Can You Change The Neck On A Solid Copper Putter??

rymail00

Get guys I have a solid copper Byron Makers proof 006 putter and was wondering if the neck could be cut off and a new different style neck be attached /welded?

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='rymail00' timestamp='1418710241' post='10599607']
Get guys I have a solid copper Byron Makers proof 006 putter and was wondering if the neck could be cut off and a new different style neck be attached /welded?
[/quote]
I've seen Byron do a couple of these. Stainless neck bored into a solid copper head.
[attachment=2537077:011.JPG]

I've read that's it's difficult to weld copper to stainless or carbon. Soder? Not sure. Don't know of anyone who has solid copper necks lying around either.

[quote name='PutterHo' timestamp='1418867410' post='10609823']
No !!!!!!! Keep that solid block intact. Please .... Pretty please !?!?
[/quote]

Lol yeah I rather have a half shaft offset and slightly more toe hang......but..... I don't want to have a beautiful copper head and steel neck. Personally, and just in my opinion it. looks terrible mixing the materials. I would just want my putter to look the same, in unison.

PutterHo-I did see your new SC. Got to admit I'm jealous. The 009 is at the top of my list for putters I'd like get, AND yours is copper too.....? I think I only remember seeing one like in the table rock pics from the PGA merchandise pics. But I could be completely wrong too lol

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s

You can definitely weld steel onto copper. It's definitely more involved, but can be done. Bettinardi has done is multiple times.

[attachment=2540031:betti cop.jpg]
[attachment=2540033:betti.jpg]
[attachment=2540035:beti.jpg]
[attachment=2540037:betti copper steel.jpg]

There's quite a bit of chemistry involved, but saying it's impossible would be wrong.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/[/url]

I believe it silver soldered and Bettinardi is the only one who will do it. It's not as strong as a true weld and might break if someone tries to adjust the lie. That is why most guys like Byron and Slighter will only do a bored and glued in neck on copper.

I wish someone would make a one piece flow neck copper.

I may be wrong, here's what a member had to say on puttertalk, but would still be leary if the lie needed to be adjusted.
[color=#333333][size=3][background=rgb(246, 246, 246)]Ryan copper can be welded, see some of the Circus Candy series putter from Bettinardi couple or three years back. I believe you just have to float the copper heads in dry ice whilst welding the Stainless Steel neck on, I don't exact the measurements but, by controlling the temperature of copper it can be achieved.[/background][/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3][background=rgb(246, 246, 246)]What I think Byron meant, was they don't weld copper. I mean no offence or slight towards Byron and his putters and I also note Bettinardi have done this very few times so, I consider it ain't simple or an exact science either but, for correctness copper can be welded.[/background][/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3][background=rgb(246, 246, 246)]Regards[/background][/size][/color]
[color=#333333][size=3][background=rgb(246, 246, 246)]T[/background][/size][/color]

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

Hey thanks guys for posting and doing some great research (that I couldn't find). So it seems the neck can be changed but it's not a copper neck, it's stainless or carbon or whatever the material may be. My Makers Proof 006 is my favorite Anser 2 shape (slightly different than my standard 006, and Kingston KP2 second). The color, and everything is perfect, I just prefer a half shaft offset but man I just don't like the mix of metal. It just looks....terrible IMHO. Some of you guys might like it but man I just can't get past the way they look. I'm going to keep it the way it is.

I just looked at the Cameron thread someone posted. The 009 is probably my favorite putter head, maybe just slightly more than MP 006, but even those with mixed material.....I just couldn't do it. This might sound petty but I believe if you really like the look of something it can give a little extra confidence, but I just couldn't look at it standing over the ball.

Putterho just grabbed a solid copper 009 and looking at that pic compared to the mixed material head 009 is not even comparable.

I'm sorry. I hope I didn't offend anyone with my dislike of mixed material heads. If I did please don't take but personal. It was not meant to be.

Again thanks again guys. I will just keep it the way it is.
Ryan

Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s

I agree on not putting a carbon neck on that copper putter...but not all mixed material heads are bad.... Take a carbon dh89 , 009 or the Mucho-Macho MA/66 and add a stainless log flow neck....finish the body in polished gun blue or torch.. and then polish the stainless neck and you have a thing of beauty ....my opinion of course....but just wanted it said that all mixed material putters aren't created equal

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1418960561' post='10615219']
I agree on not putting a carbon neck on that copper putter...but not all mixed material heads are bad.... Take a carbon dh89 or 009 and add a stainless log flow neck....finish the body in polished gun blue or torch.. and then polish the stainless neck and you have a thing of beauty ....my opinion of course....but just wanted it said that all mixed material putters aren't created equal
[/quote]

Very true. I'm sure there's a lot of people who do like mixing materials to get a certain look their looking for. Personally it doesn't float my boat, but if other people like it, that's cool with me.

Bladehunter, thanks for your post. I believe Machine does that more ofter than other companies or maybe get asked more....

Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s

Prefer the 1 piece copper, neck and body look over a mixed metals look for sure.

However, a big plus for say a stainless neck bored into a copper body is the strength of the neck. Solid copper necks like the one on my Byron 612 are S O F T. Lean on it just the slightest bit and all of a sudden you have a putter that's 9* upright. Much easier to keep in spec with a steel neck.

Very true. I think I'm going to send it Byron and have check the specs. The last it was done was I think in 2012 by Kevin Colbert.

I wonder if the hosel could be bent back for maybe half shaft offset without screwing up the balance of the putter......?

Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s

I love the look and feel of copper putters. They develop a personality over time as they change color.

I quit making them with copper necks years ago because the necks would not hold their original specs as most people like to use their putter as a kickstand on the green while others in their group putt or they would get pressed it into the green with their off hand while bending over to get the ball out of the cup. In my case, it has nothing to do with the contrasting metals, it is solely a structural integrity issue.

Pure copper putters are typically milled from Cu alloy 110 which is 99.99% pure copper with the remaining 00.01% being oxygen. This alloy is easily brazed and an excellent craftsman can braze a neck to a blade with high a silver content solder or sil-phos and make it look like a weld. These solder types have a melt point in excess of 1100* F and are extremely strong. A bore thru with epoxy is extremely strong too and is not inferior to the brazed neck versions.

Lump

You didn't offend anyone. Putters are the one piece of equipment that are truly timeless. I love having mine modified. I was being sarcastic with my original reply. I actually like the contrasting metals on a lot of different putters. Any pics of your Byron 006? Don't feel pressured not to. There are probably 4 or 5 great putter gurus who could do the work for you.

Ping G400 Max 10.5 Accra Z55 LS
Callaway Rogue 4 wood
Callaway Epic 19* Accra FX1000
Srixon Z565 4-AW
Vokey Indigo 54
Vokey Indigo 60
Camico Newport 2

[quote name='PutterHo' timestamp='1419041298' post='10619259']
You didn't offend anyone. Putters are the one piece of equipment that are truly timeless. I love having mine modified. I was being sarcastic with my original reply. I actually like the contrasting metals on a lot of different putters. Any pics of your Byron 006? Don't feel pressured not to. There are probably 4 or 5 great putter gurus who could do the work for you.
[/quote]

Actually you right in your first post. This putter is my favorite Anser 2 putter, and I'd hate to change it. I always putted with a plumbers neck until recently. It's not like I can't, or didn't outta well with it. It's more of just a "preferred look". Plus the putters kinda of a peace of Byron history (as I believe it to be). It was a small trial run of 5 putters. I have a regular 006 carbon with copper plated finish. Maybe if I decide to do it I'll do it with that one.

Plus it's hit a great color to it too.

Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s

• 4 years later...

I thought I'd resurrect this old thread. I'm thinking of trying exactly this. I'm going to purchase some older copper coated Pings and bronze Pings. My plan is to buy 3/8 round stock, set the bend, then grind, sand, file to finish. I am planning to drill a 3/8 hole in the putter and turn down the neck to fit tightly. I plan to epoxy and have a press fit,but like the look of the silver solder. It may wreck the epoxy but I'll report back with updates. Has anyone tried this? I've tried to find someone to tig braze a flowneck but none of the shops I've talked will do it. I want the original anser shape, no site line, with a flow neck.

Driver- PING G400 VC 6.1 X
5 wood- Bridgestone J33 VS Proto
3-PW JPX 900 Tour SPR X
52,56,60 Ping Glide
Putter - Scotty Cameron TEi3 Newport

Copper brazing would be an option. Finding someone that can do it is another issue. Here is a link from The Fabricator.

https://www.thefabricator.com/article/arcwelding/brazing-copper-and-copper-alloys

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Yes, TIG welding is a better option. I prefer the weld profile of TIG welds when performed with someone with a steady hand and great welding talent. One thing to keep in mind that fumes from welding copper is toxic. Whomever is welding this hopefully has a ventilated welding hood (helmet).

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on