Colorado WRX 2015

Comments

• irvtrainirvtrain Denver, CO 1029WRX Points: 121Handicap: .4Members Posts: 1,029 Platinum Tees
    dirtyboy wrote:

Thanks, planning on Devils Thumb and Redlands. I've played Redlands twice, best of the Engh courses. Satellite photos of Devils Thumb are pretty awesome. Unfortunately, can't book a tee time until a week out, have hotel rooms lined up. Redlands also has tourneys going while we are there and thinks we should be able to go out before or after the groups. Looking forward to it, also going to St. George 3 days before Junction. Golf, and rooms, are so much cheaper there. Thinking of doing the Raven on the way out. Have done Breckenridge and Lakota, Raven seemed next unless someone has a better choice? Red Sky is just too many $$$$. We love golf.

I wouldn't worry about tee times at Devil's Thumb. I've always just showed up. I mainly would call ahead make sure there is no league or something. Otherwise it's usually wide open. I don't think I've played a round there that took over 3 hours. Once I was playing with my sister in law and we let a twosome play through and we finished in 2:45, lol.

I like Raven the most out of the Summit courses. I think mainly because of 8 and 9 lol. You have to hit driver off of 9 even though it is not the best of decisions.

I like Coral Canyon in St. George but you have to, have to play Wolf Creek in Mesquite. It is the best course in that area in my opinion. Have fun.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • I_HATE_SNOWI_HATE_SNOW  3423WRX Points: 225Members Posts: 3,423 Titanium Tees
    We did Wolf Creek, unfortunately the end of September is cart path only to slow greens as they've just aerated and overseeded. Stopped going to Mesquite and Vegas due to course conditions the end of September. The exceptions were Coyote Springs (done in August) and Mountain Falls in Pahrump.
    Posted:
  • pseudoswedepseudoswede Fear the Power Draw Parker, CO 1490WRX Points: 217Handicap: 9ishMembers Posts: 1,490 Platinum Tees

I hope I can get in at least one range session before my league tournament at Murphy Creek on Sunday.

Range never happened. For having not touched a golf club in three weeks, I guess I shouldn't be too down on myself with an 85. I was 2-over after 7, then the wheels came off with a triple on 9. We also played from the white tees, so I almost drove three greens. I think I played those three holes 2-over. Except for two holes, I was absolutely striping my driver down the middle with a nice draw, so I have that going for me.

One of the side games today was best ball net foursome. Our foursome came in first with a smooth 51. Everyone contributed, which is always nice.

Hyland Hills next Sunday.
    Posted:
    "In the end, everything is fine; if it is not fine, it is not the end."

--Unknown

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X
    Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
    Ping Glide 52°, 56°, 60° (orange dot)
    Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
    Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)
  • pseudoswedepseudoswede Fear the Power Draw Parker, CO 1490WRX Points: 217Handicap: 9ishMembers Posts: 1,490 Platinum Tees
    I should also add that Murphy Creek's greens were crazy fast. My finest achievement yesterday was lagging a 40-foot uphill putt...20 feet past the hole. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
    Posted:

--Unknown

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X
  • cphreycphrey #SLDRChallenger  1828WRX Points: 26Handicap: 7.3Members Posts: 1,828 Platinum Tees
    Finally tamed South Suburban's greens. Shot 78 on Friday with 3 birdies and left 3 strokes out there too. Scores can always be lower, right?
    Posted:
    Callaway GBB 9* (set at 11*) Diamana S+ Blueboard 60X
    TM SLDR Mini 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m X
    TM SLDR 5 wood Matrix Black Tie 8m3 S
    TM Stage 2 tour hybrid 22* Altus 85X
    SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
    TM ATV 52
    Callaway MD 2 54 & 58 KBS wedge
    TM SpiderBlade Custom
  • SeaOfGreen10SeaOfGreen10  365WRX Points: 0Handicap: 14Members Posts: 365

I should also add that Murphy Creek's greens were crazy fast. My finest achievement yesterday was lagging a 40-foot uphill putt...20 feet past the hole. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Great....I'm supposed to play there in about a week. My last two rounds I've averaged 40 putts because of terrible lag putting. Should be a blast....
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • forecast6236forecast6236  371WRX Points: 63Members Posts: 371 Greens
    Love the greens at The Murph. They roll so pure. Played well in my men's club tourny there on Saturday if you don't count the (should be) simple 16th hole. Ruined my chances at 2nd. 1st place shot 65....
    Posted:

If I can find the **** who screwed up the GPS markers on my golf GPS app, I will wrap my lob wedge around his neck.

I was cruising along at 3-over through 17. I put my drive (4-iron) on 18 down the middle of the fairway. I open up my golf GPS app, and it says 90yds to the front edge of the green. The pin is two paces off the front edge. I think, "Great, I'll take a full LW over the pin and spin it back a little." Instead, it plunks right into the creek. I take a double-bogey and a 77.

After the round, I go back into the golf GPS app, and that's when I noticed someone placed the "front green" GPS marker in front of the creek. Deep. Calm. Breaths. Such is life with a crowd-sourced app.

