2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

G-MEN UNITE

ShortSticks

This thread is for all the PING G series iron players. :smilie_ping: :smilie_ping: :smilie_ping:

AKA - G-MEN :hi:

We have all heard the heard the lines;

"How do you play those shovels?" or the "I need to borrow that 9 iron for some gardening later", etc... :boredom: :sleep:

So none of that here please. :nono: :deadhorse:

This is a place to show some love for our fat bottom friends. :fan_1: :clapping: :crazy: :friends: :drinks: :good:

If you are a G-MAN lets hear your story. :read:

P.S. I will include Rapture, K-15 and Karsten players because they are just G series on steroids.

(and, yes I miss ROBO)

• Like 2

I will start by introducing myself,

Hi, my name is ShortSticks and I am a G-MAN.

I play G20s with CFS stiffs and I LOVE THEM. :wub:

I have played these clubs since the day they were released and they keep getting better. I grew up playing Eye 2s and ISIs, so big heads, offset and large soles are the norm for me.

Playing them for the last 3 seasons has allowed me to build a bond with these irons that I have never had with any other iron I have ever played. I can hit any shot needed If I put a decent swing on them. They are always there for me and I can count on them without question.

I have to thank MtlJeff and his epic G15 thread for opening my eyes to PING once again as I was blinded by the Darkside for too long. His thread got me to try the G15s after years of being away from the PING fold. Once I put my ego in check and put the PINGs in play, my scores and handicap began to drop. Going from a 17 hcp to my current 12 hcp makes it obvious I made the right choice. Over the last 3 seasons I have shot more rounds in the 70s than I had in my whole golfing life and I shoot in the 80 on a consistent basis. I have not shot over a 100 with these clubs ever which is a miracle, as before I would have one or two rounds in the 100s with my old clubs.

For me, I am a PING player for life and proud to be a G-MAN.

• Like 1

My friends call me G-man but I play the S series, sorry I can't join the club

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Blueboard Ion 63x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Going to be joining your club. Had G25s, should never have traded them in. My ego got in the way. Going to go to Ping for a fitting. Back to easy hitting irons. This game is hard enough! I want high and straight clubs! :)

• Like 1

Ping Hoofer Lite

Mizuno ST Max 9.5*

Mizuno ST Max 3/7W

Mizuno ST Max 5/6H

Mizuno 243 7-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

I am a high handicap who in the past who succumbed to the lure of the sexy forged cavity back. Finally, I made the decision to really improve my game and utilize the most forgiving equipment I could.

So last year I traded my bstone j40s for a set of mizuno jpx hds. I also bought a g15 seven iron for $5. I instantly regretted the mizunos, but fell in love with the g15. For a cast club I seriously could not believe how great the pings felt and performed. I decided to hold off on buying a set until tli tried the g30's.

This summer I ordered a g30 six iron. I found myself purposely laying up to yardages so I could play either my g15 seven iron or g30 six iron. I absolutely love the g30. It is the best feeling iron I have ever hit. Better than my j40 and Callaway x forged. I will be ordering a full set now that winter is coming.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

I've been playing with G25 this season and I love them. However, I just went and got fit for some Wishon irons. I'm really tempted to just keep my G25's in the bag but having custom fit irons is probably the only thing that can kick them out

Ping G30
Titleist 915 F
Ping Rapture Hybrid 21
Mizuno MP15 4-PW
Vokey SM6 50, 56, 60
Byron Morgan DH89

Somebody should have cued up Queen's song "Fat bottomed girls"

G-10's for now..... G-30's for next year. Still not sure whether tfc419 or steelfiber 95 shafts. An i95 shaft should be here in a couple days to try in a wedge.

Like the clubs, the companies fitting van, and the companies reputation for making things right.

E-mail ping a question, and you get a simple straight answer.
E-mail Callaway the same exact question and their response " due to the special process required to reshaft our clubs we recommend that you have your wedge reshafted by us". Really, It is a wedge not some bore thru headed wood. I thought only taylor made clubs required rocket science to work on them.

