2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Course recommendations near The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually did a golf package through Marriott some years ago with a few friends. Got a apartment type accommodation and a golf package with it. It was 4 rounds for $200-250. All 4 of the courses we played were pretty good. We went in May or June, I believe.

I think we ended up playing Shipyard, Port Royal, Oyster Reef, and Palmetto Hall. I don't remember much about the layouts of each, but I don't remember any being in poor condition or having a crap layout. Each course had plenty of natural surroundings with some holes along marshy waterways - typical for that area. All were well kept when we played. Those 4 courses are probably on the lower end, budget wise, for courses on the island.

We also found a putt putt place on the island and a nice bar (which was actually 2 separate bars with a firepit area that kind of attached them). Great area though if you love golf. The beach was really nice too, nice and flat. This coming from a guy who lives 20 minutes from the ocean in Florida ;)

Hey Frank. I live here in Bluffton. It's the town right next door to Hilton Head. If you want to play for half or a third of the price of the courses in Hilton Head, try these out in Bluffton...
Crescent Pointe:it's a challenging course.
Island West:great shape
Hilton Head Lakes:it's a little closer to 95 but in great shape and 30-35$
Eagle's Pointe:tough and in great shape
Pinecrest:great shape. Play it from the back tees and it's tough
Go to golfnow.com and look up specials. They always have some deals on there.
Too bad it's going to be cold tomorrow. It's just bad timing because it just never gets that cold here.
If it's not raining, I'd love to shoot a round with you guys Saturday or Sunday! Let me know if you have any questions

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be there from the March 28 until April 5 and I'll be playing the Port Royal courses pretty much every day (staying at Westin). I was hoping to play Golf Links too - what day are they closing?

I'll be a single most days so fire me a PM if you want to swing by for a game!

Titleist TSi3 9* - Tensei Blue 60 TX
Titleist TS2 15* - D+ LTD 70X
Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei White 80X

Srixon Z785 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
SM7 50F, 54S, SM8 58M
Spider Tour

Was there in the fall, twice. Old South was in great shape and is a solid course just off the island. I would def. put it high on the list to play. I also played Crescent Pointe. I like the layout a lot, it's certainly challenging, but the condition left some to be desired and it's a little bit further off the island. However, for $55 or whatever I paid to play, it felt like a very good deal (many of the nicer off the island courses are $70+). One day while on this trip we made the hike to Kiawah and played The Ocean Course. It was fantastic and for the same amount of money, just more time because of the drive, I would certainly play that over Harbor Town. HT is very overrated IMO. Beyond a few holes it really isn't special.

The second trip to HHI I only played one round and it was at the RTJ course at Palmetto. I thought it was just OK. For $120 or whatever it was, I didn't think it was worth it. The course was in good shape for being mid November, but I wasn't impressed with the layout. Especially for the cost. Not factoring cost, I would play Old South before RTJ. Considering Old South was $40 less, it's a no brainer to me.

I haven't played other courses in HHI in a number of years, but, I remember always liking Hilton Head National and Eagle's Pointe.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Agreed on CP. There are always a few holes that just don't drain well and are predominantly soggy. Left dogleg to an elevated tee seems to come to mind. I haven't played it in a few years.

SilverBullets, If when you go back, try Oyster Reef and Pinecrest. They're interesting layouts too (Oyster has quite a few doglegs, a turnoff for some). Then there's the Golf Club at Hilton Head Lakes. I did this because of a deal on GolfNow. Looks like one of them "If you build it they will come" courses that hasn't fully taken off yet (home sub division). You can play it cheap and it's quite open, so not THAT much of a challenge.

One more I usually recommend to everyone is the Legends at Parris Island. Always in great condition, and cheap. Just call ahead to make tee time, don't pay any attention to GolfNow (they're on there but their internal system is not hooked up to it). I showed up one day because according to GN it was WIDE open all day during the week, only to arrive and find out they have a tourney going off all day (That's when I decided to play GC at HH Lakes).

