Titleist 905 series drivers .... who's still gaming one?

RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior HackerClubWRX Posts: 4,545 ClubWRX
I am gaming a Titleist 905T with a UST PROFORCE AXIVCORE Green 65 (S flex). I prefer the 400cc driver head and the traditional Titleist pear shaped head. Anything bigger in size and I cannot mentally adjust to it. I was thinking of going with a 915 D5 (if the offer this) but after a couple of drives today I may pass. I am plenty long with this driver and can control (somewhat) the shape of the shot I intend to hit. What I cannot control has more to do with me and my swing flaws than the driver itself. That said, I love my 905T and wonder how much more a 915 would offer.

How many are in a similar boat as me and what are you thinking? Thanks in advance.
Taylormade M3 (2018 tour head) 9.9 degree Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
Titleist 906F2 15 degree Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec stiff
Taylormade SLDR 2 Hybrid Graphite Design Tour  AD DI-Hybrid 85 stiff
Ben Hogan '99 Apex Blades (3-PW) Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
Miura 52* GW KBS Tour stiff
Scratch Golf LW Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe Copper plated
BestGrips Augusta Microperf grips

Comments

• SubaruWRXSubaruWRX Members Posts: 3,280 ✭✭
    Still have a 905R in my spare bag. Don't hit it often, but won't ever get rid of it.
    “I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot
  • ATXgolfer ATXgolfer Banned Posts: 1,357
    I was using 905T and loved it.. but switched to a 905R as it was more forgiving. I hate adjustable drivers...

Picked up the 905R with a whiteboard from the used bin at Golfsmith last year for peanuts and its been in the bag since then.
  • HawkeyeDanHawkeyeDan Members Posts: 894
    My dad found a 905r that had been painted white for $20 last summer and games it over his 910. Diamana BB. Thing is great.
  • JimNewtonJimNewton Members Posts: 1,613
    905R is the best. I had a 913 for a few weeks and the R was better than it in every way. I'm looking to grab a couple more 8.5 or 9.5 heads and start trying different shafts.. I had a 10.5 one on ebay and it was gone in 3 minutes. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> Buyer said "this is my all time favorite driver".

I had the speeder stiff in mine back in 2006 and it was really good. Now this NV reg is pretty good as well. I coincidentally have a 905S with the speeder that is going to be swapped in.

My buddy still games a 905T with the NV. I HATED the 905S.
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font]° [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font]
  • VanBTsVanBTs Shankapotamus Members Posts: 598
    Anybody use a 905 with a steel shaft? I know this method was pretty much extinct at that point in history, but I was a little curious as I'm throwing an S300 in my 975J-VS tonight.
    Titleist 910D3 9.5* AD-BB 6x
    TEE CB2 15* ProForce V2 75s
    TEE CB2 18* ProForce V2 75s
    Ping i20 20* TFC707H 82s
    Mizuno MP-14 3-PW S300
    Vokey Oil Can SM4 58.06*
    WITB Link
  • JhuttsterJhuttster Members Posts: 65 ✭✭
    Still gaming my trusty 9.5 905s with grafalloy blue s. just as long as friends, R1's, SLDR's, g25's for me. It just hits mid traj bullets. Wanna go through a fitting to see what potential is though.
    GBB 2016 9* Rouge Silver 110 S
    XR16 15* YS7
    TM 200 Tour 17* YS7...code name "Helen"
    Callaway X Forged 2013 4-PW
    MD Forged 52/58
    Odyssey 1W BWB 34"
  • hougy12hougy12 Members Posts: 349
    Still rockin' the 905S. Can't seem to find anything that performs better. The Bridgestone J33r came the closest, but it's long gone.
    Mizuno MP650 8.5 - Xcaliber Tour 6+ TS
    Titleist 906F2 13 - Xcaliber Tour Fairway TS
    Ping I20 17 hybrid - Matrix Altus X-stiff
    Ping S57 3-W Dynamic Gold X100
    Ping Tour W 54 & 60 - Dynamic Gold S400
    Odyssey Protype 2
  • jakedumasjakedumas Members Posts: 139 ClubWRX
    905s 9.5º with stock Speeder here. Was fit for it back in 2006. Have toyed around with others but gave up. I recently bought another identical 905s so I could have a back up. I am also loyal to my 904f 15º. I do have 714 AP1s so I'm not totally in the "stone age."
  • sheffieldsheffield Members Posts: 263 ✭✭
    Alternating between my 8.5* 905S with Graf Blue S and recently acquired Cobra BCP. I can control the flight of the 905S better than any other driver I've hit and nothing feels as solid. Big event = 905S in the bag.
  • backbonzbackbonz Members Posts: 404
    Still have a 905R with blueboard in the spare bag. I can't seem to let it go even though it hasn't been it for awhile.
  • CDMCDM Members Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    edited Sep 20, 2014 #12
    905s with Graf BLUE. Back up gamer now and not going anywhere. Was in the bag at the beginning of the summer. BIO CELL PRO kicked it out.
  • ElJefe26ElJefe26 Unregistered Posts: 551 ✭✭
    Does anybody know if Titleist will still re-shaft 905 series drivers? I know there are many competent clubmakers who can do it, but with that long, bore-thru hosel I just always preferred Titleist to do it back in the day.
  • BobBadgerBobBadger Members Posts: 155
    905r v2 in the corner of my man cave (with 906f2) won't get rid of either. As with many on here always looking for the perfect driver but in reality not many better than 905r.
  • MyShortGameSucksMyShortGameSucks His doesn't.... Members Posts: 1,347 ✭✭
    BobBadger wrote:

