea as well as Muirfield. This was not on our schedule but still fun none the less. I would however recomend a cart...LOL...especially after 18 @ Muirfield and the hills. The wind had picked up and we had two holes of wind & rain, but again, it was a great course.

Final Day was North Berwick...Shot 75 here. It was the wettest of all the days...in fact it was really the only day with steady rain. Really from the 8th hole on. To be honest, I think I would have been a little disappointing had we not had a rain day like this...I mean we're in Scotland for cripes sake...LOL There were some really funky holes here, But after the 3rd hole, I settled down and think it was a very fun course to play.

This was my tee shot on the WALL hole...I was 75 yards from the pin and you had to hit it over the wall to the green. There was no straight shot to it...The wall was parallel to the green...Fun for sure.

There are many more memories that I would have a hard time putting to words, But all in all this was a great trip. Spend the time to research it all. Go with a group if you can and remember, that golf as we know it started right here and that you will never have a better shot than a bump & run to the greens and even then you'll probably have a hard time on the greens.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a great trip! Great courses for sure. Brings back wonderful memories for me. You really shot some fine scores over there. My guess is that you know how to find the fairway with tee shots. If you miss the fairway on most holes at a course like Muirfield- you are toast, including many lost balls. Thanks for posting all the pictures.

[quote name='Shemp' timestamp='1409784746' post='10059491']
I've played all of those courses. Outstanding lineup for a single trip. Congrats... however, be forewarned... do not tell your wife it was a "once in a lifetime" trip.. you will now be looking to do it annually. (trust me on this!)
[/quote]

Been there- done that- made that mistake.
Then there was "Scotland- Part II, The Northern Experience", and so forth.
Can't let the lads down, can we... :drinks:

something on the bucket list for sure. Maybe I should start planning now for 2018 and ease into it with the wifey. :help:[size=4] [/size]

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='kekoa' timestamp='1409856693' post='10064863']
Epic trip and thanks for sharing. Definitely on my to do list before i die.

Is there some type of raffle to get a tee time on the old course?
[/quote]

A 'raffle'? :swoon: , it's not the meat draw down ya local pub you know. Lmao. Please, if you ever come over, never ever call it a 'raffle' on the 1st tee at St Andrews. Seriously though, sorry I didn't mean to mock. It's called The Ballot.

My trip in Sept 2012 is almost identical to yours. 8 guys in a rental house in St. Andrew's while the Ryder Cup was on at Medinah.

Our only bummer was we got all the way to Muirfield and it was gusting 80-100mph. George told us not to play and that we'd quit after 3 holes. He was nice enough to have a wee nip of scotch with him in the Starters hut

Great write up. Brings back memories

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1409857408' post='10064913']

[/quote]

A 'raffle'? :swoon: , it's not the meat draw down ya local pub you know. Lmao. Please, if you ever come over, never ever call it a 'raffle' on the 1st tee at St Andrews. Seriously though, sorry I didn't mean to mock. It's called The Ballot.
[/quote]

Noted. Sorry to 'Raffle' your feathers. :taunt:

[quote name='kekoa' timestamp='1409859272' post='10065049']
[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1409857408' post='10064913']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Noted. Sorry to 'Raffle' your feathers. :taunt:
[/quote]

No problem, just a load of 'ballots' anyhow! :taunt:

[quote name='joey2aces' timestamp='1409856478' post='10064835']
something on the bucket list for sure. Maybe I should start planning now for 2018 and ease into it with the wifey. :help:
[/quote]

There was no easing the wife...It was, I'm going...No wives or girlfriends Go to NAPA Valley, Mexico, what ever all of you want to do....you're just not coming on this trip...I'm still alive to talk about it, so I think it worked...LOL

we got back from scotland 2 weeks ago as well. we did 36 holes a day and played north berwick(our favorite) carnoustie(great first 5-6 holes and last 4 finishing holes but otherwise boring) and the new course. i cannot recommend enough crail(balcomie and craighead) balcomie was just awesome. for the money i would drive 5 miles past kingsbarns and play balcomie all day everyday.

additionally we did a couple of the rota courses
leven links(decent but wouldnt have to play again)
scotscraig, same as above

the glen golf club(north berwicks sister course very fun)
longniddry(wouldnt recommend but we were looking for a warm up round off the plane)
craigielaw(fun course and would recommend)

in order of my favorite
north berwick
balcomie
carnoustie
craighead
[size=4]craigielaw[/size]
the glen golf club
the new course
scotscraig
leven links

we never had a caddy we just bought course guides and had our lasers.
we booked everything ourselves. if you can order from a mcdonalds menu and dont mind sending an email or two i would recommend this, dont pay a tour operator, but again its just a matter of preference.
we stayed in a hostel in edinburgh and st andrews as well(we rented a whole room to ourselves).
we also rented a car
we figured we spent about 3500-4000 each in total costs.

golf is definitely different over there(loads of fun though). we all are single digit cappers and left humbled.
longniddry

[quote name='prsgtrman' timestamp='1410111083' post='10079709']
we got back from scotland 2 weeks ago as well. we did 36 holes a day and played north berwick(our favorite) carnoustie(great first 5-6 holes and last 4 finishing holes but otherwise boring) and the new course. i cannot recommend enough crail(balcomie and craighead) balcomie was just awesome. for the money i would drive 5 miles past kingsbarns and play balcomie all day everyday.

