All Things Michigan Golf....the Mulligan

Comments

• backhillbackhill Members Posts: 102 ✭✭

I got out and walked a decently quick 9 at ROGC. I practiced lagging and short game a lot otherwise I could’ve been quicker. There was a group of hs or college aged kids in front of me and one of them kept duffing, and running after the ball, duffing/shanking again, running after the ball, etc. and leaving his bag behind. Did this multiple times on a par 5 and had to scurry back 70-90 yards for his bag. Strangest thing I’ve seen in a while, but they were cool and let me play through.> @jcorna01 said:

Any recommendations for accessing a launch monitor to determine distances with new irons? I know Miles/Carl’s offer gap fittings for $125 or so but wondering if there were other cheaper options.

Don Price at DC Golf Studio in Royal Oak will give you time/fitting for about ~$50-75 on his indoor SkyTrak system. He has a lot of iron shafts (KBS, Modus, etc), but doesn't carry much inventory in heads or woods shafts too if you want to try out a few things.

@1puttTUT said:
    Well I found a good deal on new irons so I took the plunge: Mizuno 919 forged with Modus 105s shafts. They should be waiting for me when I get back from Florida!

Awesome! Love the feel of Modus, and they spin well for me. I want to jump to Modus from my C-tapers but can't convince myself fully.

• 3 Jack Par3 Jack Par I only answer to "Ace" now Members, ClubWRX Posts: 6,080 ClubWRX

@backhill said:
    Awesome! Love the feel of Modus, and they spin well for me. I want to jump to Modus from my C-tapers but can't convince myself fully.

Way back in '15 when I got fit for my irons, the shafts that were under consideration after testing a lot of different options were X100, C Taper, and Modus 120. All of them gave me decent results, but the Modus 120 was just that little bit more consistent, and also has a smooth feel that I prefer. The 120 has a pretty soft handle, which makes it feel softer than the flex, but I find that it does perform like other x-flex shafts I've used. The 130 is completely different and has a very stiff handle, and for me, it doesn't fit at all. From what I've heard, the 125 is kind of a blend of the two. If you do switch, I'd recommend you do some testing beforehand, if possible to find the model that's best for you.

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 8*, Aldila Rogue 125 70TX
    Tour issue TaylorMade M2 Tour, 14.9*, Aldila Rogue 125 80TX
    Srixon Z u45 18* Nippon Modus3 120x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) HZRDUS Black 85X or Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x
    Scratch SB-1 3-PW, Nippon Modus3 120x
    Titleist Vokey Forged 52F & 58K, DG S400,  Titleist Vokey SM6 62* M-Grind DG S200 (sometimes)
    Byron Morgan B-17, 35", Blue Oil
    WITB Link
    edited Mar 28, 2019 3:41pm #8585

@3 Jack Par said:

@backhill said:

Way back in '15 when I got fit for my irons, the shafts that were under consideration after testing a lot of different options were X100, C Taper, and Modus 120. All of them gave me decent results, but the Modus 120 was just that little bit more consistent, and also has a smooth feel that I prefer. The 120 has a pretty soft handle, which makes it feel softer than the flex, but I find that it does perform like other x-flex shafts I've used. The 130 is completely different and has a very stiff handle, and for me, it doesn't fit at all. From what I've heard, the 125 is kind of a blend of the two. If you do switch, I'd recommend you do some testing beforehand, if possible to find the model that's best for you.

I run C-Taper Lite in Stiff at 110g in my 3-PW. I can get my 6i into the high 90s/low 100s if I'm putting the beans to it at this weight. I came from Burner 2.0s with 85g shafts so this was a huge change. I first used C-Taper S+ 125 and had trouble getting the long irons up.

The catalyst for looking into different shafts was that toward the end of last year I was swaying forward in transition with both the lower and upper body, causing super low stingers with the CTLs. I went to the Modus 105 which felt similar, but had a softer handle than the CTL, but felt really good in the tip. It felt like there was not too much play in the tip and my dispersion (eyeball test) was pretty good. I loved the Nippon 950 and 1050 and without changing anything else, they launched and spun much better with the leaning issue but it was all feel and range sessions without monitors. Since then, my approach to it is it's the indian, not the arrow and I've been focused on keeping my head behind the ball at impact to keep launch/spin up and so far have been successful, but I may still need help optimizing and equipment setup may be the key.

I'm very attached to my 714 AP2s and CTL combo. I bought a set of 718s with AMT White S300s and went on a monitor in January and compared the CTL against the AMT White S300 and to see how the weight progression worked through the iron set. The biggest take away was distance was virtually the same and they spun 700rpm more in the 9i. I didn't focus much on the longer irons because my biggest concern was the impact on my swing at the top of the set and the shaft weight hitting upwards of 127-130g in the 9i and PW, respectively, and being able to load that heavy of a shaft. On the long Irons, my carry was a little longer in 4-6i since they were lighter and easier to whip at speed, but not materially and I was leary of changing up my gapping.

