How adjustable drivers actually work. Everyone should be required to watch this to be allowed to pos

11011121416

Comments

  • LondonerLondoner Members Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    Stuart G. wrote:

    Londoner wrote:


    Really? People cant see if a 460 driver face is square? What do they do with a wedge?




    Forget the wedges, numerous studies have shown that most average golfers can't really see if their putter is square and pointed in the right direction.


    Were not talking putting though. I find it hard to believe they are any better off just trusting the clubs lie for squareness. Theyve still got to aim it. Maybe im missing something.
    Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
    taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
    ping anser
    Titleist sm6 50 +54
    Cleveland 60
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 22,924 ✭✭
    Londoner wrote:


    Were not talking putting though. I find it hard to believe they are any better off just trusting the clubs lie for squareness. Theyve still got to aim it. Maybe im missing something.




    We are talking about the ability of the player to point the club face in a particular direction and know what direction it's really pointing.



    But the key isn't really where it's pointing at set-up. It only matters where it's pointing at impact and the two are rarely the same. The only thing that's important is how consistent they are at where it might point at setup. And there is very little to indicate one method is any more or less consistent then any other.
  • dxdgenertdxdgenert Dirtiest player in the game MinnesotaMembers Posts: 1,533 ✭✭
    As always, thanks, Tom. I hadn't watched this because I was playing a non-adjustable driver when you created it. Now that I picked an adjustable model up, I'm glad I gave it a view.
    PING G400 MAX w/ Alta CB
    Cobra KING F7 fairway w/ Fujikura Pro 65
    Cobra KING F7 hybrid w/ Fujikura Pro 75H
    Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 Utility 4 Iron
    Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 5-GW
    Wilson Staff FG Tour PMP Blue Tour Grind 56* and 60*
    One of several milled putters
  • surffshrsurffshr Members Posts: 4
    when I adjust the loft angle the lettering on the club moves. I then Have the club regripped with lettering centered to a square club face. dosen't this resolve the square face issue? On regular shots don'rt we square the face to the target line anyway?
  • LondonerLondoner Members Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    surffshr wrote:


    when I adjust the loft angle the lettering on the club moves. I then Have the club regripped with lettering centered to a square club face. dosen't this resolve the square face issue? On regular shots don'rt we square the face to the target line anyway?


    Thats my thoughts as well.
    Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
    taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
    ping anser
    Titleist sm6 50 +54
    Cleveland 60
  • SupremexxSupremexx Members Posts: 79 ✭✭
    great info
  • GolfrnutGolfrnut Members Posts: 7,109 ✭✭
    edited Nov 28, 2017 #398
    Supremexx wrote:


    great info




    So what you are basically saying is...



    You have been registered on here for 6 years and are just now choosing to SPAM the forums to get your post count up, can only image for BST rights correct?



    Hint: the 12 posts in 10 minutes is a bit of a giveaway. Edit: Nevermind, looks like you are shooting for the stars on this one.
    TM Supertri V2 w/ AD DI (Testing a new one that's on probation)
    Callaway 3Deep w/ 73 BB or Stage 2 3W w/ 73 BB
    Stage 2 3H w/ i80 Steelfiber
    Callaway Apex UT 21* w/ i80 Steelfiber
    Callaway X Prototype MBs 4-PW w/ Steelfiber AMI 99s
    Callaway MD3 52* & 58* PM grind (both X100 8 iron SS)
    Odyssey MXM 1W
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 22,924 ✭✭
    Golfrnut wrote:




    Hint: the 12 posts in 10 minutes is a bit of a giveaway. Edit: Nevermind, looks like you are shooting for the stars on this one.




    Actually it's 42 posts in ~30 minutes.
  • thepinkbomberthepinkbomber Members Posts: 724
    Curious if this is true with the 2017 EPIC adjustable hosel. I have a 9 degree. When I set the lie adjustment to neutral and adjust the loft from 8, 9, 10, and 11 the face angle does not change when I sole the club. 4 degrees is a significant change that you can see by the eye. The launch angle and spin do change on the LM as I progressively increase the loft setting from 8 to 11 but unlike other clubs it doesn't hook when I increase the loft. Other clubs when I increase loft the face closes and they hook.



    Anyone with knowledge on this specific hosel and why I don't see a face adjustment of 4 degrees when soled?
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 22,924 ✭✭
    edited Feb 28, 2018 #401


    Curious if this is true with the 2017 EPIC adjustable hosel. I have a 9 degree. When I set the lie adjustment to neutral and adjust the loft from 8, 9, 10, and 11 the face angle does not change when I sole the club. 4 degrees is a significant change that you can see by the eye. The launch angle and spin do change on the LM as I progressively increase the loft setting from 8 to 11 but unlike other clubs it doesn't hook when I increase the loft. Other clubs when I increase loft the face closes and they hook.



