2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos Γ—

Ping eye2 + orange

zator

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put a vertical chalk line on some range balls and see if the lie needs to be adjusted. If they are too flat try adjusting them more upright Ping will do this for about $20.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/913965-analyzing-sharpie-lie-test/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/913965-analyzing-sharpie-lie-test/[/url]

I played my moms set of ping eye 2 oranges for over a year (I'm 5'10"). Her boyfriend in high school got them for her (rich boyfriend) and I loved them. They helped my game as much as any game improvement set of irons did.

were they the best fit? no probably not, but I made minor adjustments and improved while playing with them

did move on to ping s56 though

Ping G30 9*
Ping i20 14*
Ping g20 3 iron
Ping S56 4-PW
Ping Tour S 52*
Titleist Vokey SM4 58*
Nike Method 006

[quote name='zator' timestamp='1410495127' post='10105423']
Just been doin a bit of research sounding like orange dot clubs are a ladies set up??Crap love the feel of them can I turn these into mens or am I best to sell and try find some eye2 + clubs black dots????I have hit eye2 clubs but the eye2+ clubs feel heaps better
[/quote]

Could not be farther than the truth. Many male player has clubs that are too long and too upright. Most women would find your clubs way too long.

[quote name='zator' timestamp='1410495127' post='10105423']
Just been doin a bit of research sounding like orange dot clubs are a ladies set up??Crap love the feel of them can I turn these into mens or am I best to sell and try find some eye2 + clubs black dots????I have hit eye2 clubs but the eye2+ clubs feel heaps better
[/quote]

What makes you come to this conclusion. I'm sure many, many mens sets were made to orange dot. Regardless if they were a men's or women's set the heads are exactly the same. If they are too short for you, extending them is easy or you can reshaft.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5Β°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex,Β Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex,Β Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex,Β Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex,Β Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex,Β Maltby Max Milled 54Β° & 58Β°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='shaffe' timestamp='1410540717' post='10107385']
There were Ping Eye2 made with a lighter head weight and shaft I believe for a short period of time geared toward seniors and women. I can't remember how they were marked to distinguish them from the rest. If the heads weights are up to par with other Eye2 I wouldn't say they were made for a lady.
[/quote]

You are right, there were regular Eye 2's, not Pluses, made in the mid 80's with the EZ-Lite shaft which had a weaker flex aimed at ladies and senior. I think the heads were the same so they could be reshafted, but I think the shafts were a shade shorter resulting in different swing weights. He's safe though with his set.

[quote name='zator' timestamp='1411360321' post='10160573']
Can orange dot turn to black dot by leghtening its shaft
[/quote]

The short answer is no, but the long answer is yes. Lie as measured by a Mitchell or other such loft and lie machine is an angle between sole and shaft measured at a point about 18" up the shaft. So no matter how long a shaft's butt sticks up beyond the measuring point, the angle doesn't change.

But if you have a really long shaft in say a 9 iron, where you ground that long 9 iron might be an inch or two farther out from your body than where you would normally ground a shorter 9 iron. This will make it dig effectively like a high lofted, toe-up "7 iron". You follow me? So if you wanted to play it well at that length, you'd have to flatten it to get the sole to strike the turf squarely and not dig too deep at the heel, causing shots to trend left.

Some tall guys do play really flat clubs. I'm 6'3" and play my irons green dot 1/2" long, mid irons blue dot, decreasing to black dot in my wedges, but I have short arms. I have a buddy with really long arms who is also 6'3". He plays standard length forged blades bent 3 degrees flat and he reaches waaaaaay out at address. I swear that every time I think he'll toe it or whiff, but he never does. That's why you need dynamic fitting. There is no right answer, only what is right for you. Watch your divots and ball flight to see which way things are digging or going.

[/quote]

Yes you can. You need 1/2" of extra length for each color code though, so 1.5" total, which is not realistic.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood AnserΒ - the "real deal!"

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1411387379' post='10161195']
[/quote]

Yes you can. You need 1/2" of extra length for each color code though, so 1.5" total, which is not realistic.
[/quote]

So removing 1/2" of length would effectively cause a blue dot to play as a black dot?

