Colorado WRX 2015

pseudoswede

This is an annual thread for Colorado residents. Feel free to post anything Colorado golf-related in this thread. For example...

• Great deals on green fees
  • Looking for a playing partner/golf league/club membership
  • Golf course news/reviews
  • How awesome it was golfing last weekend wearing shorts and a t-shirt ... in January
  • How awesome it was golfing last weekend wearing snow gear ... in June
  • Accomplishing the Colorado duofecta of skiing and golfing on the same day

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually looking for a new club to join. I live in Parker and have been a member of HEB the last 4 years.

What I'm looking for is:
- A nice course that's well maintained
- Participate in Men's club (because of political reasons no longer an option at HEB)
- Close to home (I have 2 year old)
- Ability to get out early on the weekend (At HEB I was usually off at 6am and don't before 9)
- Nice practice facility with grass range
- Best bang for my buck (I have a 2 year old :)

I've checked out the following:

Omni Interlocken (cause I have buddies who play up there):
Pro: Nice staff, 27 holes, private practice area for members
Con: an hour away from Parker

Inverness:
Pro: Nice staff, good course, easy walking course, ton of member bene's
Con: pay for push cart if you want to push - can't bring your own

Club Corp (Blackstone / Black Bear)
** Have a meeting with the membership director next Sat (17 Jan).

Any others I should check out?

Thanks,
Bert

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

A friend in my golf league used to be a member at Inverness. He said the Men's Club is virtually non-existant. He joined Canongate/ClubCorp.

Three others in our area to look at...

* Meridian - if I had the cash, I'd join this in a heartbeat. Very walker-friendly. The biggest drawback is that it's pure golf--nothing else for the family. The only other real advantage is that it's cheaper than The Pinery or Valley CC.
* Lone Tree - I've always liked the course, it's also walker-friendly, and the Men's Club looks to be very large. $3500/yr which includes locker, club storage, and use of tennis courts. Disadvantages: on top of membership, you must pay $1 fee for every 9 holes you play; lackluster guest fee rates
* Highlands Ranch Golf Course - never played; owned by DU now; $3100/yr

ClubCorp is probably the best bang for the buck, but both courses are brutal for walkers.

My strategy this year is my golf league and a range membership to Meridian. I will rarely have time for a random, weekend morning round outside my league, but I may have time for a quick 9 after work.

Swede,
Thanks for the suggestions. I ruled out HRGC because I think it's too far from home but didn't think about Lone Tree and Meridian. I'm really only looking for golf as we have the other stuff with our HOA (pool, gym etc) I'll have to give those a look.

Thanks,
Bert

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

Finally making the move to Denver (house is on the market in Flagstaff).

I don't think I'll be able to get my wife to buy on the southside.

Any thoughts on clubs in north Denver, Westminster, or maybe Thornton?

I think these will be my best chance. Maybe The Ranch Country Club?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Callaway Epic Flash 9* 
Callaway Epic 3W 15*
Titleist 818 H1 19* 
Mizuno MP18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-iron 2* flat KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Srixon Z785 5-P 2*flat KBS Tour Stiff 1/4inch short
50 SM7 F Grind 2*flat KBS Tour Stiff
54, 58 SM7 M Grind  2*flat KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Studio Select Laguna 2 33' 2*flat

[quote name='ajsmith227' timestamp='1421165697' post='10739133']
Finally making the move to Denver (house is on the market in Flagstaff).

I don't think I'll be able to get my wife to buy on the southside.

Any thoughts on clubs in north Denver, Westminster, or maybe Thornton?

I think these will be my best chance. Maybe The Ranch Country Club?

Thanks for any thoughts!
[/quote]

Ranch is pretty far east...but depends on where you end up living...also depends in you're looking for an annual kind of deal or private/equity kind of place - My parents live in the north suburbs and I'm about 40 miles north of them...tons of great courses - just depends on what you're looking for...

Thanks Jamboy72. Still trying to figure out how the locals define geography in town. I'm sure I'll ask more when I have a better idea where we'll buy a house.

Callaway Epic Flash 9* 
Callaway Epic 3W 15*
Titleist 818 H1 19* 
Mizuno MP18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-iron 2* flat KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Srixon Z785 5-P 2*flat KBS Tour Stiff 1/4inch short
50 SM7 F Grind 2*flat KBS Tour Stiff
54, 58 SM7 M Grind  2*flat KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Studio Select Laguna 2 33' 2*flat

[quote name='ajsmith227' timestamp='1421166673' post='10739217']
Thanks Jamboy72. Still trying to figure out how the locals define geography in town. I'm sure I'll ask more when I have a better idea where we'll buy a house.
[/quote]

I live on the southern edge of E-470, and I classify anything north of downtown as Wyoming. :D

A pre-emptive welcome to you and your family!

[/quote]

Northside:

City of Westminster has a annual pass for both Legacy Ridge and Heritage of Westmoor. They are two of the better courses public or private. They keep the courses in very good condition year round. Mens club is fairly good. Not a lot of members but some better golfers. (I'm a member)

The Ranch is pretty good. Unsure of their initiation and dues.

Omni has 3 good nines and nice practice facility. I use to do their annual pass several years ago. I believe their initiation and dues are reasonable with discounts to their high end hotel and restaurant.

Depending on how far north you go, Colorado National is a very good course with some sort of membership. (Too far north for me to ever inquire)

Avoid Westwoods as their greens are never faster than an 8 on the stimp.

I would suggest checking out these courses when you come out. P.S I'm a Realtor if you need one or a good golfing buddy as I try to play whenever I can. lol.

[quote name='irvtrain' timestamp='1421378575' post='10755073']
[/quote]

Northside:

City of Westminster has a annual pass for both Legacy Ridge and Heritage of Westmoor. They are two of the better courses public or private. They keep the courses in very good condition year round. Mens club is fairly good. Not a lot of members but some better golfers. (I'm a member)

Omni has 3 good nines and nice practice facility. I use to do their annual pass several years ago. I believe their initiation and dues are reasonable with discounts to their high end hotel and restaurant.

Depending on how far north you go, Colorado National is a very good course with some sort of membership. (Too far north for me to ever inquire)

I would suggest checking out these courses when you come out. P.S I'm a Realtor if you need one or a good golfing buddy as I try to play whenever I can. lol.
[/quote]

Hey Irv, my wife has been bugging me lately about moving to Denver. But the cost of golf has been a question for me.

These annual passes, approximately how much do they cost, and what do you get for them?

For us here, even though the courses are public, you can buy a "membership", which allows for unlimited play. Wondered if the passes were similar, or just for X number of rounds.

Thanks

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1421415771' post='10756573']
[quote name='irvtrain' timestamp='1421378575' post='10755073']
[/quote]

Northside:

[/quote]

Hey Irv, my wife has been bugging me lately about moving to Denver. But the cost of golf has been a question for me.

These annual passes, approximately how much do they cost, and what do you get for them?

For us here, even though the courses are public, you can buy a "membership", which allows for unlimited play. Wondered if the passes were similar, or just for X number of rounds.

Thanks
[/quote]

Each course has different options. Some are golf Mon.-Thurs., one round per day, no cart. and no range balls. Some can be all inclusive, unlimited golf, unlimited range, etc. Depends on the course again.

If you're on the north side with a family, Omni is worth the look. Southside, as others mentioned, the Black Bear/Blackstone through clubcorp is good. Both clubs will be mostly cart as walking can be tough.

Costs will vary from low $2,000s-$5,000 annually plus initiation if applicable. Otherwise getting punch cards and looking for daily deals can be a better option as there a ton of fun courses in the area offering variety.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1421429309' post='10757911']
Thanks Irv.

No family, and just me that plays. I appreciate the information because I really had no idea what was available out there.

It's so cheap here to play that I'm really concerned that the costs might be too prohibitive for me.
[/quote]

Where are you coming from? Daily rates for walking can be as low as $25 for 18 walking through some sort of deal/twilight to $100 plus. Only a handful of courses charge that much. Most will be around $50 with a cart.

We are just a couple hundred miles northeast of Denver. Usually there several times a year. Like the idea of being back in the city.

But it's so affordable to play here. I pay $150 per month plus 40 F & B minimum (but I figure I'm going to eat anyway) for our private, and $525 a year for a membership to our public course. Just hope that if/when we do end up there, I can still afford to play a couple times a week.

Currently looking at Club Corp's DUAL One membership, which includes Black Bear and Blackstone. They are currently offering 50% initiation fees. The DUAL one includes greens fees at both courses, 50% off of food at both and you only pay a cart fee (if you ride).

Bonus is that Black Bear is 3 minutes from my house.

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

Jealous of you guys who can afford a 3K plus annual membership. There are definitely a few great options around town if you can afford it. I was close to pulling the trigger on Highlands Ranch since I would get the DU alum discount - if only that course was more walkable. Wouldn't be worth it having to pay for a cart every time on top of the membership dues.

I played in the Men's Club last season at The Meadows on the West side of town. It's a decent public course. It fits my budget of costing practically nothing to be in the Men's Club.

Is anyone a member of a relatively low cost Men's Club or independent league around town? I'm looking to switch it up this year. I struggle to find good golf buddies due to busy schedules... everyone I know including me has little kids. But I would love to find a good normal group.

[quote name='forecast6236' timestamp='1422155210' post='10812647']
Is anyone a member of a relatively low cost Men's Club or independent league around town? I'm looking to switch it up this year. I struggle to find good golf buddies due to busy schedules... everyone I know including me has little kids. But I would love to find a good normal group.
[/quote]

I like my golf league because we play different golf courses, and it's cheaper than the other two "major" traveling golf leagues. Another nice thing is that we're normally only 4-5 groups per tournament, so even if you're in the first group, you're only waiting about an hour to get your winnings*. You and I PM'd each other a few months ago. I will keep you updated.

* - If you can't stay, then it will be saved for you until next time.

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1422293437' post='10821071']
[/quote]

I like my golf league because we play different golf courses, and it's cheaper than the other two "major" traveling golf leagues. Another nice thing is that we're normally only 4-5 groups per tournament, so even if you're in the first group, you're only waiting about an hour to get your winnings*. You and I PM'd each other a few months ago. I will keep you updated.

[/quote]

That's right we did chat. Yes keep me updated on the plans for the league this summer.

[quote name='forecast6236' timestamp='1422298258' post='10821599']
[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1422293437' post='10821071']
[/quote]

[/quote]

That's right we did chat. Yes keep me updated on the plans for the league this summer.
[/quote]

Would possibly be interested in seeing the schedule

[quote name='irvtrain' timestamp='1422420178' post='10832815']
Would possibly be interested in seeing the schedule
[/quote]

[quote name='forecast6236' timestamp='1422420570' post='10832839']
pseudo correct me if I'm wrong but is the site frgclub.com? Irv you can check that out.
[/quote]

Correct. The 2015 schedule should be out by late February/early March.

My work backs up to Meridian GC, and the number of people out there on a Tuesday was staggering. I was very jealous. :(

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1420751905' post='10710953']
My strategy this year is my golf league and a range membership to Meridian.
[/quote]

Wow. Stopped by Meridian today. They have jacked up their range membership to [b]$850[/b]/yr. with no additional benefits. :( According to the pro shop employee, they are closing the tee boxes at the opposite end of the range (where range members hit). That means range members will share the same tee boxes as regular members. So the raising of the fee is to limit (by price) the number of range members the club will have.

Last year, it was $550. I still would've been in at $650, but $850 makes my eyes water.

[quote name='Jamboy72' timestamp='1422546238' post='10841087']I'd have to hit thousands of balls to get $550 worth out of the deal...At my course, they don't have range memberships, but there are discounts for bulk purchases...like if you buy $150 worth of rangeballs they load the key with $200 -[/quote]

Where at?

Lone Tree & South Suburban have a range card special of buying $175 worth and get an additional $75 free. I will most likely buy a Lone Tree range card.

Family Sports has a range card special of buy $90 worth and get an additional $65 free. (Aside: I have a Family Sports range card with just over $100 left that I'd be willing to sell at a nice discount. PM me for details.)

The perk of an "unlimited" range membership is the fact that you may only have time to hit 30 balls one day, and 300 balls another day. There's nothing worse (to me) than buying a large bucket, then having to leave a small pile since you've run out of time.