ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Comments

• golfguy1985golfguy1985 Advanced Members Posts: 129
    My name is Todd. I have been a blade addict for almost 20 years. Although I have really no business in gaming them, I do. Because of the feel, sound and overall feelings that come from having a set of blades in your bag for all to see and think "he's a solid golfer, or he is an idiot!"

My first set was the 99-00 Hogan Apex's. I loved the feedback and feel. Overall I loved their luster and how they looked. I hit my share of stingers (non intentional) but they would still be in my possession today had they not been stolen out of my vehicle while working in the summer. Im still bitter and I still remember crying my eyes out!!!!!

Blades I have gamed and enjoyed:

Cleveland CG1

Nike VR TW

Titleist 680

Bridgestone J36

More recently I have been gaming the Nike VPC. I am awaiting my Hogan Ft Worth Blacks and hoping to rekindle some of my prime golfing days magic.
    Aeroburner TP tour issue - 9* UST V2 6x
    Aeroburner TP - 16.5* UST V2 7x
    M2 Tour 3i - UST PF 9x
    Nike Pro Combo 4-P PX LZ 6.5
    SM6 52/58 - PX LZ 6.5
    Golo 3 w/fluted satin bullseye shaft
    Snell MTB Red
  • kleydejongkleydejong Advanced Members Posts: 118 ✭✭
    I think it is time I join the club and share my blades story. I played a lot of golf back in high school and in college. Then I went through a few years (we'll call them the dark years) where I just wasn't playing much. I was studying for a professional degree, got married, started having kids. Didn't really have the time or money for it. Now my life has stabilized a bit and this past summer I caught the itch hard again.

With that came a renewed interest in clubs. I always loved clubs and would comb through the Edwin Watts magazine each month - drooling over irons in particular. When I was on the golf team as a freshman in high school I'd volunteer to wash clubs for the seniors just to spend some time with their sets. My Tommy Armor 845's were solid performers, but didn't compete with their clubs. One senior had a set of Nike's that I absolutely adored. This was back in about 2003, so Tiger mania was in full swing. One of my main goals was to reach a point where I felt like I could reasonably game a set of blades. Mizuno's in particular. I moved up to a set of Titleist 804.cb's but never quite got to purchasing a set of blades.

So this past summer I started to browse eBay a bit. I had retired the 804's for a set of Ping G25's. A sensible choice for when I wasn't playing so much. But they just didn't get me excited to look down on that thick top line with plenty of offset. To my surprise it appears that all the irons I used to drool over are now in the bargain bin on eBay.

I sold the Pings and jumped on a set of Mizuno MP57's for $70 shipped to my door. That forged feel and look were much more thrilling. They were rather forgiving as well. I ended up shooting my best 9 hole scores towards the end of the fall with those 57's.

Feel invigorated I took my first step down the rabbit hole. I grabbed a set of Mizuno MP-14's off eBay. The auction didn't have a real picture of the set, but they were $75 shipped to my door. I didn't really know much about them, other than that they were some of the cheapest sets of blades I could find on eBay at the time. I read some rumors that Tiger played a combo set of MP-14's and MP-29's at the Masters in '97, so that really sealed the deal.

I didn't know what to expect when I opened the box.

46215763854_8b44c5ae04_o.jpg

46215764694_df02380c68_o.jpg

Some browning on the 5 and 6 iron faces. But other than that in pretty clean condition! The shaping of the heads was breathtaking. Definitely classic, but not 'old' looking IMO. The font of the numbers was a little off putting at first, but has since really grown on me. The sleek muscle with the angle towards the toe is nearly perfection to my eye as well.

I took them to my work shop and attempted some restoration. A bath in two cans of coca cola and a thorough cleaning later and I was very happy with the results.

46215761774_a2a727d6e2_o.jpg

I used some Boeshield T-9 on the faces to try and keep the rust away. I have long used this product on a cast iron table saw top to prevent rusting, and so far would indicate it has worked very nicely. No return of rust on the 5 and 6 iron faces.

46940294691_b09caef8d6_o.jpg

The grips were some old Lamkin cord grips. With some cleaning of soapy water, towel dry, and some gentle sand paper they actually have really come back to life and I very much enjoy their feel. One remaining mystery is the shaft. The shafts are solid steel, no stepping or marking of any kind. I did find this under the grip. Looks like a mexican flag with 6.5 and the 3-I.

Anyone have any information on these shafts? Is 6.5 a Rifle designation?

46940294111_dd138171c5_o.jpg

I played these irons some. I found the most success mixing the MP57's 5-7 iron with the MP14 8-PW. A 50* PW is quite a revelation. I really enjoyed playing the MP14 lower irons and didn't really feel like I had difficulty. The distance control and ability to really get through the turf was very pleasant.

46888105252_06cfa095ba_o.jpg

Overall I feel like I made a great choice with the MP-14's! Only problem is that it seems to have ignited a bit of an obsession. Instead of satisfying that old craving to try a set of blades, I seem to be spending MORE time on eBay.

I just jumped on a set of Wilson Staff Fluid Feel blades for $32 shipped to my door. Another sight unseen risk, but they were listed as 'very good condition'. I opened the box this morning and WOW. These guys are looking great! Even better condition than the MP-14's. The chrome is quite shiny. The faces look great. The shafts are True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 and appear to be in excellent condition. The grips are old, smooth, and I will be replacing.

