Southern Utah St.George Area

We've been to St. George and played a couple of Courses.

Best one, can't believe because it feels lieke "cheating" is Sky Mountain.

38$ inkl. Lunch and Rangeballs...crazy for that Course.

Great shape, great Views and the Stuff was unbelievble friendly !

#2 will be Coral Canyons

#3Sunbrook and #4 Sand Hallow.

Sand Hallow has 3 great Holes but not worth the money, sorry to say

Comments

• I_HATE_SNOWI_HATE_SNOW Members Posts: 3,322 ✭✭
    Love Sand Hollow, always play it before full rates go in effect. Also really like Ledges. Tried Sky Mountain this fall, really enjoyed it. Also played Green Springs, wasn't too impressed with it, greens were too soft, full of footprints and unputtable. Be sure to play it early in the day! St. George has a lot of good golf, locals told me that Coral Canyon was in poor shape?
  • tiger-vs-metiger-vs-me Members Posts: 84 ✭✭
    just came from Coral Canyon, also that your post is one year old, it's more than poor shape !

We played that also last year and it was by far better....really diapointed !
    We just played Sand Hollow, Sky Mountain and Sunbrook. Sunbrook was overseeded and cart path only but all 3 were in great shape. Sand Hollow is in my top 5 favorites.
  • GuiaGuia Members Posts: 8,693 ✭✭
    St George is a great area for golfing. Love the place.
  • sabramsabram Members Posts: 1,542 ✭✭

Sand Hallow has 3 great Holes but not worth the money, sorry to say

I assume the three holes you think are great are 12, 13 and 15 because of the spectacular views. IMO there are a lot more great holes there than those three. Even without the views the layout is excellent. The best in the area.
  • ohcanada17ohcanada17 Members Posts: 885
    Anyone play any of the following recently:

Conestoga, Mesquite

Wolf Creek, Mesquite

Sand Hollow, St George

Coral Canyon, St George

The Chase - Coyote Springs, between Mesquite/Vegas

How are the greens? I know everything is going to be or has been overseeded...
    Sand Hollow doesn't overseed, greens were great 10 days ago. Coral Canyon doesn't overseed but I've heard it isn't in good shape, looked good from the highway. The Chase used to overseed in early Sept. should be perfect by now.

Only 2 I know of that overseed in St. George are Sun Brook (played it cart path only, greens and fairways were good, just soggy), and St. George Golf course.
    Great, thank you for the info... I read some reviews that CC is in bad shape. I have a group of 16 playing in Nov and want to be sure we change if it is bad.
    edited Oct 4, 2015 #10
    If you are a carnivore, be sure to catch the Gun Barrel, great steaks, reasonable prices.

http://www.gunbarrelutah.com/

I'd recommend Sky Mountain, great muni course. The Chase is cool as it was built but the houses never were. Practice facility for 36 holes. Talked to a member and he said the course was great, making money by selling some of its water to municipalities (California IIRC.) This course really is in the middle of nowhere.
    I looked at that one last year, but was unable to convince everyone. We have a game where last guy that three putts in each group has to buy their foursome Chinese dinner, so that's one night... But we'll have to get to the Gun Barrel this year.

Take it you live in St George?

If you happen to hear anything about CC or other course being in good/bad shape, please let me know.

Thank again
  • Par ForePar Fore Members Posts: 1,294 ✭✭
    I played coral canyon yesterday, it's not in bad shape, the greens are actually in pretty good shape. Since of the rough needs to be cut and the grass on some of the tee boxes needs to be cut to a lower height. Other than that it is in add good of shape as I have played it. I say this as someone who plays the course often abs have seen it in pretty poor shape.
    ohcanada17 wrote:

I looked at that one last year, but was unable to convince everyone. We have a game where last guy that three putts in each group has to buy their foursome Chinese dinner, so that's one night... But we'll have to get to the Gun Barrel this year.

Take it you live in St George?

If you happen to hear anything about CC or other course being in good/bad shape, please let me know.

Thank again

No, just try to spend some time there the end of September.
  • kizdockizdoc Wildcat ClubWRX Posts: 407 ClubWRX
    Just finished a guys golf trip. Here's my take on things in Mesquite/St George:

Coyote Springs - . Course is in really good shape. Super windy the day we played. Everybody in the group really liked it.

Wolf Creek - cart path only on many of the holes. Awesome course. Greens were a little slow. Sand in the bunkers were probably the best I've played in.

Oasis Palmer - least favorite of the courses. Rough is deep. Cart path only when we played (10/2)

Sand Hollows - great course. Carts allowed on fairways. . Greens were really fast. Interesting red clay/sand in the bunkers. Great layout.

Coral Canyons - Course is not in bad shape. The fairways need to get cut, but the greens were fine.

Conestoga - cart path only until 10/9. Fairways were perfect. Greens a little sandy and slow. Great elevation changes, especially on the front 9. Didn't like the forced layups off the tee on a couple of the holes.
    Titleist TS3 9.5* MCA Diamana Blueboard 73S x5ct
    Titleist TS2 16.5* Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S
    Titleist 818 H1 21* MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue Hybrid 80S
    Miura 1957 LE Small Blades 4-PW N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 105S
    Miura 1957 51Y, 55C, 59C Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour Wedge 115
    Byron Morgan DH89 34/350
    Titleist Pro V1

My biggest complaint on the St. George courses is the traps tend to be very hard and difficult to get the wedge under the ball. Simple solution is to stay out of them.