additionally we did a couple of the rota courses
leven links(decent but wouldnt have to play again)
scotscraig, same as above

the glen golf club(north berwicks sister course very fun)
longniddry(wouldnt recommend but we were looking for a warm up round off the plane)
craigielaw(fun course and would recommend)

in order of my favorite
north berwick
balcomie
carnoustie
craighead
[size=4]craigielaw[/size]
the glen golf club
the new course
scotscraig
leven links

we never had a caddy we just bought course guides and had our lasers.
we booked everything ourselves. if you can order from a mcdonalds menu and dont mind sending an email or two i would recommend this, dont pay a tour operator, but again its just a matter of preference.
we stayed in a hostel in edinburgh and st andrews as well(we rented a whole room to ourselves).
we also rented a car
we figured we spent about 3500-4000 each in total costs.

golf is definitely different over there(loads of fun though). we all are single digit cappers and left humbled.
longniddry
[/quote]
Sounds like a great trip as well...As We started this process we knew we wanted St Andrews OLD As well as Muirfield and it's more difficult to get tee times there without local help..Not that you couldn't but we didn't want to risk not getting them. We also had breakfast included everyday and dinner On four nights. I'm definitely a shopper for price, but as a group, we had no issues spending a little more than you for the Hotels, Meals & Courses we wanted to play.

Like US, I'm sure you all had a great time enjoying the humbling world of Scottish golf!!

Looks like a great trip. Next time try Dundonald, Western Gailes, Glasgow Gailes, Royal Troon and Turnberry on the West. Irvine is great and Prestwick is errrrr odd! As a Brit I would love to come across to the US and play some of your great courses as part of my 50th celebreations in 2018. A great shame so many of your elite courses are off limits to keen players.

We did the morning round, lunch in the members dining room, afternoon alternate shot round at Muirfield on a beautiful sunny day. It is a fabulous golf course. What we found is that the people who manage the course were pompous twits, while the members couldn't have been nicer. The dining room consists of long tables so you sit with the members while eating (and tossing back a couple of scotches). The members we sat with were great, very interested in what we thought of the course (we were there the year before the Open) and invited us back anytime we were in Scotland. We had beers sitting at the window table in the lounge post round.

muirfield_2.jpg

I'll second that about Muirfield. I walked around with Justin Rose during Amateur Championship qualifying in 1998. I chatted to a member most of the way around who, having heard I had traveled some distance from Edinburgh to watch, tried to get me a clubhouse pass so I could have something to eat afterwards. By that time they had run out, so I didn't get to go inside. It turns out that he was the HCEG captain, who presented Sergio the trophy on the Saturday afternoon. The guy didn't need to interrupt his golf watching to help me out, and made me feel as welcome as he could. (I imagine the R&A take over during championship weeks, meaning that even the HCEG have to dance to their tune.)

A couple of pics from my trip:

[attachment=2411077:DSC_0078.JPG]

[attachment=2411079:DSC_0095.JPG]

EvnRoll ER9

Went to a nice resort up in the Muskokas shortly after I was back from Scotland

Receptionist is from St.Andrews and shows me a video clip of her two university buds. Swilcan Bridge, both guys blind drunk ... Strip down to their ginch and drunk #1 does a belly flop into the burn not realizing how shallow it is

Knocks out his front teeth and needs 20 stitches in the forehead

EvnRoll ER9

Nice trip report. We played courses in Fife and East Lothian in May 2013. Planned it all myself. I would also suggest that a tour operator is not needed. Buy Allan Fe[size=4]rguson's book "Golf in Scotland" and you'll have all the info you'll ever need to book your own trip and save a lot of money. The one caveat mentioned by the OP is that if you want to be certain to play the Old Course. To do so [/size][size=4]you need to apply on-line [/size][size=3]on line on the first Tuesday of September in the year before you plan to play. Otherwise you have the daily ballot or be forced to pay an exorbitant price through a travel company. The advice to get an automatic transmission rental car is also important. Driving on the left side of the very narrow roads is difficult enough without lea[/size][size=3]rning to shift left handed.[/size]

[size=3]Here is a link to photos of Dunbar, Winterfield, North Berwick, Gullane #1 , Gullane #2, Lundin, Elie, Crail Balcomie, Kingsbarns, The Old Course, The New Course, and Elie. We also [/size][size=3]took a day trip to Perthshire to play The Kings Course at GlenEagles and visit the Tullibardine Whisky distillery.[/size]

[size=3][url="https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/collections/72157633560759917/"]https://www.flickr.c...57633560759917/[/url] - East Lothian Course Photos[/size]

[size=3][url="https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/collections/72157633548001984/"]https://www.flickr.c...57633548001984/[/url] - Fife Course photos[/size]

[size=3][url="https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157633845257694/"]https://www.flickr.c...57633845257694/[/url] - GlenEagles - Kings phottos.[/size]

[size=3]PS to OP - The 13th hole at North Berwick is called "Pit" not "Wall" :-)[/size]