Anyone know what era these might be from? Late 80's / early 90's?

46888438612_fa3e78061d_o.jpg

46216061774_f81154cd0a_o.jpg

I was looking for something a bit older and classic in terms of aesthetic. But not too old that I couldn't really ever play them. I like the more squareish shape and traditional blade look overall. One thing that I'm surprised at is how much I love the old ferrules. Black - gold - red - gold - black is very classy. I'm very excited to try them out and see how they perform compared to the MP-14's.

Now I know I've dove down the rabbit hole as I've started making a list. Mizuno MP-32, Nike original Forged Blades, and I want to grab a super cheap set with some browning to send to a plate shop to strip the chrome and leave em raw or maybe torched. What have I gotten myself into!?!?!?

This is probably the first time in my life where I am understanding the mindset of a collector and the power of nostalgia. It taps into what it felt like to be 16 and to have such a pure love for the game of golf.
    Taylormade M3
    Titleist 913F 15*
    Adams Pro 18* / 24*
    Maltby DBM 5-PW
    Maltby M-Series + 50* / 54*
    Mizuno S18 60*Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil-Spec Newport
  • Nard_SNard_S Advanced Members Posts: 3,013 ✭✭
    Nice finds! The Fluid Feels for $32.......wow.

Brunswick Rifle 6.5's is a nice shaft. Find the stiffer/heavier variety of Rifle's to be choice. Enjoy.
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Meet Séamus, Squirrel Control Officer Advanced Members Posts: 6,103 ✭✭
    kleydejong wrote:

I think it is time I join the club and share my blades story. I played a lot of golf back in high school and in college. Then I went through a few years (we'll call them the dark years) where I just wasn't playing much. I was studying for a professional degree, got married, started having kids. Didn't really have the time or money for it. Now my life has stabilized a bit and this past summer I caught the itch hard again.

With that came a renewed interest in clubs. I always loved clubs and would comb through the Edwin Watts magazine each month - drooling over irons in particular. When I was on the golf team as a freshman in high school I'd volunteer to wash clubs for the seniors just to spend some time with their sets. My Tommy Armor 845's were solid performers, but didn't compete with their clubs. One senior had a set of Nike's that I absolutely adored. This was back in about 2003, so Tiger mania was in full swing. One of my main goals was to reach a point where I felt like I could reasonably game a set of blades. Mizuno's in particular. I moved up to a set of Titleist 804.cb's but never quite got to purchasing a set of blades.

So this past summer I started to browse eBay a bit. I had retired the 804's for a set of Ping G25's. A sensible choice for when I wasn't playing so much. But they just didn't get me excited to look down on that thick top line with plenty of offset. To my surprise it appears that all the irons I used to drool over are now in the bargain bin on eBay.

I sold the Pings and jumped on a set of Mizuno MP57's for $70 shipped to my door. That forged feel and look were much more thrilling. They were rather forgiving as well. I ended up shooting my best 9 hole scores towards the end of the fall with those 57's.

Feel invigorated I took my first step down the rabbit hole. I grabbed a set of Mizuno MP-14's off eBay. The auction didn't have a real picture of the set, but they were $75 shipped to my door. I didn't really know much about them, other than that they were some of the cheapest sets of blades I could find on eBay at the time. I read some rumors that Tiger played a combo set of MP-14's and MP-29's at the Masters in '97, so that really sealed the deal.

I didn't know what to expect when I opened the box.

46215763854_8b44c5ae04_o.jpg

46215764694_df02380c68_o.jpg

Some browning on the 5 and 6 iron faces. But other than that in pretty clean condition! The shaping of the heads was breathtaking. Definitely classic, but not 'old' looking IMO. The font of the numbers was a little off putting at first, but has since really grown on me. The sleek muscle with the angle towards the toe is nearly perfection to my eye as well.

I took them to my work shop and attempted some restoration. A bath in two cans of coca cola and a thorough cleaning later and I was very happy with the results.

46215761774_a2a727d6e2_o.jpg

I used some Boeshield T-9 on the faces to try and keep the rust away. I have long used this product on a cast iron table saw top to prevent rusting, and so far would indicate it has worked very nicely. No return of rust on the 5 and 6 iron faces.

46940294691_b09caef8d6_o.jpg

The grips were some old Lamkin cord grips. With some cleaning of soapy water, towel dry, and some gentle sand paper they actually have really come back to life and I very much enjoy their feel. One remaining mystery is the shaft. The shafts are solid steel, no stepping or marking of any kind. I did find this under the grip. Looks like a mexican flag with 6.5 and the 3-I.

Anyone have any information on these shafts? Is 6.5 a Rifle designation?

46940294111_dd138171c5_o.jpg

I played these irons some. I found the most success mixing the MP57's 5-7 iron with the MP14 8-PW. A 50* PW is quite a revelation. I really enjoyed playing the MP14 lower irons and didn't really feel like I had difficulty. The distance control and ability to really get through the turf was very pleasant.

46888105252_06cfa095ba_o.jpg

Overall I feel like I made a great choice with the MP-14's! Only problem is that it seems to have ignited a bit of an obsession. Instead of satisfying that old craving to try a set of blades, I seem to be spending MORE time on eBay.