G400Max 10.5 Driver Red Velocore 6S
G410 5 Wood Tensei Orange stiff
Ping G410 Hybrid 22* & 26* Evenflo Black 6.0 stiff

Ping G Gap-6 iron Steelfiber i95 R.flex

Ping Anser 52* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Cleveland CBX 56* Steelfiber i95 R fles
Callaway X Tour 59.5* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Scotty Newport 2,  prov1x, Motocaddy M1

Played the G25 iron's for last couple of years, and now playing G30's and just put together a bag of Karsten's. Here's my G-Man club's.

G30 D - Sf-Tec 10*
G30 F - 5 (18*)
G30 Hy - 4 (22*)
G30 Irons - 5-UW-SW-LW w/Graphite

G25 D - 9.5*
G25 F - 4 (16.5*)
Karsten Hy - 3-4-5
Karsten Irons - 5-UW-SW w/Steel

All G'd up as well

G30 sf tec 10*
G30 3w
K15 7i-SW
G25 LW

Only clubs I don't play in Ping are my hybrids and that is only because I can't afford 3 g30 hybrids.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

I play G25's, just fantastic sticks and won't be going anywhere. I actually don't think they look that big, they are pleasing to my eye, especially when the ball is headed at the stick. I actually took my 4 iron out for a few rounds messing with a hybrid. I put it back in yesterday and played 36. We had a bit of wind yesterday, ended up hitting it 4 times, tiwce on a par 3 into the wind, twice on the long par 4 on the back into the wind. I hit one to 3 feet on the par 3, the other was about 20, and hit the green on 10 both times from about 185 into a wind. So easy to hit hi and straight.

More golfers would play better golf with these irons in the bag. I play with someone who recently switched from his GI irons to MP 54's, he just does not hit the ball anywhere near as consistent, and has lost distance.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

Those playing LW, how are they for playing from tight lies for flop shots. Can you open her up?

Ping Hoofer Lite

Mizuno ST Max 9.5*

Mizuno ST Max 3/7W

Mizuno ST Max 5/6H

Mizuno 243 7-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

[quote name='Golf64' timestamp='1414238968' post='10348241']
Those playing LW, how are they for playing from tight lies for flop shots. Can you open her up?
[/quote]

I do not play the SW, or LW (love the UW), bit I prefer a bit smaller sole and sharper leading edge for those clubs, especially if you are in anything thick. I know a lot play them, but I am very confident with my RTX CB's. I can't imagine they would be as versatile as your SM5's, especially from the rough.

This is pure speculation and opinion, have never hit a G series LW, or SW.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T150 6-G PX LZ
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

Was at the range yesterday afternoon. Hitting poorly when my boss drove up, he's the Golf Superintendent, scratch cap, Gives me a pointer or two then proceeds to hit 5 of the most beautiful 8 irons I've ever seen with my G10. He just pulled it from my bag and swung 5 times, amazing. Then another employee , who is a part time Champions Tour caddie, walks up and does the same thing. Sh*t.....why can't I do that. They both make extremely great remarks about the G10's and the stock Ping TFC regular flex graphite shaft.

Anyone and I mean anyone can hit a G series iron. All the shovel comments are nothing but an excuse not to use it. I don't care what type of swing you have, the G series is just like another iron, it just looks different, period.

[quote name='Golf64' timestamp='1414173658' post='10344947']
Going to be joining your club. Had G25s, should never have traded them in. My ego got in the way. Going to go to Ping for a fitting. Back to easy hitting irons. This game is hard enough! I want high and straight clubs! :)
[/quote] wow i think the ap2 launch high and they are long and definitely more accurate but to each is there own

I've played Ping irons for a very long time. Most recent irons are the original Raptures and G25s. As good as the G25s are, I still have the original Raptures in the bag -- they are super irons and I don't mind the looks or somewhat weaker lofts of the Raptures at all. I've strayed from Ping irons now and then, but always come back due to the performance, quality and durability of Ping. They just work for me.

