Driver that feels like a v-steel fairway wood?

jefka

I have a confession to make. I’m not a great golf player. I do not swing 100+ mph, I have no idea what an eagle looks like and I am far better off calling my shots after I hit them. I am certainly not able to feel how the shaft loads and unloads or how it twists during my transission. The only thing I feel is “that felt great” or “that felt meh”, no idea what part of “that” is responsible for what.

I am absolutely certain that I should use all the help I can get and that there is equipment out there much more suitable for me then I’m currently using. Here’s the thing though…I am absolutely loving my set of V-steel woods that I'm using for a year now. They’re just gorgeous and I hit them so well that I have an isane amount of confidence in them….even the 3 wood from the deck. I don’t know what it is about these clubs but they are the easiest and the straightest clubs that I have ever hit. Surely they shouldn’t be as forgiving as they are for my random hacking, but they are…just straight. I tried different “modern” alternatives before I bought the V-steels and some afterwards for fun, but nothing ever came close to the solid and straight thwack from my V-steels.

Now for the million dollar question. I am gaming 2 different drivers (RBZ fitted to me & Bombtech Grenade) which I both really like and hit rather well but I can’t love them like I love my V-steels. The clubho in me is searching for the driver that feels like my V-steel woods, I just have no idea where to look. Any suggestions?

The facts: shoot high 80’s low 90’s. My typical shot is a slight fade which can turn into a push quite easilly (depending on the day it can turn into anything really). Swingspeed around 95mph.

Bombtech Grenade driver
TM V-Steel 3 | 5 | 7
Hogan Edge 4-9
Hogan Tom Kite 51 | 56 | 62
Bettinardi Baby Bee

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first thought for a driver that feels like a v-steel fw would be something with a smaller, more solid feeling head. Something like a 10 year old Titleist.

Taylormade 16' M2 9.5º (Tensei 60 Orange R)

Taylormade 17' M1 HL3 17º (Kuro Kage 70 S)

Titleist 910H 21º and 24º (Stock Diamana Kai'li R)

Srixon 745 5-PW (TT DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM4 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.09S

Titleist SC PP Del Mar 3.5, Odyssey WH Pro 7, Cleveland HB Soft 11.

Royal M Taper 360's

Those V-steel fairway woods must be good; they have a great following.

If you want something dependable off the tee, the Ping G25 works pretty darn well. Set the head on the "+" position to close the face a bit, which will help mitigate your fade. You can also accomplish the same thing with a titleist 910 D2: set it in the closed position (A2, B2, C3, maybe A3).

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

The simple fact is that a driver will never feel "as good" as a wood. They are built differently and feel different because of that. That said, I have a Titleist 983k that I put in and out of play throughout each year that feels about as close as I have found. It is not as long as my 909 or my 910, but the feel is great and that length is probably shaft related. Try to hit some drivers with 440 or small heads. They usually don't feel so "trampoline" like on contact.

Titleist 909 D2 Diamana Blueboard
Titleist 909 F2 Diamana Blueboard
Mizuno MP69 3-P S300
Nike Engage 52 S - 56 TS - 60 S
Guerin Rife Cayman Brac
Sun Mountain SwiftX
Taylormade Tour Preferred

Thanks for the suggestions! I understand that a driver will not feel like a fairwaywood, just hoping to get close to the same feeling and expecially the same straight flight (rather straight then super duper extra far)

I was browsing a bit looking for some older drivers hoping that those would indeed give me more of that "solid thwack" feeling but a bit scared that I would compromise forgiveness with those older and smaller drivers. On the other hand those v-steels are the oldest clubs in my bag and smaller then the newer alternatives that I tried but they are still the straigthest clubs in my bag aswell. I guess older and smaller is probably the way to try in search for my personal holy grail.