I just jumped on a set of Wilson Staff Fluid Feel blades for $32 shipped to my door. Another sight unseen risk, but they were listed as 'very good condition'. I opened the box this morning and WOW. These guys are looking great! Even better condition than the MP-14's. The chrome is quite shiny. The faces look great. The shafts are True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 and appear to be in excellent condition. The grips are old, smooth, and I will be replacing.

Anyone know what era these might be from? Late 80's / early 90's?

46888438612_fa3e78061d_o.jpg

46216061774_f81154cd0a_o.jpg

I was looking for something a bit older and classic in terms of aesthetic. But not too old that I couldn't really ever play them. I like the more squareish shape and traditional blade look overall. One thing that I'm surprised at is how much I love the old ferrules. Black - gold - red - gold - black is very classy. I'm very excited to try them out and see how they perform compared to the MP-14's.

Now I know I've dove down the rabbit hole as I've started making a list. Mizuno MP-32, Nike original Forged Blades, and I want to grab a super cheap set with some browning to send to a plate shop to strip the chrome and leave em raw or maybe torched. What have I gotten myself into!?!?!?

This is probably the first time in my life where I am understanding the mindset of a collector and the power of nostalgia. It taps into what it felt like to be 16 and to have such a pure love for the game of golf.

Welcome to Club Blade. image/pimp.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':pimp:' />

The 6.5 on the label is a Rifle flex designation. 6.5 is somewhere between stiff and extra stiff.

Your Fluid Feel blades are the 1989-1990 model (side note: in 91 the FG51s were introduced).

Quite the excellent first couple sets, MP14s and Fluid Feels. <salute> Having started similarly about 18 years ago, I can testify to the greased slope to a black hole that you may be in danger of falling down/into. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
    3w: Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
    1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS
    Putter: Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
    (Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
    Shoes by True Linkswear
  • Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Advanced Members Posts: 3,781 ✭✭
    Nice. Keeping it real with that Maltby 54°. Love their wedges
    Wyoming Cowboys
  • NixLix26NixLix26 Advanced Members Posts: 334 ✭✭
    @kleydejong awesome job on the MP14 face cleaning. And thanks for the tip of Boeshield T9. Your on the right path. You can find so many blades from 10 years ago in great shape for little money.

MP32. I love mine and have had three sets.

Cheers goodluck. Keep posting your finds
    CURRENT BAG SETUP

TITLEIST - 905R with NEW MAMIYA PROFORCE V2
    TITLEIST - 906 F 13*
    NICKENT - 6DT 21*
    BRIDGESTONE - J33CB 4iron
    MIZUNO - MP32 5-PW
    CLEVELAND - 588 GUNMETAL - 53*, 60*

SCOTTY - Bullseye

https://www.instagram.com/nixlix26/
  • No Catchy NicknameNo Catchy Nickname Advanced Members Posts: 4,969 ✭✭
    So I took my set of Hogan '72 Apexes to the range today for the first time. I've heard these aren't the easiest irons to hit, and I wouldn't disagree. However, although the sweet spot seems to by tiny, I didn't notice much of a distance loss with slight mishits. Or, to put it another way, the ball was flying normally even if the shot wasn't quite pured. The thing I liked about these irons is that they are very responsive and accurate.

They have a bit of a reverse muscle, in that the upper part has a bigger muscle pad than the bottom half of the club.

Anyway, I bent them all more upright (up to 4* depending on the club) to match my specs, and tweaked the lofts a little, as there were some odd gaps (only 2* between the 7i and 8i). I went off a 50* PW, going down in 4* lofts until the 3i, which I made a degree weak at 23*. After getting the lies right, I did find them quite a bit easier to hit.

Nice clubs, and I am looking forward to playing them. If we get some warmish weather this month, I am taking them out for a persimmon and blades round.
    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Driving Iron: Tourstage Airmuscle with DGS200 (for occasional use only)
    Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP18 PX6.0 @ + 1/2" or something a bit older....MP-4s, Mac Muirfield 20ths, Mac Muirfields, Mizuno MS-11s, MS-1s, RAM Tour Grinds, Tourstage 2005 CBs, Honma PP737s, Mac R-58s, Dunlop Maxfli TM-92 Australian Blades, Wilson FG-J8s (FG-17s)...uh, I've missed a few
    Wedges: Callaway MD2 50* S and 54* S-grind or whatever else I fancy for the day
    In the 60* slot: Usually a Titlesit Vokey 260 60*
    Putter: Testing some old Mizuno 8802 clone
  • SylvesterLundgrenSylvesterLundgren Members Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited February 3
    image/stink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':stink:' />

i dont know if this is hype enough for you fellers
    WITB

Nike VR tour driver (420 cc) regular flex
    Cleveland DST launcher 3w stiff
    Nike VR Covert 5w stiff
    Nike VR Pro combo irons (2014) 3-Pw stiff
    Cleveland 588 forged 54-60 (BP and Chrome)
    Nike 006 w Pure grip
    Is that a Kool Cat fairway wood lurking in the background? I've got a Corker driver, which is filled with cork just like the Kool Cats were. If I nut it, the ball goes a mile. I'd really like to go on a launch monitor with it.
    Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP18 PX6.0 @ + 1/2" or something a bit older....MP-4s, Mac Muirfield 20ths, Mac Muirfields, Mizuno MS-11s, MS-1s, RAM Tour Grinds, Tourstage 2005 CBs, Honma PP737s, Mac R-58s, Dunlop Maxfli TM-92 Australian Blades, Wilson FG-J8s (FG-17s)...uh, I've missed a few
  • SylvesterLundgrenSylvesterLundgren Members Posts: 24 ✭✭

Is that a Kool Cat fairway wood lurking in the background? I've got a Corker driver, which is filled with cork just like the Kool Cats were. If I nut it, the ball goes a mile. I'd really like to go on a launch monitor with it.