The G's are awesome. The archives are littered with my posts spreading G love to the masses here.

Repeating myself again but...

I was a long time blade lover. Started playing in the early 1980's, back when blades were the only game in town, and hated offset and shovel sized clubs. Couldn't stand Eye2's when they were current. Early foray's into GI resulted in my tail between my legs running back to my comfort zone. Eventually made my way to players cavities but still couldn't stand GI shovels.

Got married and had a kid during an 8 year forced hiatus from the game. Came back a few years ago and struggled. Surfing ebay while consuming a few frosty beverages one evening resulted in a set of G10XG's coming my way. First time at the range with the new sticks was a giddy epiphany. I was floored by how easy the G's were to hit. The long layoff allowed me to overcome my hangup about offset and large club size too. A new lease on life free of prejudices as it were.

I laugh and shrug over all the threads here where people bash GI clubs like the G's. Been there, done that. People like this have a mental hangup. I know because I was one of them. There is nothing in the swing dynamics of hitting a golf ball that would make GI clubs unhittable for any particular player. Mind you I'm not suggesting GI clubs are for everyone. It's a personal preference thing mostly. GI clubs are appropriate for just about everyone that values forgiveness, and G-series clubs are top of the heap in my opinion.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I love my i5 irons.. Only way I would ever remove my i5s would be if I could get a great deal on some G10s

I wanna be a Gman lol

Driver - TaylorMade M2 2017 - 9.5°
Fairway - TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood - 14.5°
Hybrid - TaylorMade RBZ 5 wood - 19°
Irons - PING i15 - 4 - PW / UW
Wedges - Taylormade MG2 54° / Hi Toe 58°
Putter - Cameron Newport 2 custom

I really do not hit them very high at all, more of a mid ball flight. When I hit 2 of my cuz's MP 54's the other day, they felt awesome, but went higher than my G25's with both a wedge and 7i. (his sticks have X100's, I play CFS S).

I hit the short irons really good, and has made me think about bagging forged scoring clubs (8-P), but keep going back to "why change what is not broken"?

Golf is a cruel mistress.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T150 6-G PX LZ
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

Started ISI K
then i3
Tried G5 recently
Went to S58.
Very Happy. Bagged the 3 iron yesterday on a hilly course...a great choice.
If it works, Play it ! Stay Humble !

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

For those who play the G30 irons, how are the long irons? I am thinking of upgrading from my G20s. I am trying to decide between i25s and G30s. I have a good distance gap between my 4 and 5 irons. I was leaning toward the G30s, but I am concerned that the length and loft of the long irons might make them difficult to hit.

I rented some G5's on vacation once. Does that count?

Can I be a G-Man?

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

I used to be one of you.

I played PINGs from the EYE2s through the G-15s. Up until a few months ago, I was still a PING (G10 XG) player. I've tried some stuff (not the word I wanted to use) and found that I still have a strong affinity for PING. Yes, a LOT of other companies make some great gear, but PING is where it's at for me...

Hello, my name is Matt and I'm a G-man. Been playing G's since 2009. My progression has been as follows: G5 > G10 > G15 > G20 > G25 > G15. As a 12 hdcp, I play the G's because they make the game more fun. Coming from i5's, the thicker top lines took a little adjustment, but just like anything else, you get used to it. I actually prefer the simplistic look of the G5's best and would still be playing those, but the toe weighting on the newer models helps my mishits.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+

Count me in. 2 years with my G25's after the G15's. I'm opposite of alot of guys. I look down at the thick topline and offset and it just looks right. Every time I try a small head I can't get used to the look. Maybe cause I've only ever played shovels. Only way I see a change is they make an i series without the ferrule and with no plating again.