RECAP: Big Bertha Alpha 815 chat with Callaway Golf

HipCheckHipCheck Toed it a lil, Romes.The Right CoastMarshals Posts: 6,235 mod
edited Nov 17, 2014 in Industry Chats #1
CLICK HERE FOR THE START OF THE Q&A

Join GolfWRX for a LIVE Q&A session with Callaway Golf R&D and Marketing teams straight from Callaway Golf Headquarters in Carlsbad, California. Callaway's next generation of Big Bertha drivers, the Big Bertha Alpha 815 Double Black Diamond, will be available at retail on November 13. R&D will be here to answer GolfWRXer questions on these and all things Callaway on Wednesday, November 12th at Noon ET, 9am PT.

In the Callaway "War Room":
  • Alan Hocknell, SVP, R&D
  • Evan Gibbs, Sr. Manager, R&D - Woods
  • Scott Manwaring, Director, R&D – Irons and Hybrids
  • Tim Reed, SVP, Product Strategy & Management
  • Harry Arnett, SVP, Marketing
  • Jason Finley, Director, Global Product Strategy – Golf Ball & Woods
  • Dave Neville, Sr. Director, Marketing

When:

This chat occurred Wednesday, November 12th at Noon-1:30PM ET.

Live Q&A Link:

Giveaway:

3 GolfWRX members who have their question answered will win their choice of Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 or Alpha 815 Double Black Diamond drivers (stock shafts only). All those who have their question answered will be entered into the giveaway. Winners chosen by random number. *Note: Stock shafts only

Ask a question:

This chat has ended, but Callaway may answer a few more questions over the coming days (these will not be eligible for the random club drawing).

Winners Announced 11/17:

DavePelz4

cliffhanger

zukszoo

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• fairwaychaserfairwaychaser fairways n greens Members Posts: 360
    My question is, what's the difference from the new double black diamond and the big bertha alpha? I'm currently gaming a razr fit extreme 8.5° with a graphite design AD DI 6.i love the driver itself. As far as feel and performance and look goes, I demoed my buddies alpha and like how smooth it felt as well as how much little effort it took to get decent distance out of it (270 yards).i have always been a Callaway guy ever since high school (I still have my big bertha red series irons and driver), your clubs are in my opinion 1 of the top 3 on the market.if I can manage to save enough money I will definitely be buying the new double black diamond driver for sure! Thanks for your time and the amazing equipment you design!
  • J13J13 Dad golf Members Posts: 15,389 ✭✭
    Very cool cain't wait.
    Callaway Epic Flash Triple Diamond 9* / Project X HZRDUS Black Smoke 70 6.5
    TBD
    Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
    Odyssey White Hot Versa #6 Tour issue
    Srixon Zstar XV

GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub

GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/

WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

INSTAGRAM- @Jminis13
  • HISPLHISPL Members Posts: 3,068
    Firstly I'd like to offer everyone from Cally HQ a thank you for offering your time to answer some questions!

The 2015 product is great and should do well, I'm interested to know what sort of percentage you expect to see as custom built product as compared to standard specifications.

Next is, the lie angle for the X2 Hot Pro fairway woods are perfect for me but the drivers are considerably more upright especially when you take the length into acount why is this?

My miss tendency due to this tends to be left with the driver (I'm a righty) and I want to do everything possible to eliminate this so I'm hoping for a driver that is flatter in the future.

• TNTleftyTNTlefty Members Posts: 920 ✭✭
    How do marketing and product strategies vary to account for differences in global consumer preferences?

Thanks for taking questions on WRX!
  • squishyysquishyy Members Posts: 1,358 ✭✭
    edited Nov 8, 2014 #6
    The big bertha alpha drivers were long. I didn't think there could be more improvements made to it but with the release of the 815s it looks like a redesigned big bertha alpha.

How much more can the 815s provide to the current customers?

By the way, the aftermarket shaft selections are great!
    Taylormade M2 10.5* // Kuro Kage TiNi 60
    Taylormade M2 15* // Graphite Design AD GP 7s
    Cobra F6+ 17.5* // Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85HY
    Srixon z565 4-PW // Nippon Modus Tour 120
    Titleist Vokey SM 52* // Nippon WV 125
    Titleist Vokey SM 58* // Nippon WV 125
    Scotty Cameron 009 Oil Can
  • callawayjaycallawayjay Goofiest Left Handed Swing Ever Members Posts: 1,592 ✭✭
    Are there plans to release gravity core weight kits allowing amateurs the ability to put even more weight either up or down?
  • HISPLHISPL Members Posts: 3,068
    One more question, I feel the product will speak for itself when golfers get it in their hands it really is that good!

