Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Comments

• revanantrevanant Members Posts: 166 ✭✭

@Bigmean said:
    So is it fair to say that mp4s are the hands down best accessible blade (in terms of both quantity and price availability) currently
    Period?

Like if someone says “hey want to get blades what should I get” should it always just be mp4 as the correct response?

I felt same way hitting In stores, I don’t much care for the new one, I never cared for the 32-67 etc ones, but it seems like Mizuno nailed the MP4 then got off track. And I read on here, are they changing their forging a bit to make it more sense? I caught that in a miura Mizuno thread. No secret how I feel about miura but unless Mizuno nails it, Seems like not something they should mess with...

I think the MP-4 are definitely sitting in a sweet spot of price and availability right now. As for performance, I settled on them via a three-way comparison against the MP-69 and Apex MB.

The MP-4 has the thinnest topline of the bunch, and it’s not close. It felt better than the MP-69, and was neck and neck with the Apex MB.

I think the MP-4 is a lot better than the MP-18–the MP-18 suffers a bit from its thick topline, which was done to help it combo with the 18SC better, and doesn’t feel as soft to me.

Likewise, the MP-5 shifts the pendulum closer to a “more forgiving” club, with a thicker topline.

So, the MP-4 sits in a sweet spot of being an iron that Mizuno intended as a reset to cleaner lines after the MP-69, and later irons have shifted back to the direction of the MP-69.

Cobra King LTD
    Cobra Amp Cell 3W
    Cobra F6 Baffler 5W
    Mizuno MP-4 w/ Project X 6.0
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54-10 M
    Mizuno JPX 58-14
    Ping Redwood D66

• BigmeanBigmean Everything is Relative Members Posts: 4,920 ✭✭

So I am sitting st my desk and cleaning it (literally looks like the desk of 4 year old that hates trees and wants as many dead in sight as possible) and just came across a scramble flyer I said yes to like 3 months ago and it is this SAT!!!!!! I called the guy and was like is that this weekend? He was like yeah man, I straight up would have totally forgot, and he knew that and was planning calling me tomorrow.

Told him I played an easy 9 other week, didn’t make a putt and shot 8 over, but I had 5 pars and I hadnt played since last June so could be worse......he was silent, then said “we always do well, you are going to be fine”. I don’t get invited to these by him for my awesome sense of humor.....hahahaha

Ryoma Maxima 9.5*/Quadra Fire Express
    913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Roddio 21* hybrid/Tour AD DI75
    Miura 1957 small blades/Nippon 1150 tours
    Wilson Staff V4 tour modus 130
    Mizuno MP-14/DG300-raw finish
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59
    Gold's Factory custom original flat-stick amongst a couple dozen others.
  • leejohnkiehleejohnkieh Members Posts: 550 ✭✭

So I started my look into blades again and ended up choosing the Mizuno MP-18's in a combo set with the SC's. I can say that I have missed that buttery soft feel with these heads. One other blade I tried that looked pretty good was the new Srixon Z-forged. Very thin top line, satin finish, and larger boxy head size.

Team NIKE
    Titleist TS3 9.5 - GD AD-BB 7X
    Titleist TS2 15* - Diamana LTD D+ 80X
    Titleist 718 T-MB 3 Iron - Tensei Pro White 100TX
    Mizuno MP-18 MB/SC (4-PW) - DG X100 SS
    Titleist Vokey SM6 (50, 54) - Raw
    Titleist Vokey SM6 (58) - Brushed Copper
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M - 34"
    My WITB
    Tacoma Country & Golf Club Member

Nooooo, we just talked about this, MP4 was the right answer!!!!

Kidding(inside joke here), congrats and enjoy that feeling, it happens every round!

913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59
  • wmblake2000wmblake2000 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭
    edited May 10, 2019 2:32am #19086

OK, true confession time. So, I really did choose these MP4 based on making solid contact a high percentage of time. I’ve played enough blades based on looks or feel that didn’t really last.

So I’ve got permission to start hitting golf balls. (Thx doc! Uh, I sorta been doing this already, but also truth is, I don’t want to screw the eye up because you cant redo it, so I am def easing into full speed)

So all I have at the range are the irons in the bag to reduce weight... again eye precaution, don’t lift heavy weights for another couple of weeks. They are very shiny and stand out being alone in the bag.

4 different guys admire the clubs, make some kind of comment. 2 wistfully said they had played them. I think that was the most people ever admired my bag.

I’d be lying if I tried to say I didn’t enjoy that...plus I was hitting them great. I am a driving range pro, to be sure...

