Unique golf phrases/words that you use...

123457»

Comments

• hubleehublee Members  122WRX Points: 81Posts: 122 Fairways

Skied shots, one of my buddy's says higher than a bus load of hippies. And we say for a shot that needs to go, skip and go naked or run like you stole something.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • 1puttTUT1puttTUT Lefty with occasional game Members  3560WRX Points: 242Handicap: 3.8Posts: 3,560 Titanium Tees

Helicopter, aka a "ghetto bird" (makes sense if you're familiar with the rapper ice cube) - making a birdie you don't deserve due to hitting your drive OB, chunking your approach, etc.

Driver flop - skymarking your drive and therefore hitting it super high and short. I have a buddy that does this so often it has become his nickname.

Beermax - taking the max allowable score on a hole so you can give up and return to the cart to drink beer; i.e "I've already had to drop twice so I'm just going to take beermax on this hole".

Mazel Tov - when you're playing in a scramble and your buddy is feeling it on the greens so you put him in the anchor spot because he has "the eye of the jew" (it's a reference from the movie Beerfest). My buddy pulled this off once, claiming he had the eye of the jew, then drained a 30 foot slider for eagle. I drunkenly blurted out "Mazel Tov" and we all died laughing so it stuck.

Friends with benefits zone - when your playing partner is getting a stroke in a team game and hits a shot or lags a putt into "the friend's zone" getting your team a win even though you didn't contribute at all.

Posted:
    Cobra F8 10.5D w/ Hazardous Yellow
    Cobra F8 16* w/ Aldila Blue 2KXVs
    Titleist 915H 18* w/Aldila Rogue 95MSI
    Titleist 913H 21* w/Diamana 92Hy
    Titleist 915H 24* w/Diamana 92Hy
    Mizuno 919F 66-GW w/Nippon Modus3 105s
    Titleist Vokey SM6 54*/58* w/ Nippon Modus3 125s
    TP Mills Trad II roundneck
  • mark174acemark174ace Members  160WRX Points: 72Handicap: 5Posts: 160 Fairways

When I was young back in the 1980's and we would see someone slam dunk their approach shot directly into the hole we called it a Gorilla. Does anyone happen to remember that actually being called a Gorilla, or did we just make it up? I haven't thought about it in years until I just saw this thread.

Posted:
  • Warrior42111Warrior42111 FloridaMembers  404WRX Points: 219Handicap: 19Posts: 404 Greens

Anytime you short side yourself is a flopatunity

Posted:

Taylormade M6 10.5| Project X Even Flow Black X 6.5
    Taylormade M4 Tour 15 * |Mitsubishi Tensei CK White 70 X
    Ping G400 18
    | PING Alta CB 65 Stiff
    Callaway Apex 19 4-PW | Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 X
    Callaway MD4 48* / 54* / 59* | Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 X
    Odyssey Stroke Lab, Toulon Memphis 34"

• JayGordJayGord Emmaus, PAMembers  95WRX Points: 36Handicap: 3.5Posts: 95 Fairways

My group just says "she gone" but more like "che ghawn" for when my one buddy who is as big as a ox drives his ball 300+ yards 79degrees to his right

Posted:
  • lchanglchang Members  743WRX Points: 186Handicap: 11Posts: 743 Golden Tee

When you're fading shot is becoming a slicing shot toward the hazard or OB line, we like to yell "Hold... HOLD!!! HOOOOLD!!!" a la Braveheart.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • fpyle3fpyle3 PennsylvaniaMembers  189WRX Points: 112Handicap: +0.6Posts: 189 Fairways

“Two Chips Chen” for the infamous double hit on a chip or pitch shot, made famous by TC Chen at the 1985 US Open