Unfortunately over here we can't pick up second hands as cheap as in the usa but there are some options available. There is a Titleist 905T 10.5 / TM burner bubble 10.5 for about 50 bucks each. For about 80 bucks there is also a Mizuno mp001 or a MP630 FT (bit scared about the apollo UL shaft on the 630, reviews about apollo shafts seem a bit mixed). Dark horse of them all is a Yonex Vmass 350 10.5 that practically lives next door and can be had real cheap, that might just be a tad to tiny though and I only know Yonex from tennis, not golf ;)

Bombtech Grenade driver
TM V-Steel 3 | 5 | 7
Hogan Edge 4-9
Bettinardi Baby Bee

I feel the same way about my VSteel. I found a VSteel 3+ and pretty much stopped using my driver for a month.

However, to address your question about a driver that feels more like a VSteel, I've chased that same feeling and I've found that the major part of the equation is not so much the head as the shaft.

Get a heavier shaft. I wouldn't keep it at 46" length, I'd go shorter. Use some lead tape to calibrate the right swing weight you want. Might not work for you but, for me, I also avoid the full 460cc driver heads.

Today I'm quite happy with the driver I've got. Might not be the longest driver I've ever had but it's exactly what I'm looking for, something that feels like my 3W with some extra pop.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

As far as drivers go, you're not going to find one that has a dead on match to the feel of the V-steel, or any fairway wood for that matter. That said, some of the older smaller headed drivers may give you more of the feel you're looking for, especially if paired with a shaft that has a firmer profile. In terms of a relatively contemporary 460 Ti driver that may give you the feel you're after, a Titleist 905R may do the trick with it's bore through design. I've always liked the feel of bore through drivers because to me they do feel much more solid than a blind bore or adjustable head (though I've found out that tipping the shaft of a blind bore or adjustable driver can make the club feel a little more solid/stout). To really get a feel that approximates the V-Steel, you'll want a small club head, so look at the Titleist 905S. If you really go back in the way back machine, you can get a VERY solid feeling driver with the Titleist 983E or K and definitely with the Titleist 975D. The latter is the club that would be the absolute closest to your V-Steel.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

Love me some V Steels. Closest I ever came to a similar feel was an old TM 300ti, which I am playing as a mini driver at the moment. Some of those older titleists will fit the bill as well.

Callaway Rogue SZ 10.5* W/ Matrix F7M2
Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 16.5* W/ Matrix F7M2 Proto

Adams Super LS 19* W/ Kuro Kage 80
Royal Collection Tour VS 5-PW W/ Aldila RIP Tour 115
Taylormade RAC Satin 50 + 54 W/ Aldila RIP Tour 115
MaxFli CrossBax 3.0 (#9 Style)
Bag - Honma Mini Staff
Ball - Taylormade RBZ Urethane

I can't believe I forgot it, but the Taylor Made 200 Steel driver would also be pretty close to the V-Steel.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

I used to game a tour issue TM V-Steel three wood with an X-100 shaft. Loved the combo, but over time my age and flexibility forced me to change!! The old Taylormade R510 comes to my mind right as a similar feeling wood!

Here is a good one for sale with a stiff shaft!! And NO it is not my club!!
[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-TOUR-ISSUE-Taylormade-R510-9-5-Deep-Face-Prototype-Driver-w-Cover-/271611341244?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item3f3d4c29bc"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-TOUR-ISSUE-Taylormade-R510-9-5-Deep-Face-Prototype-Driver-w-Cover-/271611341244?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item3f3d4c29bc[/url]

Thanks for the replies all!

there seems to be a recurring theme....older titleist drivers? There's a 983k nearby that can possibly be had for cheap, I might jump on it to give it a try.

I'm also intrigued by the possibility of a heavier shaft, need to read up on shafts a bit I guess (I did already shorten the shafts on my current drivers to 44.5). Might need to visit the pro for some advice on shafts but he got me fitted on a rather light shaft last time. But first let's see if I can get a steal on that 983k for some fun non scientific experimentation...

Bombtech Grenade driver
TM V-Steel 3 | 5 | 7
Hogan Edge 4-9
Bettinardi Baby Bee

An older driver with a smaller head will probably give you the closest comparison. The two that I have found are the 983k/e and the Taylormade r510. I haven't tried the TM300 or 200 series. I have found the 983k/e and r510 to be a little less forgiving than my newer drivers. However, if you feel more comfortable with them, than you will probably make a better pass at the ball.

Good luck!

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

I like the TM200 3 wood better than the driver!
Like the Mizuno MP001 to ! Forged
Try a Nike VR Tour or VR Tour LTD Edition, around 420cc, forgedCheers, Roger

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

I liked the TM 200 steel driver. Old boss of mine used to have one and I would hit it occasionally for fun. Used to get it out there pretty good too, 260/270 carry+roll which is about average for me even with modern drivers. Plenty of good options out there for older small headed drivers, plus can be had for cheap. Best of luck finding what you are lookin for!

Callaway Razr Fit 10.5° S+ Diamana Blueboard 63 Stiff Flex
Callaway Razr Hawk 3 wood TC 14° Diamana Kail'i 70 Stiff Flex
Adams D-hy 21° Aldila Tour Blue Stiff Flex
Callaway X-Utility Prototype iron 24° 6.0
Srixon i-506 irons 5-PW 6.0
Titleist SM5 F Grind 50°
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 58°
Wilson Staff 8883 Milled Putter

Okay small update. After all the recommendations I spent some time online and found a titleist 983k 9.5 stiff nearby. I was a bit afraid cause I ussualy play a bit higher lofted drivers with a regular shaft (I do know that the indication on the shaft basically means nothing) but the first session on the range went rather well. As I mentioned before I don't "feel shafts" or anything, but overall the driver felt great so I guess the stiff shaft isn't hurting me very badly (non scientific approach here). Ofcourse ball flight is a bit different and distance is tough to judge but it [i]looked[/i] like carry distance was about the same, maybe slightly less but with a nice slighlty lower flight. Since I get my shots airborne rather easy I actually liked the slightly lower flight. Most of my shots started straight but leaked a little bit right, sure a bad swing is still a bad swing but overall my dispersion was a bit tighter with the 983k then the RBZ I also brought along.

Now about that solid thwack that I was searching for. Ofcourse it's not a v-steel fairwaywood so it doesn't feel exactly the same but my oh my I loved the sound and feel of the 983k (it's that solid thwack again instead of a lighweight piiiing). It is much more similar to the v-steel then my other drivers. The 983k feels a bit heavier then the RBZ (not sure if that's true but it feels that way) and I seem to like that. For some reason my mind thinks that with the lightweight RBZ I have to hit harder to get the ball going. I know that's not really true but that's the way my head works. With the 983k feeling a bit heavier I feel more at ease, allowing gravity to make the club fall down and generate speed instead of me trying to swing as hard as I can.

It's an early love affair and it's easy to get excited about new toys but this first session was great.

Bombtech Grenade driver
TM V-Steel 3 | 5 | 7
Hogan Edge 4-9
Bettinardi Baby Bee

It may sound strange but I have a Yonex Ezone 420 that I love. It is very traditional looking, medium size head, and feels/sounds very similar to the v-steel to me. I usually play a lower loft and my Ezone is a 10* and is still reasonably low spin. It's a very underrated head and if you keep an eye out you can score a good deal on one.

[quote name='jefka' timestamp='1411316405' post='10157283']
Okay small update. After all the recommendations I spent some time online and found a titleist 983k 9.5 stiff nearby. I was a bit afraid cause I ussualy play a bit higher lofted drivers with a regular shaft (I do know that the indication on the shaft basically means nothing) but the first session on the range went rather well. As I mentioned before I don't "feel shafts" or anything, but overall the driver felt great so I guess the stiff shaft isn't hurting me very badly (non scientific approach here). Ofcourse ball flight is a bit different and distance is tough to judge but it [i]looked[/i] like carry distance was about the same, maybe slightly less but with a nice slighlty lower flight. Since I get my shots airborne rather easy I actually liked the slightly lower flight. Most of my shots started straight but leaked a little bit right, sure a bad swing is still a bad swing but overall my dispersion was a bit tighter with the 983k then the RBZ I also brought along.

Now about that solid thwack that I was searching for. Ofcourse it's not a v-steel fairwaywood so it doesn't feel exactly the same but my oh my I loved the sound and feel of the 983k (it's that solid thwack again instead of a lighweight piiiing). It is much more similar to the v-steel then my other drivers. The 983k feels a bit heavier then the RBZ (not sure if that's true but it feels that way) and I seem to like that. For some reason my mind thinks that with the lightweight RBZ I have to hit harder to get the ball going. I know that's not really true but that's the way my head works. With the 983k feeling a bit heavier I feel more at ease, allowing gravity to make the club fall down and generate speed instead of me trying to swing as hard as I can.

It's an early love affair and it's easy to get excited about new toys but this first session was great.
[/quote]

I have played the 983k since it came out... On my third head and third shaft. What shaft is in it? I have played the V2 and GD YS-6. Mine with the YS-6 is the best feeling and performing driver I have ever hit. I try every year to upgrade, but that feeling stays with me and nothing has outperformed it yet either.

[quote name='donaldp83' timestamp='1411338199' post='10158759']
I have played the 983k since it came out... On my third head and third shaft. What shaft is in it? I have played the V2 and GD YS-6. Mine with the YS-6 is the best feeling and performing driver I have ever hit. I try every year to upgrade, but that feeling stays with me and nothing has outperformed it yet either.
[/quote]

It has the stock fubuki speeder shaft in it. Like I said I was a bit afraid because I read some comments that the speeder is indeed quite firm but sofar it didn't feel like too much of a shaft for me, might not be optimal but not problematic either.

I read allot of good stuff about the YS-6 combined with the 983k.

Bombtech Grenade driver
TM V-Steel 3 | 5 | 7
Hogan Edge 4-9
Bettinardi Baby Bee

I'm not surprised by your choice of the 983. To me, it seems like the ball "gives" with older Titleist drivers. The face feels like it gives with Taylormades. Both feel good.

Taylormade 16' M2 9.5º (Tensei 60 Orange R)

Taylormade 17' M1 HL3 17º (Kuro Kage 70 S)

Titleist 910H 21º and 24º (Stock Diamana Kai'li R)

Srixon 745 5-PW (TT DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM4 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.09S

Titleist SC PP Del Mar 3.5, Odyssey WH Pro 7, Cleveland HB Soft 11.

Royal M Taper 360's

[quote name='jefka' timestamp='1411382406' post='10161021']
[quote name='donaldp83' timestamp='1411338199' post='10158759']
[/quote]

It has the stock fubuki speeder shaft in it. Like I said I was a bit afraid because I read some comments that the speeder is indeed quite firm but sofar it didn't feel like too much of a shaft for me, might not be optimal but not problematic either.

I read allot of good stuff about the YS-6 combined with the 983k.
[/quote]

I'm glad you found something that you like (initially anyway)! After your thread I took my 983k/e to the range again. They have been in the garage since spring. I forgot how great that driver sounds and feels. The 983k is much better suited to my swing than the 983e. I found that on my great shots I was getting more distance in both carry and roll. On my mediocre shots I was losing a bit. On my bad shots... it was bad. I lost a ton of distance. I have a NVS in the 983k right now. The head is a 9.5*. I had it faced up against the driver in my signature... So there is a BIG difference in loft. The 983k looked like a frozen rope on my good shots. I thought it was going to be significantly shorter... but it kept going and going.

Now I have to figure out if I want to try to put that 983k back in the bag. I could really use the forgiveness of the Anser... but the distance is intriguing!!! Thanks a lot OP... :(

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link