How do you plan to get more people to try it out?
  • Kylekoz17Kylekoz17 Members Posts: 2,181 ✭✭
    edited Nov 8, 2014 #9
    What are your driver tolerances in regard to loft for the mass market? Obviously the tour guy's heads are hand picked, so I'm curious what the tolerance is for us.

Thanks
    Rogue Sub Zero 10.5 - Kuro Kage DC TX 60
    TI Taylormade ’16 M2 DF 16.5 - Attas 6star 7X
    '17 Taylormade M1 hybrid - Kuro Kage 80X
    Titleist 716 TMB 3-5 iron AMT X100
    Titleist 718 AP2 6-pw AMT X100
    Custom Oven grind Nike Engage 50 sq, 56 toe sweep
    Custom 1/1 Rory Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01
  • cliffhangercliffhanger spruce grove albertaClubWRX Posts: 1,755 ClubWRX
    The last Big Bertha had a rear mounted sliding weight for a higher MOI and a wider range of fade or draw bias options as opposed to the Alpha that utilized a toe and heel weight port. Of the two it seems that the sliding weight feature was a better option to dial in a desired ball flight. Was the rear sliding weight a possibility in the design for the new Big Bertha 815 line and why did you ultimately go with the heel and toe weight ports over the sliding weight option?

Driver: M6 (10.5 deg) with Project X Smoke 60X playing at 45 inches
    3Wood: M6 (14 deg) with Project X Smoke 70X playing at 43 inches
    Hybrid: M6 #3 with KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95X
    4-GW: P760 with KBS Tour X (all bent 2 deg flat)
    HiToe Wedges: 56/10 and 60/10 (all bent 2 deg flat) with 2.0 hi-rev shafts
    Mullen 2 TP putter @ 34 inches 
    TP 5 ball 

All grips 360 tour velvet burgundy with 1 extra wrap

Sun mountain 4.5 stand bag

• NevadaGolfGuyNevadaGolfGuy The Wedge Guy! Members Posts: 976
    I know everyone for some reason misses right but for someone who has a hard time dealing with the growing trend of upright light angles is there any plans for possibly a flat option with the hosel designs in the future? Having only upright and neutral seems odd to me especially given the average male height and the stock length on drivers these days. Keep up the good work guys, still anxiously awaiting something to beat out my RFE and look forward to demoing this years options.
    Cobra L4V / V2 76g
    Cleveland Classic XL 3W
    Callaway X tour 5 wood
    Maltby DBM 4-9 / S300
    47/51/55/59 Custom Hand Grounds
    Putter Auditions!
  • getair23getair23 Members Posts: 1,957 ✭✭
    edited Nov 9, 2014 #12
    I heard Roger is working on some new wedges. When will they be released, and will they have a 47* and 64* option?
    Ping G400 MAX Aerotech Ti-Fiber Tour 70 F6-x
    Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5 Elements Chrome 7F5T
    Srixon Z 745 (4-9) Z 945 (pw) KBS tour-x
    Fourteen RM 21 50* KBS Tour FLT 130-x
    Bettinardi "The Hive" Black 54* and 60* KBS Tour FLT 130-x
    Edel 64* KBS C-Taper s+
    Evnroll ER2 
  • ram01002ram01002 Members Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    Are there any signs/statistics/key indicators that would suggest the golf equipment industry has some growth potential? Have economic factors, changing demographics, and/or USGA limits on equipment forced you to rethink your core business model?
  • ThunderBuzzworthThunderBuzzworth Hulk... Smash!! Members Posts: 2,556 ✭✭
    Why do you guys use that clear coat like layer on the face of the drivers? Since the Razr hawk line every Callaway driver I have had appears to be cracked after a few balls because that clear coat on the face has a shatter effect.

I actually asked Harry about this in person at Carls Golfland in Bloomfield Hills, MI earlier this year but he was side tracked with a bunch of other questions before he touched on it.
    Current WITB

Taylormade 2016 M1 7.8* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
    Titleist 917 F3 15* (Tensei Pro white 90tx)
    Titleist 716 TMB 19* (DG X100)
    Callaway 18’ X Forged 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 130)
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50F black (x100)
    Titleist Vokey TVD 55K black (x100)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 60D black (x100)
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black 34”
    Srixon Z Star XV 17’ Yellow
  • deckdeck Off The Deck Members Posts: 3,849 ✭✭
    How did you increase the MOI in the diamond and the 815? What input did you have from the players in the 815 and DBD design?

Glad Doc hock is being allowed to talk to people. He must have done something right. Is it true you keep him like sloth in the goonies locked up and working all the time?
    Ping G400 LST HZRDUS Black tipped .5 9'
    Taylormade M1 (2016) 15 Fubuki Z S
    Rocketballz 19' ATX Green S
    X2Hot 22' ATX Green S
    Callaway Apex Pro (2014) C-tapers S
    Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
    James Ingles Scratch Handmande
  • bama11bama11 JD$ Members Posts: 517 ✭✭
    edited Nov 11, 2014 #16
    -What are the plans moving forward with the Apex line of irons? Any chance we could see a Legacy Black size, looks, and shape iron offering in the future?

