2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Winter golfing - what works for folks?

thbrewst

Historically I have avoided golfing in 'cold' weather, but this year I'm trying to power through. Wondering what products folks like. I gather a base thermal layer is fairly common, but what do folks wear on top of that? I typically prefer to not get bound up on my swing with jackets and clothes, so anything that seems to be free swinging would be great for me. I also try to walk if I can so I don't want to get so bundled that I start sweating while I'm walking (yes, I'm out of shape, but I'm trying ;> ).

BTW, in Atlanta metro. Also golf quite a bit in the mountains of NC.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, ideas, and experiences.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mizuno Windlite is a staple in my cold weather gear. I haven't really found the need to even wear a base layer under it as it can actually get too warm so just a wicking golf polo underneath. They look great and do not restrict your swing at all, highly recommend one.

Cobra F9
Cobra SZ 14.5*
Ping G400 19*
Mizuno MP 53 KBS Tour 4-PW
Ping Glide 2.0 50*
Cleveland RTX 3 54* 58*
Scotty Cameron Futura X5

Mizuno Windlite sweaters are amazing. My go to combo is Under Armor base layers the real base line not the ones on a hanger at Golf Galaxy. These come in a box and you can pick your level of warmth 1 to 4 with 4 being arctic like insulation. Then a North Face fleece layer. I have had a hard time finding a warmer fleece that is still mobile.

If you need another layer go with a down filled vest that is wind proof or Footjoy or North Face soft shell.

Also, Zippo hand warmers those disposable packs don't do it for me.

I second the UA Base tops AND bottoms (if you can still find them!!). However, they have changed things a bit. I also like the Nike Hyperwarm. I prefer sweaters instead of windshirts because they tend to be less restrictive. UA also makes socks of which I have two pair. They're warm but won't give you sweaty feet. I also use FJ winter golf gloves (other brands work just as well), which are great once you get used to using them (which takes a considerable amount of time). Lastly, I play a low compression ball, typically one of the Wilsons.

I will play as long as there is no snow cover and they will allow it at the course.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

[quote name='Ri_Redneck' timestamp='1416258168' post='10462235']
I second the UA Base tops AND bottoms (if you can still find them!!). However, they have changed things a bit. I also like the Nike Hyperwarm. I prefer sweaters instead of windshirts because they tend to be less restrictive. UA also makes socks of which I have two pair. They're warm but won't give you sweaty feet. I also use FJ winter golf gloves (other brands work just as well), which are great once you get used to using them (which takes a considerable amount of time). Lastly, I play a low compression ball, typically one of the Wilsons.

I will play as long as there is no snow cover and they will allow it at the course.

BT
[/quote]

Tell me more about the golf ball. I play as long as the course is open, regardless of conditions, but this past year marked my first experience with winter golf. Found a nice propane cart heater, and some good "layers. Looking for a quality cart cover to keep the good propane heat in. My big remaining issues are the ball that won't compress and the soft conditions that are very prone to bad digging. What specific ball have you found to work well? Any thoughts on a winter iron and wedge set?

i usually go with a fleece quarter zip underneath my rain gear. Seems to work fine for me. I walk so that helps keep the blood flowing.

Taylormade  M Gloire Driver JDM 11.5*  - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade  M Gloire Fairway JDM 15* - Speeder Evolution SR

Daiwa ONOFF ARMS AKA Fairway JDM 21* - Daiwa MP-520F SR

Callaway  Epic Max Fast Forged JDM 7 - AW - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Max Star JDM GW 48* - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM SW 55* - Nippon 950GH S

Scotty Cameron  Del Mar - California 

Jones  Rover R Utility

Here are some essentials
[list]
[*]Bodywarmers
[*]JLindeberg/Galvin Green fleeces
[*]Heavy weight tousers
[*]2 pairs of socks
[*]A woolly hat
[*]Winter Mits
[/list]

[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 913D2 8.75* w/ Diamana Blue S[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 913F 16.5* w/ Diamana Blue S[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ping Anser 20* w/ TCF 800 s[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron w/ KBS C TAPER LITE X
Mizuno MP5 4-PW w/ KBS C TAPER LITE X
Titleist SM6 52* KBS TOUR 90 S
Titleist SM6 58* STOCK
Odyssey #7[/font][/size][/color]

I go the cheap route. I get the walmart/target equivalent of a thermal base layer, put a polo over that then go with a half zip jacket over that. I also walk trying to keep warm. If I get warm I will just take off the top layer and put it in my bag. I also keep a beanie in my bag so my ears don't get cold and I buy a big box of hand warmers at costco in the fall and keep a few packets in my bag.

To me the Mizuno Windlite is mandatory if you're playing in the cold. I played last week and the high was maybe 42 and I had on an UA cold gear base layer, the Windlite, and a windbreaker. The bulk of the round it was probably high 30's. Also had on an UA cold gear beanie. I was fine. Prior to getting the Windlite I typically would need maybe two more layers to be comfortable but then I'd be cramped trying to swing.