Yep it’s the 3 wood my godfather gave me when I first got into playing golf. It’s got a graphite shaft in it. I haven’t gave it a thwack since early high school days

WITB

Nike VR tour driver (420 cc) regular flex
    Cleveland DST launcher 3w stiff
    Nike VR Covert 5w stiff
    Nike VR Pro combo irons (2014) 3-Pw stiff
    Cleveland 588 forged 54-60 (BP and Chrome)
    Nike 006 w Pure grip
  • Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Advanced Members Posts: 3,781 ✭✭
    I'm not much of a Titleist guy, but I did run across this 2-P set. Thought they were a great looking set and would only seem natural to post them here. I do not own this set, merely just ran across it in search of a 3 wood.

Wyoming Cowboys
    Kingcat990 wrote:

I'm not much of a Titleist guy, but I did run across this 2-P set. Thought they were a great looking set and would only seem natural to post them here. I do not own this set, merely just ran across it in search of a 3 wood.

I don't know how you managed to come across that in your search for a 3-wood, but wow! I can guess where you found those...

They look really clean, but no pictures of the faces is a bit alarming.

Pretty healthy starting price as well image/fie.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':fie:' />

Kingcat990 wrote:

I don't know how you managed to come across that in your search for a 3-wood, but wow! I can guess where you found those...

Pretty healthy starting price as well image/fie.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':fie:' />

LOL! Was looking for a PRGR 3 wood, but I also look through the blade ads (obviously). These popped up on the bottom of the page. The blade design caught my eyes before the price. I don't understand why it says "T" and doesnt say 681. The ad says they're 681's but the irons themselves don't state it. Are these those Miura forged Titleist irons that everyone went crazy for? You're right, they didn't show the faces.
    Wyoming Cowboys
    Kingcat990 wrote:

Kingcat990 wrote:

LOL! Was looking for a PRGR 3 wood, but I also look through the blade ads (obviously). These popped up on the bottom of the page. The blade design caught my eyes before the price. I don't understand why it says "T" and doesnt say 681. The ad says they're 681's but the irons themselves don't state it. Are these those Miura forged Titleist irons that everyone went crazy for? You're right, they didn't show the faces.

I don't know enough about Titleists to answer that one, but I also wondered why there was no 681 stamping. I thought they had both the "681" and "T" stamped into them.

There's another listing for the T-stamp irons, and they also don't have the 681 stamping. Were there three versions released: "T" stamped, "681T" stamped and "681" stamped irons?
    Kingcat990 wrote:

Kingcat990 wrote:

They're probably not Miura T's, those should have red paint in the "T" and COA. Pricing is astronomical for Miura T's and extremely rare to show up. 681's and T's are slightly different in profile, "T" was closer or exact to Tiger's grind. Higher muscle. T's are more valuable in market, like 50% to 100% more. 681T and T are the same thing, Titleist did sell the same club with different stamps. Those clubs pictured are super sweet, I would love to have them.
    A few weeks ago I bought some Mizuno ANGC model irons (probably from 1987) and posted pictures here. Anyway, I decided to get them reshafted because the originals were pretty rusty and very soft, so I got them done with DGS400 as an experiment. Their swing weight is D2, but their deadweight is pretty heavy, so they quite something to heft.

Anyway, I took them to the range this evening to try out alongside my '72 Apexes. I adjusted their lies and lofts (lofts were weirdly strong) and gave them a pretty good workout. Verdict so far: not bad, especially in the long and medium irons, but I found the Apexes easier to control. The Mizunos feel fantastic, but I think I need to dabble with the lofts and lies a little more.
  • cav5cav5 Advanced Members Posts: 320 ✭✭
    Really loving my "new" MP69s. They the offset hosel transition is perfect for my eye. Much more pleasing than the baby blades for me.
    M5 9.0 Tensei Pro White 70TX
    M5 17.5 KK XTS 80

MP69 PX 6.5
    GLIDE2.0 46,50,54,60* PX 6.0
    NC Portofino
    TP5
    cav5 wrote:

Really loving my "new" MP69s. They the offset hosel transition is perfect for my eye. Much more pleasing than the baby blades for me.