I think I'll be getting fitted throughout the whole bag because to this point my set has been thrown together based on feel and gapping needs with the exception of the driver and 3w.

• repernareperna Members Posts: 251 ✭✭

this collarbone cannot heal faster now! these things are pure!!

• 1puttTUT1puttTUT Lefty with occasional game Members Posts: 3,345 ✭✭

450 polo's and jackets going to birdie bundle next month! Things are going well...
    Super pumped for the season to start as well. I got a few rounds in down in Florida and it's gonna be nice to keep the momentum going. I'll probably play a couple times next week. Already have a Wednesday tee time at Twin Lakes and I might walk nine at Katke on tues or thurs.

Cobra F8 10.5D w/ Hazardous Yellow
    Cobra F8 16* w/ Aldila Blue 2KXVs
    Titleist 915H 18* w/Aldila Rogue 95MSI
    Titleist 913H 21* w/Diamana 92Hy
    Titleist 915H 24* w/Diamana 92Hy
    Mizuno 919F 66-GW w/Nippon Modus3 105s
    Titleist Vokey SM6 54*/58* w/ Nippon Modus3 125s
    TP Mills Trad II roundneck

@reperna said:
    this collarbone cannot heal faster now! these things are pure!!

So I just put 2 and 2 together and figured out you're thatsjerry_9 on IG lol. Btw I'm 2undertut. Love the NCW's btw!

Haha that’s me! Thanks man. We’ll have to get out and swing em sometime

Awesome win by sparty today...I love seeing Duke go down and bust everyone's brackets!

@1puttTUT said:
    Awesome win by sparty today...I love seeing Duke go down and bust everyone's brackets!

MSU and Auburn completely torched everyone's bracket. All of my roommates were in town this weekend and we lit it up at the bars last night. That game was all-time.

Walked 9 at Katke today. Loving the Mizzy 919F's. Great flight and distance. Shot a 38...very pleased for this time of year. 18 at Twin lakes on the agenda for tmrw.

So Ari from national customs just walked into my work and hand delivered my wedges haha today just got a lot better!

• swizbeatzswizbeatz Members Posts: 5,612 ✭✭

Cut and rolled my home courses greens for the first time, really nice to see the ball roll end over end. Probably an 11 on the stimp already and pure. Made my second albatross with a 3 wood from 260 last week.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

@swizbeatz said:
    Cut and rolled my home courses greens for the first time, really nice to see the ball roll end over end. Probably an 11 on the stimp already and pure. Made my second albatross with a 3 wood from 260 last week.

****! Congrats....

@1puttTUT said:

@swizbeatz said:

****! Congrats....

Thanks, pretty lucky for sure. I’ve got the 2 along with 4 aces in the last 7 years or so. As you can probably tell I just followed you on IG as well.

@swizbeatz said:

@1puttTUT said:

@swizbeatz said:

****! Congrats....

Thanks, pretty lucky for sure. I’ve got the 2 along with 4 aces in the last 7 years or so. As you can probably tell I just followed you on IG as well.

Saw that, thanks...good looking swing btw 👌

@1puttTUT said:
    Alright guys, I need a huge favor. The next time you're at Carl's, please request them to carry our brand (Benjamin David golf). I met with Derek, the merchandise VP and he seemed interested, but needed a push, saying if he knew there was a demand he would be in. So next time you're in there ask for us...beers on me!

will do...i stop in there a decent amount as i work across the street!

@1puttTUT said:
    Alright guys, I need a huge favor. The next time you're at Carl's, please request them to carry our brand (Benjamin David golf). I met with Derek, the merchandise VP and he seemed interested, but needed a push, saying if he knew there was a demand he would be in. So next time you're in there ask for us...beers on me!

Well ****, I was just in there yesterday. Any time I'm in I'll be sure to ask. Either store?

@1puttTUT said:

@backhill said:

@1puttTUT said:

Well ****, I was just in there yesterday. Any time I'm in I'll be sure to ask. Either store?

Yeah either store is fine. I only deal with Bloomfield store, but I don't want anyone to go out of there way.

Also, if anyone wants to borrow a putter for a week or two just to try for fun I'd be happy to get one in your hands. No sales pitch, I just want to get feedback.

Will do. I work west side and pop into the Plymouth store at lunch, but live closer to the Bloomfield store, and go in there for the better selection/range.

@1puttTUT said:

@backhill said:

@1puttTUT said:

Yeah either store is fine. I only deal with Bloomfield store, but I don't want anyone to go out of there way.

Also, if anyone wants to borrow a putter for a week or two just to try for fun I'd be happy to get one in your hands. No sales pitch, I just want to get feedback.