    Anyone with knowledge on this specific hosel and why I don't see a face adjustment of 4 degrees when soled?




    If it's true (havent' had a chance to play around with one), it has nothing to do with the hosel or adapter design. It would be more a consequence of the sole geometry. Similar idea to Cobra's 'SmartPad'.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • boatrightgolf7boatrightgolf7 Members Posts: 191
    I watched this video great info for sure!
  • Jds13Jds13 Members Posts: 85
    Great great video
  • GolfrnutGolfrnut Members Posts: 7,109 ✭✭
    Jds13 wrote:


    Great great video






    Was it great?!? Or was it just good enough to get to your 75 post count since you were forum spamming?
    TM Supertri V2 w/ AD DI (Testing a new one that's on probation)
    Callaway 3Deep w/ 73 BB or Stage 2 3W w/ 73 BB
    Stage 2 3H w/ i80 Steelfiber
    Callaway Apex UT 21* w/ i80 Steelfiber
    Callaway X Prototype MBs 4-PW w/ Steelfiber AMI 99s
    Callaway MD3 52* & 58* PM grind (both X100 8 iron SS)
    Odyssey MXM 1W
  • 00ogopogo00ogopogo Poa Made Me an 8 Members Posts: 82 ✭✭
    Stuart G. wrote:

    Londoner wrote:


    Were not talking putting though. I find it hard to believe they are any better off just trusting the clubs lie for squareness. Theyve still got to aim it. Maybe im missing something.




    We are talking about the ability of the player to point the club face in a particular direction and know what direction it's really pointing.



    But the key isn't really where it's pointing at set-up. It only matters where it's pointing at impact and the two are rarely the same. The only thing that's important is how consistent they are at where it might point at setup. And there is very little to indicate one method is any more or less consistent then any other.




    instruction-2007-07-inar01_flick0707.jpg
  • LEO MODELEO MODE Members Posts: 139 ✭✭
    So when I use my Trackman almost always my face angle is slightly open and my swing direction is open too.



    Does it mean based on the titleist hosel chart i should make it more to the left and add loft at the same time since opening the club face already adds loft anyway?



    I am only talking about a driver of course...

    http://leomode.home.blog

    Reviewing all golf techs

    TrackMan 4, GC2+HMT, GC Quad
  • DreadzombieDreadzombie Members Posts: 207 ✭✭
    Why have I not seen this video before, guess I'm the 1/10000 lol, fantastically explained!
  • Can somebody please post a link to the video?
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 22,924 ✭✭


    Can somebody please post a link to the video?




    it's in the first post of the thread.
  • GolfrnutGolfrnut Members Posts: 7,109 ✭✭
    Stuart G. wrote:



    Can somebody please post a link to the video?




    it's in the first post of the thread.




    The embedding must be a little porked for some. I don't see it right now either using chrome.



    TM Supertri V2 w/ AD DI (Testing a new one that's on probation)
    Callaway 3Deep w/ 73 BB or Stage 2 3W w/ 73 BB
    Stage 2 3H w/ i80 Steelfiber
    Callaway Apex UT 21* w/ i80 Steelfiber
    Callaway X Prototype MBs 4-PW w/ Steelfiber AMI 99s
    Callaway MD3 52* & 58* PM grind (both X100 8 iron SS)
    Odyssey MXM 1W
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 22,924 ✭✭
    Not sure what to say - it's showing up fine for me in both Chrome and Firefox.



    If you've updated the browser recently, you may also have to update flash.
  • dna113pdna113p Members Posts: 1
    I want to know what kind of pristine tee boxes people are playing on where they don't have to adjust the club square...



    it completely nullifies this ridiculous argument, adjustable loft drivers are a GOOD thing.
  • TKSTKS Members Posts: 194 ✭✭
    dna113p wrote:


    I want to know what kind of pristine tee boxes people are playing on where they don't have to adjust the club square...



    it completely nullifies this ridiculous argument, adjustable loft drivers are a GOOD thing.
    Nice first post.

    Now watch the video again, nobody is saying they are BAD thing. Tom clarified how they work and how to use them better than the MFG have.
    All Wishon, all the time:
    919THI 11* Black Driver, Red Shaft - S
    919F/D, Black Shaft
    775 18* hyb, Interflexx Shaft
    590 4iron, Black hybd Shaft
    5-SW Sterlings S300's
    PCF Micro 58*
    S2R #5 putter Double Bend Shaft
    Softer Urethane balls - too many to list
  • Bobb3rdownBobb3rdown Bothell, WAMembers Posts: 496 ✭✭
    So let me see if I got this. If the club is soled you won't visually see a difference. But if you grip and everything is in the swing is the same with the club square at address not soled. Each adjustment will actually change the flight of the ball. Not static loft in itself.
    Titleist 910d3 8.5
    Titleist 917f2 15.75
    Adams Pro Mini 20,23
    Bridgestone j36 pc 5-pw
    Cleveland rtx3 50,54,58
    Ping Sigma G Darby
    2018 players 5 stand bag
    Srixon z star 
  • tripleboogeytripleboogey Members Posts: 67
    TKS wrote:

    dna113p wrote:


    I want to know what kind of pristine tee boxes people are playing on where they don't have to adjust the club square...



    it completely nullifies this ridiculous argument, adjustable loft drivers are a GOOD thing.
    Nice first post.