Ping GMax 400 10.5
    Callawy Epic 5W
    Callaway Epic Hybrid 2h
    Mizuno MP4 4-W
    Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W

I am imagining a dude with a pirate patch striping irons and lit by the blinding glow from only blades in a bag next to him.....women are grabbing their children that get too close and dragging them off in fear, and men are stopping jaw dropped in admiration at this mythical one eyed pro commanding his blades.......hahahahaha

Meanwhile my train wreck continues. I hurt my left shoulder last night at gym, from either bench pressing or fly machine, don’t know. I tried to hit balls last night after and really couldn’t. It didn’t like the whole through the ball move. So I stopped. I am hoping that the right amount of alcohol fixes this for tomorrow’s scramble, that sweetspot of swinging free but maintaining timing and balance....I am going to just do nothing till then. If I show up to this and don’t make putts, and can’t make swings this guy is going to kick me off the team...hahahaha

Speaking of driving range pros, I have never been one. One year this same team came in 3rd (at a super BS cheating event I think but whatever) I was on range and hoseled like 14 balls in warm up, then hooked some, first hole I hit an iron to like 8ft birdie and go...played well all day. The guy next to me at range gave me a funny look when they announced us as 3rd place at dinner hahaha.

913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59

I like that scenario except in mine the women are asking me to check their swing or something to that effect. But no pirate patch. 20/20 in one eye, 20/25 in the other. I can track white balls even in a cloudy sky.

I say if your pal in the scramble gets crotchety because you’ve missed the fairway again, that you use the Carl Spakler method and slice his Achilles. His weight displacement will never recover and he’ll quit the game.

Ping GMax 400 10.5
    Callawy Epic 5W
    Callaway Epic Hybrid 2h
    Mizuno MP4 4-W
    Cameron Futura 5W

edited May 10, 2019 8:33pm #19089

He will push everything off to the right......

That will work and I am gonna call you if I need that help!

But for now...cannonball!!!!!

913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59
  • bodhi555bodhi555 Members Posts: 736 ✭✭

@Bigmean said:
    So is it fair to say that mp4s are the hands down best accessible blade (in terms of both quantity and price availability) currently
    Period?

Like if someone says “hey want to get blades what should I get” should it always just be mp4 as the correct response?

I felt same way hitting In stores, I don’t much care for the new one, I never cared for the 32-67 etc ones, but it seems like Mizuno nailed the MP4 then got off track. And I read on here, are they changing their forging a bit to make it more sense? I caught that in a miura Mizuno thread. No secret how I feel about miura but unless Mizuno nails it, Seems like not something they should mess with...

This is my monthly contribution to this thread, suggesting the correct response would be the VR Pros :lol:

The Blue Thunder: Nike Vapor Fly - 9.5 degree - Speeder Evolution 757X
    The Stenson: Nike Vapor Fly 3W - Mitsubishi JvlnFX 74 X-Flex
    The Walking Stick: Titleist 818 H2 19 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 85X
    The Blades: Nike VR Pro 4i - PW - DG S400 TI Shaft
    The Rusties: Nike Engage 50, 54 Square Sole, 58 Toe Sweep
    The Putter: Nike "The Oven" Method 003
    Balls: Nike RZN Tour Black/Platinum, Bridgestone Tour B XS, Titleist AVX
    Bag: Sun Mountain Four Five

Also in Rotation:

Driving Iron: Nike Vapor Fly 2 iron - KBS C-Taper 120S
    Wedge: Nike Engage 58 Dual Sole
    Putters: Yonex Super A.D.X Tour Forged / Scotty Cameron Newport Oil Can / Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

How do you like the MR23? That was a cb on my eventual hit list....

Your yard is hands down the coolest thing going in this thread......

913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59
  • Christen_The_SloopChristen_The_Sloop Members Posts: 1,243 ✭✭

Thank you sir!

Mr23s are really nice. Super solid actually - but they kind of got lost in the shuffle of blades - Redlines, 87s, Conductor Pros - I've used in the last little bit and they also got knocked down a peg by the X300 FCI CBs. I put x100 in the MR23 and I always have in the back of my mind that they are too much for me, even if slightly. All that being said, I wouldn't have any problem bagging them.

The yard makes it feel like Christmas every day. There is something to knowing exactly how long the grass is too. Now, I just have to worry about watering it... And other accompanying problems that didn't really cross my mind until 3-4 days ago. Thank god for internet.

D - Titleist 915 D3 Tour Ad MJ 6X
    15 - Titleist 915 FD Attas G7 6X
    18 - Royal Collection SFD X7 Speeder 757X
    22 - Mizuno CLK Daimana Thump 90X
    3-PW - Mizuno TN87 Modus3 120S
    54 - KM Miura
    60 - Ping Eye2 XG / Ping Eye2 BECU
  • edgeratedgerat ClubWRX Posts: 199 ClubWRX
    edited May 11, 2019 4:09am #19094

This just in: Miura MB001 are much more fun to hit than Srixon 785s ;) erotic firmness

• KevinnzKevinnz Members Posts: 183 ✭✭

She makes me smile everytime balls fly off her face. Solid feel and great ball speed for a pure blade, in fact i get ball speed to 140mph and carry 215y, only about 20y shorter than my regular driving iron (0311p 3iron), given its weak loft.

That is awesome! Never seen the 1/2 iron before...

913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59
  • Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members Posts: 3,813 ✭✭

Had no idea they did a Y 2i. Very awesome stuff. More bounce?

Wyoming Cowboys

I thought it was 1/2 iron hahahahaha. I thought y grind blades were jdm only

913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59

@Bigmean said:
    I thought it was 1/2 iron hahahahaha. I thought y grind blades were jdm only

Yep Y grind, abit more leading edge relief jst like the mb001 as they didnt do mb001 for lefties, so Y grind is the closest we have towards the mb001.