I was never really taken with the 69s, but the other day I saw a set (5i - PW) in the local second hand shop and picked up the 5i to have a look. Perhaps my tastes have changed, but they set up very nicely, and have a pleasant beefy look to them. I might have to give them a hit. Not that I need anymore iron sets.
  • rusty380rusty380 Members Posts: 68
    Is anybody treating themselves to the Limited Release 680MB's?
    I learned something today; Miura forged FoundersClub in the past. Now that, is cool
    Wyoming Cowboys
    Kingcat990 wrote:

I learned something today; Miura forged FoundersClub in the past. Now that, is cool
    \

Yeah, I know at least one of them are. There's few that Miura did floating about. Macgregor had forged CB, Maruman's of the 90's, TM 300's from early 2K along with Founder's. It would great to get a complete list.
    My wife got me Sunday tickets for the 2019 PGA Championship @ Bethpage. Really stoked, first Pro tournament, never mind a major. Going to follow the big cat, going to watch pros warm up, make it long day with plenty of hydration. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

In OT news, just got my 'new' Mac "cheese grater" tower up & running. Beautiful beast replaces my 2007 iMac which was torture to use. **** gets faster but bloatware coding and fanless enclosures destroys it all. Tower is near as fast and powerful as anything offered these days and at a third of the cost. It's an MB of tech, the case is a gem of engineering design. Finding connections to the new Dell monitor was ridiculous though, visited 6 stores including Apple. Hail Mary was Staples and I scored. Cheers.
  • bushy007bushy007 Advanced Members Posts: 723
    These arrived yesterday, 2-P. All I can say is wow!!!

e1b5d9b010b0bd4edd76f9aaaa2a68a0.jpg
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Taylormade M2 2016 9*[/font]

[font="comic sans ms, cursive"]Taylormade M2 2016 15*[/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive]Adams DHy Proto 21*[/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive]Mizuno MMC FliHi 4i[/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive]Mizuno MMC 5-P[/font]

[font="comic sans ms, cursive"]Callaway MackDaddy 4 Milled 54|58[/font]

[font=comic sans ms, cursive]Custom Scotty Cameron California Coronado Milled Face[/font]

[font="comic sans ms, cursive"]Snell MTB/MTB Black[/font]
  • DinosaurDinosaur Advanced Members Posts: 1,973 ✭✭
    edited February 14
    I am not sure if this relevant or not. I guess I am a MB "wannabe" that was at one time a "ustabe". I recently acquired a Titleist 695MB mostly because of the clean looks and something to fool around with to see if I could still hit one. Some of us older guys, tend to forget that when we started out, that's all there were. Dunlop, Spalding. Ram et al. As the years passed, I gradually got caught up in the new trends, but usually, after a long hiatus from playing at all. I am talking decades here.

Anyway, I am finding the MB challenging, but getting better day by day. Perhaps I can channel something from my deep subconscious and get those old feelings back. Or not....no matter...its fun trying.
    "Non rinunciare mai quello
    che desideri...."
    Go with what you know!
  • deejaiddeejaid Advanced Members Posts: 433 ✭✭
    I usually share over in the “classics” section but I think modern blade lovers will dig these.

1957 Hogan Precisions

bf8376121d308c3ffac6dffdf9cd034a.jpg

1958/59 Hogan Sabers

8fe6edb809d32afd814809a66f1659a0.jpg

1960 Hogan Power Thrust

628658d22841e39482e79d339e099842.jpg
    WITB
    Stan Thompson 1-4 woods 
    KZG Forged Cavity Back 4-GW
    Ben Hogan Special Sand Iron 
    Ping CU5 putter 
    Those are just awesome
    Wyoming Cowboys
    Shwing!
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Advanced Members Posts: 24,232 ✭✭
    edited February 15
    Kingcat990 wrote:

Kingcat990 wrote:

Those are the “ Tiger” model copies. Not Muira forged. Either Hoffman forged or another place who’s name escapes me. Not exactly like tigers irons either. But pretty close. The Miura T versions have a build number beside the T like 126/500 or something like that. And they are a different shape. How much $ did they want ?

Sorry nard . I see you’ve already said the same. I think we both geek out when we see a set of these. Lol

I’ll add that there’s also another 681 version the “ custom grind “. Will be stamped “681 custom grind” , and there’s at least 5-6 different muscle and toe shapes for these. Then there’s the blank tour issue versions like mine. The have nothing stamped where the 681 or T is. Notice the T versions have no rings on the hosel. The custom grind and regular 681 versions have rings. The T and the blank tour sets don’t.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design AD DI 8X
    Ping i500 pre-production proto 3 iron Graphite Design AD DI 105X
    Ping i500 4-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged 50 54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
    Thanks for the insight BH. I'm blind in regards to Titleist. They are very awesome.

I think the Auction price started at $1300US. Somewhere in that ballpark. Or maybe it was a Buy Now type of sale.
    Wyoming Cowboys
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Advanced Members Posts: 24,232 ✭✭
    edited February 15
    That sounds about normal. $1k is getting to look like a steal on a mint 2-pw set. I’ve seen several in the plastic advertised for $1500 or more.

TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design AD DI 8X
    Ping i500 pre-production proto 3 iron Graphite Design AD DI 105X
    Ping i500 4-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged 50 54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • A.G. Pennypacker A.G. Pennypacker Advanced Members Posts: 470 ✭✭
    Anyone's thoughts on Titleist Z-M blades?

Certainly not a traditional look, but some came up for sale locally recently at a decent price and I was thinking of grabbing them for a backup set (or watching ebay for a cheap set, some oxide ones went for <200 not long ago).
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Meet Séamus, Squirrel Control Officer Advanced Members Posts: 6,103 ✭✭

image/diablo.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':diablo:' />

qlgqx.jpg
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
    3w: Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
    1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS
    Putter: Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
    (Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
    Shoes by True Linkswear
    Kingcat990 wrote:

Thanks for the insight BH. I'm blind in regards to Titleist. They are very awesome.