-Have you guy’s ever considered bringing back the Memphis 10’ shaft as an option?

-The SR’ series of golf balls seem to have been a huge success; can we expect an updated version soon? And if so, when? And why were the numbers only black on all three models? SR2 RED numbers please. (ROLLTIDE)

On a side note, I will be Video bombing you guy’s when this goes down, and I may or not be the guy you see in the video background being chased by security with a new 815 Alpha driver and fairway wood in hand!! image/busted_cop.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':busted_cop:' /> image/pimp.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':pimp:' />
  • YepyukonYepyukon Hinge + Hold Members Posts: 4,126 ✭✭
    Thank you for doing this Callaway Golf. Also, congratulations on the recent Long Drive win! With that said, my question is this:

I know you call upon PGA Tour players (like Mickelson) for feedback and research with new product. Now that you are sponsoring the LDA, and have winning staffers, do you or are you going to call upon their feedback for drivers that offer increased distance? Also, are you planning to release an LDA line of drivers that focuses purely on distance?

Thanks again.
    Srixon 785 10.5* w/ Oban Devotion
    Nike VR Pro Limited 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
    Srixon ZU85 18* w/ Diamana WB
    Srixon ZU85 22* w/ AxivCore Blue
    Srixon 785 5 - 8 w/ Project X Flighted
    Srixon Z Forged 9 - PW w/ Project X Flighted
    Cleveland RTX 4 50* 55* 60*
    Nike Method 003 Oven Prototype
    Srixon ZSTAR XV Tour Yellow
  • RipvanwinkleRipvanwinkle Members Posts: 142
    These sessions are always fun and informative...thanks in advance. Since most of us hit it the distances of the best LPGA pros...do you use their input for men's club design? (Let the flaming start..I know everyone here hits it 300 yards all day. I'm just trying to be reality based)
    Callaway Opti-Force 440 w/Fujikura Motore Speeder 6.2 Reg<br /><br /> Callaway 3 Deep Fujikura Fuel 65 Reg<br /><br /> Callaway 5 Deep Aldila Tour Green Reg<br /><br /> Mizuno HP-5 4,5 KBS Tour C-Taper Lite Reg<br /><br /> Mizuno 6-9 MP59, MP69 PW KBS Reg<br /><br /><br /> Callyway MD2 51, 56C grind,60 U grind<br /><br /><br /> Odyssey Metal-X Milled Versa 2 with SS mid-slim<br /><br /> Callaway Apex UT 21 with Recoil 660 Reg Titlest Pro-V 1
  • Wall-EWall-E Members Posts: 328 ✭✭
    Clearly, Callaway has impressed me over the past couple of years of what the R&D department has come up with. I'm a huge Callaway and I want to thank you all for making great equipment.

So my question is, what does the callaway team have up their sleeves in terms of new technology and innovation in the next couple of years?
  • zukszoozukszoo Members Posts: 362 ✭✭
    I have read that moving the CG closer to the face, while lowering spin, will decrease the MOI. What is Callaway doing with the Bertha's to keep the MOI up and still achieve a low spin/high launch combo?

Thank you for this opportunity to pick your brains.
  • Jrolsen0425Jrolsen0425 Members Posts: 1,114 ✭✭
    Callaway has ruled my bag for the last 4 years. I love their irons especially. My question is...

I have had 3 different sets of the Apex Pro irons because of warranty issues with the finish. Is there anything that is going to change with the finish in the future? I would love the Apex Pro with a different finish
    Callaway Big Bertha 10.5 Fubuki ZT X
    Titleist 906f4 15.5 UST Tour Black X
    Titleist 906f4 18.5 UST Tour Black X
    Callaway Apex Pro 4-P Modus 130
    Vokey SM5 50/54/58 PX 6.0
    Scotty Cameron Golo S5
    WITB Link
  • ORUTRAVISORUTRAVIS Members Posts: 284
    Where did the designation 815 for the new big berthas come from? Also I currently have the big bertha alpha if I was playing the new 815 or 815 dd what launch and spin changes would I see keeping loft and cog the same?

CALLAWAY SUBZERO 9.5 Project X HZRDUS YELLOW
    CALLAWAY 816 14
    PING CROSSOVER 4H
    Ping I BLADES 4-PW NIPPON MODUS 105
    Callaway MD2 TG 54, 60 DGS400
    PING VOSS SLATE
  • GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic Members Posts: 3,068 ✭✭
    What technological aspect in the 815 range are you most proud of?