    Now watch the video again, nobody is saying they are BAD thing. Tom clarified how they work and how to use them better than the MFG have.




    i remember watching this video when it first came out, right when i got my first adjustable loft driver. i remember thinking he was just full of it.



    years later, watching it, he has points, valid points, but where i realize i don't agree with him is in regards to soling the club. i hadn't done this in years. i can get my grip better by holding the club up with i grip it and gripping it with the face angle where it is most comfortable for my eye and playing with loft in that regard. i found a lot of the modern drivers before we got into adjustable lofts would sit funny when soled. i also practiced a lot at a driving range with spotty grass that always made soling the club difficult.



    if you sole the club, he comments are valid.



    i will agree with some others, and it was dumb luck for me, regrip your club after you find that sweet spot for the club adjustment. i just always happen to regrip after i got the club and played around (well, reshafted too), but that helps too.
  • TexsportTexsport Members Posts: 2,335 ✭✭
    Mizuno has addressed some of this with their GT180 driver.



    Loft and lie are hosel adapter functions.



    Wanting the look of an open face at address is facilitated by a movable sole chuck. It makes the club sit open, square or closed when soled on the turf. If you then grip the club, it is pre-rotated into a consistently preset position. I believe desiring an open face is a learned preference of good players who draw the ball.



    To address swing induced fades or draws, Mizuno uses sliding weights which can be moved to the toe, center, or heel - offsetting incorrect swing path shot spin and dictating more or less face rotation thru impact.



    The same sliding weights can to installed closer or further from the face to affect launch angle and spin generation by the head.



    It's the ultimate club for good playing range rats.



    It's also the best driver I've hit ever - easily displacing a Callaway Epic from my bag.



    Fortunately for me, my setting are fairly simple - 10.5*, neutral center weight position, mid-high/mid-spin launch position.



    Very solid perforning and feeling driver.



    Texsport
    Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
    Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
    Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
    Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
    Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
    MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
    Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
    Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
    Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
    The Cure CX2 putter
  • TKSTKS Members Posts: 194 ✭✭
    It's all been done before. Nothing new here. I like the blue paint.
    All Wishon, all the time:
    919THI 11* Black Driver, Red Shaft - S
    919F/D, Black Shaft
    775 18* hyb, Interflexx Shaft
    590 4iron, Black hybd Shaft
    5-SW Sterlings S300's
    PCF Micro 58*
    S2R #5 putter Double Bend Shaft
    Softer Urethane balls - too many to list
  • Go_TimeGo_Time _ Members Posts: 2,272 ✭✭
    So does this mean i also have to square the club face at address if I'm adjusting the hosel to manipulate lie angle?
  • TexsportTexsport Members Posts: 2,335 ✭✭
    If you have a square face but approach the ball from in-to-out
    hook!



    Texsport
    Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
    Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
    Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
    Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
    Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
    MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
    Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
    Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
    Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
    The Cure CX2 putter
  • TexsportTexsport Members Posts: 2,335 ✭✭
    TKS wrote:


    It's all been done before. Nothing new here. I like the blue paint.




    But not all the possible adjustments together in 1 club - which is new.



    Additionally, the face of the Mizuno is hotter than what was previously allowed, but they skirt the regulations another way.



    Which previous club had a moveable chuck to adjust address position like the Mizuno GT180?



    Texsport
    Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
    Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
    Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
    Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
    Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
    MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
    Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
    Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
    Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
    The Cure CX2 putter
  • TKSTKS Members Posts: 194 ✭✭
    edited May 21, 2018 #421
    Texsport wrote:

    TKS wrote:


    It's all been done before. Nothing new here. I like the blue paint.




    But not all the possible adjustments together in 1 club - which is new.



    Additionally, the face of the Mizuno is hotter than what was previously allowed, but they skirt the regulations another way.



    Which previous club had a moveable chuck to adjust address position like the Mizuno GT180?



    Texsport
    TM R11s had the sole piece thing going on - but it didn't stick. Whats this about the face?

    Should have named this the Prego! https://www.youtube....h?v=9_ula09o_tc

    Love the V4s in your bag.
    All Wishon, all the time:
    919THI 11* Black Driver, Red Shaft - S
    919F/D, Black Shaft
    775 18* hyb, Interflexx Shaft
    590 4iron, Black hybd Shaft
    5-SW Sterlings S300's
    PCF Micro 58*
    S2R #5 putter Double Bend Shaft
    Softer Urethane balls - too many to list
Sign In or Register to comment.