I think the Auction price started at $1300US. Somewhere in that ballpark. Or maybe it was a Buy Now type of sale.

For T's that's about right. NIB sets go for over $1800. Lightly used $900. A caveat about these clubs. Factory build has dowels, most all that happened to be re-shafted after do not. The dowels add a warmth to them and I highly value it. Buying a set used, I recommend they look to be OEM built and even have original grips.
  • PeanutsDaddyPeanutsDaddy Members Posts: 8,651 ✭✭
    Those Hogans are filthy. Rotten. Delectable.
    Cobra King F7 9*<br />Wishon 919FD 13* (1* open)<br />Wishon 950HC 18* (1* open)<br />Wishon 775hs 21*, 24*, 27<br />NCW 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*<br />Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)<br />Betti, Machine, Mannkrafted, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon
  • A.G. Pennypacker A.G. Pennypacker Advanced Members Posts: 470 ✭✭
    NRJyzr wrote:

image/diablo.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':diablo:' />

qlgqx.jpg

Haha easy, easy. My daily drivers are 3-P baby blades. Just intrigued by something cheap and different.
  • mahoniemahonie Advanced Members Posts: 2,366

Certainly not a traditional look, but some came up for sale locally recently at a decent price and I was thinking of grabbing them for a backup set (or watching ebay for a cheap set, some oxide ones went for <200 not long ago).

Iirc Rory played those early in his career.
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
    MD Golf Superstrong 3-wood UST Proforce 65 Stiff
    Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
    Mizuno MP4 4-PW DG S300
    Wilson Staff PMP wedges 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Radius Classic 8
  • Cubsfan24Cubsfan24 Fayetteville, ARClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 51 ClubWRX
    First two rounds of the season for me on Wednesday and then today. Shot 78-76 with my X-Proto's. These have been my gamers since mid last season because I'm wanting to reshaft my 690.MB's and Vega's with S400's like these have in them.
    Current WITB:<br /><br />TaylorMade M3 10.5* Driver - Zeus LT Tour Prototype<br />TEE EX9 15* 3w - Matrix Ozik White Tie<br />Callaway X-Prototype MB 3-PW - DG Tour Issue S400<br />Titleist Vokey SM6 Black 52, 56, 60 - KBS 125g Hi Rev 2.0<br />Odyssey PT82 w/ SuperStroke 3.0<br /><br />Other Sets in Rotation:<br /><br />Vega RAF-M 3-PW DG S300<br />Titleist 690.MB 3-PW DG S300
  • desailledesaille Advanced Members Posts: 1,631 ✭✭
    Miura baby blades are quite pure but for the past few months I’ve been playing the Callaway Apex MB Raw version and they are quite good.

The raw finish just hides that terrible hosel face transition that the chrome has.

I know I know, it’s the same club, but the chrome is just awful.
  • PopIt&DropItPopIt&DropIt Advanced Members Posts: 229 ✭✭
    Any of my blade using brethren interested in some new Wilson Staff FG Tour 100s before I throw them on BST? I've been doing everything in my power to try to unseat the baby blades from the bag but I'm finally giving up image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> Thus I have two sets for sale.

One is BNIP 3-PW heads and the others are 4-PW shafted with C Taper 120 S, standard L/L/L with the matching 3 iron head unshafted and still in the plastic. Also I took some paint out of the 4 and 7 on the shafted set to clean up all the busyness. If no interest then just enjoy some blade ****! Although admittedly even though these look beautiful to me, especially unpainted, they don't hold a candle to those Hogans a few posts up! Stunning!
  • amir169amir169 Shooting lower and lower! Advanced Members Posts: 103 ✭✭
    Current set - Nike VR TW with KBS Tour Stiff

IMG-20190220-220450.jpg

Moving on to - Taylormade 2012(?)MB

Got them cheap, clubface pristine.

Currently it has DG S200s in them, will be installing KBS C-Taper stiff to play a lower ballflight. I'm hitting the KBS Tours quite high.

IMG-20190220-220812.jpg
    Those TaylorMade MB's are awesome clubs.
    Wyoming Cowboys
  • JonesyJonesy Advanced Members Posts: 1,532 ✭✭
    Cubsfan24 wrote:

First two rounds of the season for me on Wednesday and then today. Shot 78-76 with my X-Proto's. These have been my gamers since mid last season because I'm wanting to reshaft my 690.MB's and Vega's with S400's like these have in them.

Still love my X Proto's! Been playing them for forever, I have absolutely no issues with them although my eye is constantly being caught by the new releases...
    Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5*
    Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18*
    Mizuno MP H-4 2 iron
    Callaway X Prototype 4 - PW
    Cleveland 50* Mizuno 54* 58* MP-T11
    Scotty Cameron Newport
  • Sfd732Sfd732 ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 96 ClubWRX
    edited February 21
    I just put this set of Scott SG-03 blacks together with some recoil proto 110 F4’s, Pure dtx and BB&F ferrules. I couldn’t be happier with how these play. I think I may finally be done experimenting with irons, atleast for a while.
    edited February 21
    Sfd732 wrote:

I just put this set of Scott SG-03 blacks together with some recoil proto 110 F4's, Pure dtx and BB&F ferrules. I couldn't be happier with how these play. I think I may finally be done experimenting with irons, atleast for a while.

