2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Review: Fossil Trace Golf Club

italianstallion

Fossil Trace Golf Club is a public course located about 25 minutes west of Denver, CO in the town of Golden. The course is routed through rolling terrain near the foothills of the Rocky Mountains and near a plateau with some interesting rock formations. The course also passes through rock features which include fossilized plants and animals from the age of the dinosaurs, and thus the namesake of the course.

Coming in at 6,831 yards from the tips, the course is what I would consider an average length course. However, once you factor in the thin air at the mile-high elevation of the course, the course plays even shorter. Having never played golf at the mile-high altitude, I didn’t truly believe the distances a ball could travel at such elevations. But within my first three holes I had a pretty good idea that the myths were all true: the ball flies significantly further in Colorado than anywhere else I’ve played. Iron shots were a full club and a half longer and my driver was easily 50 yards longer than it is back on the east coast at sea level. It’s actually quite fun playing at such an altitude: not only are you hitting your clubs further, but watching the ball soar against the backdrop of mountains and mesas at Fossil Trace is one of the best feelings I’ve had in golf.

As gorgeous as Fossil Trace is, it also can be a polarizing course. My group elected to play from the T-Rex tees, which combine the tips and the men’s tees to arrive at a yardage of 6,577 yards. On the front nine, a few of the holes are blind off the tee; namely one, two and three. While there are some generous fairways on the course, there are plenty of holes that demand accuracy off the tee. Less than perfect drives on 1, 2, 4, 6, 12, 13, and 15 will wind up in the waist high grasses that frame every hole at Fossil Trace. Be aware: it’ll be easier to find a rattlesnake in these grasses than it will be to find your ball, so I wouldn’t venture very far in. Adding to the polarity of the course are some funky approach shots, greenside bunker positions, and oh yeah all those rocks that dot the fairway on the 12th hole. If you find yourself in the wrong spots all day, your best bet is to forget about your golf game and focus on the beauty that surrounds you.

I didn’t find Fossil Trace polarizing, and here’s why: I hit the ball incredibly well the day I played. Many of the holes fit my eye, and at the elevation we were at the course was playing incredibly short which allowed me to get super aggressive on a lot of tee shots to set up great scoring opportunities. This is why I’m tempted to say that Fossil Trace might be the most fun golf course I have ever played. All the par 5’s are reachable with a tee-shot that is long and in play. Driveable par fours are exemplified by the 320 yard 2nd hole, the 333 yard 10th hole (which plays shorter straight over the pond to the green), and the downhill 394 yard 13th. There are also some really fun and short par 3s, such as the wedge shot on the 5th hole, the downhill 11th hole, and the 16th hole. A good player will not only have plenty of birdie putts on this course, but they’ll also have more than a few putts for eagle.

Conditions at Fossil Trace were top notch. The driving range grass was some of the best I’ve seen on any driving range anywhere. Fairways were pristine as was the primary cut of rough. The bunkers are a bit soft so do make sure you take an aggressive swing to get out. The greens are very undulating in some spots, which can lead to some awkward putts, but they roll absolutely true and are a good balance between fast and average which makes them well suited to daily play.

All in we paid $75 each for a round here, including range balls and carts with GPS. For the views, the conditions, and the fun that you’ll have my foursome believed that we got a lot of value for our dollar in the Denver area.

-Vince

The view from the driving range looking down the first hole

112178587.jpg

The approach into the par 5 first hole

112178473.jpg

A look at the 151 yard third hole

112178479.jpg

A look back on the 480 yard 4th hole, certainly the most demanding drive on the course off the tee

112178481.jpg

The chip shot over the pond on the 95 yard 5th hole

112178483.jpg

The 7th hole is a short uphill par 4 with plenty of strategy to consider off the tee. I really like the look of this treeless hole framed by the tall grasses with the hills in the background

112178489.jpg

The 412 yard 8th hole

112178494.jpg

A look at the surroundings from 8

112178491.jpg

The 9th is a monster par five of 659 yards from the tips. But the thin air will make this reachable for a long hitter

112178496.jpg

A look at the tee shot on 10, which is driveable if the player takes it directly over the lake

112178584.jpg

11 is a short par-3 of 186 yards perfectly cut into a hollow

112178507.jpg

The par-5 12th hole is certainly one of the most photogentic holes on the course, and is fairly easy if you can avoid the rock formations

112178517.jpg

112178589.jpg

112178523.jpg

The driveable par-4 13th has you hitting back towards the plateau, and a world famous brewery.