Posted:
    Driver: TM SIM 9*, Fuji Ventus Black 6X
    Fairway Wood: TM SIM 14*, Fuji Ventus Blue 7X
    Hybrid: TM SIM Max 19*, Tensei Pro White 90S
    4-9 iron: Miura CB57, KBS C-Taper Lite X 
    PW, GW: Titleist SM8, KBS C-Taper Lite X
    Sand, Lob: Titleist SM8, Dynamic Gold 120 S400 Tour Issue
    Putter: Toulon Las Vegas, Stroke Lab 
    Ball: Titleist ProV1, Titleist AVX
  • HackDaddy360HackDaddy360 VP of Dadding Members  129WRX Points: 83Posts: 129 Fairways
    • The Gunch. “I slapped it out in the gunch on 15”
    • Full Flaps. Used when the ball needs to get down.
    • DIMB. Pronounced “Dim-bee” or “dim-beed”. Acronym for —— in my ——. Use your imagination. In a sentence - “I got totally DIMB’ed on 8 behind a tree.” Not PC and I can thank my HS golf coach for that one.
    • For three putts... three wiggle, three jacked, three slapped, etc.
    • Teen ****. Usually used after you hit a putt way too hard/blew it way by the hole. “It went off in my hands like teen ****”
    • Gatted it. Said after pounding a tee shot “gatted that one”.
    • A Larry. Reference to someone who is not keeping pace, being unchill, acting petulant or thinks they know more about the game than they do “That guy was a such a Larry”.
    • A Richard. Long-hand for another name. “That dude was being a Richard out there”.
    • The Cack. Used interchangeably with gunch.
    • Pellets. Range balls.
    • Fat Beaver. Used when you got real deep with a high lofted wedge and took out a sizeable divot. “You really got down on that one - solid fat beaver”
    • Nuked. Hit it hard.
    • Raw Dogged. Usually when you hit a really good shot or hit a sick recovery shot. “You raw dogged that one, bro”.
    • Taking the big meat deep. Long tee shot.
    • Sucky sucky one more time. Typically said after someone pulls the string with a solid wedge shot and backs the ball up near the hole.
    • Yo-yo Artist. Someone who’s on the birdie/bogey train or having an up and down round.
    • T1tties and beer. When you hit a number of consistently good, solid golf shots. “You’re t1tties and beer today man - consistently good”

The list could go on. I’ll probably get banned or offend someone but - the question was asked - and these are my answers.

And yes, the first time I dropped a sick recovery shot on the course with my wife playing with me and she said “you raw dogged that one!” meant it and said it in a conversational tone I did laugh out loud. She’s a keeper.

Posted:
  • hitemstr8rhitemstr8r Members  22WRX Points: 18Posts: 22 Bunkers

I just spent the last several minutes reading all of these and laughing at my computer screen. Fantastic

Posted:
  • C6 SnowboarderC6 Snowboarder Members  112WRX Points: 58Handicap: 6.6Posts: 112 Fairways

Our Favorite is off the Tee box -- if it is long and straight down the Middle it is called a Martha Stewart - as in that is just PERFECT!.

if the Tee shot is a bad on we say " That is a Caitlyn Jenner -- for it is "Good from Afar but Far from Good"

Posted:

14 Clubs - Good ones

• 1puttTUT1puttTUT Lefty with occasional game Members  3560WRX Points: 242Handicap: 3.8Posts: 3,560 Titanium Tees

Long and girthy - when someone bombs a drive with a huge draw that starts at one side of the fairway and curves across ending up on the far other side. Meaning he it long and it also took up the entire width of the fairway.

Posted:
    Cobra F8 10.5D w/ Hazardous Yellow
    Cobra F8 16* w/ Aldila Blue 2KXVs
    Titleist 915H 18* w/Aldila Rogue 95MSI
    Titleist 913H 21* w/Diamana 92Hy
    Titleist 915H 24* w/Diamana 92Hy
    Mizuno 919F 66-GW w/Nippon Modus3 105s
    Titleist Vokey SM6 54*/58* w/ Nippon Modus3 125s
    TP Mills Trad II roundneck

Advertisement
  • Yank8823Yank8823 Yank Members  81WRX Points: 67Handicap: 11Posts: 81 Fairways

Well done, just read these at LOL'd at work to myself... We say a few of these at home track, and maybe I can add a few more to our normal game.

Posted:
  • DinoD90DinoD90 Members  16WRX Points: 11Posts: 16 Bunkers

Right down Broad St.

The common saying is Right down Broadway, but I'm a Philadelphian who lives in NYC and can confirm Broadway is not straight by any means, whereas Broad St. on the other hand is straight as can be.

Posted:
  • A.PrinceyA.Princey Major Hacker Members  2501WRX Points: 501Handicap: 3Posts: 2,501 Titanium Tees

"HEEL, Cinnamon!!!!!" - For a wayward drive (Step Bros.)

Same guy who launches drives that necessitate the above phrase also tends to balloon the ball on occasion. I usually just say, "That one's in the Jetstream", or "Jetstream ball...."

Posted:

'16 M2 10.5*, Fuji Pro TS 63X 43.5"
    Cobra F8 5/6w 18.5*, Fuji Pro Xlr8 TS 61X  42.5"
    Ping G410 2 Cross 17*, Project X SD 5.5
    '17 Cobra OS  4-G, XP85 R300
    Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400
    "Rusty" Byron DH89 Pipeneck, 34" (or any of 10 2 other putters...)

B330-RX

• rawdograwdog Cleveland, OHMembers  3051WRX Points: 150Handicap: 5.2Posts: 3,051 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
    Cobra LTD Driver
    Aldila Rogue Black, 9.5*
    On -, @44.5"

In1Zone Single Length Fairway Woods
    Graffaloy ProLaunch Axis Blue
    On -, @41.5" 5W = 19*

Graffaloy ProLaunch Axis Blue
    On -, @41.5" 7W = 23*

Cobra F7 One Length Irons
    Nippon Modus 105 Stiff @ 36.5"
    6I = 24* 7I = 29* 8I = 34* 9I = 39* PW = 44* GW = 49* SW = 54* LW = 59*
    Odyssey #9 HT Metal X Milled
    On -, @33.5"

Maxfli SoftFli
  • moorekl89moorekl89 Members  13WRX Points: 20Posts: 13 Bunkers

Smashed Potatoes makes me LOL every time i hear it. Next time I am at a Tour event, I plan to yell it when Phil bombs it.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • avgjoe88avgjoe88 Members  39WRX Points: 41Posts: 39 Bunkers

F * * K!

Posted:
  • augustgolfaugustgolf Golf with dignity Coastal NCMembers  3963WRX Points: 278Posts: 3,963 Titanium Tees

I limit myself to using that particluar unique word to 25 times on the greens, times on the tee, and 50 times with approaches.

I developed these limits based on accurate record keeping of how many times I actually use this word during a round.

Glad to know at least other person shares my affinity for this word

Posted:
    Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
  • cflo2382cflo2382 SE MichiganMembers  472WRX Points: 121Posts: 472 Greens

Awesome thread. One of my favorites that my buddies and I use when someone misses a putt: "Right club, though.. Right club".

Posted:

<14

G400 LST 10* / HZRDUS Smoke 70x

New Level HB 4995 18* / HZRDUS Red 105x

Srixon Z-Forged 5i (26*), 7i (34*), 9i (42*) / DG TI X100

PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 58* / DG TI S400

Cleveland HB Soft 8.5

IOmic Sticky Mids / ProV1x / Vessel Sunday 2.0

• golfandcarsgolfandcars Members  133WRX Points: 50Posts: 133 Fairways

I have a couple that i have heard over years.

When i was a kid i used to play with my grandfathers group, i called them the old geezers, one of them smacked a drive straight down the middle one day and turned around to the group and said that was a blondie, a good crack right down the middle. Took me several years to realize what he meant, but i use that one all the time now.

A couple years ago we were on a golf trip to pebble with some customers, bad golfers, we were playing spyglass and one of the guys blasts a shot right through the center of a healthy tree, it goes through without touching anything and he turns and says, trees are 90% air. Our caddie doesnt miss a beat and says so is a screen door, anytime someone says that around me now i always clap back with that line.

Dammit, I had another one but i forgot it before i could finish reading this thread...

Posted:
  • sheppy335sheppy335 TMAG Junkie Members  6469WRX Points: 188Handicap: 19Posts: 6,469 Titanium Tees

If you ball ends up touching another ball on the green we call it a "Rock Hudson"

A hard lip out is a "Monica Lewinsky"

Posted:
    TM M5 Tour 430 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li
    TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
    TM SIM 19 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
    TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
    TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
    TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
    TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
    TM Milled Grind Satin 58 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.

Advertisement
  • RealNickGRealNickG Members  31WRX Points: 21Handicap: +2Posts: 31 Bunkers

If you hit an actual good shot, I will say "good shot".

If you hit a good shot for YOU, but not necessarily and actual good shot I'll just say "shot".

It sounds almost the same and is accepted as such.

Posted:
  • flip flappyflip flappy Members  1007WRX Points: 191Posts: 1,007 Platinum Tees

When some one hits a good shot, " I say hey man nice shot, what a good shot man", after the song that Filter did.

When someone really goes after it on the tee box, " You gave that all your lovin, all your hugs and kisses too", ZZ Top song.

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 10.5
    Ping G400 5 wood
    Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
    Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
    Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select
  • J_carpJ_carp Members  77WRX Points: 57Handicap: 1Posts: 77 Fairways

Played with an older guy one time that referred to the really fast greens we were playing on as being “slicker than **** on a gold tooth” and I kept catching myself chuckling for the last 6 holes of the day afterwards.

Posted:
  • Birdie MacBirdie Mac Members  678WRX Points: 337Posts: 678 Golden Tee

Skull a chip or power a putt past the hole and off the green? Follow it with "Better than most...better than most...better than most!!!"

Posted:
  • Birdie MacBirdie Mac Members  678WRX Points: 337Posts: 678 Golden Tee
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.