Any recommendations for an April/May golf trip?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

take a look at the distances between the courses of the RTJ trail. It can be a good bit of driving for some mediocre golf. That being said it is cheap so if you are budget conscious its a good choice.

Bandon is the obvious choice if you want to go big. Its not easy to get to but once you are there, you are there. If you need any convincing just go to the website and check out the videos they have made of each of their courses. Bandon is expensive, but when compared to mediocre/overpriced golf resorts all of the country it really isn't that terrible.

Streamsong in central florida is a really good choice. Although its in the middle of nowhere its fairly easy to get to only 1.5 hrs from orlando or Tampa. The courses are both great, and its like nothing else in Florida. As of now there are only 2 courses so if you're looking for some variety you can easily hit up the orlando courses or even drive to Sawgrass. They also have amazing bass fishing, and trap shooting if you're into it.

The Arizona trips are a decent choice. There is a good bit of quality accessible golf over AZ. The perk is that you can do this trip cheap or expensive depending on how you want to go about it.

[quote name='poppyhillsguy' timestamp='1411407616' post='10163171']
What is the budget? Is this trip focused around golf or do you want nightlife activty as well?

Pure golf, unlimited budget: Bandon, Reynolods Plantation
Budget Golf, nightlife is important: Barefoot or Legends Myrtle Beach.
[/quote]

Just to clarify, I don't think Bandon in April or May (certainly not in April) would qualify as needing an unlimited budget. I go in March and it's downright cheap - probably costs me about $300-400 more than a Myrtle Beach trip would cost. And it's definitely going to be less than someplace like Pinehurst or Reynolds Plantation (partially because April/May are peak season in those locations).

What is the budget? Is this trip focused around golf or do you want nightlife activty as well?

[/quote]Strictly focused on good golf. Would Bandon be too cold in April/May?

[quote name='Chris_NH' timestamp='1411434151' post='10165961']

[/quote]

Just to clarify, I don't think Bandon in April or May (certainly not in April) would qualify as needing an unlimited budget. I go in March and it's downright cheap - probably costs me about $300-400 more than a Myrtle Beach trip would cost. And it's definitely going to be less than someplace like Pinehurst or Reynolds Plantation (partially because April/May are peak season in those locations).
[/quote]Is Bandon too cold in April/May?

[quote name='wildcat02' timestamp='1411481687' post='10168501']
[quote name='Chris_NH' timestamp='1411434151' post='10165961']

[/quote]

[/quote]Is Bandon too cold in April/May?
[/quote]

Probably depends upon each person's tolerance. I've been twice in March and we've been surprised/lucky with better-than-average weather. You need to layer and be prepared for the potential for cool/cold, rainy, and windy - then count yourself lucky when you get something else. Then again, that weather is part of the appeal of the place IMO - it's links golf, after all.

[url="http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/97411"]http://www.weather.c...hly/graph/97411[/url]

We're headed out again this year in March - it will probably be our "payback for all the perfect weather" trip ;-)

I would not discount Pinehurst. There are 40+ quality golf courses and diverse housing options which can make the trip very affordable. April/May is the prime time in the Carolinas, the weather will be fantastic and the charm, history and quality of golf cannot be matched anywhere in America.

You have options of rental homes, rental condos, limited service hotels up to five star resorts.

How many in your group?

I've gone to the RTJ trails for years, we have 16-20 every year and live in the southeast so its a pretty good location for us to meet. The trip we have done is usually 400-500 for Golf and Hotel we usually play 4 days of 36 each day. The courses are very nice, unique and most of them are "out" meaning no houses, roads, distractions. That said we always go first week of June so it is hot but the rates are the cheapest then. Obviously its not gonna be Bandon, but if I were planning it, (and I've played most of it) I would make sure to play Capitol Hill in Prattville, three courses there, the Judge (Signature course) which has the best opening tee shot on the trail, The Legislator, and the Senator, a links style course that the LPGA just played last weekend. I would also go to Auburn, about an hour away, I loved grand national, they have 2 Full courses, one just hosted the NCAA championship, and they also have a par three course. Birmingham also has a couple good tracks, Ross Bridge is probably the best of the entire trail, Muscle Shoals courses are good too with Fighting Joe playing over 8000 from the tips. But if it were me I would do Prattville, Auburn and Bham, and just to throw another one in there, there's a really cool course just outside of Bham thats called FarmLinks, Its made for golf trips, they have cabins, they prepare all your meals, and the course is awesome.

Kind of long winded but I hope this helps. Enjoy the trip

• 2 weeks later...

Bandon would probably be a good choice if you wanted a more "quiet" trip, centered around only golf, and the courses are second to none. The only two things that put a negative vote on Bandon is it can be pricey, and I would imagine you are running the risk of it being quite cold there that time of year, and its not like you can get away from the wind there either.

Vegas is the obvious choice if you guys want the best night life to go with your golf. You can more than likely fly and stay there cheaper than anywhere else. The catch with Vegas is that golf there is very expensive. Finding a round there under $100 is quite an accomplishment.

Myrtle is always an obvious choice, and that is by far the best time of year for weather down there. My dad and I went down for a trip during Masters week, and the weather and course conditions were perfect. Night life is always good around there, even though a lot of the gentleman's clubs have shut down because of the weird tax law there now. There are a ton of courses to choose from there, and the package deals are always a good deal, but that is the most expensive time of the year to play golf down there.

Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana D+
Bio Cell + 5-7
MP 53 4-PW
Edel 58*
Ping TR 1966 Anser

I'll only deal with those places where I've played.

Bandon in April & May is pleasant. (I go there every December and often it is sunny & 60 degrees F. It can also be 40 degrees with torrential rain.) The April 2015 rate for resort guests is $180 (no tax); the May rate is $245.

Monterey CA often has great weather in May. The past three years I've gone there and never seen rain. Even if your group doesn't want to play Pebble Beach, the Bayonet / Blackhorse courses are excellent & within your budget. Pacific Grove is a great value.

Phoenix may be hot in May. (I've only gone in December & January.) There are so many good public courses.

Likewise Palm Springs may be a little warm in May. The public courses there are okay.

(Las Vegas does not have great golf.)