@Kingcat990 said:
    Had no idea they did a Y 2i. Very awesome stuff. More bounce?

Abit more leading edge relief like the mb001, which I quite like for summer golf

So scramble yesterday went about as I expected. Definitely looked like I hadn’t played in 8 months save for the 9 holes. Was able to contribute some at least. We finished at 14 under and of course got blown away by an 18 and like 2 16s and 3 15s.....these are fun things and all that but there is cheating for sure.

913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59
  • boggymanboggyman Members Posts: 2,565 ✭✭

Never tell ‘em your score in a scramble, they’ll beat ya every time. > @Bigmean said:

So scramble yesterday went about as I expected. Definitely looked like I hadn’t played in 8 months save for the 9 holes. Was able to contribute some at least. We finished at 14 under and of course got blown away by an 18 and like 2 16s and 3 15s.....these are fun things and all that but there is cheating for sure.

edited May 12, 2019 10:50pm #19104

Not a whole set of blades but 8-P are. These were brand new when I got them. It’s between these, my beloved 17s, and my FG 100s that have graphite that are in a battle for the bag. I can’t justify the money for s NEW set, although I can easily afford them. Just makes no sense to me.🤷‍♂️

Post edited by boggyman on
  • mahoniemahonie Members Posts: 2,422 ✭✭

@boggyman said:
    Not a whole er of blades but 8-P are. These were brand new when I got them. It’s between these, my beloved 17s, and my FG 100s that have graphite that are in a battle for the bag. I can’t justify the money for s NEW set, although I can easily afford them. Just makes no sense to me.🤷‍♂️

That looks remarkably like a Staff Progressive? Bought a set new in 1996 and played 2-iron to SW for 12 years...lovely.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
    MD Golf Superstrong 3-wood UST Proforce 65 Stiff
    Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
    Mizuno MP4 4-PW DG S300
    Wilson Staff PMP wedges 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Radius Classic 8
    edited May 12, 2019 10:21pm #19106

Thanks. It is a Staff Progressive. I have a mint set in 3-P, they just will not beat the 17s sitting in the bag for tomorrow. > @mahonie said:

@boggyman said:
    Not a whole er of blades but 8-P are. These were brand new when I got them. It’s between these, my beloved 17s, and my FG 100s that have graphite that are in a battle for the bag. I can’t justify the money for s NEW set, although I can easily afford them. Just makes no sense to me.🤷‍♂️

That looks remarkably like a Staff Progressive? Bought a set new in 1996 and played 2-iron to SW for 12 years...lovely.

• sergizmosergizmo Members Posts: 2,742 ✭✭

@Woodrow said:
    Started with Wilson fluid feels, then Hogan Apex, moved to Accuform PTM, now make my own with Maltby forged heads. I'm 60 with a 10 handicap, and for some reason Ive always played better with compact forged heads. Did try some Mizuno cavity backs, but always went back to Accuform. Accuform made heads with 303 stainless steel. Very soft. Softer than the carbon steel. I'm very impressed with the Maltby MMB and TE models.

I have a set of Accuform PTM 3-SW and will game 4-SW this year. I think most sets are 304 stainless and a few 303. The ones with one ring on the hosel where a ferrule would be are 304 and 2 rings are 303.
    These are true blades: flat back, no muscle. Milled faces and grooves, way ahead of their time (80's). Made in Canada.

There's this rumor out there that if you miss the sweet spot in a blade, well, ball don't go far. I can now confirm this rumor as fact, as I have now made enough poor azz swings with MP4 to see wounded birds flailing in the air.

However, this isn't all bad. It really does make you search a little harder for more consistent solid contact. Which I seem to have found. I am so eager to have a few more days pass to get on the golf course because if I ain't Ranger Rick, I am his first cousin. Smacking the ball. Looking for sponsors and groupies. 'bout to have a golf orgy.

Ping GMax 400 10.5
    Callawy Epic 5W
    Callaway Epic Hybrid 2h
    Mizuno MP4 4-W
    Cameron Futura 5W

Well, in my possession now are new shaft, new ferrules and the load of weights I ordered from China to mess with the epic forged head.

I should be excited, but after that last episode I am feeling a little meh on the whole thing....

913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59
  • desailledesaille Members Posts: 1,653 ✭✭
    edited May 15, 2019 5:41pm #19110

Went back to these after a run with Miura & Cally Apex Raw MB
    Boyd ferrules are sweet!

• craz-ecraz-e Members Posts: 4,058 ✭✭

@desaille said:
    Went back to these after a run with Miura & Cally Apex Raw MB
    Boyd ferrules are sweet!

?

Driver = Ping G410 Plus even flow black 6.0
    5 Wood = Taylormade Burner

Irons = Miura 1957 Baby Blades Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wilson Staff FG59 DG S300's (4-PW)
    Titleist 718 MB Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56* and 60*

= Taylormade 64* Hi-Toe
    Putter = Wilson Staff 8882
    Ball = Titleist AVX