Stunning. Those ferrules set off the head/shaft combination. Would love to see additional photos of the heads when the dry.

Also, really interested in your drying rack set-up. Would you be willing to share how you built the stand. I've never seen the clips before. Super cool idea.

PS - Are you building in a fire hall?
    Cobra King F7 9*<br />Wishon 919FD 13* (1* open)<br />Wishon 950HC 18* (1* open)<br />Wishon 775hs 21*, 24*, 27<br />NCW 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*<br />Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)<br />Betti, Machine, Mannkrafted, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Stunning. Those ferrules set off the head/shaft combination. Would love to see additional photos of the heads when the dry.

Also, really interested in your drying rack set-up. Would you be willing to share how you built the stand. I've never seen the clips before. Super cool idea.

PS - Are you building in a fire hall?

I will get some better pictures of the clubs up in a bit.

As for the drying rack. It is made up of mostly 1x3 lumber for the cross pieces and uprights and a 1x5ish piece for the piece the clubs sit on that is screwed to a couple wedges (wooden). The clips idea I found in another thread. They are actually pool cue holders. They come in 2 different sizes and work very well. I just got them off amazon along with the non skid rubber that I glued on so the heads would stay put.

I’m a firefighter in Syracuse NY. Work on Squad 1. We go to every fire and do vertical vent along with every shooting, stabbing, full arrest. We work out of a dually pick up with a set of electric cutters/spreaders and some saws. In the pick up we can get everywhere in the city fairly quick, so it helps to have more hands quick at high stress incidents.

Sfd,

Thank you for the additional image and detailed information. Will be a welcome addition to the garage/basement.

2 uncles are retired firefighters. The background caught my eye when viewing the club heads. Thank you for your service.

Mike
    Beautiful Scotties for sure. Please post a review
    Wyoming Cowboys
  • TexasRedTexasRed ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 83 ClubWRX
    Some great looking clubs in here. I alternate between my normal gamers (Titleist 714s) and a few backup sets (Mizuno MP-69s, Callaway Prototype **R**, and PXG 0311T (although not really blades)).
    edited February 22
    Scott SG-03 long winded review:

Little back story on what I've used lately. Last year I had mp-59 with a kbs 120 x stiff soft stepped 1x, MP-15 with PX LZ 6.0, MP-25 with PX 6.0, Cobra forged tee with recoil 760 F4, MP-18 4 Fli hi 5-6 MMC 7-P SC with PX LZ 6.0. I also have a set of MP-33 with PX 6.0's that I keep around and use for days when I want to work on my ball striking. I hit them well always but was scared to go back to a "blade" instead of all the cavity/muscle back options that I have been working with. We will discuss the MP-33 a bit later.

I played most of last year with the MP-18. I liked the feel and flight of the fli hi in the 4 and the MMC. However, I did not like the feel of the SC at all. I never felt like the ball came off the face well and they felt kind of dead to me. This very well may not be the experience of other users but for my swing, they weren't great. I considered finding the MB for the 7-P or going to the MMC to round out the set.

I thought back to which clubs I really loved and it was the MP-15 so I purchased another set with KBS in them and realized that I do not get along with the tour 120 so I stuffed Nippon Modus 120 S in there and I do like them. They feel good and I would be happy to play with them.

In the mean time I had a set of recoil proto 110 F4's sitting in my closet for a while now. I found a set of Scott SG-03 heads listed on the classifieds and loved the look of them. I thought the black heads with the recoils would be pleasing to they eye and I was just drawn to the SG-03. I couldn't put my finger on it, but after long discussion with the seller and researching I bought them. As soon as I got them in they seemed familiar. Off to the basement I went to pull out a MP-33 to see just how small or large the SG-03 was. Low and behold the SG-03 is almost a perfect copy of the MP-33 though it has the small relief cut in the toe. I was happy yet scared that I had just purchased something I already had. Either way I have been wanting to try a graphite shaft in a blade to see how it worked out for me.

I built the drying rack got my BB&F ferrules in along with the purple pure grips and got started on it. I built them like 3/4 over as I was afraid about swing weight and wanted to keep a heavier feel to the iron. They came out like D9-D3.5 stepped pretty closely down to where a MOI set should be. The only place it doesn't work is the 6/7 iron are a little closer though this didn't really bother me and it doesn't faze me when swinging. As soon as I swung them I felt like something just clicked. I had this shoulder pull and small over the top move. I now believe this was due to me trying to get the club closer to the ground due to a length issue. I have not been fit since the first JPX came out so it has been a bit, both age and body weight has changed, neither for the better.

The SG-03 plays very much like the MP-33, since it is very much like the MP-33. At times I feel like the top line is a bit more pronounced on the SG but that may be the silver blending and the black standing out. The blade length is also just barely smaller on the SG. With the Recoil proto's my ball flight is excellent I am hitting a baby draw with the ability to move it either way. The ball comes off strong though very soft if that makes sense. I spent an hour and a half at the local golf dome the other day out of I figure 150 shots I had 3-4 that weren't good my ball striking is always in the grooves though you def know when you catch it towards the toe or towards the heal. I have no monitor experience with them but I don't know if anything could kick them out of my bag based just on feel at this point.