112178540.jpg

A look from behind the 13th

112178529.jpg

Another demanding tee shot awaits on the par 5 15th hole

112178554.jpg

15th green

112178548.jpg

A look back at 15

112178579.jpg

The short 16th, the Alamo of my round

112178556.jpg

Tee shot on 17

112178561.jpg

18th tee

112178576.jpg

18th approach

112178568.jpg

Card

photo8_zpscce64965.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Fossil Trace. I don't love the blind tee shot on 1 and the reachable tee shot on 10, since they tend to slow down play from the get-go regardless of which hole you start on, and I really wish those high voltage power lines didn't mar the aesthetics of 4-8. But other than that, it's a great course, well maintained and the price is very fair for what you get.

Very nice review and pictures! Thanks for sharing.

What is the stone pillar in the "approach shot to the first hole" picture?

Callaway Rouge ST Max LS 10.5* Ventus Blue 6S
Callaway XHP 15* AD DI 7s
Callaway Apex UW 19* AD DI 7S

Ping Icrossover 4 Kai'li White 80s
Ping S55 Nippon Modus 120x
Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58*
Byron Morgan DH89

Snell MTB-X or Titleist ProV1

Great reviews and pics. I played this course several years ago and it was really cool. I've heard some people call it a bit too "touristy" due to the fossil mounds and such, but I thought it was a really cool and unique course and would gladly play it again. On an everyday basis maybe not so much, but I thought it was fun. And as a midwesterner it certainly was fun to play at altitude. Beautiful pics with the contrast of the landscape and the blue sky.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank for the review! It's undoubtedly a beautiful course and always in great shape

[quote name='mlesser' timestamp='1416325915' post='10466425']
Thanks for sharing..... I am really missing sunny weather right now.

As for Fossil Trace, I played it now once or twice and that was enough. Just not a fan of gimmick holes, etc. I believe this is a great course for a corporate tournament
[/quote]

I agree. I grew up near there and have played it 10+ times and it can be very penalizing with the deep bunkers and the undulations on the greens. It's fun to play every once in a while but for my $75-$85 I'm playing Bear Dance.

As for Fossil Trace, I played it now once or twice and that was enough. Just not a fan of gimmick holes, etc. I believe this is a great course for a corporate tournament
[/quote]

Just curious as to what you think is "gimmicky"? I get that the mining equipment can make the back 9 feel a little bit like mini golf (although they're not remotely in play and my understanding is that it was all abandoned on the site years ago), and the oven-thingy on the first hole too (which one probably wouldn't think twice about if it was a tree), but other than those two items, I don't think that the layout is unreasonable. It's not target golf; I don't think the fairways are unreasonably narrow. There are a couple undulating, multi-level greens, but those are present at many high end courses. I feel like objectively looking at the holes, they're reasonable and well-constructed.

[quote name='Awal' timestamp='1416335763' post='10467479']

[/quote]

Just curious as to what you think is "gimmicky"? I get that the mining equipment can make the back 9 feel a little bit like mini golf (although they're not remotely in play and my understanding is that it was all abandoned on the site years ago), and the oven-thingy on the first hole too (which one probably wouldn't think twice about if it was a tree), but other than those two items, I don't think that the layout is unreasonable. It's not target golf; I don't think the fairways are unreasonably narrow. There are a couple undulating, multi-level greens, but those are present at many high end courses. I feel like objectively looking at the holes, they're reasonable and well-constructed.
[/quote]

To chime in...I think the punchbowl green complex on 2, stone columns in the fairway on 12, and the ski slope green on 14 are a bit gimmicky. If you miss your spots off the tee at Fossil Trace you're in trouble fast and if you're not on the right tier on the greens you've got a good chance at 3-putting. To me the course is very much target golf.

