2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Jim Venetos golf swing?

garyt

[quote name='Tanner25' timestamp='1410224251' post='10086791']
[quote name='garyt' timestamp='1410220357' post='10086425']
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ6h8RP-JeM"]https://www.youtube....h?v=RQ6h8RP-JeM[/url]

Anybody try this swing? Definitely different and intriguing.
[/quote]

stack n tiltesh, seems potentially painful and tough on the body
[/quote]

I didn't have the sound on and I took it for a joke video. Are you telling me that guy is serious?

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

Looks like a good drill to teach a slicer to hit slinging hooks.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

One of my long time friends and playing buddies has played like that for years. Always aimed way right, big sweeping hooks and he's never broken 80.
My buddy has no fear of starting a drive 40 yards out over a lake as he knows it will eventually hook back into play. He even hooks his longer wedge shots ...

• Haha 1

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

This swing does eliminate a number of mistakes in the golf swing
No sway ,no slide of the hips going down.no spin .insufficient weight on the left side side at impact , among others.

With the poor advice available from most sources on the internet and the failure of in person instruction to help most golfers,the ideas presented in this video might actually help the average golfer

While certainly outside the conventional box, the swing sure makes sense in many ways and based on many of the swings we all see out on the course or on the range, more than a few golfer's could benefit from at least trying to draw the ball.

Like some posters above, I play regularly with a guy that aims about 40 yds right, plays the ball way back in his stance, comes a bit over the top and hits laser beams. Unfortunately, the laser beams extend all the way down to the wedges. He hits the crap out of the driver. He can't hit anything between the driver and the 4 iron consistently and everything from the 4 iron down is flighted like a punch shot. He always brags how far he hits his irons. Of course you can hit your irons far when you deloft them 2 clubs higher. No distance control, no consistency, and he literally can't pitch a ball.

He kicks our a** when the wind hits 30 mph plus.

[quote name='russc' timestamp='1410274156' post='10089273']
No sway ,no slide of the hips going down.no spin .insufficient weight on the left side side at impact , among others.

With the poor advice available from most sources on the internet and the failure of in person instruction to help most golfers,the ideas presented in this video might actually help the average golfer
[/quote]

I am no swing expert, so I will bounce this off you. Isn't he, in essence, just pre-setting the impact position?

Somewhat intriguing, especially if someone has mobility issues. Should work ok with irons, probably give up a club length. I perused his videos and I could never find him demonstrating his driver swing. Anyone have video of that? This was closest I could find:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJkKwnchrHA

And then there is this (how about you show us your power, Jim?):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9V_HDR0jbg

Reducing spin creates power? Oh boy...

[/quote]

Russc,

As a swayer and lifter in the backswing. This is tempting. But, does it sound like it would put a large amount of pressure on a knee or back? I tried the sevam1 screwgee years ago and came out of it with 2 months of knee pain.

Tanner

[quote name='Tanner25' timestamp='1410303470' post='10092035']

[/quote]

Russc,

As a swayer and lifter in the backswing. This is tempting. But, does it sound like it would put a large amount of pressure on a knee or back? I tried the sevam1 screwgee years ago and came out of it with 2 months of knee pain.

Tanner
[/quote]
The move suggested by Sevam does potentially put a lot of torque on your knee,so injuries could result.
Most back injuries happen at the lower spine,because the lower spine is designed for stability and not for rotational or lateral movement .The more that golfers try to either rotate or move their lower spine laterally like in the reverse C follow thru or having considerable knee flex past impact the more likely back problems.will result
There looks to be very little rotational or lateral movement in this swing

[quote name='russc' timestamp='1410370203' post='10096137']
[quote name='Tanner25' timestamp='1410303470' post='10092035']

[/quote]

Russc,

Tanner
[/quote]
The move suggested by Sevam does potentially put a lot of torque on your knee,so injuries could result.
Most back injuries happen at the lower spine,because the lower spine is designed for stability and not for rotational or lateral movement .The more that golfers try to either rotate or move their lower spine laterally like in the reverse C follow thru or having considerable knee flex past impact the more likely back problems.will result
There looks to be very little rotational or lateral movement in this swing
[/quote]

Thanks, Russc

Hi All,

Glad to see I'm a part of your discussion & I'm glad to answer any questions you might have, I'll start with a few that I have already read.

The Hook - First, I don't teach people to hit a 40 yard hook. The swing I teach produces a tight draw(2-3 yards max). The miss of my swing is a wide hook, but that's the miss and that means that your misses will still end up back at target line. Another important characteristic of the miss is that your misses will never slice which allows you to eliminate one half of the course.

Presetting - Someone mentioned that I am presetting impact, Correct! I'm presetting the back swing, impact, the path of the club and the contact of the shot. This reduces responsibility on the golfer during the swing providing more consistency and ease of performance.

Power and the driver - Without a weight shift it may seem that power is decreased but in fact it's the opposite, power is increased. This is because power doesn't come from speed of the club, it comes from flexing the shaft and reducing spin. How the shaft flexes is by creating a circular swing. When you hold your weight still throughout the swing, a circular swing is easily created as your weight holds the center of the circle still. This circular swing flexes the shaft which gives you the first component of power. Then the closed set up position gives you a shallow path which reduces spin on the ball. It's the combination of these two factors that produces consistent and abundant power. All of my students experience a substantial increase in power throughout the bag and, personally, I have 118 mph club head speed with driver with a mid launch angle and 1800 revs of spin. And, to prove that this swing is powerful I entered one remax long drive qualifier to see how I stacked up against the pros. I hit 5 out of 6 balls in the grid at 393, 391, 389, 387, 386(also, I wore my chuck taylor's, I teed the ball low and I never swung hard because I wanted to see what my stock swing would produce). I finished 6th out of 26 & missed qualifying by 6 yards but I proved my point of consistent power. Someone in this forum scoffed at the idea that decreasing spin increases power. I'd like to hear his explanation of that. The whole purpose for the new concept of hitting up on the driver is to reduce spin on the ball but hitting up has 2 flaws; 1, you have to learn how to make one swing for driver and one swing for the rest of your clubs, and, 2, the trajectory is too high making the shot vulnerable to wind.

Back or knee pressure - I've had this swing proven bio-mechanically sound by a USC bio-kinesiologist. This is because the swing I teach is centered at the left shoulder and not the spine. The left shoulder is well equipped to handle the circular motion of the swing but ironically the spine is not. This is because the spine doesn't twist, yet in the traditional swing you are asked to rotate the shoulders around the spine. It is this rotation in the traditional swing that cause stress, pain and fatigue on the spine. Don't believe me, look at Jason Day, Tiger or your buddy who's back hurts when he golfs.

My target audience - Any golfer who has come to the realization that the traditional view points on the swing are too difficult to perform consistently. Any golfer who is tired of changing their swing thoughts everyday. Any golfer who has realized that golf mags are constantly contradicting themselves when they provide instruction. Any golfer who is frustrated of thinking the "have it" today only to come out tomorrow to find that they have to start all over again. Any golfer that thinks their handicap should be a lot lower than it is. Any golfer who is confused by the "snake oil salesman" that are spewing their illogical rhetoric about golf instruction. If traditional swing instruction actually worked, don't you think the average golfer would be better by now?

I teach you a set up that predetermines the path and contact for your swing so all you have to do is hold your weight still to produce a powerful and consistent swing. The position creates the action.

Glad to answer any questions you might have,
Jim

• Like 4

i'm a huge proponent of target-favored rotational swings like you see mike bender, sean foley, and snt advocate. that said, i'm highly skeptical of your swing. can you post a video of your driver swing with this model? i'd love to see it in action.

R1 Graphite Design YS6 Nano Reloaded S
Tight Lies 16.5 Aldila Tour Blue 65
Idea Super 22/25 Fujikura Pro 63 R
PING I25 5-PW Aerotech SF i95 R
Rotex 2.0 52-2/56-2/60-1 KBS TourV 100 R
Odyssey Metal-X #7 Arm-lock 40"

[quote name='Jimvenetos' timestamp='1410544266' post='10107629']
Hi All,

Glad to see I'm a part of your discussion & I'm glad to answer any questions you might have, I'll start with a few that I have already read.

The Hook - First, I don't teach people to hit a 40 yard hook. The swing I teach produces a tight draw(2-3 yards max). The miss of my swing is a wide hook, but that's the miss and that means that your misses will still end up back at target line. Another important characteristic of the miss is that your misses will never slice which allows you to eliminate one half of the course.

Presetting - Someone mentioned that I am presetting impact, Correct! I'm presetting the back swing, impact, the path of the club and the contact of the shot. This reduces responsibility on the golfer during the swing providing more consistency and ease of performance.