I am keeping the MP-15 since if something goes awry I have a back up to the SG-03 and MP-33 that is suppose to be more forgiving. I would love to shaft 1 of the mp-33 up with a recoil proto or steel fiber to see how it fares vs the SG-03 but for now I am not going to mess with happiness.

My biggest issue with my game is off the tee, my driver usually has a fade that can be a major slice. My irons are normally pretty decent though I will say that my ball striking has never been as crisp as it is now working with the SG-03. I have a net set up and have been hitting 100-200 balls 4 days a week. I think the SG-03 is a definite option for those that don't care about new tech and want something that feels good. I would love to compare them to a set of miura or the other boutique options (NCW are a dream for me)

I do not know if I would spent $2200 on them...actually I know I wouldn't...but for the $500 I have into them, I'd do it again and again.

if anyone has any other questions I will do my best to answer.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • DFS PFDDFS PFD Advanced Members Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Sfd732 wrote:

Scott SG-03 long winded review:

Little back story on what I've used lately. Last year I had mp-59 with a kbs 120 x stiff soft stepped 1x, MP-15 with PX LZ 6.0, MP-25 with PX 6.0, Cobra forged tee with recoil 760 F4, MP-18 4 Fli hi 5-6 MMC 7-P SC with PX LZ 6.0. I also have a set of MP-33 with PX 6.0's that I keep around and use for days when I want to work on my ball striking. I hit them well always but was scared to go back to a "blade" instead of all the cavity/muscle back options that I have been working with. We will discuss the MP-33 a bit later.

I played most of last year with the MP-18. I liked the feel and flight of the fli hi in the 4 and the MMC. However, I did not like the feel of the SC at all. I never felt like the ball came off the face well and they felt kind of dead to me. This very well may not be the experience of other users but for my swing, they weren't great. I considered finding the MB for the 7-P or going to the MMC to round out the set.

I thought back to which clubs I really loved and it was the MP-15 so I purchased another set with KBS in them and realized that I do not get along with the tour 120 so I stuffed Nippon Modus 120 S in there and I do like them. They feel good and I would be happy to play with them.

In the mean time I had a set of recoil proto 110 F4's sitting in my closet for a while now. I found a set of Scott SG-03 heads listed on the classifieds and loved the look of them. I thought the black heads with the recoils would be pleasing to they eye and I was just drawn to the SG-03. I couldn't put my finger on it, but after long discussion with the seller and researching I bought them. As soon as I got them in they seemed familiar. Off to the basement I went to pull out a MP-33 to see just how small or large the SG-03 was. Low and behold the SG-03 is almost a perfect copy of the MP-33 though it has the small relief cut in the toe. I was happy yet scared that I had just purchased something I already had. Either way I have been wanting to try a graphite shaft in a blade to see how it worked out for me.

I built the drying rack got my BB&F ferrules in along with the purple pure grips and got started on it. I built them like 3/4 over as I was afraid about swing weight and wanted to keep a heavier feel to the iron. They came out like D9-D3.5 stepped pretty closely down to where a MOI set should be. The only place it doesn't work is the 6/7 iron are a little closer though this didn't really bother me and it doesn't faze me when swinging. As soon as I swung them I felt like something just clicked. I had this shoulder pull and small over the top move. I now believe this was due to me trying to get the club closer to the ground due to a length issue. I have not been fit since the first JPX came out so it has been a bit, both age and body weight has changed, neither for the better.

The SG-03 plays very much like the MP-33, since it is very much like the MP-33. At times I feel like the top line is a bit more pronounced on the SG but that may be the silver blending and the black standing out. The blade length is also just barely smaller on the SG. With the Recoil proto's my ball flight is excellent I am hitting a baby draw with the ability to move it either way. The ball comes off strong though very soft if that makes sense. I spent an hour and a half at the local golf dome the other day out of I figure 150 shots I had 3-4 that weren't good my ball striking is always in the grooves though you def know when you catch it towards the toe or towards the heal. I have no monitor experience with them but I don't know if anything could kick them out of my bag based just on feel at this point.

I am keeping the MP-15 since if something goes awry I have a back up to the SG-03 and MP-33 that is suppose to be more forgiving. I would love to shaft 1 of the mp-33 up with a recoil proto or steel fiber to see how it fares vs the SG-03 but for now I am not going to mess with happiness.

My biggest issue with my game is off the tee, my driver usually has a fade that can be a major slice. My irons are normally pretty decent though I will say that my ball striking has never been as crisp as it is now working with the SG-03. I have a net set up and have been hitting 100-200 balls 4 days a week. I think the SG-03 is a definite option for those that don't care about new tech and want something that feels good. I would love to compare them to a set of miura or the other boutique options (NCW are a dream for me)

I do not know if I would spent $2200 on them...actually I know I wouldn't...but for the $500 I have into them, I'd do it again and again.

if anyone has any other questions I will do my best to answer.
    They are good clubs, not $2200 good. I paid $1200 and can't even get an offer for them on BST for $300 with over $300 in grips and shafts installed.
    TC Rogue SZ 8.8* Pro Orange 70TX/ ACCRA TZ5 75 M5
    M2 Tour 15* Kuro Kage DC 70TX
    790 UDI Tensei Pro White 100TX
    4-PW Apex Pro 19 DG X7's
    50* MD4 Raw Tour issue S400
    55* MD4 Raw Tour issue S400
    60* Hi-Toe Tour Issue S400
    J-DAY Spider