A bottle of whiskey

TM M1 460 10.5° .::. MRC Tensei CK Blue 6S
Adams XTD Ti 15° .::. Matrix 7Q3 S
TM R15 Black 19° .::. Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1 S (tipped 2")
Bridgestone Airmuscle 2i 19° .::. PX HD2
Tourstage X Blade 709 CB 4i .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Tourstage X Blade 909 Ltd 5-PW .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Bridgestone J15 Black Ox 52°/58° .::. DG Onyx S400
Piretti 'Tour Only' Cortino II w/ Matrix U11-P01 Proto
Piretti 'Cortino LN' Long Neck Tour Ltd
Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1059465-bpark1210-witb-bridgestone-pic-heavy/page__pid__9832393#entry9832393"]WITB Link[/url]

I keep hearing/reading about the Mizuno, but it seems a lot of people think that it is actually too hot for walking. Usually in Atlanta it is high 30's to low 50's during a winter golf round. It gets colder than that here, but then us southerns stay home (with the previously mentioned bottle of wiskey).

Also, don't see this specific model listed anywhere but Amazon. Did they rename it or get rid of it?

Go to ebay an buy the Mizuno Windlite SWEATER. I don't mind buying used, so I've gotten all of mine, in great shape, for less than $40.

Yes, the windlite and a baselayer can get too warm for walking. In "normal" Atlanta winter, which typical cold, playable days are about 45-50, you won't need the baselayer. Still, with an unimpeded swing, I'd rather be too warm on the course than too cold.

It's 18* and dark and dropping here in Minneapolis tonight. I'm again wearing my Windlite as my winter jacket with no baselayer. Just a cotton polo, then the windlite. It is that warm.

The key to the Windlite's warmth during a round of golf is when you walk the course. You heat up, and the windlite keeps that warmth in while keeping the cold wind out. So inside the Windlite, during a walking round, it just gets warmer an warmer.

There would be way more you would have to do to stay warm if you were going to ride during a cold weather round. But I'd like to add, Atlanta doesn't have any rounds that courses would be open that would actually be a "cold weather round". If the forecast was going to be for a mid-day high of 38 and sunny, I doubt they'd open that day. 38* and sunny in Minnesota is shorts weather.

Living in AZ helps a lot. :beach:

Actually starting now through Feb if you play early in the morning frost delays and temps hovering around 38-45 degrees are pretty common, The hard part here is by the back nine you usually end up wishing you were in shorts. For me it is about layers, I have a long sleeve compression FJ shirt similar to the UA ones that plus a polo and a lighter weight pullover or windbreaker if the wind is up will get me through the warm up and opening 5-6 holes. but it is still pretty chilly to start. I like the compression undershirts because they do not restrict my swing like a jacket or pullover does.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Winter golf in Atlanta? LOL

We will walk, with the dogs, when it is at least 40°, not too windy or cloudy. Mizuno windlite jacket over a polypro insulated top, long johns under windproof pants, wear trail running shoes. Carry lots of treats so the dogs don't go deaf, I think they enjoy it more than we do. Warm hat is a must, might wear a glove if real cold. Secret is to not get hot and start to sweat, then you will freeze.

[quote name='thbrewst' timestamp='1416266174' post='10462953']
I keep hearing/reading about the Mizuno, but it seems a lot of people think that it is actually too hot for walking. Usually in Atlanta it is high 30's to low 50's during a winter golf round. It gets colder than that here, but then us southerns stay home (with the previously mentioned bottle of wiskey).

Also, don't see this specific model listed anywhere but Amazon. Did they rename it or get rid of it?
[/quote]

I think they changed the name. Might be called the Warmalite now. I wear the full zip model so that I can unzip enough to keep from sweating.

BT
[/quote]
Is the ColdGear ArmourVent the base layer?

Thermos full of coffee (Irish if very cold), neckwarmer type thing that i normally wear for skiing, mittens and some sort of obnoxious bobble hat.

Clothes wise one of the fleecy lined UA compression tops, polo, 1/4 zip wind jumper (possibility for a second thin tracksuit top under that)

Fleece lined trousers are a godsend also

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

I live in WI so I have a pretty good regimen. This has been pretty good for me. Played last week at Whistling Straits with 20 mph winds, 38*, and snow flurries. I walked and stayed really warm.

-Under Armour Cold Gear Base Layer
-Short Sleeve Golf Shirt
-Footjoy Chillout Pullover
-Footjoy Tour XP Rain Jacket

-Under Armour Cold Gear Compression Pants
-Footjoy Tour XP Rain Pants

-Callaway Neck Warmer
-Nike VRS Fleece Winter Hat

-2 Pairs of Socks
-Titleist Cart Mits with Hand Warmers

WITB
Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0*

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 15* 

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 19* 

Ping i525 4-UW

Titleist Vokey SM8- 54* and 58*

Custom Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1

I play until the courses close! Was about 29 degrees and windy saturday and I stayed warm. I always use a cart, I'm just too lazy to walk.