HylandHills18.png

On the bright side, the 77 was my best round in almost two years. I won low gross plus $120 in league winnings (one CTP, two skins, and some nassau money), and I also won my match play against a solid 8-capper 3&2.

Buffalo Run next Sunday.
    Posted:

--Unknown

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X
    My golf league has one spot left for Buffalo Run this Sunday (August 23). You would complete the field of 24 (two flights of 12). Tee times start at 8am.

http://www.frgclub.com/?q=node/62

I posted about Red Hawk Ridge in the other thread, and that post has more details on what your guest fee money includes.

Would need to know by early afternoon. Send an e-mail to the address at the bottom right corner of the FRGC website. But if you have any other questions, shoot me a PM.
    Posted:

--Unknown

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X
  • masamitsumasamitsu  2511WRX Points: 142Handicap: 4-6Members Posts: 2,511 Titanium Tees
    I'd love to play but my wife and I are playing in the Couples CC on the 23rd. From what I remember, I liked Buffalo Run.
    Posted:
    Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
    Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
    Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
    Titleist 4i AMT S300
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
    Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
    Carbon Ringo 1/4
    Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+
    masamitsu wrote:

I'd love to play but my wife and I are playing in the Couples CC on the 23rd. From what I remember, I liked Buffalo Run.

From what I was told, Buffalo Run has been in awful shape the past few years. Hit hard by some vegetation blight/virus. It's finally in decent shape again.
    Posted:

--Unknown

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X

Advertisement
  • masamitsumasamitsu  2511WRX Points: 142Handicap: 4-6Members Posts: 2,511 Titanium Tees
    well i do admit it's been a few years.
    Posted:
    Titleist 4i AMT S300
    Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
    Carbon Ringo 1/4
    I had to do a deep search on another forum to find the last time I played Buffalo Run: May 2008.
    Posted:

--Unknown

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X
  • cphreycphrey #SLDRChallenger  1828WRX Points: 26Handicap: 7.3Members Posts: 1,828 Platinum Tees
    I played Buff Run about a month ago and it was in fine shape. Not as great as it was some years back, but definitely on its way back up and looking good again.
    Posted:
    SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
    TM ATV 52
    TM SpiderBlade Custom
  • forecast6236forecast6236  371WRX Points: 63Members Posts: 371 Greens

If I can find the **** who screwed up the GPS markers on my golf GPS app, I will wrap my lob wedge around his neck.

I was cruising along at 3-over through 17. I put my drive (4-iron) on 18 down the middle of the fairway. I open up my golf GPS app, and it says 90yds to the front edge of the green. The pin is two paces off the front edge. I think, "Great, I'll take a full LW over the pin and spin it back a little." Instead, it plunks right into the creek. I take a double-bogey and a 77.

After the round, I go back into the golf GPS app, and that's when I noticed someone placed the "front green" GPS marker in front of the creek. Deep. Calm. Breaths. Such is life with a crowd-sourced app.

HylandHills18.png

On the bright side, the 77 was my best round in almost two years. I won low gross plus $120 in league winnings (one CTP, two skins, and some nassau money), and I also won my match play against a solid 8-capper 3&2.

Buffalo Run next Sunday.

I really can't stand that hole. But you should have checked the ground yardages in addition to the app just in case. I usually do that even though I use a laser since sometimes I get lazy on how I'm pointing at the pin and screw it up.
    Posted:
  • irvtrainirvtrain Denver, CO 1029WRX Points: 121Handicap: .4Members Posts: 1,029 Platinum Tees
    Friends of ours and the wife decided they wanted to get peaches this past weekend. My arm was obviously twisted, so I made it out to Devils Thumb for a round with my oldest (7). A couple teaser pics.
    Posted:

Advertisement
    Looks pretty cool. What did you think?
    Posted:
    Titleist 4i AMT S300
    Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
    Carbon Ringo 1/4
    masamitsu wrote:

Looks pretty cool. What did you think?

I love it. This was probably my 8th time playing it. Probably the most underrated course in the state by far. I love the land and 360* views. It reminds me of Ballyneal before Ballyneal came along.
    Posted:
  • I_HATE_SNOWI_HATE_SNOW  3423WRX Points: 225Members Posts: 3,423 Titanium Tees
    Good to know, we will be playing Devils Thumb next month.
    Posted:

HylandHills18.png

I really can't stand that hole. But you should have checked the ground yardages in addition to the app just in case. I usually do that even though I use a laser since sometimes I get lazy on how I'm pointing at the pin and screw it up.

What's really cool with my golf GPS app is that I can long-press on the map to get instant yardage to that point. I really need to take advantage of that feature more often. In the future, I will long-press on the screen where the pin is roughly located to double-check.
    Posted:

--Unknown

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X
    Buffalo Run is in fantastic shape. And the greens are OMGWTFBBQ fast. People in my league (most who also play at Club Corp courses) said these were the fastest greens they've played on all season.

I shot a craptacular 88 with 40 putts. Last week, I was averaging 295 with my driver off the tee; yesterday, I was averaging 260. No idea why except that I could feel something was off. It sucked.
    Posted:

--Unknown

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X

Advertisement

Buffalo Run is in fantastic shape. And the greens are OMGWTFBBQ fast. People in my league (most who also play at Club Corp courses) said these were the fastest greens they've played on all season.

I shot a craptacular 88 with 40 putts. Last week, I was averaging 295 with my driver off the tee; yesterday, I was averaging 260. No idea why except that I could feel something was off. It sucked.

The air must have been thick or something yesterday. My whole group was averaging 10-15 yards less on drives, it was strange. Maybe those fires are bringing in smoky air that is somehow thicker or more dense? I don't know, but I do know we all had lost some distance yesterday.

Also, I am thinking this is my lost season. or my season of reconstruction. I have never had so much doubt in my game as I do this season. I have been searching for something and may have recently figured it out, had one good round trying to incorporate it (shortening my swing) and since then have fallen right back down. Anyone else ever have this sort of golf season? Everything is a chore. Every round I am scrambling or grinding to make something happen. Kinda sucks but in the long run I guess, once I engrain the shorter backswing and more connected swing, it should make me a better player. But right now I really kinda just suck at golf and it's getting frustrating. Hopefully I can work on it in this last couple months of golf in CO and come out firing next season.
    Posted:
    SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
    TM ATV 52
    TM SpiderBlade Custom
  • DTown3011DTown3011 #DTown3011  3622WRX Points: 233ClubWRX Posts: 3,622 ClubWRX

40 putts?! Ouch, that must have been a painful day!
    Posted:
    Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
    Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
    Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
    X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
    Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
    MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
    Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
    Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track
    DTown3011 wrote:

Putting has been one of my biggest weaknesses since I started playing regularly* again a few years ago.

* - regularly defined by me as at least playing 8 times a year.
    Posted:

--Unknown

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X
  • DTown3011DTown3011 #DTown3011  3622WRX Points: 233ClubWRX Posts: 3,622 ClubWRX

DTown3011 wrote:

Putting has been one of my biggest weaknesses since I started playing regularly* again a few years ago.

I switched to a counterbalanced Tank-style putter this year and have had the best putting year in my life. I've gone from a decent putter to having it be a strength of my game.
    Posted:
    Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
    Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
    Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
    X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
    Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
    MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
    Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
    Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track
  • Jamboy72Jamboy72 Powered by the old school  5967WRX Points: 157Members Posts: 5,967 Titanium Tees
    DTown3011 wrote:

DTown3011 wrote:

I switched to a counterbalanced Tank-style putter this year and have had the best putting year in my life. I've gone from a decent putter to having it be a strength of my game.

Honestly, I think that counter-balancing is huge...than and I've taken some Aimpoint classes and really like it!
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank  14972WRX Points: 985ClubWRX Posts: 14,972 ClubWRX
    Jamboy72 wrote:

DTown3011 wrote:

DTown3011 wrote:

Honestly, I think that counter-balancing is huge...than and I've taken some Aimpoint classes and really like it!

I had a guy buy a pickup from me early this year. He wanted to trade me some golf equipment, which included a Cameron counter balanced putter. I immediately disliked it very much but figured it would be easy to sell so I took it. Decided I would give it one try (this must have been around March), it hasn't left my bag yet. It's been far and away my best putting year (its too bad the rest of the game decided to abandon me). It's just so easy to roll it with that putter.
    Posted:
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
    Talk about a scoring day at Red Hawk Ridge on Saturday, check out these ridonkulous net scores in our A flight. We also played the yellow tees (one off the tips).

Net score (gross score)

-10 (68)

-8 (75)

-6 (82)

-5 (75)

-5 (79) me

-2 (78)

-2 (78)

-1 (85)

Winner of the A flight is playing incredibly good golf right now. Low net in the B flight was -12.

Just so you all don't think we're a bunch of sandbaggers, the net score range for the A flight at Buffalo Run the previous week was E to +11.

I'm still having a bit of trouble off the tee, and I only had 31 putts. I went out in 37, but I had to birdie 18 to break 80. Argh.

Indian Peaks in two weeks.
    Posted:

--Unknown

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X
    If I could only finish a round! Was 9 over on 17 and 18 combined for Sat and Sun in the Wellshire Club Championship and finished T4. If I could've knocked even just a few off of that I would've taken 2nd alone. The guy that won shot net 59 yesterday so no one was catching that. UGH! I let the possibility of being in contention get in my head and just botched the last two holes each day. I considered taking a 7 iron off the tee on 18 yesterday which I should've done bc I hit my tee shot into the hazard short and left AGAIN. Oh well though, learning experience I guess.
    Posted:
    SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
    TM ATV 52
    TM SpiderBlade Custom

Advertisement
    18 is such an intimidating tee shot, especially from the back tee box. The last five holes are challenging because you should play a fade off the tee--something I absolutely cannot do.

That new house on 14 is pimp. I'm just waiting for someone to shank one through one of their million windows. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
    Posted:

--Unknown

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X
This discussion has been closed.