905r v2 in the corner of my man cave (with 906f2) won't get rid of either. As with many on here always looking for the perfect driver but in reality not many better than 905r.

+1.

I have a 905r 8.5deg with a Fuji TW74x. One of my favorite drivers of all time. Really under-rated shaft too. First ever driver I got fitted for on a LM. It's retired now and has earned a spot in one of my Titleist staff bags my home office!
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero Custom All-Black 10.5 deg, Diamana Ahina 60x
    TM 790 UDI 2 iron / PX Hzrdus 85
    Titleist 816H1 19 deg, Fuji 88H
    Titleist 816H2 23 deg, Fuji 88H
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-7, Tour 8-PW. Nippon Modus 105x
    Mizuno S18, 50, 54, 58 deg - Nippon Modus 120s
    SC Futura XR / SC Golo 5 / SC Notchback
    Bridgestone B330 - B
  • puttitinputtitin Members Posts: 1,383 ✭✭
    BobBadger wrote:

I hit the exact same combo yesterday.In fact it was a driver I'd sold to a pal,and he lent it to me as I was visiting him this weekend. Man it brought back memories......
    Driver : WISHON 919 THI + XXIO 9
    Woods :  TM M2 3W + 5W
    Hybrids : TM M2 RESCUE 22° + 25°
    Irons : JPX-800-HD  + TM R7 XD + PING RAPTUR V2 (Wishon 771 CSI for sale)
    Wedges : MIZUNO MX-200 50-07 MIZUNO MX SERIES 55-12
    Putter : ODYSSEY WHITE HOT  RX  #2
  • MBA-JMBA-J Mr. November Members Posts: 1,131
    I've been battling a "power fade" all season long. However, I recalled that my best driving in the past 10 years occurred a few years ago with a Titleist 905T. As I have added a considerable amount of strength since then and now put a lot more spin on the ball, I purchased a 905S to get similar results with less spin. Mission accomplished. I'm able to release the smaller clubhead much more effectively, and my power fade is now a soft fade or straight shot. Within the 905 series, the S is now my new favorite. The T is a close second, while the R was too high launching and too high spinning for my swing characteristics. Awesome clubs.
    TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 8.5° Driver == Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
    TaylorMade 2017 M2 Tour 15° FW == Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
    Titleist 816H2 19° Hybrid == Veylix Rome 988 S+
    Miura 1957 Small Blade 4-PW Irons == TT Project X LZ 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50°, 54°, 58° Custom Wedges == TT Project X LZ 6.5
    Titleist Scotty Cameron "Cameron & Crown" M2 Putter
    Nike RZN Tour Black Golf Balls
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX Posts: 4,545 ClubWRX

Resurrecting an old thread.

I've been gaming a couple of Taylormade drivers the since the beginning of last year's golf season (2016 M1 9.5 degree 430cc and this year a 2018 M3 9.5 degree 440cc) with marginal success. Both TM drivers have the same Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6S shaft as the baseline. I took out my previous gamer, a 905S with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6S (full bore insertion) and just plane hammered the ball. The 905S seems a just a tad heavier in terms of swingweight but impact feels much more solid. While the comparison is on the range the 905S doesn't seem significantly shorter, if at all. The shot dispersion is much tighter with the 905S and I am able to hit drives right to left (draw) without much effort. I've got a 905T 9.5 degree coming (new, never been hit). I am looking forward to continuing the testing and to add the NOS 905T (with the probability of, you guess it, of installing a Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6S. I will probably do a blind bore install (2.5" - 3").