[quote name='shaffe' timestamp='1411389683' post='10161375']
[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1411387379' post='10161195']
[/quote]

[/quote]

So removing 1/2" of length would effectively cause a blue dot to play as a black dot?
[/quote]

Yes, that is correct. Ping's color codes are "effective" lie angles, not definitive unless the clubs are built to standard length.

Gotta disagree with the last two or three posts. You've got things backwards.

I'm fully aware of effective [b]loft[/b], and what it means, but Ping's color codes are not [b]"effective lie angles[/b]" built on how a person might hold a standard club. The Ping Color Codes are measurable steps on a fixed chart that encompasses a host of lies and lengths built around a grouping considered close to a "standard" lie angle and length for each club model and club within that set. (Those standard spec changes for each model of clubs. The standard for Eye 2's is not the same as for Pluses, for example.) You can look these specs up for every model and club on line and any club fitter can stick any club in question on a machine and tell you how the club in hand compares to the chart. They fitter has to be careful to pull up the right specs for the exact model he is measuring, because they change.

Effective loft and desirable lie of a club changes for every person the minute they take a club into their hands and try to take a normal swing. The goal of the fitter is to try to match the specs of a club set to the way that person swings, with the primary goal being one of getting the sole of the club to strike the turf naturally square and flat, thereby preserving the spec'ed loft of the club and avoiding striking the turf either heel up or toe up which would produce an off line shot and a different effective loft.

If you take a club into your local fitter/pro and have them check the lie angle, they do not measure your "effective" lie angle by triangulating to your hand position on the grip while standing at address with your normal swing. They put it on their Mitchell machine and compare the numbers the gauges of the machine measure to what the Ping chart says is standard for that club and then tell you, "This Eye 2 is 1/2 inch long and 2 degrees up [i]according to the spec chart[/i]". Then they'll put a bit of impact tape on the sole and have you strike a rubber plate and look to see if the tape is striking unevenly on the toe or heel. Then they'll bend flat or upright until it strikes evenly producing a desirable flat and square lie angle.

The reason a Ping fitting measures your height and your distance from hand to floor is to see if you have longer or shorter arms than normal for your height and then they can recommend a shaft length adjustment. They don't ever adjust your shaft length based on how your lie angle looks. They try to find a natural length shaft first, then bend the lie angle to fit that length for your swing. How you strike the ground with that club and whether you top it or fat it or push it or pull it is determined by how the club fits your swing. So while you might change the "effective" loft by adding or subtracting length to a shaft, causing you to swing it farther from your body, thereby changing the lie angle to a more toe up position, thus changing the effective loft: you should NEVER attempt to change the lie angle by adding length to the club. That's exactly back-asswards.

Here's how it should work. You go in and get measured and the Ping fitter says that "based on your measurements, you'll probably be in this range" and he'll circle an area on the color chart that might encompass a couple of lengths and colors. Then you try a club in that range and you pay attention to how it feels. If you think you're hitting everything thin, you try a bit longer shaft. Everything fat? Try a bit shorter shaft. Once you've got a comfortable shaft length, you look at adjusting the lie angle until you're striking that sole flat on the ground almost every swing. Then you're ready to take it to the course and pay really close attention to your divots and ball flight. If you hit a bunch toe deep and to the right, you are still too flat and you should bend upright until things straight out. Everything heel deep and to the left? Flatten.

It never ends. I check and bend all my clubs about 3 times a year. I play 3 different dots in one set. Soft clubs bend just by leaning on them and need to be bent back. I watch my divots like a hawk.

[quote name='dmblanch' timestamp='1411411654' post='10163697']
Gotta disagree with the last two or three posts. You've got things backwards.

I'm fully aware of effective [b]loft[/b], and what it means, but Ping's color codes are not [b]"effective lie angles[/b]" built on how a person might hold a standard club. The Ping Color Codes are measurable steps on a fixed chart that encompasses a host of lies and lengths built around a grouping considered close to a "standard" lie angle and length for each club model and club within that set. (Those standard spec changes for each model of clubs. The standard for Eye 2's is not the same as for Pluses, for example.) You can look these specs up for every model and club on line and any club fitter can stick any club in question on a machine and tell you how the club in hand compares to the chart. They fitter has to be careful to pull up the right specs for the exact model he is measuring, because they change.