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

I go to the Westin Resort every year and this year i played Old South and Hilton Head National. Loved both of them. Old South was a little different with a few holes out in the marsh... I booked them on Golf Now the day before for under 40$. The courses in Port Royal by the Westin are just ok. both of these courses are a 15 minute drive if that.

I live in Hilton Head and will give you a third on Parris Island. Great track and almost always in good condition.
As far as public courses are concerned, here is my assessment: Oyster Reef and Country Club of Hilton Head are both in Hilton Head Plantation and are very nice. The courses in Shipyard and Port Royal Plantations haven't been in good condition lately so I would steer clear from them. The 2 courses in Palmetto Hall are nice and the 3 courses in Palmetto Dunes are usually well kept but their prices have gotten up there. The Golden Bear in Indigo Run Plantation has a nice layout, usually in good shape, and is usually pretty inexpensive. All 3 courses in Sea Pines are almost always in great shape and fun to play. Off Island I would go to Old South (although the greens have been a little slow the past couple summers for some reason) and Hilton Head National. Both courses are usually in great condition. Also, the Crescent, Pinecrest, and Eagles Point are fun to play and have really improved their conditioning over the past few years and the prices are terrific. If you make it over to Savannah, Savannah Harbor is a must play. It's right under the extension bridge going over to GA and plays right along the river. The Senior Tour plays there the week after the RBC heritage in Hilton Head.
Go to one of the golf stores when you get here and grab a coupon book for the areas courses. Usually save a few bucks that way.

If anyone traveling to the area is looking for someone to play with, send me a message here. If I can work it on my schedule I'd love to join you. I've played every course here, both public and private, and can let you know what the conditions are before you get here.
Plenty of bars here to fellas, so have fun while you're here!

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1421854552' post='10790323']
The second trip to HHI I only played one round and it was at the RTJ course at Palmetto. I thought it was just OK. For $120 or whatever it was, I didn't think it was worth it. The course was in good shape for being mid November, but I wasn't impressed with the layout. Especially for the cost. Not factoring cost, I would play Old South before RTJ. Considering Old South was $40 less, it's a no brainer to me.
[/quote]

It's $120 for RTJ? Now that is shocking! I played it for free a few years back and didn't think it was anything special. Figured it was a $40-60 daily fee at the most. Yikes.

[quote name='prorobo' timestamp='1422225597' post='10816765']
[/quote]

It's $120 for RTJ? Now that is shocking! I played it for free a few years back and didn't think it was anything special. Figured it was a $40-60 daily fee at the most. Yikes.
[/quote]

The courses in Palmetto Dunes have gotten pretty pricey over the past few years. I pay a much lower "local rate" on all the courses so not positive on pricing but I know the RTJ "Ocean" Course is over $100 bucks for visitors and the Fazio and the Hills courses are a little less. They aren't bad courses at all and they have gotten pretty good on keeping them in good condition throughout the year (except when they punch the greens of course). They may give vacationers who stay in Palmetto Dunes a little break on price, but not positive on that anymore. They've gotten pretty full of themselves in there. In fact, us locals hardly play in there anymore. Too many great tracks around here that locals can play for 25.00-45.00 all year.

[quote name='prorobo' timestamp='1422225597' post='10816765']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I believe it was fully renovated in the past few years so it may be different from when you played it. The layout was OK at best. Not worth the cost for sure.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

[quote name='pdakc' timestamp='1422378205' post='10828187']
I was a big fan of Old South and Hilton Head National, but when we played Island West it was in atrocious condition (June 2013, FWIW). I agree with the assessment of the Sea Pines courses - fun to play but can get tiresome, especially if you're wild off the tee.
[/quote]

Yeah, Island West was never in very good condition for many years. However, they were recently bought by Brown Golf Management and they really sunk some money into it last year. It's in MUCH better condition now, but there are still plenty of other places I'd rather play. Brown Golf also manages Eagles Point, the Crescent, and Pinecrest, all of which are more fun and usually in better condition than Island West. Brown Golf just purchased Rose Hill a couple months ago but they haven't had the chance to fix it up yet. Decent layout but if people are traveling here to play golf I would give Rose Hill another year or 2 (of Brown Golf sinking some $$$ into it) before paying to play there.