I know many will state newer drivers go farther, which may be true. There's something with the last three new drivers I purchased that from testing/demo/fitting that isn't translating from the initial session to putting it in play. These were the Titleist 915 D3 9.5, and the two Taylormade drivers. The 905S is simply performing on par with these three and shot dispersion is much tighter. At the end of the day the game is easier hitting fairways, even if the drive is 10 yards shorter. To me there is just something with the classic Titleist series of drivers from the 975 through 905 (400cc heads) that simply resonates to me.

• agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 761 ✭✭
    edited May 16, 2019 2:19am #19

@RobotDoctor said:
    I know many will state newer drivers go farther, which may be true. There's something with the last three new drivers I purchased that from testing/demo/fitting that isn't translating from the initial session to putting it in play. These were the Titleist 915 D3 9.5, and the two Taylormade drivers. The 905S is simply performing on par with these three and shot dispersion is much tighter. At the end of the day the game is easier hitting fairways, even if the drive is 10 yards shorter. To me there is just something with the classic Titleist series of drivers from the 975 through 905 (400cc heads) that simply resonates to me.

Maybe try a TS4 when they come out or get a 915 D4 head? I think the swingweight on the newer Titleist are still lighter (unless you adjust it) but the feel may be closer to the 905S with the CG closer to the face.

I never hit the 905 series but have an old 983E that I play with a few times a year. I could hit the 983E farther than the modern 460 cc drivers I had played, but the foul balls were much worse to the point where it wasn't a good option to play every round. The 905s are a bit bigger (vs. the 983E), so they may be more stable on off-centre hits.

Personally, I don't really care about the smaller clubhead size. I only care about what I see when I look up and whether the ball flight/trajectory is good. In theory, I believe the 460 cc heads are a better option for me in principal (and for most in general), but I haven't found one combo that is just right yet (mostly tried various D2/D3s, 2016 M2, and GMax). Partly, I seem to like looking down at more loft and it seems like I can get a better ball flight with a head that has the CG closer to the face. Of course, this is still making the mis-hits worse, but they are not as bad as they are with the 983E.

Edit: I'm not sure there is much difference between the Titleist options listed above and the M1 430/M3 440 other than brand preference.

Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Callaway X Hot Pro 19* Fairway, Project X Velocity 6.0
    TaylorMade Raylor 22*, Raylor RE*AX S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX Posts: 4,545 ClubWRX

@agolf1 said:

@RobotDoctor said:

Maybe try a TS4 when they come out or get a 915 D4 head? I think the swingweight on the newer Titleist are still lighter (unless you adjust it) but the feel may be closer to the 905S with the CG closer to the face.

I never hit the 905 series but have an old 983E that I play with a few times a year. I could hit the 983E farther than the modern 460 cc drivers I had played, but the foul balls were much worse to the point where it wasn't a good option to play every round. The 905s are a bit bigger (vs. the 983E), so they may be more stable on off-centre hits.

Personally, I don't really care about the smaller clubhead size. I only care about what I see when I look up and whether the ball flight/trajectory is good. In theory, I believe the 460 cc heads are a better option for me in principal (and for most in general), but I haven't found one combo that is just right yet (mostly tried various D2/D3s, 2016 M2, and GMax). Partly, I seem to like looking down at more loft and it seems like I can get a better ball flight with a head that has the CG closer to the face. Of course, this is still making the mis-hits worse, but they are not as bad as they are with the 983E.

Edit: I'm not sure there is much difference between the Titleist options listed above and the M1 430/M3 440 other than brand preference.

The 983E was an outstanding driver for it's day. The deep face and lower launch was definitely the tougher of the two models (other being 983K). I have both models in a bag in my garage. The 905 series is definitely easier to hit, even on off center hits. While the 905S and 905T are probably not as forgiving on off center hits compared to a 460cc driver of today, they are still pretty manageable. It's odd that I have a tighter shot dispersion with my 905S than current day drivers. I also like a smaller head as this seems to make working the ball right to left or left to right a lot easier. At the end of the day it is about controlling the flight and direction of a golf ball. Having a driver I can trust is incredibly important. I also love the look of the Titleist pear shape in the 975/983/905 series. That figures since I started playing in the 80s and started with laminate and persimmon woods. I quickly developed a fondness to Cleveland Classics woods which led me to the classic MacGregor woods of the 50s (693, M43, M85, 945). That pear shape is pleasing to my eye and indirectly makes me believe I can hit the ball well. Who ever said golf is more of a mental game? They were right.