Power and the driver - Without a weight shift it may seem that power is decreased but in fact it's the opposite, power is increased. This is because power doesn't come from speed of the club, it comes from flexing the shaft and reducing spin. How the shaft flexes is by creating a circular swing. When you hold your weight still throughout the swing, a circular swing is easily created as your weight holds the center of the circle still. This circular swing flexes the shaft which gives you the first component of power. Then the closed set up position gives you a shallow path which reduces spin on the ball. It's the combination of these two factors that produces consistent and abundant power. All of my students experience a substantial increase in power throughout the bag and, personally, I have 118 mph club head speed with driver with a mid launch angle and 1800 revs of spin. And, to prove that this swing is powerful I entered one remax long drive qualifier to see how I stacked up against the pros. I hit 5 out of 6 balls in the grid at 393, 391, 389, 387, 386(also, I wore my chuck taylor's, I teed the ball low and I never swung hard because I wanted to see what my stock swing would produce). I finished 6th out of 26 & missed qualifying by 6 yards but I proved my point of consistent power. Someone in this forum scoffed at the idea that decreasing spin increases power. I'd like to hear his explanation of that. The whole purpose for the new concept of hitting up on the driver is to reduce spin on the ball but hitting up has 2 flaws; 1, you have to learn how to make one swing for driver and one swing for the rest of your clubs, and, 2, the trajectory is too high making the shot vulnerable to wind.

Back or knee pressure - I've had this swing proven bio-mechanically sound by a USC bio-kinesiologist. This is because the swing I teach is centered at the left shoulder and not the spine. The left shoulder is well equipped to handle the circular motion of the swing but ironically the spine is not. This is because the spine doesn't twist, yet in the traditional swing you are asked to rotate the shoulders around the spine. It is this rotation in the traditional swing that cause stress, pain and fatigue on the spine. Don't believe me, look at Jason Day, Tiger or your buddy who's back hurts when he golfs.

My target audience - Any golfer who has come to the realization that the traditional view points on the swing are too difficult to perform consistently. Any golfer who is tired of changing their swing thoughts everyday. Any golfer who has realized that golf mags are constantly contradicting themselves when they provide instruction. Any golfer who is frustrated of thinking the "have it" today only to come out tomorrow to find that they have to start all over again. Any golfer that thinks their handicap should be a lot lower than it is. Any golfer who is confused by the "snake oil salesman" that are spewing their illogical rhetoric about golf instruction. If traditional swing instruction actually worked, don't you think the average golfer would be better by now?

I teach you a set up that predetermines the path and contact for your swing so all you have to do is hold your weight still to produce a powerful and consistent swing. The position creates the action.

Glad to answer any questions you might have,
Jim
[/quote]

What year and which qualifier did you enter the Remax?

• Like 1

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

I did it at warner springs ranch in, I think, 2007 or 2008 late in the season(there was only a few more dates to try to qualify). To give you a sense of how long ago it was, I built a 48 inch 4x ust shaft with a titleist 907 head the night before the event and used it for the first time the next day. I've come to find out that I wasn't using the hottest of heads.

[quote name='caeleric' timestamp='1410545431' post='10107743']
i'm a huge proponent of target-favored rotational swings like you see mike bender, sean foley, and snt advocate. that said, i'm highly skeptical of your swing. can you post a video of your driver swing with this model? i'd love to see it in action.
[/quote]

It's understandable to be skeptical, I teach a very different perception for the swing. The perception shift is similar to the Fosbury flop.

What do you mean by target-favored? I definitely favor the target over any other place on the course, in fact, I'd say I'm target obsessed.

The rotational swings are fine, I just believe they are more difficult to perform based upon requiring precise rhythm, tempo and timing to maintain. In the swing I teach, the rhythm, tempo and timing are a product of the still weight.

• Like 1

[quote name='Jimvenetos' timestamp='1410551772' post='10108161']
[quote name='caeleric' timestamp='1410545431' post='10107743']
[/quote]

It's understandable to be skeptical, I teach a very different perception for the swing. The perception shift is similar to the Fosbury flop.

What do you mean by target-favored? I definitely favor the target over any other place on the course, in fact, I'd say I'm target obsessed.

The rotational swings are fine, I just believe they are more difficult to perform based upon requiring precise rhythm, tempo and timing to maintain. In the swing I teach, the rhythm, tempo and timing are a product of the still weight.
[/quote]

target-favored may be the wrong terminology. what i mean is weight distribution at setup and top of backswing. i think most golfers should keep the weight favoring the target side of their body instead of shifting away.

i've never tried your swing, so i cannot comment on its efficacy, but as someone who struggles with a hook as is, watching your path and face rotation gives me the sweats.

R1 Graphite Design YS6 Nano Reloaded S
Tight Lies 16.5 Aldila Tour Blue 65
Idea Super 22/25 Fujikura Pro 63 R
PING I25 5-PW Aerotech SF i95 R
Rotex 2.0 52-2/56-2/60-1 KBS TourV 100 R
Odyssey Metal-X #7 Arm-lock 40"

If you want to say that your way is an easier way for some people to do it, I won't argue...however, using buzz words to claim it's more powerful doesn't fly.

There's a reason nearly every guy who has done well in long driving has lateral movement off the ball and shifts into the rear leg.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Flexing of the shaft does not create the main source of power in the swing, from everything I have read very little if any actually.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly