How adjustable drivers actually work. Everyone should be required to watch this to be allowed to pos

1101112131416»

Comments

• GolfrnutGolfrnut Members Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    outgolfing wrote:

Ri_Redneck wrote:

outgolfing wrote:

Wow, I've been on this site for a long time and never watched that video...eye opening.

And now I have a question my mind is not working through.

I have a 8.5 Ping G400. I sole the club on every shot so I now understand it does not matter what loft I set it at for the sake of loft but when I go to the small + or the large + and still sole it how much am I changing the lie angle to? (RH adapter). Also am I right that by "adding loft" and soling the club I am closing the face angle?

This video explains what you are asking.

[url=" Adjustment process.[/url]

BTW, just cause you sole your club every time, it doesn't mean you can't AIM your club.

BT

Interesting, so regardless of either going “up” or “down” in loft on the hosel settings you are decreasing lie angle on both.

Depends on the OEM. Some have multiple cogs that allow you to offset some of that.
    TM Supertri V2 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
    TM Stage 2 Tour 14.5* w/ Diamana BB  S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R 
    Taylormade R9 19* TP Rescue w/ Aldila Rip 85
    4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
    Callaway MD3 52* & 58* PM grind
    Odyssey MXM 1W
  • JRSJRS Members Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭✭
    outgolfing wrote:

Interesting, so regardless of either going "up" or "down" in loft on the hosel settings you are decreasing lie angle on both.

the zero position is the most upright. little plus and little minus are the the most flat. big plus and big minus are more upright again but not quite as upright as zero. the reason for the odd arrangement is their choice of 5 hosel settings. if you want to know why you'll have to read the thread from the start.
  • Army_golferArmy_golfer ClubWRX Posts: 103 ClubWRX

Great video.. I sent this out to the MGA at my club. They're all even more confused now! Easy money for me!!!

Cobra F9 9* - HZRDUS Yellow 6.0
    TM M2 2017 15* - HZRDUS Red 6.0
    Titleist 818 H1 19* - Evenflow 85 6.0
    Titleist 818 H1 23* - Evenflow 85 6.0
    Titleist C16 5-GW - Project X Rifle Flighted 6.0
    Vokey Custom Black 56*, 60*
    Rife 2-Bar CS - Custom Flat Black and Lime (ContinentalGolf.com)
    Pro V1x
  • leopardshrubsleopardshrubs Members Posts: 2

Thank you kindly for this. #enlightened

• wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I can watch this video from time to time .
    Although nothing is 100% perfect, but this video obviously is one of the best in explaining the modern day "adjustable hosel" to the average golfers . Where in the old days we had to grip the driver differently to create a different ball flight. Or change the swing path for the same reason, which both had inconsistent results.
    I still set my "adjustable" hosel at standard position most of the time, for the same reason Tom mentioned .
    Placing the club face square at address after adjustment is made , felt strange with hands position in relationship to the shaft. Hence I kept it mostly at the std position.
    If the OEM offer an option for glued in hosel as an alternative at less cost, I'd give it my vote.

• cutchemist42cutchemist42 Members Posts: 106 ✭✭

So is there a reason the companies preferred letting people solve it open/closed vs twisting the shaft to square the club? That's how you get the stated loft right, by twisting the shaft while holding the shaft straight?

I play the 2017 M2 if it matters.

• GolfrnutGolfrnut Members Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@cutchemist42 said:
    So is there a reason the companies preferred letting people solve it open/closed vs twisting the shaft to square the club? That's how you get the stated loft right, by twisting the shaft while holding the shaft straight?

I play the 2017 M2 if it matters.

Squaring the face or returning it to the original position would probably be a more appropriate term...but yes.

Why? Marketing? Maybe the OEMs observed people's natural use of the clubs and noticed they were more prone to aligning the club by what they saw with their eyes when it didn't look right to them? Plenty of guesses can be made...no one has really ever came out and stated an answer.

TM Supertri V2 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
    TM Stage 2 Tour 14.5* w/ Diamana BB  S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R 
    Taylormade R9 19* TP Rescue w/ Aldila Rip 85
    4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
    Callaway MD3 52* & 58* PM grind
    Odyssey MXM 1W
  • Bogey2BirdieBogey2Birdie West Palm BeachMembers Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited Jun 30, 2019 3:17pm #459

Great info Tom!..A bendable hosel is just what I need! For years I hold my shaft flatter & back around 4pm as it sets, to cheat a bit more open face angle. I would like a adjustable hosel... that when I increase loft... the face angle opens.

Post edited by Bogey2Birdie on

Mizuno ST-190 9.5 / AD I-Z 8x
    TEE CB Pro f2 15 / Fuel 70x TS
    TEE CB Pro f2 18 / 757 Evo x
    Yonex Ezone MB Irons DGX100
    Miura Wedge Series 51,55,59 DG
    SC Red X5 Putter 33.75 / Tour B xs

• SeaczepSeaczep NYCMembers Posts: 4

Appreciate this and the ensuing conversation guys.

• ousuxndallasousuxndallas DFWMembers Posts: 117 ✭✭✭

All I know is I hit 10 drives from a "neutral" position on a TM M5, then 10 drives from the +1* position. The +1* position drives all launched higher. So, for me, the loft did change.

Maybe I have a pretty square face delivery, who knows.

• rickdarris2004rickdarris2004 FargoMembers Posts: 19 ✭✭

Great info!

Callaway Rogue SZ 9
    Callaway Rogue 4 Wood
    Callaway Apex 19 4 Hybrid
    Mizuno MPH4 4-PW
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 58
    Scotty Futura 7M

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights