Playing golf in Vancouver Canada (NO POLITICS!)

DeNinny

Furry Creek and Westwood Plateau...what to expect?
Just curious about any local knowledge on both of these courses (which look amazing on their websites). Please share if you have played either. Also if there are courses in the vicinity of equal quality and lesser cost, I would like to know. Thanks & Oh Canadaaaa...

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

I would play Nicklaus North over Furry Creek...

Furry Creek although nice, is pretty tricked up....for the dollar (I think it's the same) Nicklaus North in Whistler is a MUCH better course/layout.

• Like 1

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

2 great tracks. Lots of elevation and scenary especially at Furry. Furry is more target style golf, remember to adjust to the various elevation changes. Both courses offer outstanding customer service. Definetely try other courses including Northlands, Northview-Ridge(home of the former ACC), Peace Portal, Mayfair Lakes, and Fraserview just to name a few. All under $100.00 CDN. Go to lastminutegolferbc.com for decent discounts. ;)

I would play Nicklaus North over Furry Creek...

Furry Creek although nice, is pretty tricked up....for the dollar (I think it's the same) Nicklaus North in Whistler is a MUCH better course/layout.

I feel the same way. Play Nicklaus North instead. If you're going all the way up there, might as well go on a little further and play up in Whistler. Also, don't discount any courses on Vancouver Island. There are some great tracks over there including Bear Mountain (Nicklaus design), Gorge Vale, and Royal Colwood. If you are staying in the Greater Vancouver area, you have to remember three courses are not available to play right now (Fraserview, McCleery, and Langara) due to a strike (courses aren't really worth playing anyways). If you know someone up here that belongs to a private course, they are worth playing (esp. Capilano; which is top 10 in Canada, Shaughnessy, Marine Drive, and Point Grey). However, there are some decent public courses that you can get on: Peace Portal, Northview (Ridge Course had the PGA Air Canada Championship for a number of years), Mayfair Lakes (Canadian Tour stop), Westwood Plateau and Morgan Creek (IMHO, one of the better courses that is worth playing).

If you need any help, PM me for details or questions.

Furry Creek does have views over the water but the layout of the course is less desirable. I suggest if your into mountain side courses try Northlands or play Big Sky just past Whistler. The rates at Westwood Plateau are among the highest in the lower mainland so I never played there.

I play most of my golf at Northview & I recommend you play here. Both courses designed by Arnold Plamer & conditions are always top notch. The Ridge is the more challenging as front 9 has tighter fairways & slope (a bit of elevation) throughout the course.

Morgan Creek is worth trying as well

agree with "jogas" above. Only change is removing Fraserview from the list - my opinion.

LOVE Nick North in Whistler. Skins game was played there a while back. Chateau Whistler looks great though never played. Skip Furry - too tricked up. Not my style but if you like target and tricks, then the views will be stunning.

Nick North, Morgan Creek, Northview, Peace Portal, other whistler courses and the private ones (I grew up caddying at Capilano and know the course very well - AMAZING course, IF you know a member) are all top notch.

Next level down would be:

Seymour G&CC is public Mondays and Fridays (at least it was when I lived there 7 yrs ago). Awesome course. Relatively tight but fun. It is in North Van near Mount Seymour.

UBC is also a decent public track though can get slow if a busy day.

If venturing out to Chilliwack (a good hour from Vancouver) is The Falls. A little tricked up but not bad at all. Great course, though.

Have fun!!!!!

Titleist 915 D3 9.5 degree, Oban Devolution 6 (03 stiffness) 65g
TE Exotics CB2 3w 15 degree Proforce V2
Mizuno JPX 825 19 deg Hybrid fujikura s
Ping i20 blue dot, Rifle Project X 5.5
Cleveland RTX 588 56 degree, Rotex 2.0
Ping Anser 2i isopur

Thanks all for the knowledge. So many choices now. Ultimately it just means we have to go back and try more courses. Unfortunately we cannot get over to the island so the Victoria area courses, which look awesome, will have to wait.

As fate would have it we had to cancel Furry Creek anyway and now we are going to Northview (Ridge Course). The second day my wife still wants go to Westwood Plateau (we found some deals that take the bite off the high cost), so no change there.

I'll be back with reviews & comments.

Registered Bladeocrat

We've have a pretty wet summer. When are you coming up? This week looks pretty good in terms of weather.

We're coming up this weekend and so far Sat looks like a day of showers and Sun partly cloudy. No worries, we will have our rain gear and it doesn't matter to us anyway so long as it is not raining cats and dogs.

Registered Bladeocrat

Just got back. I have to thank you all for recommending Northview (Ridge). What a player's course! It is a course where nearly every shot is a challenge and there are a lot of risk/reward playing situations. For example I liked that short par 4 dogleg right that you can either go for the green by carrying the pond to the right or take a couple iron shots around the left side to play it safe. #7 and #18 are two great par 5's too, #7 challenges your second shot with the creek and #18 your drive with the split fairway and pond on the right. There seemed to be water hazards in places you just wished they weren't. The greens were also fast and the stimpmeter speed (@11) at the proshop was a nice touch. The staff was great too.