Base layer to wick sweat. Anything but cotton. Actually I would say don't wear any cotton when trying to stay warm. Polyester/spandex mix is my favorite. Brand doesn't matter, the material is all that matters.

Mid layer for insulation. A Thick fleece, wool sweater, or thin wool sweater and thin fleece. I like a snug fitting, thick fleece. Again, brand doesn't matter, but polartec is the best fleece.

Outer layer to block wind and rain. Anything not restrictive that blocks the wind/rain. Goretex is best, but there are a few other options.

The layering system is the exact same for your legs. Three layers, but the insulation layer can be much lighter for your legs. I use under armour heat gear underwear, fleece pajama pants, and wind/rain proof pants over that.

I wear a typical winter hat, and a neck warmer, both fleece. The neck warmer really helps, but make sure it's loose fitting.

I wear a regular golf glove on each hand, but have winter gloves I will throw on if my hands get cold.

That is all you need.

PING G20 9.5*
V-STEEL 15*
PING G5 19*
MP-30 4-PW
MP-T4 52*
PING Anser G2i

[quote name='BCULAW' timestamp='1416259411' post='10462343']

BT
[/quote]

Tell me more about the golf ball. I play as long as the course is open, regardless of conditions, but this past year marked my first experience with winter golf. Found a nice propane cart heater, and some good "layers. Looking for a quality cart cover to keep the good propane heat in. My big remaining issues are the ball that won't compress and the soft conditions that are very prone to bad digging. What specific ball have you found to work well? Any thoughts on a winter iron and wedge set?
[/quote]

Wilson makes some really low compression balls that, I think, feel pretty good even close to freezing. The Duo, Zip (hard to find) and Elite Fifty are the ones I play. Elite Fifty can be had for around $13. Everything else seems to feel like a rock when it get really cold.

BTW, walking is the key to staying warm in really cold temps.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

[quote name='thbrewst' timestamp='1416242240' post='10460725']
Historically I have avoided golfing in 'cold' weather, but this year I'm trying to power through. Wondering what products folks like. I gather a base thermal layer is fairly common, but what do folks wear on top of that? I typically prefer to not get bound up on my swing with jackets and clothes, so anything that seems to be free swinging would be great for me. I also try to walk if I can so I don't want to get so bundled that I start sweating while I'm walking (yes, I'm out of shape, but I'm trying ;> ).

BTW, in Atlanta metro. Also golf quite a bit in the mountains of NC.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, ideas, and experiences.
[/quote]

I play through the winter here in Scotland and I wear an Under Armour cold gear base layer, a thin polo shirt then a waterproof jacket. Lined trousers are a big help.
I never bother with gloves but many do. The snood is a great invention keeping my neck warm and of course some kind of close knit hat that doesn't let the wind whip through it.
Usually the winter temp. is from around 0 to 10* and it is usually the wind chill that makes it feel coldest, that is why I prefer a wayerproof for warmth.

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]
Callaway MD 2 58 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

Atlanta!? Dang. I'd be playing in shorts all year round (I'm in PA).... But seriously.... I recommend:

1. Under Armour (or similar brand) base layer. Long tights and long sleeve turtleneck.
2. Normal golf pants
3. Two pairs of socks.
4. 1/4 zip with a fleece lining. I have a handful of UA ones that look normal from the outside but have a fleece inside. Fit nice so that there's not a lot of flapping material.
5. Beanie
6. FootJoy wintersof or FootJoy rain gloves. The rain gloves are a bit thinner but still pretty warm. I play the rain gloves if I can.

You wear that and you can play in any temperature at or above where the course turns in to a big green slab of asphalt.

PING G410 LST 10.5* --- Project X Evenflow Blue 55-S

PING G410 17.5* & 20.5* FW --- Aldila Tour Blue 65-S

Titleist 818H1 23* Hybrid --- Project X Evenflow Riptide 80-6.0

PING i210 5-UW --- Nippon Modus 105-S

PING Glide 3.0 Eye2 54* & 58* --- Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

L.A.B. DF3 --- Accra x L.A.B.

[quote name='nicholasriehl' timestamp='1417179174' post='10513315']
Atlanta!? Dang. I'd be playing in shorts all year round (I'm in PA)....
[/quote]

I've spent a lot of time in PA, so I understand. But I play in North Atlanta and it can get pretty bad here sometimes- had to play a tournament in December last year when the temps never got above 38* and the wind was blowing 20 mph. I've played other events in sleet, etc. here. A few weeks ago my group was one of only two groups on the course on a Saturday morning with a high of 40* and wind gusts up to 35 mph.

I have some base layer stuff (Champion) that I bought at Target for the worst days. I don't like playing in it because I don't like swinging with tight clothing, but I wear it when I have to.
Base layer,
polo shirt
then either a Cutter & Buck wind jacket, or my rain gear jacket.
Wool socks (hiking socks are good for this),
A baseball cap with a wool cap pulled over it.

On days that aren't quite so bad, I can go with fleece half-zips instead of the wind jacket or rain jacket.

Oh, and chapstick. That's what I generally forget to bring, and I regret it every time I forget.