With that being said, it can be a fun course to play because of the scenery as well as the elevation changes on a lot of the holes. It's just not a course that I go back to frequently.

[quote name='MrMileHigh' timestamp='1416438013' post='10474735']

[/quote]

[/quote]

To chime in...I think the punchbowl green complex on 2, stone columns in the fairway on 12, and the ski slope green on 14 are a bit gimmicky. If you miss your spots off the tee at Fossil Trace you're in trouble fast and if you're not on the right tier on the greens you've got a good chance at 3-putting. To me the course is very much target golf.

With that being said, it can be a fun course to play because of the scenery as well as the elevation changes on a lot of the holes. It's just not a course that I go back to frequently.
[/quote]

I'll add my two cents. I have played it 3-4 times and I like it for the most part. There are a few tricky/gimmicky holes. The one with the stone pillars in the fairway was kind of screwy. In fact, one of the times I played there I was behind pillar so I banked it of the face of the wall to advance it 150 yds+. I kept looking at the pictures to see the 14th green (I believe) that has about a 10 foot elevation change. I four-putted that green and hindsight was to go long and be on the top shelf. Some of the dog leg downhill approach shots are tough to gauge distance. A friend of mine hates it and calls it "tricked up" but I found it kind of fun to play as a 4.3 index.

[quote name='tesuquegolfer' timestamp='1416440967' post='10474929']
[quote name='MrMileHigh' timestamp='1416438013' post='10474735']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'll add my two cents. I have played it 3-4 times and I like it for the most part. There are a few tricky/gimmicky holes. The one with the stone pillars in the fairway was kind of screwy. In fact, one of the times I played there I was behind pillar so I banked it of the face of the wall to advance it 150 yds+. I kept looking at the pictures to see the 14th green (I believe) that has about a 10 foot elevation change. I four-putted that green and hindsight was to go long and be on the top shelf. Some of the dog leg downhill approach shots are tough to gauge distance. A friend of mine hates it and calls it "tricked up" but I found it kind of fun to play as a 4.3 index.
[/quote]

Appreciate your perspective as a better player. I play to about a 12 and that course just beats me up.

A lot of great input from the Denver guys, great hearing from folks on the front range! I'm thinking some WRX outings need to happen in the spring.

I really enjoy FT and find that if you can keep the driver (or whatever club you use off the tee) in play it is pretty fair. Many of the holes do not require driver (even from the tips). I find the green complexes among the most forgiving along the front range and can usually play pretty close to my handicap. What I like best is the conditions ... I do not think I've played a round there where it wasn't in excellent shape. I also like how tough it is to walk. If I only have time for a quick 9, I can walk and get a workout at the same time (lots of hills).

drn92

• 4 weeks later...

Only slightly delayed here. Anyway, I agree with the poster above that #12 might be the worst hole in and is the reason why that course is what it is. Just not a fan of Jim Engh courses as they are all pretty gimmicky that goes for Fossil Trace, Redlands and Pradera. Most of his courses are pretty wide open but if you put it on the wrong tier of the green you are hosed. I remember at Redlands on that hole that you cut the mountain I was on in two and 5 putted due to the fact you put it on the wrong tier and if you where on the upper tier you putted OB. That is just dumb. However, I will say the first time I shot in the 60's was at Red Hawk and didn't even use driver but for two par 5's that where uphill.

• 3 weeks later...

some may call this course tricky but all of you remember every hole none of the holes even run the same way let alone look similar, a great layout that allows for a fun and memorable experience.

Titileist 913 d2 driver 10.5 regular
Titleist 913 15 3 wood rip phenom stiff
Taylormade rbz stage 2 tour 3, 4 hybrid
Titileist 714 ap2 irons 5-pw ctaper 120
Taylormade atv weges 52,56
mizuno beteinardi co3h

• 4 months later...

It's one of those courses you really enjoy or really hate. I personally think its great. I do always seem to play well there which helps. Its your typical Engh design. He likes developing the different and that seems awesome to me. Visually pleasing fun golf. He's said he has no desire to develop a PGA tour course. Its great to have to think outside the box.

I think its a great course to play 4 or 5 times a year.