Westwood Plateau, although expensive to say the least, was a beautiful course and customer service was as good as it gets there. The course was in awesome shape: the greens rolled true at medium speed and the fairways and roughs were meticulously groomed. Big bunkers, the forest, and elevation change were the main challenges, and accuracy is emphasized over distance. It plays short, especially several of the par 4's and 5's. Also there were spots of great ankle high grass.

Both are great courses. I will be back to Northview, but Westwood Plateau's price will keep me away (unless my wife would make it worth my while :)

Lastly Canadians don't have beady little eyes and flapping heads, they are very nice people.

Registered Bladeocrat

Just got back. I have to thank you all for recommending Northview (Ridge). What a player's course! It is a course where nearly every shot is a challenge and there are a lot of risk/reward playing situations. For example I liked that short par 4 dogleg right that you can either go for the green by carrying the pond to the right or take a couple iron shots around the left side to play it safe. #7 and #18 are two great par 5's too, #7 challenges your second shot with the creek and #18 your drive with the split fairway and pond on the right. There seemed to be water hazards in places you just wished they weren't. The greens were also fast and the stimpmeter speed (@11) at the proshop was a nice touch. The staff was great too.

Westwood Plateau, although expensive to say the least, was a beautiful course and customer service was as good as it gets there. The course was in awesome shape: the greens rolled true at medium speed and the fairways and roughs were meticulously groomed. Big bunkers, the forest, and elevation change were the main challenges, and accuracy is emphasized over distance. It plays short, especially several of the par 4's and 5's. Also there were spots of great ankle high grass.

Both are great courses. I will be back to Northview, but Westwood Plateau's price will keep me away (unless my wife would make it worth my while :)

Lastly Canadians don't have beady little eyes and flapping heads, they are very nice people.

Glad you enjoyed the NW. We haven't had the usual nice August weather.... Northview is great. I played it AND got to watch the last Air Canada PGA tour event... Vijay, Calc, that weasel who Tiger crushed a couple weeks back.. there was tons of talent there and very cool. Anyway, cool!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

We were at Furry Creek for our Whistler golf trip last year, beautiful course but boy is it hard. It got kinda frustrating after a while, like someone said earlier it's all tricked up. Wouldn't mind playing that course again this year though, the second time around should be a lot easier. Fun nevertheless and for a decent price too.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Since golf season is right around the corner for us here in the lower mainland, I thought I'd give this topic a bump. Local courses that I'm looking forward to playing this season for the first time are Northview and Big Sky.

Local courses that I'm especially looking forward to playing again this year are Northlands, the Falls, Chateau Whistler (which personally, I prefer to Nicklaus North and Whistler G&CC), and Furry Creek (gimmicky but still a fun track).

Having not yet played Northview and Big Sky, my top 5 lower mainland courses (excluding the Island and Okanagan) in no particular order:

Chateau Whistler
Northlands
The Falls
Peace Portal
Morgan Creek

• 3 months later...

Westwood Plateau is a MESS......they have run out of operating money and the course is in HORRIBLE condition.........spoke to a Pro who played an event there last week.......it is down to 17 holes because they cannot maintain the severe downhill 15th.

Yonex Tri-G 10* driver
Yonex Ezone GT 15*  3  wood
Yonex Ezone GT 18*  5 wood
Yonex Ezone GT irons 4-AW
Miura Tour Black 54* SW
Miura Tour Black 60* LW
Miura KM007 Putter

My top 5 public courses (Lower mainland only)

1. [b]Morgan Creek[/b] - the nicest public course in the Lower Mainland in my opinion. Feels like a private track. Always in amazing shape. Super challenging course. Not for the slashers!
2. [b]Northview [/b]- Both the Ridge & Canal courses are great. Ridge course was not in great shape earlier this year which was a surprise. I'll be back to see what it's like soon.
3. [b]Redwoods [/b]- Beautiful course in Langley. I'm surprised this doesn't get more love! Always in great shape. A few very challenging holes.
4. [b]Fraserview [/b]- Great city owned course. Very open (easy) and fun course to play. In good shape considering the amount of traffic!
5. [b]Meadow Gardens[/b] - Very fun track in Maple Ridge. Quite open so you can really let the driver loose.

Honourable mentions
[b]Sandpiper [/b]- this is outside the lower mainland (near harrison hot springs) but I had to mention it. It is a BEAUTY! I would play here all the time if it was a little closer.
[b]Swan-e-set[/b] - Two great courses here. Both tough as nails. A great challenge.
[b]Northlands [/b]- Great back 9. Front 9 has too many hokey holes where a great drive can leave you with a crappy lie.
[b]UBC [/b]- Fun course and a great location. Gets tons of play but they keep it in good shape.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='RM Golf' timestamp='1309889283' post='3366188']
Westwood Plateau is a MESS......they have run out of operating money and the course is in HORRIBLE condition.........spoke to a Pro who played an event there last week.......it is down to 17 holes because they cannot maintain the severe downhill 15th.
[/quote]

Yep i live 5 minutes from westwood plateau and it has new owners who arent too concerned about maintence. The course used to have conditions comparable to the Vancouver Golf Club but now they have cut back. Ownership has been trying to get the course rezoned for housing which would be a same because that course has a spectacular layout and some incredible holes and views. Hole 3 is 230 yards over a gully which you must clear 200 yards or your ball is gone. My favorite par 3 I have ever played