Thanks for doing this and the giveway, btw!
    Cobra F9 Tour Length
    TM M2 DF 16.5° 
    Irons TBD
    Cobra King Pur 54°/ Vokey Proto 60°
    TW Ardmore
  • optpauloptpaul Members Posts: 167 ✭✭
    Thanks for the giveaway and congrats on the sponsoring the winner of the long drive event.

What are the new improvements made in the next generation Callaway drivers that can benefit the 10 handicap player and what do you see future of driver technology focusing on.
  • pdaeropdaero Lefty Boomers Posts: 6,021 ✭✭
    Tell me about the R Moto face technology. How does this affect playability and relate to ball speed for forgiveness? Thanks so much - the 815 Alpha and DBD look like incredible clubs and can't wait to try them.
    Titleist 917D2 9.5* w/ Aldila X-Torsion Copper 60TX; Titleist 915F 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X; Titleist 915H 18* w/ Diamana S+ 90 X

Titleist 716CB 3-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd; Vokey SM6 53.09*, 59.07* w/ DG TI S400

PING Anser Milled 0 34"
  • ws6ws6 Pacific Dunes Members Posts: 2,304 ✭✭
    The tag line is low spin with forgiveness, what is the MOI of the Alpha and DBD?

Thank you.
  • ladahlladahl Members Posts: 6,868 ✭✭
    edited Nov 8, 2014 #27
    Excited to tune in. I really like these Q&A sessions.

Question: What single model are you each most proud of to date? Apex irons? 815 Alpha? XHot fairways? Others?
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Ping G400 Max Veylix Alphina 673<br />'16 TM M2 16.5* HL Veylix Rome 888 <br />Callaway Epic #3H KBS Proto 95<br />PXG 0311X #4 KBS Proto 95 <br />PXG 0311 Black 5/6/7 0311T Black 8/9/W Aerotech SteelFiber 95 S<br /> SM7 Jet Black 50*, 54* & 58* TT DG TI Onyx S400<br />PXG Mustang S Black[/font]<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />WITB Link[/font]
  • gprubesgprubes twit: @shaeggy Members Posts: 813 ✭✭
    First things first, thanks for your time.

My question is: How do the other companies offerings influence not only what products you guys are putting out to consumers, but also how often you are putting out products??

Thanks again!!
    Taylormade M3 440 9* - Fuji Motore Tour Spec VC 6.2 S
    Ping G400 14.5* - Alta CB 75 S
    Honma TW737 18* - Vizard Type-Z 70 S
    Taylormade P790 4-PW - KBS C-Taper 120 S
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52.12F & 58.11
    Odyssey O-Works Black 1 Wide S w/Tour SNSR Contour Pro 140cc
  • nuthin but a hackernuthin but a hacker Certified Hacker Members Posts: 2,561 ✭✭
    It's really cool that Callaway would provide us with this chance to get our questions answered. I have a couple.

First, does the white oval pattern serve a function on the Mack Daddy 2 wedges other than aesthetics? And if they are just for looks would it be possible to get the option to not have them on there?

Second question is about the SuperSoft golf ball. Will it change for 2015 and if so what changes will you make? I sure hate the thought of any changes being made to this ball!

Thanks GolfWRX and Callaway!
    Ping G400 10.5* driver
    Ping G400 3 wood
    Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
    Ping i25 5-PW AW SW LW irons
    Ping Sydney 34" putter
    Ping Pioneer 2017 bag
    Bridgestone Tour B330-RX ball
  • J13J13 Dad golf Members Posts: 15,389 ✭✭
    edited Nov 8, 2014 #30
    Question: Does Scott Goryl moonlight as a young Burt Reynolds impersonator on the weekends for extra money?

Question 2: Would you say you guys are beind, on track, or ahead of schedule, in your 5 year war ?
    Callaway Epic Flash Triple Diamond 9* / Project X HZRDUS Black Smoke 70 6.5
    TBD
    Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
    Odyssey White Hot Versa #6 Tour issue
    Srixon Zstar XV

GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub

GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/

WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

INSTAGRAM- @Jminis13
  • SatelliteGuySatelliteGuy Just hit the flippin' ball Members Posts: 4,487
    Any plans to use the OptiFit Adaptors on the 2/3/4/5 Deep series of Fairway Woods?

Thanks ahead of time Fellas.... Will be traveling for work and won't be able to pay attention live but thanks for your time and attention.

image/hi.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':hi:' />
    9.5 Opti440 - Fujikura Rombax 5Wo6 X

Taylormade 17.9 4 wood - NVX (X)
    Adams DHY Hybrid X
    Cobra ACP's 4-PW
    MD2's 52/58
    LowTide FIN #5 Custom