I will probably take you up on that sometime. I love putters haha

• timbo08timbo08 Members Posts: 2,075 ✭✭

Quick question, any one play the Natural up in Gaylord in the past few years? Need an arrival round for our buddies trip in May that's near Gaylord as we like to snag dinner there and hit up Wally World before making our way to BOYNE to check in. Last year we did the Loon and weren't super impressed with it but it wasn't bad. The two year's before we did Otsego and while I know ownership has changed, I'm not very pumped to go back there again. The other options were Harbor Pointe or Gaylord CC but we got the best deal on the Natural and I've heard good things so that's what we were going with unless anyone has any horror stories/advice otherwise?

• 3 Jack Par3 Jack Par I only answer to "Ace" now Members, ClubWRX Posts: 6,080 ClubWRX

@timbo08 said:
    Quick question, any one play the Natural up in Gaylord in the past few years? Need an arrival round for our buddies trip in May that's near Gaylord as we like to snag dinner there and hit up Wally World before making our way to BOYNE to check in. Last year we did the Loon and weren't super impressed with it but it wasn't bad. The two year's before we did Otsego and while I know ownership has changed, I'm not very pumped to go back there again. The other options were Harbor Pointe or Gaylord CC but we got the best deal on the Natural and I've heard good things so that's what we were going with unless anyone has any horror stories/advice otherwise?

It's a short course that plays thorugh the woods on most of the holes. It's not one I'd go out of my way to play, but it's generally in decent shape. Around Gaylord, given the problems there have been in recent years at Otsego Club and Black Forest/Wilderness Valley, Michaywe is my top recommendation. You might want to consider the Alpine at Boyne Mountain (they might also cut you a deal if you already have a package at the Highlands) or Little Traverse Bay.

Srixon Z u45 18* Nippon Modus3 120x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) HZRDUS Black 85X or Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x
    Titleist Vokey Forged 52F & 58K, DG S400,  Titleist Vokey SM6 62* M-Grind DG S200 (sometimes)
    WITB Link

Didn't Otsego shut down last May? Did it ever re-open?

@3 Jack Par said:

@timbo08 said:

It's a short course that plays thorugh the woods on most of the holes. It's not one I'd go out of my way to play, but it's generally in decent shape. Around Gaylord, given the problems there have been in recent years at Otsego Club and Black Forest/Wilderness Valley, Michaywe is my top recommendation. You might want to consider the Alpine at Boyne Mountain (they might also cut you a deal if you already have a package at the Highlands) or Little Traverse Bay.

Thanks! We have a tee time at the Ross right now but some of the guys don't like it because it's hard in their minds, and they didn't want to drive to the Mountain to play either the Alpine or Monument so we were kind of looking for something on the cheaper side since and I quote "$47.70 is too much for the Ross". Needless to say we got the Natural for $29 but it's just so **** hard to please everyone. I thought about Michaywe and LTB too as those were my choices.

• 155 Funson155 Funson Members Posts: 30 ✭✭

@backhill said:

It's re-opening in May under the new ownership, read that in the latest Michigan Golfer's magazine.

Trying out a new long iron or two, hows this for a mixed bag? I don’t even have matching finishes on the wedges.

Ping g400 Max IZ
    TM M2 4 wood Oban HB
    Titleist 816 3 hybrid Speeder TS
    TM P790 5/6 Steelfiber i95
    Epon 302 6-pw Black KBS tours
    Titleist AP2 50* gap wedge
    Scratch hand ground raw 56
    Scratch FIT 60
    Bettinardi arm lock

edited Apr 8, 2019 10:02pm #8608

I have as many brands, but not nearly as many different shafts.
    Driver - Callaway
    3w - TM
    Driving Iron - Srixon
    3-PW - Scratch
    53/58 - Scratch, but might be switching at least one to Vokey Forged K Grind, at least until I remember how to hit out of greenside sand
    Putter - Byron Morgan or Betti

I have Modus3 120 in the driving iron through PW, and then go to Dynamic Gold in the wedges. My driver and 3w shafts match each other (125MSI Rogue Silver), too.

Post edited by 3 Jack Par on
    WITB Link

Y'all make me feel like I have too uniform of a bag.

@155 Funson said:

@backhill said:

It's re-opening in May under the new ownership, read that in the latest Michigan Golfer's magazine.

Yea I think I am going to wait and see though, let some others take a crack at it and give out their opinions first. The previous ownership group really let that place go down hill unfortunately. which sucks because the Tribute was a really fun track. However, the conditions it was in when our group played it in 2017 were just awful and I can't imagine it got better.

@timbo08 said:

@155 Funson said:

@backhill said:

Yea I think I am going to wait and see though, let some others take a crack at it and give out their opinions first. The previous ownership group really let that place go down hill unfortunately. which sucks because the Tribute was a really fun track. However, the conditions it was in when our group played it in 2017 were just awful and I can't imagine it got better.

I stayed in a house on the Classic last year during a trip, and they were maintaining the course, despite it being closed, so that gives me some hope that the new owners will get it together. Previous ownership was a total **** show, that's for sure.

WITB Link