Effective loft and desirable lie of a club changes for every person the minute they take a club into their hands and try to take a normal swing. The goal of the fitter is to try to match the specs of a club set to the way that person swings, with the primary goal being one of getting the sole of the club to strike the turf naturally square and flat, thereby preserving the spec'ed loft of the club and avoiding striking the turf either heel up or toe up which would produce an off line shot and a different effective loft.

If you take a club into your local fitter/pro and have them check the lie angle, they do not measure your "effective" lie angle by triangulating to your hand position on the grip while standing at address with your normal swing. They put it on their Mitchell machine and compare the numbers the gauges of the machine measure to what the Ping chart says is standard for that club and then tell you, "This Eye 2 is 1/2 inch long and 2 degrees up [i]according to the spec chart[/i]". Then they'll put a bit of impact tape on the sole and have you strike a rubber plate and look to see if the tape is striking unevenly on the toe or heel. Then they'll bend flat or upright until it strikes evenly producing a desirable flat and square lie angle.

The reason a Ping fitting measures your height and your distance from hand to floor is to see if you have longer or shorter arms than normal for your height and then they can recommend a shaft length adjustment. They don't ever adjust your shaft length based on how your lie angle looks. They try to find a natural length shaft first, then bend the lie angle to fit that length for your swing. How you strike the ground with that club and whether you top it or fat it or push it or pull it is determined by how the club fits your swing. So while you might change the "effective" loft by adding or subtracting length to a shaft, causing you to swing it farther from your body, thereby changing the lie angle to a more toe up position, thus changing the effective loft: you should NEVER attempt to change the lie angle by adding length to the club. That's exactly back-asswards.

Here's how it should work. You go in and get measured and the Ping fitter says that "based on your measurements, you'll probably be in this range" and he'll circle an area on the color chart that might encompass a couple of lengths and colors. Then you try a club in that range and you pay attention to how it feels. If you think you're hitting everything thin, you try a bit longer shaft. Everything fat? Try a bit shorter shaft. Once you've got a comfortable shaft length, you look at adjusting the lie angle until you're striking that sole flat on the ground almost every swing. Then you're ready to take it to the course and pay really close attention to your divots and ball flight. If you hit a bunch toe deep and to the right, you are still too flat and you should bend upright until things straight out. Everything heel deep and to the left? Flatten.

It never ends. I check and bend all my clubs about 3 times a year. I play 3 different dots in one set. Soft clubs bend just by leaning on them and need to be bent back. I watch my divots like a hawk.
[/quote]

Thanks for all the info sorta makes a lot of sense really I think I might just leave them as they are and sell them to a little person.I have just found me a set of eye2+ copper brylium black dot standard length for a good price.I seem to have a eye2 fetish going on with this set I'll have 4 sets lol. :golfer:

Just to be clear, Ping's color codes reference effective lie angles per their color code chart.

For example, a G25 Black dot standard length 5-iron has a 60.75 degree lie angle.

If you order a + 1/2" length G25 Black dot the 5-iron head will measure 60.0 degrees. I'm not claiming to be an expert on how the color code system works, but I've learned this much.

+ 1/2" means they will flatten one color code, and visa versa if you order -1/2".

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1411446622' post='10167029']
Just to be clear, Ping's color codes reference effective lie angles per their color code chart.

For example, a G25 Black dot standard length 5-iron has a 60.75 degree lie angle.

If you order a + 1/2" length G25 Black dot the 5-iron head will measure 60.0 degrees. I'm not claiming to be an expert on how the color code system works, but I've learned this much.

+ 1/2" means they will flatten one color code, and visa versa if you order -1/2".
[/quote]

So if I made +1/2 longer its going to take it further away from a black dot Am I correct in saying that???

[quote name='zator' timestamp='1411447319' post='10167075']
[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1411446622' post='10167029']

[/quote]

So if I made +1/2 longer its going to take it further away from a black dot Am I correct in saying that???
[/quote]

What I'm saying is if you order from Ping they will flatten the lie's one color code for each 1/2" of extra shaft length. If you put longer shafts in yourself this won't be the case though.