Top 100 Courses in Canada

cardoustie

http://scoregolf.com...op-100-ranking/

Guys,

How many of the current top 100 courses have you played in Canada? Was surprised to see I have 46 of the 100 under my belt from the 2014 list.

Should be 57 but over the years I have turned down a bunch of invites from good friends that are members at 11 more of the courses

Just checked worldwide top 100 on Golf Digest. I only have 11 of those beauties

(NOTE: Idea stolen from top courses by State thread)

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just played #14 on the list, The Links at Crowbush Cove on PEI this past month. My wife and I played a twilight round in 25-30 mph wind and mist. Definitely felt like Ocean Links golf. You don't see the ocean until number 6 and then you come back inland for a few holes before going back out along the ocean to once again finish inland. Their #17 hole seems out of place, like they were building the course and forgot they needed to make 18 holes as it is a 95 yd uphill par 3 that was just wedged in there. The resort the course is located at was a nice place to stay, room was good and food in bar and clubhouse was tasty. We were there on a Sunday so it wasn't too busy as everyone was heading home for the week. We did have the outdoor hot tub to ourselves :) For two rounds of golf, rental clubs and cart, one night stay and lunch and supper for each of us was $560 CDN, but worth it. Being from North Dakota it was a cool experience (we were in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia for a wedding). We are going to go back to PEI again and probably try to play Green Gables Golf Club and then play down in Halifax where our friends live.

[quote name='MNGolfer03' timestamp='1409862857' post='10065451']
I just played #14 on the list, The Links at Crowbush Cove on PEI this past month. My wife and I played a twilight round in 25-30 mph wind and mist. Definitely felt like Ocean Links golf. You don't see the ocean until number 6 and then you come back inland for a few holes before going back out along the ocean to once again finish inland. Their #17 hole seems out of place, like they were building the course and forgot they needed to make 18 holes as it is a 95 yd uphill par 3 that was just wedged in there. The resort the course is located at was a nice place to stay, room was good and food in bar and clubhouse was tasty. We were there on a Sunday so it wasn't too busy as everyone was heading home for the week. We did have the outdoor hot tub to ourselves :) For two rounds of golf, rental clubs and cart, one night stay and lunch and supper for each of us was $560 CDN, but worth it. Being from North Dakota it was a cool experience (we were in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia for a wedding). We are going to go back to PEI again and probably try to play Green Gables Golf Club and then play down in Halifax where our friends live.
[/quote]

Great reply

Agree w all you've said

EvnRoll ER9

[quote name='WalleyeDave' timestamp='1409866958' post='10065823']
There's 100 courses in Canada ?
[/quote]

Walleye,
I think we have more courses per capita than the USA
I have 35+ courses within 25minutes of my house

EvnRoll ER9

i haven't played a ton, the east coast ones like crowbush, dundarave.... royal Montreal, Beaconsfield (i live next door), Le Geant and Le Diable i've played probably 20 times each. Le Maitre is also up there and i've played that...i guess that's 7 there, i think that's it. I can play rideau view any time i want i just haven't yet

The list...i mean obviously there's not necessarily any rhyme or reason to it. Le Geant is probably my least favorite course in Mont Tremblant of the big 4 there. I consider La Bete a better course. Le Diable is certainly better and fairer yet it consistently gets ranked worse

Beaconsfield is a fine course. But i know a lot of golfers that would have many courses in Quebec higher. My home course has never been in the top 100 and it's better then Beaconsfield IMO, it's certainly tougher

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

It's just interesting because when you've played them it makes you appreciate how the Golf Digest lists of the US are probably largely open to interpretation and bias, or reviews from people who played them years ago.

Le Geant in Mont Tremblant....not to harp on it but i just don't see what people see in that course. It's got elevation changes for the sake of elevation changes, it drains terribly, it's got a few holes that are exactly alike....it's best feature is the 18th hole which truly is a fabulous hole (460yds with a drive over a canyon, and then a second shot that's like 80yds downhill)...but the rest of the course is very mehh...I have many friends that would rather play my club then drive up there.

If clubs like the Falcon in Hudson QC, The Irish Course at Ile Montreal, or Quatre Domaines #2 were up in Tremblant i guess they'd be in the top 60 aswell

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1409878227' post='10066873']
It's just interesting because when you've played them it makes you appreciate how the Golf Digest lists of the US are probably largely open to interpretation and bias, or reviews from people who played them years ago.

Le Geant in Mont Tremblant....not to harp on it but i just don't see what people see in that course. It's got elevation changes for the sake of elevation changes, it drains terribly, it's got a few holes that are exactly alike....it's best feature is the 18th hole which truly is a fabulous hole (460yds with a drive over a canyon, and then a second shot that's like 80yds downhill)...but the rest of the course is very mehh...I have many friends that would rather play my club then drive up there.

If clubs like the Falcon in Hudson QC, The Irish Course at Ile Montreal, or Quatre Domaines #2 were up in Tremblant i guess they'd be in the top 60 aswell
[/quote]

Agree Jeff

Geant was in a neat setting but there are lots better in the Great White North

EvnRoll ER9

Le Diable #1 (the iron shot)

Le Geant #18 (the driver, this truly is one of the best holes in Canada, drive over a canyon, the hole goes right and like 70-80 yards downhill to the green)

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Big fat Zero for me so far lol, I Thought Glen Arbor might have been on the list somewhere but I didn't see it. I played there once a couples years ago, it's really nice. Biggest thing I remember about it was how soft the fairways felt under my feet compared to the courses I'm used to playing.

It's cool to see little old Nova Scotia with 2 courses in the top 10 though, and 3 on the list in total that I saw anyways. Not bad considering were the second smallest Province :)

Great thread Uncle Cardy ;)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[/quote]

Any idea when and where you might be playing in Halifax??

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

The main problem with Canada's "top" courses is that sooooo many of them are private.
With the exception of Sagebrush there are no public courses in Canada within 8 hours of where I'm from (Vancouver) that I'm super keen to play.

Once they open up the 2nd 18 at Cabot Links, take those two courses and Highland Links and that makes for a heckuva destination in N.S. :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1409888074' post='10067877']
The main problem with Canada's "top" courses is that sooooo many of them are private.
With the exception of Sagebrush there are no public courses in Canada within 8 hours of where I'm from (Vancouver) that I'm super keen to play.

Once they open up the 2nd 18 at Cabot Links, take those two courses and Highland Links and that makes for a heckuva destination in N.S. :)
[/quote]

Ummm, not sure what you're looking for but you've got Tobiano, Nicklaus North, Big Sky, Chateau Whistler, both Bear Mountain courses and both Predator courses within 5 hours?

Oops, forgot Tower Ranch too. ;)

I've played some of those others and yes they are good courses, but they don't have me going to sleep the night before playing them all Christmas Eve giddy.

Not trying to be a negative nelly about them, just that a lot of the ones I would be really keen on are private or that extra lot further away :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1409888074' post='10067877']

[/quote]

Best place in the world to be as long as you dont mind the weather changing every 15 minutes :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

I am also going to do Cabot when course 2 opens

Dying to do Bandon Dunes as well

.. and an Ireland trip (as I have Scotland under the belt)

Seems I have played a lot more courses than most people I know over the last 34 yrs. About 450 different ones and 200+ in Ontario alone

EvnRoll ER9

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1409883841' post='10067515']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Don't know when we are going to be back, Id like to go again next summer, but wife has visions of a Disney trip for our daughter. My pal who lives in Halifax usually plays Chester Golf Club. Looks like a nice track.

It's wonderful to see so many courses from the early 1900's on that list!

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

personally I don't think the score golf top 100 represents the best courses very well. If Banff is so high (6) theres no way Stewart Creek should be so much behind it (35). Right now I'm at 11 on the list and am a member at 2. (well won't be a member at VGC this winter as I'm staying out in Calgary for school, bittersweet).

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

[quote name='MNGolfer03' timestamp='1409932301' post='10070265']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Don't know when we are going to be back, Id like to go again next summer, but wife has visions of a Disney trip for our daughter. My pal who lives in Halifax usually plays Chester Golf Club. Looks like a nice track.
[/quote]

I've never played it myself but I've heard great things about Chester golf course, it's an all around nice area actually :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1410209464' post='10085543']
[quote name='MNGolfer03' timestamp='1409932301' post='10070265']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I've never played it myself but I've heard great things about Chester golf course, it's an all around nice area actually :)
[/quote]

Played the NS Amateur there once upon a time....the holes along the coast are some of the best.... one of the underrated courses IMO

TSR 3 9.5° Tour AD XC 6 X
TSR 3 15° Tour AD DI 8 X

T-200 (3) Modus 3 125 X

T-100 (4-PW) Modus 3 125 X
SM9 (50°,55°,60°) Modus 3 125 S
Special Select - Newport 2
Pro V1X

WITB Pics