2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Bandon Dunes Itinerary

Ok, so found out yesterday that I have a conference in Portland in early November. It got me thinking about Bandon Dunes and whether I could squeeze in any golf. Then, I really started thinking about could I take out my retired father, father-in-law and brother-in-law. Called them all up and they all confirmed they could go (of course they could...who's turning down a free trip to Bandon) and I called out today. All they have is a room at Chrome Lake available with 2 kings which my bil and Fil both said they could share and I got a roll away for me and my dad could have the other bed. Got us off at Pacific on Friday at noon. Playing the Preserve at 8:20 on Sat and Bandon at 11:20. Playing Old Mac on Sunday at 9 and figured we would go try out the Punch Bowl afterwards. Head back to Portland late that afternoon for them to catch a flight back on Monday morning. Where should we eat for our meals? Is the itinerary solid? Anyone got caddies they recommend?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eat on site. The pub next to Bandon is ridiculously good. They have a $20 Fish N Chips that will blow your mind away w/ lots of local PNW/Oregon craft beers on tap. We ate most meals in the main Bandon restaurant including their breakfast buffet.

I think one of the nights we headed to the city of Bandon and got fried chicken at the grocery store but nothing really else out of town.

The food is decently priced w/ burgers and such under $15 for a resort area.

TM M1 460 10.5° .::. MRC Tensei CK Blue 6S
Adams XTD Ti 15° .::. Matrix 7Q3 S
TM R15 Black 19° .::. Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1 S (tipped 2")
Bridgestone Airmuscle 2i 19° .::. PX HD2
Tourstage X Blade 709 CB 4i .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Tourstage X Blade 909 Ltd 5-PW .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Bridgestone J15 Black Ox 52°/58° .::. DG Onyx S400
Piretti 'Tour Only' Cortino II w/ Matrix U11-P01 Proto
Piretti 'Cortino LN' Long Neck Tour Ltd
Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1059465-bpark1210-witb-bridgestone-pic-heavy/page__pid__9832393#entry9832393"]WITB Link[/url]

Keep calling back to see if they have any cancellations for rooms. That time of year should have quite a few. Stay onsite for everything. The food is good, reasonably priced and nothing in town is much better, so you can relax even more. Lots of threads for caddie rec's in the Northwest section, as well as tips for your first trip.

Course itinerary looks great, though you can't go wrong with any itinerary there, frankly...

...and post a full trip report here when you get back, or course...

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Thanks guys for the recommendations! Do I need reservations for any of the onsite food restaurants? Also, given I am paying for the whole kit and kaboodle on this trip including rooms, meals, flights, golf...everything...the caddie bill comes to ~$1200 for the 3 rounds. Last time I played there I had a caddie, but I was in and out in a day and a half....would it be worth my time to go:

A) no caddies and save the money
B) caddies all rounds as this is your family and memories are priceless and not toting your own clubs keeps that distraction at bay
C) just get caddies for our mid-60's fathers and the mid-30's boys can use a trolley
D) pick 1 or 2 courses to have caddies and tote the others

[quote name='Chilidog' timestamp='1410572798' post='10109781']
Thanks guys for the recommendations! Do I need reservations for any of the onsite food restaurants? Also, given I am paying for the whole kit and kaboodle on this trip including rooms, meals, flights, golf...everything...the caddie bill comes to ~$1200 for the 3 rounds. Last time I played there I had a caddie, but I was in and out in a day and a half....would it be worth my time to go:

B) caddies all rounds as this is your family and memories are priceless and not toting your own clubs keeps that distraction at bay
C) just get caddies for our mid-60's fathers and the mid-30's boys can use a trolley
[/quote]

B) all day long. And not just because of toting the clubs. I could carry my clubs easily but I [b]strongly[/b] believe that having a professional caddie with you enhances the experience.....besides the 4 or 5 strokes I think they're worth just reading the greens.

I've been very fortunate in my experiences with caddies anywhere I've played, but the crew at Bandon is top notch. They made me comfortable, shared great stories and helped me enjoy the golf even more than I thought possible. ;)

[/quote]

Option E is to get one forecaddie for your whole group. Three rounds isn't too much for most golfers to walk, especially with the trolleys. You'll get the benefits of the course knowledge without the high price.

Also, it's a good idea to make reservations in the restaurants, especially if you're there on a weekend. Even the pub can get crowded on the weekend.

Don't forget that there is a sauna and Jacuzzi downstairs in the main lodge.

And have the meatloaf.

Maybe twice.

[quote name='spud3' timestamp='1410582617' post='10110503']

[/quote]

Option E is to get one forecaddie for your whole group. Three rounds isn't too much for most golfers to walk, especially with the trolleys. You'll get the benefits of the course knowledge without the high price.
[/quote]

+1. We've used forecaddies for both of our trips. You get the stories, the benefit of them helping you with lines off the tee, and help reading putts.

I personally don't think they save 4-5 strokes per round, but I do feel like they may save a couple, and they greatly enhance the whole experience IMO.

[quote name='jeffalvarez' timestamp='1411144187' post='10147813']
Agreed with recommendations about eating on site...food is great. Breakfast buffet is very good as well. We used caddies with double bags and that worked well for us.
[/quote]

The caddies that I've met all prefer this route so they can double their cash. In peak summer season, on the longest days, some of them will double bag it for 54 holes they told me.

Definitely go into town one of the nights for dinner - they are typically seafood orientated - but make for a nice change of pace from those onsite and also just makes for a nice change of pace full stop, from being surrounded by golfers all day long.

Personally part of the appeal of going in the off-season, along with it being less crowded and apparently quicker to get around, (going back this coming Thanksgiving weekend) is the massive savings over their peak rates. Adding caddies to each of these rounds goes a long way to diminishing that. Also with the exception of only a couple holes everything is laid out in front of you. My two previous trips only 3 players I've played with had caddies, at that time of year it seems the vast majority don't. You also get a lot more locals then as they can again take advantage of the in-state rate.

This year it will be me and my two best mates and we've not been together as a group in over a year, so we'd just as soon be the three idiots out there on our own having a great time, then having anyone else along for the ride.

If the dads normally walk, playing 3 full rounds and the par 3 isn't too much to ask I assume, otherwise you could get caddies for everyone just at Bandon to lighten the load for the middle round.

You'll have a fantastic trip whatever you decide, so enjoy :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

• 5 weeks later...