Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Unique golf phrases/words that you use...

Comments

• horty1388horty1388 Members Posts: 2,331
    My buddies and I play aguas, when you put one in the water and save par.

Also play corners, best total score every three holes

Liberace comment definitely wins the internet today
  • Golden DomerGolden Domer Members Posts: 35
    " I have it". " I have it today " big grin before ducking 1 st tee shot in pond
  • Air JordanAir Jordan Members Posts: 845 ✭✭
    Heard these two from a caddie at Sawgrass, been using them ever since...
    1. "Lance Armstrong Putt" - any putt where the line is "one ball left" of the cup
    2. "Split Pajamas Putt" - any putt where the line is "two balls out" from the cup
  • SixtySomePingSixtySomePing Members Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I got so tired if saying "Ono" (oh no) when I hit a bad shot, now I just say "Yoko" instead image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • Flip4000Flip4000 Never Lays Up.... Zero Fox Given Members Posts: 882
    jimmy

(walk up to the green after an approach and the ball is 3 inches back from the original pitch mark) "hey dave, looks like you got a little "jimmy" on that ball
  • Hilldo87Hilldo87 Members Posts: 210
    edited Sep 5, 2014 #37
    A "Dick out". In the group I play with. If someone miss hits a tee shot that doesn't pass the ladies/junior tee box we refer to it as a dick out. And they have to walk the rest of the hole with their dicks out.
    Taylormade M1 8.5* w/ Tour AD-DI7 x flex
    Taylormade SLDR tour spec 14* w/ Tour AD-DI7 x flex
    Titleist 712u 2 + 4 iron w/ project X 6.5
    Titleist 716 TMB 3 iron w/ x100
    Titleist 716 MB 5-PW w/ x100
    50* 54* SM5 chrome vokey both on F grind
    Scotty Cameron California Coronado
  • Duffner's WaggleDuffner's Waggle 2 off the 1st if ya need it... Members Posts: 4,517 ✭✭
    Flip4000 wrote:

jimmy

(walk up to the green after an approach and the ball is 3 inches back from the original pitch mark) "hey dave, looks like you got a little "jimmy" on that ball

haha I played with an old guy one time who spun one back on a par three and he said 'had a little **** on that one' LOL! I died laughing...he was totally game faced like it was what everyone called it....
    // Ping G400 10* | Ping Tour 75X //

// Ping G400 5W 16.5* | NVentix Nunchuk //

// Mizuno MP-H5 2i | Project X 6.5 //

// Taylormade 2016 M1 21* | NVentix Nunchuk //

// Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5-PW | Project X 6.5 //

// Mizuno MP T4 50*/54*/58* //

// Odyssey Works V-Line //
  • somaplrsomaplr Vaya con Dios, Brah Members Posts: 3,974
    me and my buddies have a "BYE FELICIA!!!!!!" saying everytime I hit driver...and probably less than 10% of the people on this site will get that reference.
    Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
    TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
    TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
    Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
    Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
    OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang
  • islesmbislesmb Myrtle Beach, SC (from Long Island)Members Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    One of our caddies on the old course called a pulled shot a Mickey Mantle, "A dead Yank"
  • GLF4EVRGLF4EVR Members Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 5, 2014 #41
    I am in a scramble tomorow & can't wait to use Liberace. It's the winner o this post. Scoring an 8 we call an unhappy snowman.

When someone hits a shot that the know is bad & say something right away; then the ball ends up just fine. This is a "nice shot Murf". Or if you are complaining about the hit & you still end up in good shape, you can expect to get a comment where you ae called Murf.

Comes from one guys cousin that we played wth years ago that would almost be complaining he would evn hit the ball. His last name was Murphy.
  • joey2acesjoey2aces not as smart as most but not as gullible either Members Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Duffner wrote:

When I play with my buddies in a scramble or 4 ball and someone hits it close, we encourage the next player to hit a "Liberace". That's when you put it inside your partner.

I just laughed out loud in a Taco Bell

Co-worker asked what was so funny I laughed so loud (He's 2 doors down the hallway)

we call a come from behind win a 'Liberace'
    Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
    2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
    M2 4h AD DI 8s
    Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
    718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
    Scratch 53 Modus 125
    Scratch 57 Modus 125
    PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

WITB Link
  • johnstitchjohnstitch Members Posts: 1,202 ✭✭
    Billy Scoop for a skied shot. Elephant's **** as in it's high and it stinks. J Arthur. J Arthur Rank as in the shot that we don't talk about.

Dead Sheep aka Still Ewe for a well short putt. A Yogi. A bare lie. A Bit Dougie. As in WW2 flying ace Douglas Bader. Short of legs...Bader was a keen Golfer btw. A Dale Winton after the rather camp UK TV presenter...it went in the back of the hole. Ahem.

Others are for the locker room only.
  • From_Parts_UnknownFrom_Parts_Unknown Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    somaplr wrote:

me and my buddies have a "BYE FELICIA!!!!!!" saying everytime I hit driver...and probably less than 10% of the people on this site will get that reference.

I'm guessing your driver is broke?

NSFW explanation for the 90%:

• Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 5, 2014 #45
    Can't beat Liberace, but...

Capt. Kirk: A drive that sails off into the deep woods, boldly going where no man has ever gone before.

Forrest Gump: Screaming "Run, Forest, Run!" at a thinned or sculled tee shot that rolls forever

Octomom: A snowman

Double Par: Self explanatory. 'Sound better than taking an Octomom on a par 4.

Legitimate Par: Used with a) bogie golfers who manage an actual par, b) a partner who insists on 6 foot gimmies, and actually makes the putt when denied the gimmie, or c) parring a hole after taking a mulligan, e.g. "Gee, next time I'll get a legitimate par".
  • MikeMurrantMikeMurrant Members Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    We use this one a bit back home when your putt lips out. A "Prom Putt". All lip, no hole.
  • ReasonabilityReasonability Mirror work is a good idea. Members Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^^ HAAA!!!!
    A cynic sees the cost of everything
    and the value of nothing.
  • hh2ndhh2nd Members Posts: 365 ✭✭✭✭
    An LPGAer is a putt that goes both ways
    Cobra Fly-Z 9.5*
    Mizuno JPX 850 17*
    Mizuno CLK Fli Hi 20*
    Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-PW
    Mizuno MP-T4 52*/Titleist Vokey SM5 56* and 60*
    Piretti Potenza II
  • Golden DomerGolden Domer Members Posts: 35
    Hilldo87 wrote:

A "Dick out". In the group I play with. If someone miss hits a tee shot that doesn't pass the ladies/junior tee box we refer to it as a dick out. And they have to walk the rest of the hole with their dicks out.

Maybe you should say p**** instead ?
  • LaggingBehindLaggingBehind Members Posts: 655
    When someone leaves a putt well short, one person in the group inevitibly yells "Hit it with your purse next time!"
  • LaBraeGolferLaBraeGolfer Members Posts: 794 ✭✭
    Played a high school match with my golf buddy, to this day, this kid would yell eat when he wanted his ball to stop. Kid explained that he wanted the ball to get fat and heavy so it would stop. So I occasionally yell "eat" other than that I try to stay traditional so that people don't look at me wondering what I am talking about.
    Cobra LTD Stock Stiff
    Adams F11 Ti 15 UST Elements Wind 6F4
    Adams A7 3 hybrid Stock Stiff
    Adams CMB 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey TI SM5 56/10 and 60/8 M Grind TI S400
    Ping Redwood Anser
  • Bluefish94Bluefish94 Members Posts: 49 ✭✭
    When someone leaves a putt well short, one person in the group inevitibly yells "Hit it with your purse next time!"

Or does your husband play Alice?

Sent from my iPhone using GolfWRX Mobile
  • golftejasgolftejas Members Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭
    Warning Track Power: When someone leaves a putt short, right on the lip
  • 1iron1iron Members Posts: 459
    Love this thread. In a college English class I wrote a paper only using golf speak.

It continues on.

We love to use golf speak in everyday situations. Instead of saying "when" to stop something like a pour, we use "bite". Left turn = "hook it at the light". Dinner reservation = 8pm tee time. The list goes on...
  • miket_81miket_81 Members Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Several years ago A guy that had quite a big ego that has now sadly passed hit a drive down the middle of the fairway about 240 yards. He saluted it and went "SEE YA!" with all seriousness and a little gusto.. Now any time anyone in our group hits a good drive it is customary for him or someone to yell that in a loud low tone.

We have an old guy that plays in our money group. When he makes a bogey on a par 4 he will always grab the ball and say "F-F"

One of my favorite south parks is "Butters Bottom b****" I love the scene where Sgt Yates yells "give it to me". So I always yell that when I hit a shot that looks like it is right at the pin or even when one of my teammates do." The guys in our group got a big kick out of it and it has kind of taken hold. Never a good thing when you hear "give it to me" the next hole over...
    Go to attached link for $20 off your first order at ShortPar4.com
    http://shortpar4.refr.cc/6DC52RQ
  • cen_14cen_14 Members Posts: 34 ✭✭
    When someone's putt lips out, we call it a Lewinsky.
  • somaplrsomaplr Vaya con Dios, Brah Members Posts: 3,974
    somaplr wrote:

I'm guessing your driver is broke?

NSFW explanation for the 90%:

No it's because I hit it and it goes bye bye
    Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
    TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
    TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
    Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
    Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
    OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang
  • sailfishchrissailfishchris Long Island NYMembers, ClubWRX Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Playing at Marine Park in Brooklyn with a buddy. We were partnered with two local guys who after a good drive would look to each other and say "that's O D !" . After a few holes we finally bite.... both guys reply .....that drive, that's out-dere!
    Ping G400 LST 8.5 Synergy Proto 65TX
    Ping G400 14.5 Tensei Pro Orange 80 TX
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Super Peening Blue X
    Vokey SM5 raw 52, 56, 60 DGTI-s400
    Toulon Memphis
    ProV1X / TP5X
    Jones Utility Trouper
  • knockdstiffknockdstiff Members Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Putt left severely short:

"Did the putter get caught in your skirt?"
  • SixtySomePingSixtySomePing Members Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never had one, but on a par 3, should you hit your first tee shot into the pond, then ace your follow up shot, it would definitely be a "Belated Mulligan"...
  • freddy1682freddy1682 Members Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Whenever someone in the group hits it into the trees, we say "spit it out Monica".

A pulled shot is a DiMaggio (dead yank).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file